Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is actually my best MMO experience in the last 10 years

13»

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Psychow

Originally posted by coretex666
    Congratz. I am still waiting for a game that will provide me with better experience than Warcraft.

Although people aren't willing to admit it, you are probably right. There's a reason it's been the #1 MMO for all this time. It is/was fun.

Fun is such a subjective thing but i agree that WOW is number one for a reason. Only a good game can stay on top for 8 years in a row.

Bite Me

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Oh yeah, I forgot to ask... what's an "ESKA"?
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I love the downscaling because it keeps the world alive even moreso than other mmo's where once you out level an area it becomes a dull grey (mob) place that seems dead.  Gw2 keeps the world relevant incl scaling up the loot drops. 

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

to be honest this is the best themepark ever built in my opinion. I liked eq, wow, lotro and especially daoc, but i think this one has them all beat. I may be a little biased as i have never liked progression raiding.

-combat actually has depth if you care to look for it.

-dungeons are actually challenging.

-equipment is about strategy not about getting the best set. You need to decide what you want because there is no best setup.

-the world is fatastic and nothing else comes close to it.

-it has details everywhere.

-i love the events. Ive soloed some events and zerged them as well. loads of fun.

if i was to complain it would be that you cant raise the camera vertically and it doesnt have any sandbox elements...yet..

all this for 60 bucks..ive paid 60 bucks for a bucket of chicken.....its an amazing deal.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by rungard

to be honest this is the best themepark ever built in my opinion. I liked eq, wow, lotro and especially daoc, but i think this one has them all beat. I may be a little biased as i have never liked progression raiding.

-combat actually has depth if you care to look for it.

-dungeons are actually challenging.

-equipment is about strategy not about getting the best set. You need to decide what you want because there is no best setup.

-the world is fatastic and nothing else comes close to it.

-it has details everywhere.

-i love the events. Ive soloed some events and zerged them as well. loads of fun.

if i was to complain it would be that you cant raise the camera vertically and it doesnt have any sandbox elements...yet..

all this for 60 bucks..ive paid 60 bucks for a bucket of chicken.....its an amazing deal.

Agreed! (and damn I really hope that was an entire fried Golden Moa and not just one chicken :O)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by rungard

Yeah, so far I think that's the most legitimate complaint, most of the other complaints I've seen are due to personal preference, but that camera is just downright unfair in tight spaces.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Congratz.

I am still waiting for a game that will provide me with better experience than Warcraft.

Although people aren't willing to admit it, you are probably right. There's a reason it's been the #1 MMO for all this time. It is/was fun.

Fun is such a subjective thing but i agree that WOW is number one for a reason. Only a good game can stay on top for 8 years in a row.

I never could get into WoW.  Tried it in 04 and ran screaming after a month.  Played EQ2 for 5 years in a hardcore raid guild.  Loved eq way more than I could ever get into wow.  The super low quality graphics in wow actually gave me headaches.

Watched many wow raids and eq2 raids were comparable or more sophisticated (hard to beat) on average.

Nw that I have more responsibilities i have less time for a hardcore raid gear grind - enter gw2 :)

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Congratz.

I am still waiting for a game that will provide me with better experience than Warcraft.

I agree with both. Bought GW2 mostly because my guildies wanted me to play the game, played some betas got hyped because the game seemed really good (too bad i didn't do too much PvE), when game went live played for one week got bored as hell and got myself thinking... "who am i kidding? this game is no WoW".

Oh well, a new lesson learned. After that i re-subbed WoW after like one year and a half without playing and im having a blast again... it's OLD, it's TRADICIONAL, but it's FUN!

Like it or not, WoW is still the most polished MMO outhere and the one that offers more content. Either people like blizzard or not, they are one of the few companies outhere that know how to make addictive games, games above average.

Another thing that turned me off in GW2 was arenanet, i dislike the way they handle things.

To all of you who love GW2, i wish you have a great ride, the game is just not for me! And hopefuly a few months from now you're still playing the game with the same joy you are today.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sleepr27

Like it or not, WoW is still the most polished MMO outhere and the one that offers more content

to each their own - but tell that to EQ with 18 expansions and EQ2 w 8 expansions

EQ just announced their 19th expansion with 5 more levels and 13 more raids

what does MOP bring?  3 raids

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Nadia

Like it or not, WoW is still the most polished MMO outhere and the one that offers more content

to each their own - but tell that to EQ with 18 expansions and EQ2 w 8 expansions

EQ just announced their 19th expansion with 5 more levels and 13 more raids

what does MOP bring?  3 raids

But obviously EQ content doesn't even touch WoW, in therms of quality. Forgot to mention that. :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

But obviously EQ content doesn't even touch WoW, in therms of quality. Forgot to mention that. :)

for overall quality i agree

but if raiding is your thing - EQ delivers the same quality raids as WOW and more raids

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by Simsejensen

Im just saying, whats so enjoying after you have dinged 80?

Go back to "x" city to be downscaled and do the maps - i highly doubt someone actually think that is fun.

No end game "raids" etc to get better gear. Level 80 gear is level 80 gear.

