Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the combat system is gw2?

casshyrcasshyr Member Posts: 4

I read in a review that the combat system is fun at first but gets boring very quickly...is that true?

the review says how u only have a limited set of skills to use, and the combat system becomes basically pressing a standard set of routine keys and gets very repetitive.

this is based on pve, not pvp scenario.

what do u guys think? agree with the review? ur opinion will help me decide if i should get the game or not..i'm still a bit indeceisive. the last mmorpg i tried was lord of the rings online, and frnakly, i had a bad experience with it cuz combat system just suck in that...

Comments

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

I  would say not true at all, other then the first skill usualy one that have a chain of 1-3 attacks is what you use most times the rest are reactional to be used when needed, been playing with greatsword ranger alot myself.

First skill is on auto cast so when ever i press it and get close and stay close to any enemy it will start hitting.

I use the second skill for aoe bleed as much as i can.

Then the third skill is a jump attack and that i have to wait for my pet skill recharge, he can spew poison cloud at the enemy so i can jump throug it to make it vulnerable or for another class to put down a combo field i can jump through. (a elementalist putting down a flame wall that i jump throug that gives me a flame shield for example)

4th skill is a block so then i have to wait for enemy to attack me or get infront of it when it signals an attack to press it and block if i do it right i will take no damage and counter attack with a kick that push back do damage on weaker foes stronger only seem to take damage.

5th attack is a 1s daze and stun attack good to interupt the heavy attacks if 4th skill is on cd.

other then that i can swap weapon every 20 seconds to get 5 new skills to play with.

Not counting in the tactical time to use heal to save your pet while waiting on swap cd to count down or the utility skills, since i use the passive signets more then anything else but that give you 3 more skills to use at the right time.

But then again i would say if you know someone who know someone that have the game go and see if you can try it for yourself, noone else can tell you how it is always better to experience it first hand.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by casshyr

I read in a review that the combat system is fun at first but gets boring very quickly...is that true?

the review says how u only have a limited set of skills to use, and the combat system becomes basically pressing a standard set of routine keys and gets very repetitive.

what do u guys think? agree with the review? ur opinion will help me decide if i should get the game or not..i'm still a bit indeceisive. the last mmorpg i tried was lord of the rings online, and frnakly, i had a bad experience with it cuz combat system just suck in that...

Not true. Every class plays differently and every encounter can be different. Dodge-rolling, timely use of utility skills, situational awareness, etc... it actually errors on the side of steep learning curve rather than "mash dps buttons".

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I have 37 skills on my Elementalist build.. And i use most of them.  Its a matter of choosing the right skills at the right time.  

There is so much depth in the commbat system, so much tacttical decisions needed, its incredible.  When just rotating through your skills you will do allright tough, but nothing great.  Most important in many skills is being in the right position. On top of that you need to use the combo advantages other players give you to maximize efficiency.

Excample if i use a healing field and every other player in the group uses its finishers then the healing is incredible, more then 3 times the orriginal vallue, everyone is at full health again. If noboddy uses it, its just a small HoT. Same goes for the ranger healing spring.

Just get out intoo the first dungeon for excample, and find out how important it is to use the right tactics.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The combat is your basic tab target system with the addition of being able to try and dodge attacks with a double tab, does not always work..

Other than that each class does have a limited set of abilities if you compare it to other MMORPGs but you dont really notice it your still just pressing buttons when you the cooldown is gone like any other..

Now if your ranged all you need to do for PVE combat is kite the target your attacking.. attack, root, attack attack attack attack, root and so on.. if he ges too close most ranged classes have some kind of knock back..

The combat is not realyl exciting or anything to start with.. its not boring boring but its just the same olf stuff really... so if you like other tab target based games then you wont get bored of the combat..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cahenderson

Not true. Every class plays differently and every encounter can be different. Dodge-rolling, timely use of utility skills, situational awareness, etc... it actually errors on the side of steep learning curve rather than "mash dps buttons".

Agreed, skill rotation or spamming the same key will only get you so far. Pressing the right key at the right time is a must if you want to be able to do the harder content.

I rather like it, because I at times have to think quickly or go down. Really refreshing after 16 years of skill rotation and very little need to even move.

But there are plenty of people trying to play the game just as Wow and they can do that for 15 level or so (more if they just repeat the noob zones) and then quit because they die all the time.

