Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with the targeting?

2»

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Since you hit what ever you're facing, I rarely tab to target something. If I'm playing melee at the moment I'll use a charge attack, if I'm ranged the game just automatically hits what ever I'm facing. I love that you can interrupt attacks by using trees, or that you can sometimes line up multiple enemies and hit each one with some skills.

I've frankly been waiting some time for a fantasy (or in some ways steampunk) style MMOG to come out that didn't have auto-targeting and actually used hitboxes for attacking. I am beyond happy that GW2 is that game. Especially considering that even shooters have moved away from such systems.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by bcbully
    You can also set lock target in the options. So that it doesnt do it automatically. /Thread

Nah that doesn't work either.

Look the game is good. It's not perfect. This is one of those things that should be brought up to standard.

You should report a bug then, I have lock target that was also one of the first things I did because I am a ranger and kiting around quite a lot, when I target a mob whether its hitting a skill and it will auto target nearest or I actually tab target/click on a mob the target will stay the same until I target something else or its dead.

Dont know why you had to bring up the game is good but not perfect, completely unrelated, its not working on your client, lock target works for me, I am probably one of the most critical people about GW2 here.

Same, I turned on target lock, and don't have a problem with losing targett.  i can twirl around like a drunk monkey and my target stays locked.  The only exception to this is if I am running past a mob and don't attack it, even if it follows me, when it runs back it drops target after a distance.  But this is to be expected, as I should have a target that is half a zone away.

Same here lock target works for me just fine I never loose the target unless it is out of draw range for me.

Maybe do a /bug ingame and report it.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    You can also set lock target in the options. So that it doesnt do it automatically. /Thread

Look the game is good. It's not perfect. This is one of those things that should be brought up to standard.

This is the problem with GW2 ultra fans. The see no wrong. Bugs are features to them.

Yeah.  It does.  It's in the options.   And losing target is also not a bug it's a design choice.   You may not like the design choice, but for many of us it's much better than those idiot games that lock you on.  

And, no, your memory excuse from another post is rubbish.    Go learn some karate, Tae Kwon Do or some such and start tournament fighting.   See where your 'memory of where the dude that just knocked you out' was gets you...

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Does this happen when targeting Mesmers?

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I kinda encounter this problem after some random patch we get everyday.

At first I thought it had to do with me constantly holding right click (Since they forgot to add an option to have turning camera with mouse movement) but I keep on seeing it and it's a little annoying. 

To give a better explanation, you're fighting and you turn too much or something and you will lose target. (And while this is a game that doesn't need to target some classes are more efficient in targeting mobs 1 by 1 as they don't have that many aoes)

This didn't happen before it started happening after some patch.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

This is the problem with GW2 ultra fans. The see no wrong. Bugs are features to them.

You can set it up in options NOT to drop target.

Even if you turn and run and keep trying to spam skills it keeps the same target until it dies or gets out of range.

It is NOT set up that way at game stat but the options are there.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's not a bug... I've never had problems with targetting.  Now if people don't like something, they call it a bug?  I guess that was inevitable, but then again, look who the OP is.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    The targeting works perfectly for me, though I never really need to target, except for my clones. I sometimes forget to target something and ill teleport backwards and no clone comes up...then I 'face-desk' as I wait for its cool down and spawn some other clones.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Is there a way to fix  targeting by using left click instead of right one? i have been looking into option but nothing so far. I use right click to turn camera and many times i target mobs especially in tight spots while turnning with mouse.

Bite Me

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    It's not tab-and-forget.  It drops if you lose line of sight, but you don't usually have to hit tab.  If you keep attacking, it retargets nearest enemy, within LOS, automatically.  Works a bit differently than most MMOs, so takes some getting used to.

If you turn your head you lose your target. You will constantly drop from enemy to friendly aswell.

I've probably played more than most. This is not a getting used to thing.

Yes, LOS for your character.  You don't have eyes in the back of your head.

You can turn while strafing.  That helps keep things on target if you are kiting.

No, no eyes in the back of your head... You do have memory though right? If you turn you head you don't forget who you were looking at do you? Turning your head and losing your target is not a feature. It's fine if your just spamming dmg. 

I do. I remember shooting both pistols, and long guns, in real life. Also bows, I have also thrown balls, sticks, frisbees, lots of stuff. If I were to target something, and then look away, I will need to reaquire said target.

Having a memory and being psychic are different things.

