Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to having fun?

Comments

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me how there is no progression.

I don't think it's a lack of progression, but a sense of it feeling meaningless.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly, not getting more and more numbers on you gear.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

I have no problem with those who enjoyed their gear grinds or just the progress of gaining that new piece of gear.

What I do have to wonder about is why are you in GW2 forums talking about such when this game never advertised to be that type of game? It has always displayed itself to be exactly what you see now so harping about it at this point is kind of pointless to be honest. If someone leaped into this game and didn't know this it isn't the games fault but the individual who did not do their own research into mechanics of the game.

For me GW2 is exactly as it advertised itself to be and I am having fun because of it. I knew what I was getting into and knew it would of the makings that I actually enjoyed. I didn't go leaping into Darkfall when it came out because I knew I did not enjoy the FFA PvP mechanics behind the game. It would have been rather pointless to do so then turn around and complaing about the game for doing exactly what it said it would be. None the less it seems we continually see posts complaining about such an issue with GW2 as if it lied to them or something.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Zhauric

I have no problem with those who enjoyed their gear grinds or just the progress of gaining that new piece of gear.

What I do have to wonder about is why are you in GW2 forums talking about such when this game never advertised to be that type of game? It has always displayed itself to be exactly what you see now so harping about it at this point is kind of pointless to be honest. If someone leaped into this game and didn't know this it isn't the games fault but the individual who did not do their own research into mechanics of the game.

For me GW2 is exactly as it advertised itself to be and I am having fun because of it. I knew what I was getting into and knew it would of the makings that I actually enjoyed. I didn't go leaping into Darkfall when it came out because I knew I did not enjoy the FFA PvP mechanics behind the game. It would have been rather pointless to do so then turn around and complaing about the game for doing exactly what it said it would be. None the less it seems we continually see posts complaining about such an issue with GW2 as if it lied to them or something.

People got hyped up for a game they knew nothing about, it makes no sense really.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Exactly, not getting more and more numbers on you gear.

you are though.. look at stats between white and yellow gear huge number difference there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I don't think it's a lack of progression, but a sense of it feeling meaningless.

have you gotten high level then returned to low zones? you definitely feel a lot more powerful than when you played that zone at its appropriate level

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Gaming is mainstream. Most of it is regurgitated ideas that are shallow enough for the masses to consume. MMOs are pop music now. Some of the best fun is in our rearview mirror.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zhauric

Could you be more specific with what you mean with "gear grinds" and "progress of gaining that new piece of gear",? Because, if you mean it in a general sense, GW2 does indeeed have both parts.

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

EVE can be fun, if you are in the right corp (newbie corp lifer here).  It's also a game one can be passionate about, which is different than fun but not bad either.

While I'm enjoying my time in GW2, there are some non-fun things (leveling, haven't even tried crafting cause I know I'll hate it, etc).

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Just because you CAN grind because mean you NEED to grind.
    Just because you CAN grind because mean you NEED to grind.

^ which is the best part imho.. it has a pretty damn big gear grind as previous MMOs in the past but you aren't locked into the NEED to do it to enjoy all of the games content.. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I had fun with both styles of games

Guess I'm just cool like that how I can quantify fun without feeling the need to insult someone else

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Don't get what you're trying to say, but I play games to have fun.  So, not sure what you are trying to convince me to do.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

have you gotten high level then returned to low zones? you definitely feel a lot more powerful than when you played that zone at its appropriate level

I haven't bought the game yet, so can't speak of high level progression.

However, during my time in the BWE, while i do love the skill system and the way it mixed with combat, i didn't feel like i was getting all that more powerfull. I reality, yes i was, but i didn't translate very well in-game. By the time i had most of my skills and got some good looking armor, it felt somewhat complete.

It's also the reason why i don't care for insanely huge grinds for cosmetic items. I love "cosmetic vertical progression" (getting more variety), but since i'm a warrior, a fighter, it feels logical to me that i try to obtain some kind of superior power to define my class, being it a weapon, a special skill, etc.

It's not something that can be defined IMO. Making something feel meaningfull differs from person to person. Also, i'm not a fan of vertical tier progression either.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    So what happened to play for fun? 

(Snip)

It's the mmo answer to ut or similar where the main key is having fun. 

But I guess it sucks suddenly playing a game where gear and not skills saves your bubbling ass in arena. 

Brain dead zealot grinders are so much last year. I never understood it. 

I just came here to check out what is going on with GW2 and I just had to make a reply to this. Sorry but though you claim your post is an answer to trolls, you actually are trolling those who dislike the type of gamestyle GW2 has to offer and prefer games like WoW. You really do come across rather poorly by saying "brain dead zealot grinders".

Guess what? People like different things, there is no reason to insult them for what they enjoy and spend their money on!

Almost all RPGs have some form of progression through ability, level, gear-grind, etc.. It comes from their roots in games like AD&D, which had a gear grind of sorts in it and a skill-progression through experience. Anything can be considered a grind, not just going out and acquiring gear. There is always some form of repetitive play in these games, that is what makes them a cohesive entity.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Lorkii
    Originally posted by seridan
    Fun was dead until GW2 came along now we can finally play a game for fun. It's just sad that it took the industry so many years to reach this point

See this is the shit, that so called haters respond to and get jumped on. To me GW2 is easily one of the least fun games created. Am I right not for everyone, but to me it plain sucks.

