Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift should follow GW2's B2P model

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
Housing isn't going to save Rift. They need to go B2P and drop the sub. Price it at $29 with occasional sales at $15-$20. No way it's going to keep subs with GW2 around.

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I would have to agree. The GW2 model is a very good one. I've already dropped $200 on crystals in that game, buying dyes, keys, bag slots, and bank slots.
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Not going to happen. There is no need for it either. Just because one company that makes a decent game has B2P doesn't mean the world needs to follow. Rift is clearly doing just fine financially as they can afford to pump out content and expansions with ease. 

People are cheap. 15 (or less depending on your plan) a month for a game that gets tons of updates is peanuts.

P.S. A game with a more than stable player base does not need any saving.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by Waldoe

Not going to happen. There is no need for it either. Just because one company that makes a decent game has B2P doesn't mean the world needs to follow. Rift is clearly doing just fine financially as they can afford to pump out content and expansions with ease. 

People are cheap. 15 (or less depending on your plan) a month for a game that gets tons of updates is peanuts.

^ This!!!  RIFT is a great game

And in my life time I have found that "you get what you pay for".

Housing is a big draw for any MMORPG, and RIFT would be the first of the newer games (that I know of)  to have it

(older ones being EQ2 and Vanguard).

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

You know, ive gotten to the point where i just picture the people who make these posts little kids with their fingers crossed that their post will start a tidal wave of uprising for the game to go free so that they can play because their parents refuse to let them set up a reoccuring payment on their CC.  Hell even unemployed people on gov money can afford the 50 cents a day it costs to play a p2p.

Its really getting old.  Dont you kids have enough free games to play?  Oh...are those games not good or something?  Or is it you dont want to play a pay to win game because you think developers should work for little or no money?  

Its really baffling and a sign of the entitled generation were hearing more and more about.

You dont want to pay a terrible horrible sub then stop going to all the games with subs and begging for them to drop their revenue by adding a cash shop youll end up complaining about anyway.  B2P doesnt work in a game thats ALREADY launched several expansions and massive content updates.  Perhaps when the game was new, they could have sold you a $60 expansion every few months, which comes out to a p2p sub anyway roughly.

As much as i dislike this type of mmorpg, i really do respect Trion for sticking with this game and pumping out content like it is.  This really might be the best wow-park out there, even better than the shallow GW2...a game whos payment method you want trion to emulate...they havent even tried to sell their players an endgame yet...so its still to be seen how people will react to $60 for no endame and then the possiblity of paying for one later.

As long as the developers keep pumping out content, like trion has done.  P2P with a sub is really the cheapest business method and results in a completely fair and even playfield for all who are supporting.  Yeah i agree some of the p2p games out there that dont update and dont develop could probably stand to get their asses in gear or find another way to get paid.

A game like this deserves p2p...and last i checked they are not charging you box prices for their content releases...another positive about this company.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I would have to agree. The GW2 model is a very good one. I've already dropped $200 on crystals in that game, buying dyes, keys, bag slots, and bank slots.

wow, lol

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Go play GW2 then, i dont mind paying a monthly sub if it will keep the cheap morons away.  To The idiot who allready dropped $200 intp gw2 i have only sympathy to his parents who will have to pay for this junk in the end. I really wish there was an age filter for the forums, whould keep the worst away.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by jpnole
    Housing isn't going to save Rift. They need to go B2P and drop the sub. Price it at $29 with occasional sales at $15-$20. No way it's going to keep subs with GW2 around.

What is with you and this obsession with B2P model?

You know not everyone in GW2 is paying less money to play. There are people (lots of people) who are buying gems. Even if all they are buying is alt and bank slots,  for many many people B2P is not cheaper in any way. So why do you want to impose this on everyone else because you want to be a freeloader?

Not every game in the world is built around it from the drawing board up? Not every game is going to benefit from this model. Only look at all the F2P models that are failing? You think SWTOR is now going to take off in some raging success? I wonder what EA will use as it's excuse when they can't give that game away. And finally, k eep that damned cash shop out of Rift, thank you!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You do realize B2P works by making people pay for expansions packs more often AND using cash shop which provides advantages. Its a good model if your going F2P but with a big budget cost initially (AA games mostly will be in this route) but its probably one of the worst things to do. A cash shop in place needs to make money somehow, and games that are F2P or B2P WILL sell advantages. In GW2 its in game gold and boosts. 

I wouldn't mind a Freemium model, but a B2P is a poor model for a game that focuses on lots of updates. GW2 can work because they are NOT going to be releasing many updates or extra content except in bulk. In the end, You will probably be paying exactly the same cost with GW2 as you would to be playing Rift over a period of time, if not more if your into vanity items.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Rift has under 300k subscriptions and although profitable its not groundbreaking either.  If they implemented a B2P with cash shop similar to GW2 I guarentee you they would double their concureent userbase and triple their profits.  Sub based games are a dieing breed and theres only room for one currently.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    As we gave yet to see if gw2 can generate enough profit for further development I would hold judgement till b2p proves it works.
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Rift has under 300k subscriptions and although profitable its not groundbreaking either.  If they implemented a B2P with cash shop similar to GW2 I guarentee you they would double their concureent userbase and triple their profits.  Sub based games are a dieing breed and theres only room for one currently.

