Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So now what?

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

In the 10 days since release, I have:

* Reached level 80

* Completed all the areas I came across to 100%, including Orr ones (except Straits of Devastation which I left at 98% because in my server there is a skill point bugged ever since pre-release)

* Leveled Artificier and Tailor to 400 and crafted myself a full Rare/Exotic (orange) gear set, weapons included (with seldom Trading Post aid - stil not working most of the time).

*Finished the story mode and all the instances, including Arah in Explorable mode with a PuG (someone said this was supposed to be a challenge for the months to come?).

* I don't like the PvP in GW2. (WvW is Wintergrasp all over but even more zergy, structured PvP is broken and completely off balance in every possible imaginable way).

So, what is left for me to do?

Sure, I've played 5-10 hours a day, but I'm noticing people are already quitting the game, and 10 days after I started playing this mmo what can I do to entertain myself? Because I remember how GW1 got me addicted for months and was so much more challenging and difficult to progress through and achieve your goals. But here it appears I've reached all the goals I'd care for in barely a week.

Mind that I'm not complaining that I didn't get my budget for the price I paid, since I've paid the same for games I've uninstalled in 2-3 days and I've still felt satisfied. But I've come from playing WoW during over six years, and I refuse to believe 10 days is all I'm getting from this "new Jesus in mmo form". 

"Get a life" comments, please abstain. The fact that anyone replies here means they at least care about playing mmo's and voicing their opinions as much as I do. I'd like comprehensive replies as to what can I really look forward to now in Guild Wars 2, anything that a PvE'er like me could find somewhat entertaining other than farming low level hearts in other starting areas. Those are just a disguised form of grind, and a tedious one at that.

This is not a troll post, either. It sounds snarky because I feel deceived, but I'm actually hoping someone will tell me what I'm missing that will make GW2 a long-term source of fun as it was promised to be.

I think Isabelle wrote a piece for you. Let me find it:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/6045

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

* Reached level 80

* Completed all the areas I came across to 100%, including Orr ones (except Straits of Devastation which I left at 98% because in my server there is a skill point bugged ever since pre-release)

* Leveled Artificier and Tailor to 400 and crafted myself a full Rare/Exotic (orange) gear set, weapons included (with seldom Trading Post aid - stil not working most of the time).

*Finished the story mode and all the instances, including Arah in Explorable mode with a PuG (someone said this was supposed to be a challenge for the months to come?).

* I don't like the PvP in GW2. (WvW is Wintergrasp all over but even more zergy, structured PvP is broken and completely off balance in every possible imaginable way).

Sure, I've played 5-10 hours a day, but I'm noticing people are already quitting the game, and 10 days after I started playing this mmo what can I do to entertain myself? Because I remember how GW1 got me addicted for months and was so much more challenging and difficult to progress through and achieve your goals. But here it appears I've reached all the goals I'd care for in barely a week.

Mind that I'm not complaining that I didn't get my budget for the price I paid, since I've paid the same for games I've uninstalled in 2-3 days and I've still felt satisfied. But I've come from playing WoW during over six years, and I refuse to believe 10 days is all I'm getting from this "new Jesus in mmo form". 

"Get a life" comments, please abstain. The fact that anyone replies here means they at least care about playing mmo's and voicing their opinions as much as I do. I'd like comprehensive replies as to what can I really look forward to now in Guild Wars 2, anything that a PvE'er like me could find somewhat entertaining other than farming low level hearts in other starting areas. Those are just a disguised form of grind, and a tedious one at that.

This is not a troll post, either. It sounds snarky because I feel deceived, but I'm actually hoping someone will tell me what I'm missing that will make GW2 a long-term source of fun as it was promised to be.

Play properly.

id wager you played alot more than 10 hours per day, you were a closed beta tester or you had alot of help.

either way your in the catagory where theres nothing they can do for you. Theres no game out that could match your apatite for content.

if im wrong and your sincere though.. roll an alt.. do some wvw.. take a break..you can come back anytime.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Speire
    If a game wants to continue itself, ithere has to be an open world mmo, mounts, houses, guild castles towers, political system, conquer system. We can see this only in UO and that game died in 2003.

So obviously it doesn't help a game continue itself after all?  Or did you just mean "for a little while longer" rather than indefinitely?  In which case, aren't you splitting hairs on what the meaning of "continue itself" is?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
     check out the posters history. Since the first minute of pre release all he has posted is GW2 sucks. My guess is he is just another pissed off Wow fan

I miss DAoC

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

I know it's cliched to say stuff ike "get a life/girlfriend/etc.", but jesus dude...  DId you actually stop and look around? enjoy the gaming experience at all? Or did you just tunnel through with blinders on to get to some imagined "end"?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I notice a trend, people that rush to max level at release are short lived, I saw this in SWTOR (I know one guy that hit 50 in 2 days and ran out of ideas on what to do in the game after).

Don't rush to max level next time.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by nilden
    It does not matter what the activity is if you do it for 10 hours a day for almost 2 weeks your going to suffer from exhaustion. That playstyle says a lot about your lifestyle and let's face it we all know playing video games 10 hours a day is not healthy. Variety is the spice of life, do something else.

You gotta be balanced its not good to do too much of anything. Like he said^^^

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

GW2 does offer a lonf term source of fun, the problem is you seem to be looking for the prolonged grinding for achievements/gear which isn't whats offered. 

Have you seen the grinds for cosmetic gear?

I hope not because your statement is so far from the truth.

While you may find this "Nu Uh"  reply well thought out and meaningful it is not. The only grind that exists in this game is that which you decide to make. Then again, considering who posted this I'm not sure why I wasted my time replying lol. 

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

OP just swallowed whole ice scream in once stroke and now he got brain freeze. there is no need to concern people who rush  and ruined a fun game.

10days maxed everything must be.....lifeless

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Jagarid
    Originally posted by Speire
    If a game wants to continue itself, ithere has to be an open world mmo, mounts, houses, guild castles towers, political system, conquer system. We can see this only in UO and that game died in 2003.

So obviously it doesn't help a game continue itself after all?  Or did you just mean "for a little while longer" rather than indefinitely?  In which case, aren't you splitting hairs on what the meaning of "continue itself" is?

i mean for example, you can't destroy towns or defend it if there is no event. if you can't create or make your own event you can't make the game continue itfself. it is called replaying itself.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Hate to say this but few mmo cater for supercharged powergaming.if i could be bothered i would bring out similar posts from wow and rift stating having got bored in first month.most mmo are pretty light in content at launch.thus pointless to pl it at launch.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Im surprised youre still alive, be careful youll end up like those guys that died from exhaustion while playing diablo 3.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by hercules
    Hate to say this but few mmo cater for supercharged powergaming.if i could be bothered i would bring out similar posts from wow and rift stating having got bored in first month.most mmo are pretty light in content at launch.thus pointless to pl it at launch.

Like I said, GW2 has loads of content to do, you may level up to 4000 levels more on top of level 80. So have fun. this mmo isn't light on content, go ahead and try that. At the least, you have to level 1000 levels, have fun......

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OP -

Honestly, don't know what to tell you.   I haven't reached max level yet, but I know at some point I will get bored of this one too.  Prior to launch a lot of people were overhyping this title to unheard of proportions suggesting you could play this game for years and years with no boredom in sight.  (People do that with every game around here).

If I were you, I'd shelve the game and look for another game to play.  That's what I'll do when I'm done with this one.

Good luck.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Since release, I've been playing this game anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day and I'm currently sitting around lvl, was it 34, on my main char. Dont see the point of rushing since I'm for a change having fun on each area I hit.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Legendary items.. yeah I read what you need to craft one. Among other things, 250 Shards of Zhaitan, and you get 4 per boss killed in explorable mode. Sounds like Aion all over in that aspect.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the ass when it requires some actual effort to craft something labled as "legendary".

Lazy people like you are the direct contributors to the downfall of this genre.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

So what do you do now? Either take a break until more PVE content gets put in or enjoy the other aspects of the game that you are avoiding. There is NO game out there that can possibly keep PVE content rolling at the rate that players gulp it down. At some points, the player has to get off the spoon fed content and find his own fun in the game. 

With your crafting skills, why not try and craft epic gear for the rest of your server?  Try and become the best artificer or tailor around.Join a guild and help others with their quests. Go around those random areas and help defend them from the bad guys. Meet new people and form relationships. 

And just for FYI, I don't play the game. But this is a common pattern I notice with every MMO. Players get through all the spoon fed content and then can't figure out what to do. From what I'm seeing there is plenty of stuff n this game to do  to bide time until more PVe is created.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Torchlight and Borderlands are right around the corner.