GW2 is "semi-action" combat. TSW also breaks target if you loose LOS. It is a sign of the times, gone are the CoX, where you could keep a target through floors, walls, entire zones.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    The only time this happens to me is on the Shatterer and tequatl
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I have had an issue with targeting with my Necro at times, well not a real issue; more like challeges. I have played the game with the default settings since day one and have used it as a more challenging feature.

There are times where I target mobs I don't want to target and promptly get my ass handed to me if I am not careful.

I have noticed now though that the higher level mobs and maps have a bit more AI and tend to drop my target more often if they stealth or dodge my attacks. My minions sometimes decide to attack a mob well out of my intended area testing my resolve.

Now and then this is frustrating of course but I choose to accept it as a challenge instead of a bug.

This makes me question some of the "too easy" threads I have seen around here though. Maybe those players should consider changing the target options to include some more challenges if the game is such an easy-face roll game. Food for thought I suppose.

Good gaming.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

I've played a combined 200+ hours between BWE's and since launch and have not experienced the issue you speak of.

Though you seem to just be around here to pick fights...  I wish this site would start PERMA banning trouble makers.

This is the problem with jaded TSW ultra fans. They defended their craptastic game even when it had glaringly horrible character graphic animations and over look the garbage and then come here and start fights with Guild Wars 2 fans...

TSW's character animations, movment animations should have been brought up to standard...   I've not seen anyone "seriously" have a complaint about targeting within Guild Wars 2.  Lets stop trying to pick fights with Guild Wars 2 fans just because your favorite game turned out to be trash.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Apropo

I've played a combined 200+ hours between BWE's and since launch and have not experienced the issue you speak of.

Though you seem to just be around here to pick fights...  I wish this site would start PERMA banning trouble makers.

This is the problem with jaded TSW ultra fans. They defended their craptastic game even when it had glaringly horrible character graphic animations and over look the garbage and then come here and start fights with Guild Wars 2 fans...

TSW's character animations, movment animations should have been brought up to standard...   I've not seen anyone "seriously" have a complaint about targeting within Guild Wars 2.  Lets stop trying to pick fights with Guild Wars 2 fans just because your favorite game turned out to be trash.

Why you have to be so mad?

It's one of the little flaws GW2 has. That along with my Elementalist automatically firing at random targets when I switch elements after combat.

There is also issues with the lighting graphic not going away with scepter/focus.

The game isn't perfect and pointing out the many flaws of the game we paid for is something we should have a right to do. We would do it on the official forums if they had them.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

there is a difference in pointing out a flaw and picking fights,  the op is always wording things not to point out flaws but to try and start fights with GW2 fans just look at how he replies...

Yes I agree with your points of flaws in the game, What he pointed out isn't a flaw and I have not experienced it nor have the 25+ guild members I play with on a daily basis now over 200+ hours EACH game experience.

Mad? not really just wish MMORPG.com would remove some of the trouble makers.

I have many valid things I do hope Anet fixes soon but the targeting hasn't been an issue atleast not to anyone I know.  And this thread isn't about the many problems the game has its about Targeting and bcbully trying to start a fight with the people who he thinks "will give the game a pass"...

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Maybe because this is far from the first time bcbully has started this kind of thread and personally attacked other people?  I don't know, maybe you think it's cool and ok because "GW2 fans are annoying".  I've heard that one plenty.

Of course you're also the guy who thinks there are tanks in GW2, even with no power over aggro, so what do I expect?

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I have the same issue on occasion as the OP.

I have the option ticked that promotes skill target (I think that is what its called anyway) - and yet I will very often have green targets during combat. Im a melee thief btw, a dual dagger x2 one.

I dont aquire green targets just by having them between me and a hostile. I dont know if this is what you mean happens to you, but I am asuming not.

If you do aquire green targets you are probably moving and dragging your mouse to turn your character. that drag translates into a click and your target gets lost to whatever your mouse was hovering over. - Thats what I think happens to me.

I use a naga and turn my character with the mouse, I also strafe with the mouse, and these drag movements very often end up giving me new targets. Its insanely difficult to unlearn, and its deadly to a whirling ninja on a staircase :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Maybe because this is far from the first time bcbully has started this kind of thread....

Good thing I did since the dev seem to think it's an issue too.

Game Designer

First of all there are a handful of targeting bugs that we are addressing right now.

Once those are solved we will try and design a stickier targeting option for those players that want to keep their target a little bit better.

Personal tip since this happens to me a lot. I lose my target a lot because I am ground targeting and click a bunch of times to fire it off, after the skill has fired, the subsequent left clicks end up deselecting. I have started using my mouse to aim, but double tapping any ground target skills on the keyboard which has mitigated a lot of my issues.

Jon

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"