Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Much Money Did You Waste On City Of X?

KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

For me I figured at least six years at $143.00 a year including the exttra time for their christmas sales.  So that is roughly $900.00.  Plus the $9.99 that I put out for their special packs, at least 8 of them for $79.92.

Plus the initial prices of the games, City Of Heroes Collectors, City Of Villians Collectors, and the new 2 years old Rogue Isle pack.  Say $120.00 total if not more.

And a month or two here and there.  2 = 29.98

So for me around $1129.98.

I have 10 servers full of characters.  2 level 50s, one for Hero side, and one for Villian side.  Both punch tanks.  I was slowly leveing up each class side first.

I lost all of my veteran rewards, six years worth.  Plus the anniversary badges, and all the other badges that I spent useless time to get.  At least that time is useless now.

I also lost two years of Lineage 2 characters for another $300.00 when they had a merger.

How did you guys make out?  Small claims court?

I already have spent money on Guild Wars, the first one, and have been buying a few $9.99 costume packs.  So I wonder what will happen to that game?

After seeing this would you guys play any more NCsoft games?

It makes no sense.  The best character creator screen, the best teaming game, the Rikti fun raids.  It makes no sense to me why they would stop this game/service. 

GlassEye

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I pre-ordered during the beta back in 2004.  CoH/CoV/GR - all but two of the costume packs - etc, etc, etc, etc.

I did not waste a penny on CoX.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am sad to see it going.

As far as NCSoft though, it was their third strike for me.  Auto Assault, ExTeel, and now CoX.  They've said goodbye to games that I enjoyed, and I'm enjoying saying goodbye to them.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    NCsoft also canceled Tabula Rasa.  They are the Fox Network of the MMO world.  
  • KalayKalay Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

I pre-ordered during the beta back in 2004.  CoH/CoV/GR - all but two of the costume packs - etc, etc, etc, etc.

I did not waste a penny on CoX.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am sad to see it going.

As far as NCSoft though, it was their third strike for me.  Auto Assault, ExTeel, and now CoX.  They've said goodbye to games that I enjoyed, and I'm enjoying saying goodbye to them.

I played the Auto Assault Beta.  I forgot about that.  I didn't spend any money though.  I played the beta for Tablua Rasa.  Luckily at the last minute I got a refund on 3 months month of Aion though I picked up the software at gamestop for $19.99.  It was around the same time the Linieage 2 merger happened so I got into their customer service on that losing 20 chars in L2.  So I said, sorry I don't want to play Aion now.  They did refund my money.  I was in the Aion beta as well.

And LOL Syntax42!

10 years from now I do not honestly think NCSoft they will be around.  At least with that name.

GlassEye

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I did the CE pre-order for AA.  It was a nifty CE, imo.  I enjoyed the beta.  Felt like the game was going to do well.  Launch day - you could hear the crickets.  Still believe that if they had gone with fewer servers, it would not have been as bad and it might have had a chance to go somewhere.

I never touched Tabula - can't remember why at this point, saw it but skipped it.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Sadly, The NCsoft axe strikes again. I stoped playing thier games when they axed Auto Assault. My heart goes out to all of you hardcore CoH players.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I haven't put a load of money into it although only just paid for another 6 months sub the other week, so hopefully the remaining time will get refunded.

I mostlty chucked all my money into SWG, and reckon I spent over $30,000 on it over the 8.5 yaers. I even paid for three 1 year subs in 2007, which I would not have done if I knew what I know now - at the time the game seemed solid but easily could have shut down shortly after that.

It is quite easy to spend money on MMOs when you think they are solid and safe from shutting down, but then when they do shut down, you will no where spend that much money again on MMOs.

Shutting down MMOs is killing MMOs overall bit by bit, as when you look back at all the money you have spent on them, it makes you feel sick when you have nothing to show for it, except the many hours in a Xfire sig, and the memories you have of playing them, but still can do with Xbox games

Xbox games wilth DLC is more worth it, as you can keep playing them forever, as long as the DLC is still on your HDD etc so its is not money just thrown away in the end, and you still have fun playing the games

If MMOs do not shut down, then I would probably end up spending just as much money on other MMOs too. I bet other people will factor in MMOs shutting down now, and be more careful with their spending, as the thought of the stuff going poof later loses motivations in putting time and/or money into going for it.

