Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any word on DUELING?

Just curious if there has been any mention of implementing a duel feature?

Frankly, I'm surprised it's not in the game already... what with being an MMO staple and all.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

Comments

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    there has to be a small area for duel that everyone can watch in cities. that would be great.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Would like to see this as well, it's a great feature to have when you're waiting on that last groupmember to show up before a dungeon etc. as well.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• untam3duntam3d Member UncommonPosts: 12

At one time or another, I've seen ArenaNet say that they'll look into adding dueling post-release(dueling was suggested often during the beta weekend events) if there is enough request for it.

Right now though, their #1 priority is making the game work for everybody. I think there's a reason why the suggestion forum isn't open yet on the official GW2 forums, and it involves the fact that their devs are already overwhelmed with just fixing up the game.

Once they've gotten the game to a more stable state and have reopened digital purchases, I imagine they'll start putting a good bit of effort towards further updating the game, i.e. balancing, adding content, looking over and possibly implementing popular suggestions, etc.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Speire
    there has to be a small area for duel that everyone can watch in cities. that would be great.

Imagine 50 people overlapping in a small arena. Skil effects everywhere... wow.... epic... lame...pathetic!

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard
    Just curious if there has been any mention of implementing a duel feature?Frankly, I'm surprised it's not in the game already... what with being an MMO staple and all.

except it's not

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Isn't there an arena area in the Heart of the Mists where you can do this? Thought I saw it on the map when I was tinkering around in there.

I don't personally care if they make it available everywhere or not. Kind of fun at times to pass the time if you're waiting for someone to start a dungeon run or someone wants to test out a build/ability.

Can also be annoying when you run into those that duel spam or treat dueling like it is a championship tourney.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

http://imgur.com/a/ySDRa#7

From ages ago.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Personally, I've always found dueling to be somewhat of a gimmick feature. I, for one, have never really enjoyed it as a form of practice or fun. A few reasons for this:

One, people just love following you and spam dueling you. Or that kid who just has to prove that his e-peen is bigger and won't stop requesting duels. Thankfully, most games allow you to turn this feature off.

Two, as a form of practicing pvp its a bit lack luster as a duel can only meet so many conditions. For instance in an actual 1 on 1 pvp setting in the field there is no timer that counts down to allow you to prepare, there are no 'unwritten rules' of combat, and everything goes. In a duel most people would say things like "no pots, no scrolls, no flying(Aion), no fear, etc). Some people will just take it for what it is and fight fair and square, but not always.

Three, I just don't care for it. I didn't buy a game to sit around dueling. I bought it to play with my friends, have fun doing DE's, WvW, and sPvP, and I don't care if one feature that I never used is excluded.

NOW does that mean that the feature shouldn't be added if the demand for it is high enough; no. I think everyone has a right to their opinion and should enjoy the game how they choose. If dueling for hours and showing everyone that you're the best is your idea of fun then who am I to say otherwise?

Whether or not they add dueling or not I simply wouldn't care, though I'd be the first to turn it off.