Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is actually my best MMO experience in the last 10 years

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

And do you know why?

Because i have learned to be casual.

Because i havve learned to accept a game as it is.

Because i have learned to enjoy the small things again.

Because i have learned to play to have fun again.

Because this game is actually different then all the other games released in the last 10 years.

Because Combat is so engaging with an incredible amount of depth.

Because my friends are enjoying the game too

Because i am immersed and enthralled by a beautifull world every time i log in.

I could give many more technical reasons, but they have all been explained till death.  Point is this is not a power gamers game, and not an achievers game and it might actually never become one of those. This game is for the majorrity of gamers, the casuals, people that take time to appreciate things and enjoy content. 

I am an ESKA.....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

True, but I can still see room for improvement.

Every game seems to bring something new to the table.  I wish I had everything I loved in one MMORPG.

GW2 is pretty darn close to everything .. but I can still see the flaws, even with the inferface.  Still it's the best MMORPG around though, for sure.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Karteli

Every game seems to bring something new to the table.  I wish I had everything I loved in one MMORPG.

GW2 is pretty darn close to everything .. but I can still see the flaws, even with the inferface.  Still it's the best MMORPG around though, for sure.

even though i love this game, it does have its flaws and there is definitely room for improvement. however, what makes me very happy is that arenanet always seems to make good on their promises and are always trying to innovate and whenever they put effort into something it shows.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally... god this is going to sound horrible... this is one of the worst MMo experiences I've had for a big name game. Sure it didn't stick out as a SWTOR bad for me, but it just felt so lack luster. Its made me come into the game and finding myself just generally bored after such short amounts of time. Now now, I'm not saying its a bad game, just initially its a game that... just didn't captivate me at all compared to other MMos in the past.

You mention combat being exciting, yet I feel extremely gimped. No its not cause I'm bad, but because the controls in the game are not very smooth. To me combat should be skill based, not because of how it controls but because what you do to play it. I wish they had either a simple targetting system or an aiming system (aim prefered) not the mess of what seems like a mix between them two and leaves me feeling so disoriented in trying to hit something and my character does anything but hit them. I'd pass it off if GW2 was the only 'action' (which can be argued) based MMo around, knowing it won't be as good as something like Vindictus or Dragon nest or other Acade style Stage based MMos, but the fact Tera came up showed that combat can be done smoothly without much trouble. 

I don't hate the game, but experience wise its just not remotely as good as I would hope. There are so many games out in the last 10 years that impressed me more then GW2 managed. I'm having fun, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure if I'm having fun because I'm liking it or fun because its curing boredom since I have nothing else to do. 

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

and not an achievers game 

For a game full of things to achieve I'm not really sure what you mean by the above .. explain ?

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

And do you know why? Because i have learned to be casual.Because i havve learned to accept a game as it is.Because i have learned to enjoy the small things again.Because i have learned to play to have fun again.  Because this game is actually different then all the other games released in the last 10 years.Because Combat is so engaging with an incredible amount of depth.Because my friends are enjoying the game tooBecause i am immersed and enthralled by a beautifull world every time i log in.  I could give many more technical reasons, but they have all been explained till death.  Point is this is not a power gamers game, and not an achievers game and it might actually never become one of those. This game is for the majorrity of gamers, the casuals, people that take time to appreciate things and enjoy content.  I am an ESKA.....

Pretty sure you said similar things about swtor lol,wonder how long you will last with this game.

Oh and GW2 is a good game and a labour of love from ArenaNet but if you have suddenly found all these new things because of a game then you need to get out more.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

You have a point, but GW2 needs less than any other game that I've played n the last 12 years though.  I think that's a very good sign and it should bode well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

@ the OP

I share your values for enjoying your game time ,it however does not mean GW2 delivers,it just means you have good values and i agree.

The one comment that makes no sense is the "accept a game for what it is".Well of course this is true,i am not one that has ever tried to take a game the developer sells and change it.I simply look for the game that i want,then i want tha tgame to remain the same with out a complete over haul.

This however does not mean a game is any good for me or anyone,it just means we accept the game that is delivered.

So although i share your values,the point is we all have our own opinion on what a game should deliver.

