Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers merge and characters reset (SKILL-WIPE)

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

This late summer will mark a major turning point for Ryzom. It has been 8 years since Ryzom's launch and since then we have always kept all three worlds and every character. This represents today over 500,000 players.

Unfortunately, with the current market and financial enviroment, we have had to make a difficult, but necessary decision, for the continuation of the game of Ryzom:
Saturday 22 September, we will regroup and merge the communities and servers to form one single community, with one server.This will clear and reset all characters. Your account (login, password, etc.) will remain unchanged.
Attention: the names of new characters will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, so do not wait to recreate your character if you wish a particular name.

We know that you have spent a lot of time on your current characters. It is you that has helped keep this game running as long as it has. You are an unbelievable community that other MMO games and players envy. We would not have made ??this decision if there was an alternative, and we realise that many of you will be dissapointed. We ask for your support to make this transition as painless as possible.

Changes in the new world
Outposts will no longer give experience catalyzers.
All subscribed accounts will earn twice the XP of non-susbscribed accounts.
Adjustments of the prices of NPC vendors.
The WebIog has been improved to allow the easy addition of new applications (which could be encoded by players).
New achievement system.

Advantages of a new beginning
All players will be in the same universe and therefore you will have a more alive, interactive world.
The price asjustments and reset will restore the value of the dapper and trade.
You will be able to create multi-national guilds for advantages in online presence.
You can discover or rediscover Silan and Atys with your (new) friends.
With everyone starting again from scratch, you will be able to show others what you are capable of and who are the stronger and more skilled Homins of the New Ryzom.
More Customer Support available during the day and more frequent events.

Events before the new beginning

Starting from tonight and until the closing of the old servers, we will implement a series of events that will help you earn "starter packs" on the new server that will facilitate your progress in the game. The best pack contains, amongst other things, a set of level 200 white Marauder Medium Armor.

These events will also give you a way to earn the ability to reserve and save the name and looks of your favorite character.

Before the closing of the old servers, you will be able to have new experiences, such as having unlimited money, items that you have never owned before, and many other things to discover...

Contest for the launch of the new server

Thanks to SirCotare during his internship at Google Summer of Code, we have a new achievement system. To celebrate this and to give you a chance to familiarise yourself with the new system, we will have a contest that will begin on the opening day of the new server, with the following challenges:
The 3 players with the most achievement points after 2 weeks (8 October, 2012 at noon GMT).
The 3 players with the most achievement points after 3 weeks (15 October, 2012 at noon GMT).
The 3 players with the most achievement points after 4 weeks (22 October, 2012 at noon GMT).
The first 3 player reaching level 250 in any skill.
1st prize: an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560TI / 480 / 570 graphics card.
2nd prize: an original drawing made with indian ink and used for the design of Ryzom.
3rd prize: an an unlimited subscription to Ryzom.

(Limited to one prize per Ryzom account.)

Schedule
From this evening and until the shards closure: a series of events and competitions. Don't miss them!
Saturday 22 September: festive evening where players and developers will be present for the last moments of Aniro, Arispotle and Leanon.
Midnight Saturday 22 September: final ingame countdown and closing of the old shards at midnight.d
Late afternoon, Tuesday, 25 September: opening of the new shard and launching of the achievement contest.

Thank you all again for your support and dedication and see you soon!

Ryzom Team

Source: Ryzom Forums

Looks like Ryzom will be dead after this action :(

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

bleh, isnt noone dependble anymore in the world.

wipes everywhere , SWG , DF and now Ryzom the garant for stability .

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Wow... sad news. As good as the community is in Ryzom, I don't know if it can survive something like this. When you've invested several years into a character, and then it's wiped, what incentive do you have to keep playing?

I hope I'm wrong, but this could be the beginning of the end for Ryzom.

Riotgirl

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Nizur

Somewhat my reply on FB (where the announce was linked) as well. Onec again, Ryzom will die from the looks of it. On the other hand, it might be a good start for players like me who were far too late to start the game...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Yep the last time I had to experience a player wipe was on a MUD, and that was prety much the death of the game to me.

Attract 100 new players for every 500 that get pissy and leave.  Makes sense.  Fincancial problems are now a distant memory, along with the corporate office and anything tied to the business, including personal homes.

Well done!

ps: SOE did something like this with SWG, eh? .. although not a player wipe, it was a quality wipe.