My guild try to teach the basics to all new players and more than one whined about the combat system after an hour but they all changed their mind after they start to get things.

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

It has the illusion of being dull for a brief period. For the first few levels it's really fun, but you get a nagging doubt that you'll experience it all too quickly. As you get further however, you realise how tactical it becomes, how important the dodge mechanic is, and how you'll need to use both your class mechanics, different weapon options and a selection of the 30 or so non-weapon skills to be effective as it gets harder.

A few people note that on dyanmic events it can feel zergy, but as the population spreads out I'm finding they're getting far more tactical as fewer people are on hand to tackle to one with you.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by cahenderson

Agreed, skill rotation or spamming the same key will only get you so far. Pressing the right key at the right time is a must if you want to be able to do the harder content.

I rather like it, because I at times have to think quickly or go down. Really refreshing after 16 years of skill rotation and very little need to even move.

But there are plenty of people trying to play the game just as Wow and they can do that for 15 level or so (more if they just repeat the noob zones) and then quit because they die all the time.

My guild try to teach the basics to all new players and more than one whined about the combat system after an hour but they all changed their mind after they start to get things.

Pressing the right key at the right time is a must, but taking position for every skill and actively evading are just as important

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by Kanubis

It has the illusion of being dull for a brief period. For the first few levels it's really fun, but you get a nagging doubt that you'll experience it all too quickly. As you get further however, you realise how tactical it becomes, how important the dodge mechanic is, and how you'll need to use both your class mechanics, different weapon options and a selection of the 30 or so non-weapon skills to be effective as it gets harder.

A few people note that on dyanmic events it can feel zergy, but as the population spreads out I'm finding they're getting far more tactical as fewer people are on hand to tackle to one with you.

I think this nails my experience. For me it has been 3 stages:

1) Wow this is all cool and all these skills and moving and stuff, awesome!

2) Hmm, I'm 15 levels in the game now, got most of my skills unlocked and seem to be going through same tactics all the time... Is this what I am going to get for the next 60 levels?

3) Ohhh, I'm level 30 now. There is actually lots of depth here. Respect.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I think the combat is the strongest point of the game, although I do get a little bored with all the dodging you have to do, particularly against elite mobs. But dodging is the most importamt skill you have since even the weakest mob in the area can kill you if you don't dodge... at least in the class I play (thief). The system is fairly simple you get 10 skills on your hotbar, 5 of them tied to what type of weapon you have equiped and the other 5 are made up of trait, buff and heal skills which are the ones you pick.  Although some people claim it is complex, it only takes about a few minutes and some guides to tell you everything you need to know about builds as well as paying attention to tooltips. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The combat is much better than a tradtional alt tab.

With my warrior I never tab, occasionally press C (that is bind to "closest target") to be able to see the status bar of a mob if I'm in the middle of a zerg.

With a more ranged profession ike the engineer, you will probably press tab more often.

But melee gets all the goods of the combat since your wide siwngs will hit anyone in the path of weapon, so positioning to be able to hit more targets is a must. The downside is that you have less time to react to an enemy attack and so dodge.

When fighting from ranged generally you get the reverse, as your shots will be blocked by neutrals, critters (nothing like hitting a long cooldown ability and have a damn bird fly in the path of it "#@!">*"), terrain and other enemies (once you get pierce traits it is better :) ). On the other hand avoiding damae is easier.

In the beggining you only have one skill but quickly ramp up. Then you get more weapons and the weapon switch. Then slows down a bit as you start acquiring your utility skills and gaining some traits.

Once you have your utility skills  and your elite skill slows down again until you start to get tier2 traits.

The moment you max is where the real fun begin, being able to do funky stuff with traits and runes/sigils.

One thing that makes the combat better as you progress is that the AI getts more abilities and start to knock you, daze you, dodge you, bock you, work in groups, etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Loke666

Pressing the right key at the right time is a must, but taking position for every skill and actively evading are just as important

Yes, of course. Right place at the right time. :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I've found movement to be really vital.  I had a hell of a time at first, because against some of the tougher mobs (like veterans, or just the swarms you have to deal with in the personal story) I'd stand still like in most other MMOs, and just get wiped out.  Now it seems like a no-brainer, but constantly running and dodging around, I find myself able to handle much tougher fights.  It might not be like soloing BAMs in Tera, but I find it to be a much more challenging system than most.

