Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Realm Reborn should be listed as a new game!!

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    It's not a new game, it's a relaunch of an old one.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• NeekzzNeekzz Member Posts: 37

Anyone playing can see that 2.0 is a different game, the whole world is being redone from scratch. New Title, new maps, new engine, new servers, new UI, new battle system, new system requirements, new classes, TONS of new features, classic MMO controls. There was not 1 thing in the game left untouched.

This is above and beond a remake, the forums, reviews, system requirements, and all of  info on the current title will all be outdated.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    SWG didn't get a new name after the NGE. Nor should this.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    mmorpg.com gave them a few months to fix what went wrong with ffxiv before reviewing their game. That ship has sailed.
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

You say they are going to make a completely new mmo in one year? A process that usually takes around 4-5? And we should be hyped about it? 

" Weve got good and bad news for you , sir. The bad news is that you have apendicitis. The good one is that your surgeon is so brilliant that he got his medical license in just one year of study. Arent you happy about that?"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Odhelm
    Originally posted by Soaapy

Yeah, it should be classified as a new game and hyped as such. Check this out..........

The question is when MMORPG.COM will realize this! Wholesalers removing the old game's from the shelves as we speak .. I just think it's a shame that mmorpg.com do not give A Realm Reborn the same conditions as other games, where the hype in it self generate publicity!

While I agree that 2.0 should be classified as its own game on here, this statement is just silly. FF14 has had 'the same condiitions as other games' because no other games got a free hype / rating reset even after expansions or major changes, it was up to the individual rater to go and change their rating.

Also, who gives a crap about hype? If SquareEnix do it properly this time the game will speak for itself.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

No.  Treat it like an expansion.

It's great SE made an effort to overhaul the game but you still don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Here is a link to a vid going over how much work SE put into transforming this game.

You have to press the CC button in youtube to get the subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_737hYbSCEs&feature=youtu.be

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by birdycephon

As much as I'd like to agree, I feel like if they call it a "new game", that I'd have to re-purchase it all over again, which I absolutely refuse to do.

I'll be subscribing of course, but I'm not re-buying.

Call it a free sequel or something, this is just semantics? Either way, this is what ARR is:

"We've basically scrapped the original game and are rebuilding it from the ground up. Other than some NPC graphics and some of the equipment graphics - where we'll be reusing some assets - everything is being remade.

Other than the main parts of the cities, all of the maps have been redesigned from the ground up. The UI is completely new - it uses no elements at all of the previous UI - it's an all-new interface.

The server architecture - all of the coding of the server systems have been rewritten. Then there's the graphics engine - this is an all-new graphics engine created specifically for FF14. So pretty much everything has changed."

All this in ~14 months, and some people kept saying they aren't doing anything to the game all this time? Dumbasses. They made a game we saw in action in a matter of 14 months when other devs take 3-5 YEARS to do the same, and only skipped on some of the pre-production at BEST. Streamlined as hell.

That's great that they really realized there was almost nothing worth keeping.  I'm looking forward to the re-release now.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    wait, so there is going to be a character wipe?  The only way you could possibly justify it being a new game and not an update to an existing game is if there is a full character wipe and everyone starts from scratch.  
    Originally posted by teakbois
    wait, so there is going to be a character wipe?  The only way you could possibly justify it being a new game and not an update to an existing game is if there is a full character wipe and everyone starts from scratch.  

No character wipe, Players have been earning exclusive stuff that wount be avalable come A Realm Reborn. The game has been running a live event since 1.8 that tells the story leading up to the destruction of the current realm.

"This brings us to the current FFXIV storyline and the lynchpin of Yoshida's plans to remake Eorzea: The forbidden spell known as Meteor. A recurring fixture in the Final Fantasy series, Meteor has never been more important than it was in FFVII, where it was featured on the logo of the game itself. Summoned by Sephiroth to cripple the entire planet, Meteor gave the world two weeks to live.