Other sub based games are dead/dying because they suck(ed). Not because they charged a sub.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i very much doubt that trion would agree..if they can afford to give an expansion pack away if you do a years sub,i would say they are making more money than you think..a yearly sub to rift is £72.that works out at just over £5 a month and you get storm legion expansion pack for nothing thrown in.financially they are doing great.

sorry my maths sux..£6 a month.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

No, a F2P model Like Lotro, AoC and now SWTOR is the answerd, B2P with content updates every 6-12 months, dont work as a long term MMO. 

Originally posted by hikaru77

No, a F2P model Like Lotro, AoC and now SWTOR is the answerd, B2P with content updates every 6-12 months, dont work as a long term MMO. 

What about if they just keep putting out a quality product and continue to make their money the way they have been? Maybe that would work too.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    If it goes B2P all the pathetic little Gw2 fanbois will just rip on the game and call it a copy.
  • LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by twitch242
    Go play GW2 then, i dont mind paying a monthly sub if it will keep the cheap morons away.  To The idiot who allready dropped $200 intp gw2 i have only sympathy to his parents who will have to pay for this junk in the end. I really wish there was an age filter for the forums, whould keep the worst away.

I agree completely, leave a good game alone and go play your messiah wannabe MMO. Besides, escept for the headstart weekend, Rift seemed mildly effected from GW2, now it seems alot more packed then it did before GW2 release. I m thinking the people waiting for GW2 logged in less, and alot now realize GW2 isn t that great, now came back to Rift. Sure seems like it anyways.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by twitch242

+1

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

And in 200 bucks how many months i can play rift? i don't see the difference if ulimately you are goign to blow that much money on any MMO.

And OP this topic again? didn't we get over this discussion before?

Bite Me

Originally posted by Nikkita

And in 200 bucks how many months i can play rift? i don't see the difference if ulimately you are goign to blow that much money on any MMO.

He hasn't started it in WoW yet.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Nikkita

He hasn't started it in WoW yet.

And every other MMO sub forum. This is what encourages fans of other MMOS to to constantly hate GW2. Not because game is bad but because its fans can really get on your nerves.

Bite Me

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Sub based games are a dieing breed and theres only room for one currently.

Hey, if thinking that helps you sleep at night, go for it.  

Its an absolutely asinine opinion though.   EvE is doing just fine, is it not?  So theres two right there.  Its a quality issue not a pricing model issue.  Most MMO players are in their mid 20s and up where 15 bucks isnt a large monthly fee for entertainment.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I can buy a year long sub for Rift, get a free expansion, plus everything else you mentioned you purchased for about half what your paying.

Why is this such a good model again?

Rift has a decent sized, dedicated playerbase.  Someone guesssed around 300k earlier, which is about what I estimate it to be.  Games do not need eleventy billion subs like WoW has(had) to be successful.  Rift is successful and will continue to be because Trion is dedicated to their game and it wasn't just a blantant box sales grab like so many releases(SWToR I'm looking at you).

Rift is fine as is.  If you want B2P or cash shop games, there are plenty out already.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

How many times are you going to post this topic? Listen, I realize that GW2 didn't live up to your expectations, but seriously, spamming games that you can't afford to play is plain silly.

Why not get a job or a better paying one? Then you can play any game you want.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

So piss poor CS, bots and hacks is better than what Rift has to offer?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Where did you get the 300k number? I like reliable sources. Secondly, Rift has made it through one big release after another. Star Wars, TERA, TSW and Guild Wars 2 (MoP right around the corner). Star Wars is already going F2P because they made an awful game. TERA and TWS are dying very fast. Guild Wars 2 had a lot of hype and launch steam, but a lot are realizing there is not a ton to do at 80. 

What has Rift done during that time? Pumped out quality content and kept a solid player base through all of this. Everyone I know has tried all of these new games and liked them to an extent, but most end up trickling back to Rift. The date of the xpac release could not be better timing for Trion. Everyone will be over the GW2 and MoP rush and come crawling back.

I am not saying Rift is the best game out there. I do believe it has the best quality PvE content on the market right now and it comes with some decent PvP. Most games excel at one and fail miserably at the other or if you are Star Wars you suck at both endgame.

Not to mention Trion does sell vanity items that they probably make a fortune on them. Almost everyone in the damn game has one of the $10 white tiger mounts. Trion is incredibly savvy with their pricing, marketing etc. They don't need millions of subcribers to make lots of profit. Stability is key and they have more than proven they can do that.