Also like the sheer diversity of skills in the game.  Something about how they're done just feels a lot more varied and interesting than in many other MMOs.  To me, that makes it more fun, too.

Anyhow, to each his own, but I think the combat system is really well done.  Waayyy better than LOTRO, at least :)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by vee41

2) Hmm, I'm 15 levels in the game now, got most of my skills unlocked and seem to be going through same tactics all the time... Is this what I am going to get for the next 60 levels?

Yeah. It's pretty faceroll until 15, then it makes you kinda NOT play how you're used to playing an MMO. And even when you figure it out, you'll get to a point and you'll start dying and you'll be all, "wtf?" And then you realize you haven't been paying attention and it smacked oyu in the face.

And, coincidentally, WvWvW is JUST THE SAME. You go in with a zerg because hey, you're new to this, right? And the zerg is   roflstomping things and you think, "meh, this is kinda boring". Then you assault a keep with the zerg. "Wow, this is kinda neat" and then suddenly you're running for your friggin LIFE because the other servers players circled around behind you and no one noticed. So now you're sitting inside YOUR keep trying to keep them from setting up battering rams and trebuchets.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by vee41

Part of this depends on the class as well.  As an elementalist, for instance, the importance of dodging becomes VERY apparent quite early on.  If you don't dodge and kite, you die.  So as an elementalist, I found the combat to be very engaging, since I constantly had to worry about positioning, etc.  Heck, even weapon use is complicated, as I've started to weave my attunements together.  Honestly, the elementalist is a pretty awesome class, as this progression all feels quite natura l overall.

On the other extreme guardian on the other hand, doesn't get taught this lesson in nearly as severe a manner regarding dodging.  I have a level 13 Engineer now, and I am not sure how I feel about that class as it doesn't seem to develop as naturally as the Elementalist.  I have to admit I don't care much for a lot of the weapon abilities -- but maybe I'm just missing my Elementalist flexibility.  Hmm, I do really wish the Engineer had ONE good long range weapon.  You'd think the Rifle would do this, but no, it has a number of close-range attacks.  Hmm, maybe as I level I'll building wrt to the F1-F4 skill options and switching kits more natural -- though the cooldown on kits is ridiculous, imho.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

What I like is PvE combat. In WoW the mobs move when you do, and in the direction you do, almost as if they know where you are going before you do. In GW2 you can actually move around and try and outmaneuver them to get into position. The AI in this game is top knotch!

I'm playing a Guardian so melee is so much fun being able to stick and move. It is way more challenging and never gets stale. I look forward to smashing an ettin! :) If I wasn't so tired I would do it now!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Amjoco

What I like is PvE combat. In WoW the mobs move when you do, and in the direction you do, almost as if they know where you are going before you do. In GW2 you can actually move around and try and outmaneuver them to get into position. The AI in this game is top knotch!

I'm playing a Guardian so melee is so much fun being able to stick and move. It is way more challenging and never gets stale. I look forward to smashing an ettin! :) If I wasn't so tired I would do it now!

Ime, the Guardian doesn't HAVE to move as much.  The Warrior is similar.  So a lot of people don't move around a lot with these classes.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Elementalist, level 36 here. Running with a Guardian, level 40.

We did our first dungeon and boooooy was that hard. Anybody that tells you to just press buttons on cooldown etc. has no idea what he is talking about and will get himself killed really fast.

Positioning is super important in this game, not just of yourself but also of your abilities. We did many beginner mistakes in that dungeon, like we were not coordinating our fields at all and so we suffered. Moving out of bad stuff is even more important than in other games here and some of those trash mobs had seriously bad ass attacks (I'm looking at you, Ascalon Ranger and you Ascalon Elementalist).

Outside, the mobs are easier, but they are very abundant so no, the combat system is very fun at least to this point (I played since headsstart and got 5 chars, I just do not level very fast :3)

You must think of this game in terms of builds. Like the original GW1 or TSW. Pick your weapon(s) (but do not forget to carry spares in your backpack), pick your utility/elites, choose your traits etc.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Combat is interesting. Yes, you have 5 main abilities (1,2,3,4,5), 1 healing ability (6), 3 utility abilities eventually (7,8,9), and 1 elite ability eventually (10). You also have a dodge ability for defensive purposes (11). That's 11 abilities. And each weapon you use or magic school(?) has a set of the five basic abilities of their own. In other words, picking up a short bow will have five different basic abilities from when you use a long bow. An Elementalist using Fire Magic has a different set of the 5 basic abilities when they switch to Air Magic. The heal, utilities, and elite have very long timers, so their use needs to be thought about, not just mashed when up.