The currently running story arc in FFXIV revolves around the villainous Garlean Empire calling down Meteor to devastate the land of Eorzea. Player characters are involved in a struggle against Nael van Darnus, the imperial Legatus behind this ruinous plot. Nael seems deliberately reminiscent of Sephiroth, and not just because he wants to summon Meteor, which is also referred to as Dalamud in the FFXIV lore. Nael holds unsettling conversations with Dalamud in the same way that Sephiroth converses with Jenova. There is even a shot of him walking through flames that is very similar to Sephiroth's famous scene in Nibelheim, and his boss fight is accompanied by a Latin chorus.

Meanwhile, originally seen only as an orange dot in the sky, Meteor draws visibly closer with every patch. While the impending cataclysm resembles World of Warcraft from the perspective of game design, it is thematically an obvious callback to FFVII. Unlike FFVII, however, in FFXIV players know that their bid to halt Meteor is doomed from the start." -Isamu Fukui 1 UP

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Fool me once......
  • IIONNICCIIONNICC Member UncommonPosts: 8

When FFXIV ARR releases, the original FFXIV will no longer exist. ARR uses a new engine, new storyline, all job professions have been updated, new music, etc. This is as much of a change from FFXI to FFXIV...

This is a new game.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Ikeda

LOL...

ARR isn't even an expansion.

It's a patch.

Stop crying for it to be called a new game.  It isn't.  They shouldn't have messed up the first one then they wouldn't have this issue to begin with.

Yes, I believe there should be a re-review.  But no, this is not a new game so suck it up.  It is a PATCH.  And for that matter, as it's taken as long as it has, I'm still not holding my breath that this will actually release and not be broken.

They're replacing ~90% of the game. Not just gameplay or graphics, but the graphics engine, the server infrastructure.. almost everything is being/has been re-done from scratch. Only ~10% of what's in the game currently will be carried over.

It's not a "brand-new game", no. Some of the core/defining elements of it are still intact (setting, races, etc). But it's a hell of a lot closer to being a new game than it is to being a "patch'.

LOL...

ARR isn't even an expansion.

It's a patch.

Stop crying for it to be called a new game.  It isn't.  They shouldn't have messed up the first one then they wouldn't have this issue to begin with.

Yes, I believe there should be a re-review.  But no, this is not a new game so suck it up.  It is a PATCH.  And for that matter, as it's taken as long as it has, I'm still not holding my breath that this will actually release and not be broken.

So a game that only has about 10% of the original game remaining is only a patch? lol by 10% I mean already existing armor sets

Don't cry about semantics.  There isn't a history of launch failures of this size and scope.  This is a patch.  This is a repair/fix/patch for all the problems in the game.

It is NOT an expansion (which would cost and would add to content).

This is not a launch as the game already exists, characters already exist, world exists.  Regardless that the content itself is being fixed, the game exists.

What was that you were saying about "semantics"?

Your post here is absolutey drowning in it.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Yeah, it should be classified as a new game and hyped as such. Check this out..........

http://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyxivarealmreborn

• Platform: Digital Download, Microsoft Windows® PC, PlayStation®3
    • Genre: MMORPG
    • Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.
    • Release Date: TBD
    Also apparently from what I've heard they're taking all of the old FFXIV games off of the shelves instore. 

In all fairness it would be pretty hard to find it on a shelf to begin with...

Originally posted by Weretigar

, completly new made world(Just new engine with map shaping to remove copy-pasta terreain that no one has seen or tested.)

Are you kidding me?

Where do you people pull this crap from?

"just a new engine"?

"map shaping to remove copy-pasta"?"

They have re-designed the entire world from the ground up, with the exception of the cities which will only be somewhat modified (according to Yoshi and co.).

They didn't just take all the same graphics and terrain tiles and re-arrange them so they "don't look so repetitive". They went back to the drawing board, completely re-imagined each area and rebuilt them from the ground up. They don't even resemble the current areas.  Have you looked at the maps for 1.x and those released for 2.0 to see the difference?

One person says "it's just a patch", now this...