You will NEVER get two people looking for complete opposite games to agree however when comes to "technical" i do have a check list.It doesn't mean it has to be perfect but certain technical things have turned me off since the first day i started gaming.

One of those very things is static buildings.I don't like single faced buildings or buildings that have no insides,it is totally unrelasitic and a LAZY effort  by the developer.The reason i look for these types of things is,LAZY once,LAZY always.

Where i can accept cutting corners is for example "jumping",we don't need people finding map glitches or getting stuck.I remember people getting ridiculolus over sitting in a chair just becuase Wow did it.It looks good ,adds realism but there are MANY other aspects of gaming to meet before that one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Same here.

GW2 is all i wanted in a MMO, finally !

Having a blast with the game!

imageimage

imageimage

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I agree with the OP

I'm having so much fun in this game, something that no other MMORPG had managed to do on this scale. Every time I log in there is so much to do, and so much happening, that I simply can't stop playing. This is the perfect world to "live" in, and changes depending on player action is a big plus on immersion. The world is huge, easily one of the largest worlds out there, beautiful and handcrafted, and there is so much to everywhere it is near impossible to get bored.

Combat is exciting and extremely challenging, a perfect mix of action and traditional skill-based combat. The controls are smooth and the animations amazing. Combat is 100% skill based meaning gear doesn't have a major impact in it, a good player will dominate hard fights with skill alone and I really like this and it hasn't been done in other MMORPGs before.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SimsejensenSimsejensen Member UncommonPosts: 51

I just dont get it.. And its annoying. Really wanted to GW2 to be "my next big thing".

Combat - gets boring and dull fast. You're using the same skills from level 10 to level 80.

Hearts, yeah a good thing to stay at "x" spot. But really? Kill X and Y, gather this, and defend blablabla.. ZSzzZZzZ

What are you doing at level 80, thats sooooo enjoyable ?

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

And do you know why?

Because this game is actually different then all the other games released in the last 10 years.

I could give many more technical reasons, but they have all been explained till death.  Point is this is not a power gamers game, and not an achievers game and it might actually never become one of those. This game is for the majorrity of gamers, the casuals, people that take time to appreciate things and enjoy content. 

I am an ESKA.....

There have been lots of different games in last 10 years. I think you just didn't play them or just forgot to mention them in all your excitement.

Bite Me

Originally posted by Simsejensen

What are you doing at level 80, thats sooooo enjoyable ?

If you didn´t enjoy the game at all leveling to 80.... don´t expect that to change.

Im just saying, whats so enjoying after you have dinged 80?

Go back to "x" city to be downscaled and do the maps - i highly doubt someone actually think that is fun.

No end game "raids" etc to get better gear. Level 80 gear is level 80 gear.

Go back to "x" city to be downscaled and do the maps - i highly doubt someone actually think that is fun.

There is A LOT of info about the game out there.... doing some research won´t hurt you.

I highly recommend to do so before buying a game.

No, there are no Raids or gear grinding in GW2 as we know it from previous games like (wow-rift-swtor etc)

But ffs you should know that by now.............. specially if you are playing the game....

"Go back to "x" city to be downscaled and do the maps - i highly doubt someone actually think that is fun."

I actually find that more fun than raiding or doing daylies or dungeons over & over & over with my eyes closed just to get a piece or armor...but hey! It´s all about preferences....

Originally posted by Zzad

There is A LOT of info about the game out there.... doing some research won´t hurt you.

No, there are no Raids or gear grinding in GW2 as we know it from previous games like (wow-rift-swtor etc)

But ffs you should know that by now.............. specially if you are playing the game....

If theres no gear grinding, no raids, no housing and whatever. Why would you stay in the game? Im still after some answers what people are doing after theyre max level.

Besides entering the zerg filled WvWvW

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Best game I've played this year easily! I Admit I had 0 interest in this game and me and a gaming buddy just bought it because nothing else was out. Having no expectations made me look at this game in a clear light. A CLEAR LIGHT OF HOLY COWBELLS BATMAN THIS GAME ROCKS.

Most fun I've had grinding to 80 ever. Fact.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

If theres no gear grinding, no raids, no housing and whatever. Why would you stay in the game? Im still after some answers what people are doing after theyre max level.