Riotgirl

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• lovechiefslovechiefs Member UncommonPosts: 157

This may be a blessing in disguise.
    I have tried Ryzom a few times, but each time, I ended up playing by myself and bored.
    This may give a new life to Ryzom

• LudisLudis Member UncommonPosts: 14
    This will be the end of Ryzom.  Just one more management mistake in a long line of them.  There is no way the few new players they attract will offset the loss of all their veterans who will leave and never come back.
    Riotgirl
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

While I think the answer seems obvious, I'm just curious to hear from an insider. What has been the reaction of the active playerbase? Are their forums exploding? Or do the players who have invested hours/days/weeks into their chars understand for the most part? I know there will be some who are very understanding, but are most of them pretty ticked off? Are many declaring their intentions to leave and never come back?

Thanks for any insight. Just curious really.

Originally posted by Jimmac

While I think the answer seems obvious, I'm just curious to hear from an insider. What has been the reaction of the active playerbase? Are their forums exploding? Or do the players who have invested hours/days/weeks into their chars understand for the most part? I know there will be some who are very understanding, but are most of them pretty ticked off? Are many declaring their intentions to leave and never come back?

Thanks for any insight. Just curious really.

Forum link in OP. After 2 days there are 13 pages of replies, and from what I see, a lot of subscribers are leaving.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    There are a lot of unhappy players on their forums, not surprisingly. But I think they are missing the point when the talk about this killing Atys because the vets will leave. Clearly the current subscriber base can't support the game so it is dead anyway. This is just a desperate last throw of the dice to see if they can attract new players. It's probably doomed to failure but the game has no future as it is.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Nizur

Wow... sad news. As good as the community is in Ryzom, I don't know if it can survive something like this. When you've invested several years into a character, and then it's wiped, what incentive do you have to keep playing?

This game had been dead for years.  Recall there was a period of time when it was being run as a charity, totally free and there certainly hasn't been a lot of forward progress on it in the past few years.

Wipes aren't totally unheard of, I think A Tale in the Desert resets their worlds every year or so wiping everything, and they continue to survive.  (there was a sci fi game that did this too)

While its true it will piss off the existing player base, obviously they aren't enough to keep the game going and the owners are betting that they'll have a better chance of attacking new customers on a reset world than depend on the old ones.

I know I gave the game a try back when it was F2P and can't say I was impressed, with either the starter zone nor the player community, which had become pretty insular IMO.

Time will tell whether or not this move makes any sense, but it probably is better than just letting the status quo go on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    They forget that those that stay will be telling all the new players what happened.  The atmosphere in-game will be poisonous. Not a good idea.
    Riotgirl

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    So basically... they had trouble sso they want to put it into a single server... AND reset character. Are they sure they aren't going down hill BECAUSE of this?
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Actually this could be a positive for the game. It sure beats the alternative of pulling the plug. 

I personally loved this game and its community but had left more than a year ago out of pure boredom with spending so much time alone.

• lovechiefslovechiefs Member UncommonPosts: 157

Originally posted by Sorrow
    Actually this could be a positive for the game. It sure beats the alternative of pulling the plug. I personally loved this game and its community but had left more than a year ago out of pure boredom with spending so much time alone.

Exactly my point as well.

The whole Ryzom team was deeply touched by your general mobilization. We have read your many posts throughout the weekend.

Please remember that whatever your discontent every individual deserves respect. Slurs and other inappropriate comments are not acceptable.

We met this morning to consider the issue and take into account your remarks.

We still need time to find a viable solution and we will get back to you with a news as complete as possible in the coming days. Until then, the events for these next 2 weeks are continuing as planned.

Source: Ryzom forums

Looks like the players revolting have shaken the team awake. Now lets hope they'll come up with a GOOD solution ;-)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    What I find tragic is that you have hordes of so-called "sandbox lovers" plaguing these forums, yet a game like Ryzom - which is about as sandbox as they come - constantly struggles to survive. This is the reason why few to no AAA developers are interested in touching sandbox MMO's.
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    I could never get into this game, though I respect what it's doing. However, wiping characters in an effort to consolidate and survive seems about the worst possible thing to do...
    Riotgirl
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Do people that are in charge of MMOs suffer from collective stupidity ??

Look at all the idiotic decisions from the NGE through this Ryzom character wipe.

Amazing

Riotgirl
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

It sounds like an excellent idea to me, more games should do it.

A MMO is enormeously fun for everyone when it is fresh, and everyone starts on an equal footing. After a relatively short time, everyone starts complaining. New players just can't be bothered to grind every day for two years in order to become competative. Old elitists stroll around with one of their 20 lvl 200 epic elite alts complaining about there being nothing to do, and that there is no new players. 

Start a new sever, no char transfers. Let old severs die. Or just merge and reset. It will be a lot of fun for everyone.

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

I totally got into this game. I played it about 1 year ago and it was superfun for me.

Problems I had were:

1) I hated that there were so few mob types. The mobs had the same skin just a different name. Totally sucked

2) The crab-like creatures roared/screamed. WTF? I hated that so bad I would make sure I was away from them just so I didnt have to hear it.