Grind the same dungeon 1000 times to get the cosmetic skins they want.

Sit in WvW que for 2-3 hours.

Grind up an absurd amount of mats to build legendary weapons.

I sense that the hater is strong with this one. But all joking aside, I think you're 'numbers' are a bit exaggerated. The WvW queues...sure on day 2 of the release when the servers were over loaded.

Grinding a dungeon 1000 times? I dont think anyone has done one 50 times, let alone 1,000!

An absurd amount of mats? Not really. And atleast you are (almost) guranteed to get the item instead of having a 1/20 chance of getting it and a 19/20 chance of failing and wasting all your effort. Also gathering the mats is quite effortless, and if you're too lazy to do even that then just go buy them from the trading post.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Congratz.

the reason why wow is still #1 is like the same reason why some people have a hard time breaking up with their first real boyfriend/girlfriend even how much of loser/scumbags they later turn out to be.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

And do you know why?

Because i have learned to be casual.

Because i havve learned to accept a game as it is.

Because i have learned to enjoy the small things again.

Because i have learned to play to have fun again.

Because this game is actually different then all the other games released in the last 10 years.

Because Combat is so engaging with an incredible amount of depth.

Because my friends are enjoying the game too

Because i am immersed and enthralled by a beautifull world every time i log in.

I could give many more technical reasons, but they have all been explained till death.  Point is this is not a power gamers game, and not an achievers game and it might actually never become one of those. This game is for the majorrity of gamers, the casuals, people that take time to appreciate things and enjoy content. 

I am an ESKA.....

image image

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

What a strange post.... you post as if you are a born again christian after finding god lol.

I don't think the game is very different at all from the past 10 years worth of games. Perhaps you haven't played too many? There are a few small variations though. Also, the combat isn't that in depth at all. It's still a pretty basic system. I've played much more in depth MMO's. With all that said, I still like the game so far.

• gambitknightgambitknight Member Posts: 12
    This game is very well made, I fully expect people to be playing this five years from now and thinking the same thing
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Zzad

Im just saying, whats so enjoying after you have dinged 80?

Go back to "x" city to be downscaled and do the maps - i highly doubt someone actually think that is fun.

No end game "raids" etc to get better gear. Level 80 gear is level 80 gear.

There is A LOT of info about the game out there.... doing some research won´t hurt you.

I highly recommend to do so before buying a game.

No, there are no Raids or gear grinding in GW2 as we know it from previous games like (wow-rift-swtor etc)

But ffs you should know that by now.............. specially if you are playing the game....

If theres no gear grinding, no raids, no housing and whatever. Why would you stay in the game? Im still after some answers what people are doing after theyre max level.

Besides entering the zerg filled WvWvW

you could just leave the game until new content for your tastes comes out. There is no sub fee, so no reason for you to stick around indefinitely.

Guild Wars 1 you reached max level really fast. like 80-90 percent of the PvE was done at max level, and there wasn't a gear grind either. They had the prestige gear that looked really cool and titles. Several years later people are still playing that game even though they probably achieved max level in their first week or less lol.

The point is you play to enjoy the content.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by madazz

What a strange post.... you post as if you are a born again christian after finding god lol.

Lol.  It's the messiah !! :P

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I def feel that this is the most desire I have to log in since WOW. I had that for a little while with Warhammer, a lot with Lord of the Rings Online even though I didn't like the classes until RuneKeeper (but by then I was burnt out), and SWTOR for the first couple of months was awesome, but this is the first one since WOW that sort of has that charm you cant put your finger on that makes me want to come back. I hope I feel the same way in 3 -6 months. The game has LOTS of room for improvement, but so does every MMO.

There Is Always Hope!

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Hyperwolf

[mod edit]

Anyway OP, I mostly agree with you. Just logged off from playing for four hours straight which is something I haven't done in a game in a long while. I've played MMO's going back to EQ, and I do feel that  - for me at least - Arena has gotten something very right. I admit i'm very much the sort of gamer who likes to do whatever may come. I'm not a structured efficient player, not in a hurry, not overly concerned about doing things in the optimal order.  I like to just get online and look around, explore a bit. Do some pvp, do some wvw, craft a bit, hang out and chat to people on Mumble., etc and GW2 seems to cater very well to that style of gamer. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but for those it is for, it's great. 

And for me the combat is just right, much more enjoyable than WoW combat ever was. I'm looking forward to making some alts soon and seeing some of the other storylines and starting areas. I can see a lot of depth in the PvP combat, especially in teams, which is no surprise considering GW shone in that arena. 

[mod edit]

Thank you MMORPG.com. Rolling through a large number of posts by one of your 'spotlight' members that contain nothing but attempts to inflame the thread, to remove my legitimate comment pointing that out makes perfect sense. I note you've done nothing about those so I've kindly submitted a large number of reports for you to follow up on. Have a nice day. 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

The best thing about this game is that people actually help each other. Is it a bit selfish because it makes things easier sometimes? Sure. But generally speaking people have helped me out even with nothing to gain themselves. It's refresing since I'm more accustomed to strangers cutting me off in traffic or taking up 2 parking stalls than helping out.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.