Well I would imagine atm people are just playing the game .. It's only been out just over a week .. now will people still be finding things to do in a month or 2 or 3 ? Who know's and we will not know until they/we get there.

You can grind gear for cosmetic purposes,some skins are HARD to get.

You can go for your Legendary weapons.

You can do endgame dungeons and their explorable mode (hard modes).

You can reroll Alters and get to know their unique starting areas & storylines.

You can reroll any class and experience a new story choosing different paths in your story (yes,they branch)

You can do Achievements just like in any other MMO.

You can max all crafting professions.

You can explore the whole world (it´s amazing and DE make it a fresh new experience everytime you go somewhere you´ve been before)

The only big diffrerence is the lack of instanced raids really....but dungeons are as challenging if not more than traditional raiding.

But most of all....just enjoy the journey...do not rush to "ding" 80...there is not such point in doing so.

Stay in the game if you are having fun...as simple as that ;)

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Grind the same dungeon 1000 times to get the cosmetic skins they want.

Sit in WvW que for 2-3 hours.

Grind up an absurd amount of mats to build legendary weapons.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Purutzil

You mention combat being exciting, yet I feel extremely gimped. No its not cause I'm bad, but because the controls in the game are not very smooth. To me combat should be skill based, not because of how it controls but because what you do to play it. I wish they had either a simple targetting system or an aiming system (aim prefered) not the mess of what seems like a mix between them two and leaves me feeling so disoriented in trying to hit something and my character does anything but hit them. I'd pass it off if GW2 was the only 'action' (which can be argued) based MMo around, knowing it won't be as good as something like Vindictus or Dragon nest or other Acade style Stage based MMos, but the fact Tera came up showed that combat can be done smoothly without much trouble. 

I get what you mean, but do believe TERA had an extreamly bad execution of an aiming system. It was boring to me. Aiming system works great in fast pased combat, but in slow MMO'ish type of battle it does not work for me. I got bored extreamly quickly from having to keep aiming at the same target for a long period of time. I love aim-based combat, but really really needs to be faster pased. I think Savage 2 has a great combat sytem for an MMORPG. It is aim-based, quick enough to really be about skill, but still slow enough to keep the MMO feeling. 

The combat in GW2 is not to bad, but really sound to me you wanted/expected something completly different. For me the controls are smooth and the only aim-based attacks are area of attacks skills. Maybe you lagging or having a low FPS that causes problems with this? 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I just dont get it.. And its annoying. Really wanted to GW2 to be "my next big thing".

Combat - gets boring and dull fast. You're using the same skills from level 10 to level 80.

everyone will have different opinons and thats fine

but this statement is flat out wrong

the only way that is true is if you are talking about weapon skills  (half your skill bar)

the other half of your skill bar you unlock with levels and earning skill points

for PVE, players have no access to elite skills until level 30

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Same for me - GW2 is a sort of mix between Asheron's Call 1 and World of Warcraft, with some added unique features. Awesome game. First time in ages that I'm still up at like 3am playing because I'm simply having fun and don't see the time pass.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

And do you know why?

I am an ESKA.....

You sure you are not trying to convince yourself this as to make that nagging feeling its all going to be over very soon bearable? Your points seem to be get out of jail excuses for when you stop playing.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Of course there is, there are a lot of things that needs to be done in GW2, things from balancing to bugcrushing to more content.

MMOs always need an expansion or 2 to fully shine, even if the world is pretty large and full with stuff to explore more variety will help, and it will be interesting to see how the DEs will evolve with time.

But I agree with OP, I havnt had so much fun gaming in 10 years.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Calerxes

You sure you are not trying to convince yourself this as to make that nagging feeling its all going to be over very soon bearable? Your points seem to be get out of jail excuses for when you stop playing.

Or he may just enjoy the game for years to come... the difference of opinions and tastes is something I would expect a so called "spotlight poster" to understand... but I lost that illusion long ago.

What will your out of jail card when GW2 bearks sales records before the end of the year? Oh yes, I already know it: "it's F2P, there's no sub, so you can't count!".

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !