Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am SICK and TIRED of the "more difficult" crowd

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

In a game like Diablo you can't change the difficulty level. You can't do that in a MMO, so what difficulty a MMO is set at is far more important. For me a Diablo style look down view in a MMO is a step backward, full 3D replaced that view, lets go forward not backward.

The pressure to go backward comes from gaming companies wanting their game or elements of it to run on inferior technology. Old PC’s and consoles, browsers and mobile phones. The gaming industry needs to look forward to a new generation of games to amaze us, not spend all its time looking for new markets and tailoring its games so they fit those that use sub-standard tech.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

There's so many easy games out there to play, but not that many difficult ones.

I'm playing TSW and GW2 and I'd still complain that they're too easy. If you want them to be easy then just hang out at your level for a while killing mobs.

Both games get easy if you stay in your level area just a bit longer. Don't fight mobs that are higher than your level and you'll move up faster in GW. The XP might be slightly lower, but you can easily mow down level mobs.

The dungeons are still difficult and PvP will always be difficult just by it's nature.

If you need a list of easier games then just click the Games list tab at the top of this page and subtract TSW, GW and Darkfall and you'll have a huge list.

Asdar

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I'm (kind of) sorry that you've been having so much trouble with these games, but if you really can't handle the difficulty, well...sorry to say it, but tough shit. Try finding something more to your level, perhaps one of many single player games that have a difficulty setting option.

Or a MMO with a difficulty setting.

LFR in WOW is pretty easy. My son can "play" it on AFK when he is doing homework. It cannot be more easy than that.

Or, you know, you could just get better at the game?

If there are 10 dungeons in a game and 2 of them are very hard. Then there is your difficulty levels and there is your goal, you work at improving and then you do them and get a sense of achievement.

As opposed to running up to the dungeon door, switching the setting to "I am fking crap mode" (idiosyncratic difficulty levels ftw) and then running through it just so you can ram through the content as quickly as possible in order to jump on the next hype bandwagon game.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by maji
    Higher difficulty is a great thing, if the game is created in such a way, that it motivates people to team up to overcome hard encounters.

Unless it forces you to play with people you can't stand and don't want to be around.  The majority of people in most MMOs are people I woldn't piss on if they were on fire.

That would only be beneficial if there was a wholly superior breed of MMO player in the game and I don't see that happening.

That's a tad bit extreme.

You can try to breed your own race of Übermensch.  The last guy who tried something like that though wasn't very popular.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by maji
    Higher difficulty is a great thing, if the game is created in such a way, that it motivates people to team up to overcome hard encounters.

Unless it forces you to play with people you can't stand and don't want to be around.  The majority of people in most MMOs are people I woldn't piss on if they were on fire.

That would only be beneficial if there was a wholly superior breed of MMO player in the game and I don't see that happening.

Don't really perceive that to be part of the problem of a more difficult game unless it's poorly implemented.

Take for example the game on most people's tongues, good or bad, Guild Wars 2.

Right off the bat you can turn around and fight enemies, champions, and bosses that are higher level and much tougher than you. One's that can curb stomp you in as little as one blow. I can see how that certainly implies a desire for allies, but it does not inherently require it.

That's what I like about the recent set of a few MMOs really. RaiderZ and Neverwinter both share some of these aspects where if you just watch where you are going and what the enemy does, you can somo things you yould be handily dying too in any other game that doesn't give you the mechanics to circumvent problems.

It makes the game harder in a challenging way, not just a statistical way.

And I really can't slight any game that manages to do so on that front. I still don't like games that increase difficulty by adding a bigger damage meter and health bar to creatures that are inflated versions of everything else. It's cheap and doesn't make it more challenging, just more tedious. But an enemy that poses an equal threat to you as you do it on average would provide better difficulty and challenge.

I'm all for increased difficulty in games, but it distinctly has to not be a copout.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.

Dumbed down is good. Dumbed down is GREAT, because it makes me feel the HERO and not the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much.

On a side note, from this comment of yours I'd say that games being too hard isn't really the core issue you have. It's obvious that you want something to make you feel important, either in real life or artificially in a game. Even if you were to find a game that gave you that feeling of being important, it's ultimately temporary and reality will come crashing in. Perhaps you should look into making yourself less of  "the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much."

I really am being sincere in this suggestion. A game really won't help you with this. If you don't feel like you're skilled at anything...get trained. School, seminars, what-have-you. Forge yourself into someone that people will take note of.

Where's the any key?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Originally posted by ForumPvP What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.  
    Dumbed down is good. Dumbed down is GREAT, because it makes me feel the HERO and not the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much.
     Clearly you aren't a hero if you need a game in easy mode to become a hero.   There are people who feel heroic and do amazing things in games that actually have any difficulty. This stems from the same thought process that led to not keeping score in kids sports so that no one felt bad. It creates generations of people who have no drive to overcome adversity and make something of themselves.   I say take every game out there and make it minimum 2-3x as hard as it is now and we might be getting close to the golden age of gaming.
    No .. just no.

And no one is a real hero. We are talking about GAMES here. Make belief. People should have fun with them ... and not feel like the game is impossible.

There not make believe if your investing money in them.

Also, they were once virtual worlds...some people forget that.

You are kidding me. No one "invest" money in MMOs. You play for a game. No different than paying for a movie. Is movie not make-believe anymore? Plus, many MMOs are F2P .. you don't even have to pay.

There were ONCE virtual worlds ... so what .. they are no longer.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I'm (kind of) sorry that you've been having so much trouble with these games, but if you really can't handle the difficulty, well...sorry to say it, but tough shit. Try finding something more to your level, perhaps one of many single player games that have a difficulty setting option.

Or a MMO with a difficulty setting.

LFR in WOW is pretty easy. My son can "play" it on AFK when he is doing homework. It cannot be more easy than that.

Or, you know, you could just get better at the game?

If there are 10 dungeons in a game and 2 of them are very hard. Then there is your difficulty levels and there is your goal, you work at improving and then you do them and get a sense of achievement.

As opposed to running up to the dungeon door, switching the setting to "I am fking crap mode" (idiosyncratic difficulty levels ftw) and then running through it just so you can ram through the content as quickly as possible in order to jump on the next hype bandwagon game.

Or there are 5 dungeons in a game, and 3 different difficulties. You can work from LFR to normal to hard mode .. which is what people do in WOW.

And what is wrong if someone want to run easy mode. They can play the game ANYWAY they want. If they are having fun, who are you to say otherwise. In fact, Blizz is accommodating that by putting in easier mode.

If someone just want to run through the dungeon without get better at the game (and why should he? May be he is busy and what to do something else soon?), why shouldn't he be able to do that?

Games are entertainment product .. if someone likes to do that and find it fun, there is no reason not to let him.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Worst topic ive read on here in weeks.

Hello Kitty Online awaits people that cant figure out the easy dumbed down mmo's. I mean seriously, have you ever played an old mmo? It was 100 times more difficult lol. These newer games are easy as pie, and if you died 2000 times, you should realy look at yourself and  not the game.

Want mmo's more easy? Could alwys stick to console rpg's and use cheats ;)

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by ForumPvP What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.  
     Clearly you aren't a hero if you need a game in easy mode to become a hero.   There are people who feel heroic and do amazing things in games that actually have any difficulty. This stems from the same thought process that led to not keeping score in kids sports so that no one felt bad. It creates generations of people who have no drive to overcome adversity and make something of themselves.   I say take every game out there and make it minimum 2-3x as hard as it is now and we might be getting close to the golden age of gaming.
    No .. just no.

And no one is a real hero. We are talking about GAMES here. Make belief. People should have fun with them ... and not feel like the game is impossible.

You are kidding me. No one "invest" money in MMOs. You play for a game. No different than paying for a movie. Is movie not make-believe anymore? Plus, many MMOs are F2P .. you don't even have to pay.

Typical entitlement complex:

"I got mine, so GTFO."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The gaming companies that make MMO's now want in the social network market. Social network 'gamers'  play games that make Hello Kitty Online look complex. So the drive to make MMO's even more simple to expand into that market is going to continue to push MMO's into dumbing down gameplay.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can relate to the OP. Two of my guildies are not used to twitchbased combat and will likely never get used to that. They loved GW1, but I have a difficult time getting them to like GW2. While I am probably one of those people who welcomes more challenge in a MMO, I hate to lose those two in GW2.

That explorable dungeons are tough is to be expected. That you shouldn't enter PVP and expect to win without some dodging skills too. But the personal story can be even real challenging for some of these players, which imo is the wrong place for it.

• DirkonisDirkonis Member Posts: 3

You can't be upset that a fanbase voiced its position louder than you and got something changed. I for one enjoy a little difficulty in my MMO's then again I can get passed level 16 on a Mesmer. Not trying to be a jerk here but don't blame a portion of the GW2 fans for you not being able to level a Mesmer. 

