Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need GW2 to fail

Comments

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Is this like Rage-quitting before you even start?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    No, we need WoW to fail...
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I'm still unsure if this was a joke post or if he's serious, and which parts are which.

Mind is boggled.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Hand has been placed on face.
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

You really got issues if your comparing some toasts for your son to MMO's.   With that out of the way.   Devs will always make copy/paste MMO's WoW style as long as people keep paying for them , and at the moment , the MAJORITY of the MMO playerbase are willing to pay and play crappy copy/paste MMO's.  Can you blame the Devs? Somewhat.  But in the end you need to ask yourself what racks in money.    

On to my favorite topic : Take CCP for example , with their P2P model EVE-Online which has been working and still going strong for the past 10-12 years.  CCP are well aware that EVE-Online isn't made for everyone and not everyone will enjoy it , but as long as they are in the green when it comes to revenu (Which they are by millions!) they won't change a thing of who they are and what EVE-Online is all about. 

My point is that Devs needs to stop trying to be hybrid and accomodate everyone.  If I see a half decent MMO with a 10$ price tag on it per month , I will most likely jump into it.   A MMO doesn't need millions of profits a month in order to be succesful.  So at the moment we're in a bind , since Devs want to hog the most people as possible , put in game contents that aren't compatible with each other , and we end up with a shitty game community that doesn't have a clue of what a MMORPG is suppose to be like.  

On a side note , Torchlight 2 releases in 2 weeks , I'm willing to wager that if Runic Games decided to put a 5$ monthly fee on TL2 , it will still do ALOT better then Diablo 3. And they created TL2 in under 3 years with alot less people then what Blizzard had working on D3 for at least double the time.   

To conclude , the MMO industry will wake up when it's community / player base remove their heads out of their asses.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

+11000000 agreed !!!!!

We dont need Fastfood MMO

• My parents taught me to make eggs and toast by the time I was 6.

If I demanded of my dad or mom to make me toast at age 9 they would have said "make your own damn toast you big baby" and if I cried they would have both ignored me and my sibilings would have made fun of me.  If I went from one to the other I would have either gotten a scowl of disdain from the second one and told to listen to the first.  Of course they wouldn't have fobbed off the whole situation on the other to begin with an undermined their united front.

Not that they didn't make eggs and toast for anyone who was around rather regularly, but if you had a special request you wanted and they were doing something else they expected you take some initiative and didn't brook no crying about it since you were taught and demonstrated your ability for years.

I think you may be very much mistaking the root issues here.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by ronpack
    No, we need WoW to fail...

... image

• ToxicmoonToxicmoon Member Posts: 23

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

I don't care what everyone else says, that's funny. XD

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Make your kid some fucking toast already...before the creepy, sweaty- palmed , greasy -maned  freak in the window-tinted,dirty white van down the street makes it for him.
  • david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

just pointing out that you want a zombie mmorpg and TSW is kind of that but you don't get to play a zombie which would be cool as hell. Also i need to know how you got away with not making the toast? if my child woke up her mother because i wouldn't make her toast I most likely wouldn't be typing this response right now, so how did you get away with that?

Peace

Lascer

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    If it hasn't been said already; I think the real problem is that your 9 year old doesn't know how to make thier own toast.
  • akkilla1akkilla1 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    well the main point i got out of his story is there all copies of other games -and he must not like gw2 lol..Bring something new to the table game making noobs-or-Newbs however u wannna put it.. :if u didnt get this out of the main story i think u all missed something lol
    had to sign in as akkilla1 cuzz cant remb old pass/email for orig
    Originally posted by coretex666

I see your point. It is quite controversial.

I think that the problem with this is that you may want a game which YOU do not like to fail in order to shift the evolution of MMOs in a direction YOU would like more which does not take into account preferences of other people.

Maybe someone else may want GW to succeed in order to influence the MMO developers to choose the path which Anet has chosen for their MMO and build on that.

• marcusreidmarcusreid Member UncommonPosts: 4

Quote:

Besides your email you used to get to the point, I agree with your general idea, I've played MMO's for almost 20 years now, and we are sort of at a standstill in innovation.

I can point to afew novels as examples "Net Force: Explorers" show a example of what a MMO of the future will be, noted the technology isn't upto the standards that are used in the books BUT we are getting there, and half of the innovations shown in the novel's mmo world setting (one of the books in the series has a mmo based story) shows examples of building towns, cities and such.

The final fact that caught my eye in that particular novel was that the game was a generational mmo, one that had been built up from WoW'ish origins at a tech level we have today, into a mmo we'd dream about in the future.......

food for thought !!!

Oh and to your example of your son and the toast, dont be lazy, teach him how to make it himself :P

Cheers

Marcus Reid

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    watch this thread is more fun than play gw2, besides, i want to make clear that money = quality is an absurd fallacy (take look on swtor for example), guess the crash is needed, because the investors are the plague and not the cure. 
  • ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

Kinda interesting that you want something different than normal. Why do you think the secret world sucks? It should be exactly what you ask for.

It is a horror inspired mmo, and it has a "1 server tech" so you actually can play with millions of other people if they all subscribe. At least 200.000+ people has bought the game at least. 

Who knows if they can/will add the other things you want but... my main pointis... the game is different and you say "its crap" and want it to fail. Why dont you play it?

How can you expect any sane developer to make a game that isnt mainstream now? it seems mainstream is what generates the money (enough players buying and subscribing/spending money in cash shops)

For successfull gamedevelopments like you want, you should buy the different and unusual games like 

Fallen earth

Darkfall

and probably alot more games like these that tried another approach.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Make your son some toast and stop thinking , leave that to smarter people who know what they are doing , Titan etc
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

What kind of person would make his wife cook breakfast?  You make the wife and kid toast, eggs, beacon, biscuits and orange juice.  You put half the food on the table before the kid wakes and you go to his room and quietly say, "Hay, pajama boy, time to rise an shine."  He gets up, rubs his eyes, goes potty.  You say, "Wash you hands."  He does and you lead him to breakfast at the table.  Then you get a bedside tray and put the other half of breakfast on it and take it to the bedroom where wife is.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• <ignore post, was trying to post in another thread>
  • sozztsozzt Member UncommonPosts: 4

By the time you apes realize that its the community that makes the game, its dun man.

Never satisfied

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

ZOMBIES?! DUDE SO ORIGINAL! DID YOU JUST BEAT THE GAME?! WHAT A JOKE LOL

GUESS WHAT GW2 DIDNT FAIL AND WON'T FAIL. IT HAS NO MONTHLY FEE AND ALL US FOOLS GONNA BE STOPPING BY AND SPENDING TIME IN TYRIA FOR YEARS TO COME. GO PLAY HELLO KITTY ONLINE. OBVIOUSLY YOU CANNOT HANDLE HIGH FANTASY VIDEO GAMES SINCE YOU WANT *PRISON MMORPGS* THATS GOING TO SELL A LOT LOL

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Prison mmo eh.tell me more
  • Raijak92Raijak92 Member Posts: 4
    Dumbest thing I've ever read.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

This is why the internets make you dumber....cry...

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

This discussion has been closed.