3) I had a hard time of progressing. My levels or power of my toon wasn't strong enough to defeat and enemey my own level sometimes even lower. When I couldn't get even a little bit of progression going then........ #4

4) The game just got boring after a while.

Add new Monsters, rebalance, and get rid of that awful roaring crab and I might come back. Quite frankly that roaring sound the crabs makes just annoys me to no end.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Lydon
    What I find tragic is that you have hordes of so-called "sandbox lovers" plaguing these forums, yet a game like Ryzom - which is about as sandbox as they come - constantly struggles to survive. This is the reason why few to no AAA developers are interested in touching sandbox MMO's.

To begin with, Ryzom is not really "as sandbox as they come" - it has sandbox elements but it's too restrictive to be called a full-fledged sandbox in the vein of UO, SWG, or EVE.

Secondly, "sandbox lovers" do not have a moral duty to play a given game just because it happens to have sandbox features. You wouldn't tell someone who likes WoW that he has to support AOC, Rift, WAR and SWTOR too, just because they are themepark games, right? People like different stuff, it's not all about the feature list but also about gameplay, graphics and design, setting, community, etc.

I've personally played several very sandboxy games that didn't do it for me despite their sandboxyness - the latest being Salem which was a huge disappointment for me - I almost got a hardon reading about the features but the gameplay and design sucked so bad that I couldn't force myself to play it. Similar things could be said about several games: many people love EVE's feature list but can't stand the space setting and the fact that you play a ship. And so on.

That said, Ryzom is a great game in many ways. I think the main reasons why it has failed to retain any significant number of players are 1) it's a very old game with dated graphics 2) it has a very distinct style and setting - some people love it, others think it's weird 3) it's extremely top heavy with a small group of vets basically owning the game.

1) and 2) will not change, but with 3) gone, Ryzom could probably flourish for a while. A lot of gamers are looking for something different these days and Atys is a very different place. I know I'll try it again for sure.

Riotgirl
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by BobRoss

Problems I had were:

4) The game just got boring after a while.

Same. 

And a reprint from an locked forum post about the same topic: Then they should not charge for the game then. Everything that people worked and paid for will be gone. I always say about these MMO's, "You don't own anything."

Yes I know it's in the EULA. Doesn't make it any less painful to see hard work and dedication dissapear.

Riotgirl
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by kb4blu

Do people that are in charge of MMOs suffer from collective stupidity ??

Look at all the idiotic decisions from the NGE through this Ryzom character wipe.

Amazing

Or maybe that's the "choice".

Either shut down or try something radical and put everyone on the same playing field.

it still seems a bit silly though. It's a huge bet and what is the thought process behind it as there is absolutely no evidence that they will attract new players.

Riotgirl
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Most of you missed the point i think.

They dont wipe because they believe they save the games population  by this move  !  Most of  you spread the wrong information by claiming such ! They even stated in CeB to me that they dont wanted to wipe to lose customers if it wasnt that difficult to them to transfer all accounts to new server (i think lacking of manpower is the biggest hiderance for that).

The finacial situation forces them to MERGE the server. This is the solution plan.   Over the course of merging the server they might thought to wipe to equal imbalances between the 3 server communities. Which indi game offers 3 servers for diffrent communities it seems like a luxory for such a small playerbase.

However with the current playerbase (if they stay) they can survive a 1 community  - 1 server environment and dont depend on new subs. Key word being if they could keep the current numbers , which i doubt cause wipe is deadly to a community. 

So please no missinformation, they dont wipe to get rif of customers they probs dont have the manpower to transfer everything MERGINg the server and the communities, which is the main goal.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Updated info posted today:

This announcement will be long, but we hope it will answer your questions and reassure you. There is no question of closing the game or kill it as we read it, but we absolutely must take into account the economic pressures that are the main reasons for this servers merge. The goal is not to make more money but to stop losing money and thus allow Ryzom continue to live.

Backup of levels

With the active support of the community and the many requests to save your character levels, it was possible to consider, test and now offer an alternative to the avatar reset. See below for details:

All subscribed accounts on the day of closing of the current servers will keep the appearance, the name but also the levels and skill bricks of all characters that are on the account.

We have also made arrangements so that you can, if you wish, restart your Ryzom adventrure from scratch. More information on this subject later in this announcement.

As a result of these changes, we have decided to move the server merge back a week, to (Saturday, 29 September at midnight GMT+2), to give us a little more time and you more chances to win a starter pack.

As they said, info is long and whole message can be found here.

Good thing is that all players keep their level * bricks but can opt to fully restart (LOL as if some one would to that - reroll is just as easy ;)