The instances for the story are a joke, level a little higher than is needed then go do the story. I honestly think you jumped in one at a level lower than required and are mad because you could not finish it. Leveling in an MMO is not supposed to be a quick affair, storylines are not supposed to be a joke. I played FFXI from US launch, GW2 is a joke compared to it on a difficulty scale. Just play...better is all I can really say and I hate to boil it down like that but just get better. Switch tactics, do more hearts and events to level then go out and do your story. 

The level down you are talking about is scaling, so it is fair for everyone and better for you. You get similar experience counts even at level 70 when you're in say a level 15 zone. Relax

Originally posted by Xthos

I am SICK and TIRED of the exact opposite.....Leveling is too fast, game mechanics are too shallow...

Then play D3.

Paragon leveling is VERY slow and there are many viable builds and variations you can explore.

Originally posted by KaosProphet

No .. just no.

"I got mine, so GTFO."

I would call it "the customer is always right". If devs want my business, do it so that i like it. If not, i walk.

It is a free world. I don't see why my entertainment should be shackled by other people's ideals. There are ALWAYS alternatives. MMOs are not the only entertainment out there. Heck, they are not the only GAMES out there.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

TSW and GW2 are not hard.

So not really sure what the problem is.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I would call it "the customer is always right". If devs want my business, do it so that i like it. If not, i walk.

It is a free world. I don't see why my entertainment should be shackled by other people's ideals. There are ALWAYS alternatives. MMOs are not the only entertainment out there. Heck, they are not the only GAMES out there.

Get a job dealing with the public then come back and tell us how "the customer is always right".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

People want to have fun. If we need more challenge and higher diffuculty to have fun it will be reasonable to demand it. And if the developers agree its up to them. But I think difficulty must depend on goals. People that cant handle the highest difficulty should have other options. Things that are meaningful and fun. Other goals. It will work that way unless they start to want the same rewards the best players can get.

IMO, everyone should be able to play a MMORPG and have fun. The devs must create fun content for most players. But the players also must have the proper attitude. I can enjoy running and cycling. But if I believed I had to be as good as the TDF riders or the olympic runners it would no longer be fun.I cant win the TDF and I will never get gold medals. But i have fun anyway when I train. I mean as long as there is something meaningful to do it is good enough. Dont care about other players. What rewards they can get or what content they can do. Think about you. What can you do? Is it fun? And if it is just ignore the elite.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

No .. just no.

"I got mine, so GTFO."

It is a free world. I don't see why my entertainment should be shackled by other people's ideals.

As you shackle down the entertainment of others with your ideas, and gloat when you "win."  

I don't want to infringe on your entertainment, I just want you to stop pissing on mine like an incontinent poodle.

There are ALWAYS alternatives. MMOs are not the only entertainment out there. Heck, they are not the only GAMES out there.

Sure they are - once you've stripped the word of enough meaning, so that  everything is an MMO if you say it is.  Which is where you're going.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

Go play Call of duty  +  Aimbot if GW2 is hard. 

You will bash 1 button to shot and it makes you feel like a real HERO !

• adamlin747adamlin747 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

While I am not sure you are serious or not I am not a big fan of twitch style combat, and I hope all MMO's don't head in that direction eventually.  With that being said I did not like GW2 that much when I first started playing but now I am having a blast, only issue is lack of open world pvp where someone could attack me in the middle of nowhere, and a lack of RP elements as far as the world is soo huge I haven't stayed in one area long enough to get a good feel for it. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!Grrrr

I agree with you, for the same reason I skipped Dark Souls. I work hard IRL and don't have time to work hard in games. Hell, sometimes I watch cinematics on youtube or set the game on easy just to get through the story. Hard games aren't fun when you only get 5 hours of play time a week and end up spending 3 of them looking at loading screens and repeating content because you died.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

That's exactly why you should stop telling others their opinions are wrong, yours is right, and how companies are making the games you like for the right reasons.  Open your perspective a bit.  Realize everyone is not you or even like you.  Some people like other things and would like a few games that cater to their own wants for a change.  Why does every game need to be made how you like it?  Not everyone likes drive through gaming.  Not everyone wants instant satisfaction.   In short...stop being greedy and self serving.   Stop shackling the entertainment of others with your ideals.  Maybe someday you'll see the journey and enjoy it instead of just enjoying the destination.  Maybe not.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I'm sure with all things there needs to be a balance.  Too easy or too hard and you'll get the complaints.  You'll never be able to please everyone.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• ctshamectshame Member Posts: 104
    Sorry OP but I have to agree games today are way to easy. GW2 is not even really that hard. I was doing most of the skill points where you have to kill the elite mobs with ads alone. Just play it some more and find your class and itll become easy,