You choice is Alt, PvP, or go over content again. But I don't think you needed to ask us to know that.

Or would you like me to say, when you started the game, you know where you went straight, well if you take a sharp left turn there is a little cave there, hard to see. Enter that and you go into the otherside of the world and it's 3x larger then the world you just went through and much better.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Since release, I've been playing this game anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day and I'm currently sitting around lvl, was it 34, on my main char. Dont see the point of rushing since I'm for a change having fun on each area I hit.

The point in rushing to 80 in GW2 is if you do want to PvP, you will gain advantages. Now if you don't PvP, doesn't matter when or if you ever get there.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

* Reached level 80

I have been playing everyday since launch, and playing alllot.  Im level 30.   You are what they call a power leveler.   You dont even realize it either.  Its just your play style.   MMO's arent designed around people with your play stytle, they are designed around people like mine.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by snapfusion

(...)

I have been playing everyday since launch, and playing alllot.  Im level 30.   You are what they call a power leveler.   You dont even realize it either.  Its just your play style.   MMO's arent designed around people with your play stytle, they are designed around people like mine.

I would say the opposite. Most MMORPGs give distinct advantages, often economical ones,  to those who are ahead of the zerg; i.e. the design encourages rushing. 

Games with Stamina system that restricts the amount of time someone can play the game while still gaining exp & loot, do not grant this advantage to rushers.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Grind dungeon sets or skill levels for legendary items. That's about it.
  • LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    There is now way you did all that playing 5 hours a day, closer to the 10 or even more.  What do you expect, you blew threw the game.  Might try this thing called getting a life or going outside.

Good MMO's replace real life.

This could not be any more true. You guys want something that doesnt exsist anymore. A good MMO.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by xpiher

I have a feeling GW1 was probably one of your first MMOs, which meant that you were still learning the system. I beat GW1 2-3 weeks every time after a new addition was released. The only reason I kept playing was PvP and trying to make my character look cool. GW2 isn't different in that regard. Not sure why you were expecting more? Of course, once all the bugs are worked out, I'm sure that ANET will release a couple free content updates.

I also think you have rose colored glasses for GW1. The PvP in GW1 was horribly imbalanced. 

I suspect the same, but have yet to read through this whole thread to see whether or not this is correct or close to correct.  Either way, I think it would be helpful for him to reflect back upon whatever his first MMO experience was--or whatever his first engrossing MMO experience was--and ask himself if that same experience would engross him quite as much today. 

I know when I think back upon vanilla WoW, which wasn't my first MMO but it was the first one to truly enthrall me, I certainly do so with fondness.  I ran the hell out of BRD emp runs, UBRS, LBRS, Strat timed runs and Scholo, and then the same with the Dire Maul dungeons when they came out, including tribute runs.  I really couldn't get enough.  Even after I had half T2 when BWL came out, I was still motivated to go through the whole lengthy quest to obtain the upgraded version of dungeon set 1. 

So why bring this up?

Because I can confidently say that if I was presented with this very same content or content of the very same caliber today, it wouldn't hold my attention for even a fraction of the time it did then.  I don't think my capacity to play an MMO for an extended period of time has necessarily diminished, though perhaps it has somewhat; I just think some of the novelty of certain MMO experiences is gone forever, never to return--for example, endless dungeon crawling.  And it just doesn't matter how different the dungeons or combat or gameplay are.  The simple dungeon grind mechanic itself has lost a little luster for me.   

I think you hit the nail right on the head ....since leaving WOW I've never had any intrest in "having to do " anything .if something is fun I'll do  it but the days of being forced through a tunnel are long gone in my game play

The thing is that endless dungeon crawling is in GW2 if you want to do it.

Not sure who that's in response to.  But anyway, my point was simply that I think there are people who have grown tired of certain MMO mechanics (endless 5 man dungeon runs was an example I chose--you know, stuff that players kept players playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours) and who will never desire to religiously participate in such mechanics again, and yet who also still expect [insert awesome new MMO here] to hold their attention for the same amount of time as their old favorite MMOs.  Once they find that their new MMO isn't holding their attention as much as the old stuff, they're left thinking the new game doesn't have as much content, which may not be true at all.  Indeed, I I think GW2 has an astonishing amount of content for a new MMO. 

Rather, for these players, I think it is their interest that has changed a bit, not the amount of content.