Sure thing - GW2 will most likely not be "fun" for those who need a gear carrot, that feeling of superiority because they invested tons of hours in the game and therefore deserve to one hit noobs, completely disregarding balance and other people's fun.

GW2 is for people who played UO or AC1, along with people who were looking for a game without the frigging gear carrot which rules the genre for like 7+ years at least.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Guess I'm just cool like that how I can quantify fun without feeling the need to insult someone else

Yay!!! Great Attitude!!!

Boo!!! Kinda a contradictory statement >.>

Originally posted by MurlockDance
    So what happened to play for fun? 

(Snip)

It's the mmo answer to ut or similar where the main key is having fun. 

But I guess it sucks suddenly playing a game where gear and not skills saves your bubbling ass in arena. 

Brain dead zealot grinders are so much last year. I never understood it. 

I just came here to check out what is going on with GW2 and I just had to make a reply to this. Sorry but though you claim your post is an answer to trolls, you actually are trolling those who dislike the type of gamestyle GW2 has to offer and prefer games like WoW. You really do come across rather poorly by saying "brain dead zealot grinders".

Guess what? People like different things, there is no reason to insult them for what they enjoy and spend their money on!

Almost all RPGs have some form of progression through ability, level, gear-grind, etc.. It comes from their roots in games like AD&D, which had a gear grind of sorts in it and a skill-progression through experience. Anything can be considered a grind, not just going out and acquiring gear. There is always some form of repetitive play in these games, that is what makes them a cohesive entity.

I agree he would have been better to "self censor" some of the terms he used.

On the other hand I can definitely appreciate his frustration for one reason - he posted this here in the GW2 forums where we are hourly having to deal with pretty much the same 8-10 people regurgatating "Hater" threads. If he posted this in the WoW Forum everybody should go after him as a "hater" and a "troll" - and the same applies to somebody trashing Sandboxes in the EVE Forums.

Also all of these posts would be inapproprate in the Pub section.

But can you see where it might get really freakin' annoying to have the same 8-10 people show up in every GW2 thread (including all the positive ones) and rant?

Can you also possibly imagine how exciting it is for those of us who have been wanting and dreaming about a game like this to finally get it? And for it to be soooooo good (at least for us) 

The people who crave "progression" have their games. Sandboxers can definitely use a little help. But to tell us we can't get excited, happy, and maybe a tad over-enthusiastic about our preferred game in our own forums area?

Nope, not buying that one sorry.

EDIT: How did this suddenly end up in the Pub? When I wrote this reply it was in the GW2 General Section?!?

Originally posted by Stx11

Yay!!! Great Attitude!!!

Not really. Don't see how that insults anyone considering that is what was said. Not like I'm putting words in his mouth.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

I haven't bought the game yet, so can't speak of high level progression.

However, during my time in the BWE, while i do love the skill system and the way it mixed with combat, i didn't feel like i was getting all that more powerfull. I reality, yes i was, but i didn't translate very well in-game. By the time i had most of my skills and got some good looking armor, it felt somewhat complete.

It's also the reason why i don't care for insanely huge grinds for cosmetic items. I love "cosmetic vertical progression" (getting more variety), but since i'm a warrior, a fighter, it feels logical to me that i try to obtain some kind of superior power to define my class, being it a weapon, a special skill, etc.

It's not something that can be defined IMO. Making something feel meaningfull differs from person to person. Also, i'm not a fan of vertical tier progression either.

odd and i agree it can be subjective but as I unlock more traits and open more utility skills and get better equipment I definitely am feeling more powerful as I level.

Yay!!! Great Attitude!!!

Not really. Don't see how that insults anyone considering that is what was said. Not like I'm putting words in his mouth.

You're right. It's my fault for applying "history" to this - you certainly have your share of "attack dog" posts here /wink

odd and i agree it can be subjective but as I unlock more traits and open more utility skills and get better equipment I definitely am feeling more powerful as I level.

Yeah it is there for me was well. Oddly enough I notice or should say feel it more in WvW than anywhere else. I can take out people a lot quicker now on my ele since he's in the seventies with appropriate gear than in the the thirties. Gear certainly makes a difference in this game as does the trait enhancements.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Hm. Why did my thread regarding gw2 get into public pub?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Hm. Why did my thread regarding gw2 get into public pub?

i blame Mad King Thorn!

You're right. It's my fault for applying "history" to this - you certainly have your share of "attack dog" posts here /wink

No doubt

Just never as to what they find fun :P

I'll be the first to admit I can go into that mode pending on the subject or issue being discussed. Although to be fair some have been misconstrued that way when I'm simply being blunt. I post like I talk and where I'm from that is how we debate and dicuss things. There are times someone thinks I'm angry with them or flipping out when in reality this couldn't be further from the truth. Rarely happens to me in real life but seems on forums things get misconstrued at times.