Some people do just use the "mash when up" method of playing. It shows in their player's effectiveness in combat. Ability use is more about timing than anything else. Dodge especially falls into this category. You can usually get 2 dodges in a row before your endurance runs too low for another. You can't just dodge all over the place.

Your 5 basic abilities usually have an extra "something" that helps in specific situations. Maybe one ability heals or protects other players, maybe one stuns an opponent, maybe yet another one is an Area of Effect (AoE). It is not just spamming when they are up. Is your opponent going in for their big hit? Use your ability that knocks them down and foils their attack. Use dodge to roll out of the way of their attack, and hope you're not next to an object (like a tree) that blocks your dodge. Always be aware of the red circles that show incoming attack areas.

All that being said, combat is what you make of it. Yes, you can button mash if that is your preferred way of fighting. You can also be active in your character's actions and use abilities when they need to be used, or at least when you think they need to be :) I have only attained level 30 thus far, and sometimes having the same 5 basic abilities can get... dull? I could always swap to a different weapon type if I wanted to mix it up a bit. I don't know how it will feel through 50 more levels.

I hope that helps a little bit. I tried to stay away from specifics. My post would get even more lengthy if I went there :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    I love the combat system. The animations Rw great, sequences are action packed, dodging adds additional skill to the equation, and combos are the cherry on top.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Basicly stock standard and boring.

Wouldnt call it terrible but it is just more of the same.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I play guardian, and I agree with that reviewer. it gets boring after a while. the shine fades. but it still has nice events I guess.

WvW Siege weapons are fun, but could be better.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Combat system is amazing and thanks to that system, each class have a unique sense of gameplay. It is like God of War with 8 different characters :)

Controls are really responsive, you dont watch some bars in order to succeed you watch your opponenet's animations. This could get annoying in a zerg battle in wvwvw but i am talking about the real deal, spvp. It has very high skill cap.

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

Let's be frank and not blow smoke up anyone's #$%. Most MMO's are repeatedly hitting the same buttons over for the same effect. You have one set of increased damage key combos, one set of somewhat defensive key combos, and the rest you just hope you hit at the right time and situation. Unfortunately GW2 severly limits your options in the middle of combat. You have three utility skills, a healing skills, and an elite skill. This inherently limits how effective you are while you are in combat. Don't expect to pull a trump card out of your sleeve at the last minute to save the day.

Granted, the five weapon skills associated with your weapon combo can increase the versatility of being able to do slightly more, but they are on timers and they don't really produce definitive effects. They are typically a series of bleeds or debuffs.

Ultimately, GW2 is a twitchy arcade-based MMO. You zip around a lot trying to not get hit while concetrating on landing a utility skill at the right time. Therefore the combat is fairly faced-paced, but also pretty superficial.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

The combat system is just a faster version of The Secret World and a slower version of Tera.

It's not very original, but it's fun, a lot more fun than tab targetting and standing still.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

Combat system is amazing and thanks to that system, each class have a unique sense of gameplay. It is like God of War with 8 different characters :)

Controls are really responsive, you dont watch some bars in order to succeed you watch your opponenet's animations. This could get annoying in a zerg battle in wvwvw but i am talking about the real deal, spvp. It has very high skill cap.

Seriously, quit the drugs, they're bad.

Playing warrior myself, mostly GS and Rifle. GS because it has good mobility for mindless DE zerging, rifle whenver i solo veteran mobs. The furtest i've gone in combining skills is to press the 4th warrior rifle ability (+vulnerability) after i've popped offensive utilities, and chain that up with skill 3 for rifles (the 5 shot skill). The other two (not counting the auto attack) are used whenever mobs come close (the knockback on 5, or the snare on 2). In DE's, you're lucky if someone puts down a combofield for fire (to get burning projectiles) or regen.

I spent a story quest yesterday just kiting six veteran mobs around using 3 skills. That's not really my idea of "god of war-combat".

Even WoW where i played DK was more interactive and that was already a snoozefest. The GW 2 combat is not so different from TSW's, everyone broke down TSW, but everyone just seems to swallow the GW2 garbage.