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Ugh it totally makes me sad that you have to be a racist and say things like "scrapped the entire chinese team"

You do realize the origional design team is the same guys who made Final Fantasy 11?

You are extremely out of touch and borderline racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromichi_Tanaka

Identifying the race of someone, or of a team, is not racist. It would be no different than saying "The entire German team", or the "the entire French team".

The only "racism" in that statement is what you're reading into it.

And the "chinese team" remark is referring to the common belief that much of FFXIV's development was out-sourced to Chinese designers/developers.

There's nothing racist in that post at all.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Weretigar

, completly new made world(Just new engine with map shaping to remove copy-pasta terreain that no one has seen or tested.)

Are you kidding me?

Where do you people pull this crap from?

"just a new engine"?

"map shaping to remove copy-pasta"?"

They have re-designed the entire world from the ground up, with the exception of the cities which will only be somewhat modified (according to Yoshi and co.).

They didn't just take all the same graphics and terrain tiles and re-arrange them so they "don't look so repetitive". They went back to the drawing board, completely re-imagined each area and rebuilt them from the ground up. They don't even resemble the current areas.  Have you looked at the maps for 1.x and those released for 2.0 to see the difference?

One person says "it's just a patch", now this...

If it was completly redesigned you would't be able to keep all the same crap. Like what has been said before even by the admins. It will be re-re-re-reviewed once the patch hits. If your still in denial about how the world was before you are completely delusional. Also mindlessly ranting about a game that was proved to be the biggest letdown in mmo history only further drags new players from even wanting to test it again. 

It is a patch the engine they built would not work on the ps3 version thier words. Graphics had nothing to do with why the game failed the first time. The whole graphics thing is just A blah arguement for fanboys to keep hyping the engine patch. The whole world has been remade is just laughable the map is exactly the same same towns, same races, towns in the same locations.

It will still take your guy 20 min to run trew a town with 99% of the doors closed with nowhere to go. Just hold off and let it come out. Seriously let the dead sleep peacefully.

This is a new client that will require a new install of the NEW game. Its not a patch for the current client. Everyone will have to download and install the new game. The old game can be uninstalled since there will be no servers for it. This is why they stopped selling the other disc, the data on it is useless.

This site can call it what it wants to but SE and the rest of the world are calling it what it is, a new game.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Ugh it totally makes me sad that you have to be a racist and say things like "scrapped the entire chinese team"

You do realize the origional design team is the same guys who made Final Fantasy 11?

You are extremely out of touch and borderline racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromichi_Tanaka

Identifying the race of someone, or of a team, is not racist. It would be no different than saying "The entire German team", or the "the entire French team".

The only "racism" in that statement is what you're reading into it.

And the "chinese team" remark is referring to the common belief that much of FFXIV's development was out-sourced to Chinese designers/developers.

There's nothing racist in that post at all.

Its inaccurate to say it was a chinese team.  The way he throws out chinese like its a bad thing is why it sounds racist.  His implication was that the reason it failed was because they team was chinese.

There is a quote from the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_737hYbSCEs&feature=youtu.be

"Decided to rebuild just about the source code from the ground up"   23:29   

Just one example of why people are saying its more than just a few minor changes.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

rebuilt game or not it still suffers from being a shabby ps3 port.  any game brought over to pc from consoles always has fatal flaws, just look at the pc version of dark souls prepare to die edition.  sloppy horrible controls and capped resolutions are just the tip of the killer iceburgs that sink ported games.

now if they had rebuilt it for pcs only, then it might be good.

Originally posted by neorandom

rebuilt game or not it still suffers from being a shabby ps3 port.  any game brought over to pc from consoles always has fatal flaws, just look at the pc version of dark souls prepare to die edition.  sloppy horrible controls and capped resolutions are just the tip of the killer iceburgs that sink ported games.

now if they had rebuilt it for pcs only, then it might be good.

Except its a port from PC to PS3...

Where did you get this info from?  The video I linked clearly lays everything out plain as day, nothing you said is true.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

I agree

a data reset would be best