It is a shame for new players, who can not play them. I skipped the Megadrive and SNES era, and went straight in at N64 and PS1, but then bought all the SNES and Megadrive stuff afterwards as 2nd hand / preowned. You can still do that now, but you can not do that for MMOs.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Personally I don't consider any of the money I spent as "wasted".  I have memories that I will always have of this amazing game.  I regret not starting right after Beta.  Beta was fun, but I was still too hooked into EQ and DAoC at the time.  I did start playing not too long after though.

I certainly feel the sting of the impending sunset.   My girls, when they were younger, always wanted to play so that they could fly.  My oldest absolutely loved flying and skimming the water to see the effects.

Heck, for a while not only was I playing, along with my girls, but my father was playing with us as well.  

I only wish I had been subbed when they halted everything until the shutdown, so that I could play it until Nov 30th as a full member.  Oh well, I'll still have as much fun as possible.  I'll mainly be taking screens of all my chars (quite a chore there), and some of my favorite places.  

Again, none of the money I invested into that game was wasted.  I enjoyed it and have many fond memories.  If I could go back, not only would I do it again but I would have played even more.

Just my 2 inf.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I spent about $100-120 on it, but I only started playing since it went F2P.

I did get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but at the same time, I feel pretty foolish "buying" stuff that only was going to be around for a year.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I didn't waste any money on City of Heroes and enjoyed it for 8+ years....

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Acidon

Personally I don't consider any of the money I spent as "wasted".  I have memories that I will always have of this amazing game.  I regret not starting right after Beta.  Beta was fun, but I was still too hooked into EQ and DAoC at the time.  I did start playing not too long after though.

I certainly feel the sting of the impending sunset.   My girls, when they were younger, always wanted to play so that they could fly.  My oldest absolutely loved flying and skimming the water to see the effects.

Heck, for a while not only was I playing, along with my girls, but my father was playing with us as well.  

I only wish I had been subbed when they halted everything until the shutdown, so that I could play it until Nov 30th as a full member.  Oh well, I'll still have as much fun as possible.  I'll mainly be taking screens of all my chars (quite a chore there), and some of my favorite places.  

Again, none of the money I invested into that game was wasted.  I enjoyed it and have many fond memories.  If I could go back, not only would I do it again but I would have played even more.

Just my 2 inf.

This is how you look at the money you spend on a mmo. Its only a waste if you had no fun .Had bought vilians an heros colectors edtions. an all the box relse for coh an the collector editons of those if it had one.Only waste is the good will ncsoft just spent an what they will get back is nothing from me.

You just simply dont treat customers this way .

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• bmorrisonbmorrison Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I too felt I have not wasted a single dollar on City of Heroes, since I have enjoyed my time spent playing it
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Did you enjoy yourself? Did you have fun? Then how was your money wasted?

How much money have you wasted on movies? How much money have you wasted on having a nice dinner at a restaurant?

Nothing is forever.

Originally posted by Ryowulf

Did you enjoy yourself? Did you have fun? Then how was your money wasted?

How much money have you wasted on movies? How much money have you wasted on having a nice dinner at a restaurant?

Nothing is forever.

MMOs only do not last forever, other games that do not rely on being online only, last as long you want.

You can have fun with playing many other games that do not cost anything to play, or if they do, you can keep it forever.

The Sims you can you can fun in that, and buy the expansions, and you can still play that today, even the first sims game, and the extras you have bought you get to keep. The same with Train Simulators and the extras you buy. The same with single player console games, and the DLC (as long as your consoles HDD or memory unit does not break)

A MMO with a monthly subscription is not necessarily a waste of money, but if you go buying items for your characters, from a F2P marketplace, and then the game closes that is then a waste, as you may not have time then to enjoy the stuff.

It is very possible to get carried away with a F2P game, and buy loads of stuff for your characters, that you do not really need, or gives you fun for, but just makes your characters look cool.

In SWG to get a TCG item, it was like a lottery, and you needed to buy loads of them just to get the item you want. Each item could cost you over $100s or you could get lucky and get it on the first one and only cost about $5. If the item was a vehicle and you spent over $100 trying to get it, then that really was a waste as in game vehicles operate exactly the same, but do not look so cool. Then when the game shuts down, it is then gone. STO is doing something similar now with master keys and lock boxes - you loot a lock box, then buy a key to open it, and open you get the rare prize. I started spending a bit on that before I had to put a major stop to it, that ended up being a waste of money, as I still did not get what I wanted.

However, if there was a rare Skylander on ebay that cost over $100, which is usually about $8.99 then that would be more worth it, as that game will last forever, as long as your console(s) (before console goes out of production buy a few more as back up!) is functioning.

MMOs are basically games on rent, and "rent money, is dead money"

• anonentityanonentity Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I wasted not a dime, I enjoyed it all and would gladly spend more to keep playing it.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Kalay

For me I figured at least six years at $143.00 a year including the exttra time for their christmas sales.  So that is roughly $900.00.  Plus the $9.99 that I put out for their special packs, at least 8 of them for $79.92.

Plus the initial prices of the games, City Of Heroes Collectors, City Of Villians Collectors, and the new 2 years old Rogue Isle pack.  Say $120.00 total if not more.

I have 10 servers full of characters.  2 level 50s, one for Hero side, and one for Villian side.  Both punch tanks.  I was slowly leveing up each class side first.

I lost all of my veteran rewards, six years worth.  Plus the anniversary badges, and all the other badges that I spent useless time to get.  At least that time is useless now.

I also lost two years of Lineage 2 characters for another $300.00 when they had a merger.

I already have spent money on Guild Wars, the first one, and have been buying a few $9.99 costume packs.  So I wonder what will happen to that game?

It makes no sense.  The best character creator screen, the best teaming game, the Rikti fun raids.  It makes no sense to me why they would stop this game/service. 

Do you also feel that buying food is a waste  of money? I mean after you eat it you don't have it any more.

You should actually read the ToS, on the nexst online game you play. You eill find that you only pay for access to the servers. All the content, even the characters you create belong to the game company.

I loved the City series. I played for 6 years. Unlike you I had 6 50s, and probably 6 more 35+, and several others. I didnt buy all the costume packs but I did buy several. I had a blast, so no it wasnt a waste of money.

I have seen a few of these types of threads about sueing NC over the closure, or starting a riot or whatever. Frankley I find it disturbing. Get over it.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I didn't waste any money on CoH. It was worth every penny I spent.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

Originally posted by Four0Six

Do you also feel that buying food is a waste  of money? I mean after you eat it you don't have it any more.

You should actually read the ToS, on the nexst online game you play. You eill find that you only pay for access to the servers. All the content, even the characters you create belong to the game company.

I loved the City series. I played for 6 years. Unlike you I had 6 50s, and probably 6 more 35+, and several others. I didnt buy all the costume packs but I did buy several. I had a blast, so no it wasnt a waste of money.

I have seen a few of these types of threads about sueing NC over the closure, or starting a riot or whatever. Frankley I find it disturbing. Get over it.

Food and Games is not the same thing and you know it.

This shut down is wrong, and even Paragon studios themselves are trying to get it aborted, and encouraging people to save it too. "Riots" is a bit melodramatic, pleasant negotiations is more like it.

It is not just a game shutting down, and no longer able to play, but devs hard work is now going up in smoke, and 80 odd people will soon be out of work.

As for the players, once the game shuts down, we will all be saving £9 per month or £45 per 6 months. Also hopefully the remaining time of the 6 or 12 months subs that people took out, a couple of weeks ago, will get the remaining time refunded.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I mostlty chucked all my money into SWG, and reckon I spent over $30,000 on it over the 8.5 yaers.

O...M...G!!!!image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    None. I don't find superhero mmos fun
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

The game is EIGHT years old, what do you want?

Released at the same time as GTA San Andreas it is ANCIENT. We didn't even have ps3 and Xbox360 at that time, people were playing on the ZX Spectrum back then.

No one forced you to spend over a 1000 (Holy shit that much) on a videogame.

• fiveodanofiveodano Member Posts: 15

How many hours did you play? The last movie i went to lasted about 2 nours and the ticket cost me about 13 bucks.

Every month that I had subscribed for $15 I played for at least 100 hours.

I never wasted money on CoH, Sorry to see it go.

I too am sorry that we lost a good game and a great community, I feel terrible for the people at Paragon who lost their jobs.

I think I'll go log on for an hour, c'ya in AP

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

maybe 300 bucks, minus 150 I made selling my level 36 controller and some inf early into the game's life lol.

none of it was a waste. 

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Wasted? About $7. It's the game codes I hoarded for a rainy day. The rest was money well spent.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

The money I spent on City of X was not wasted at all and I played City of Heroes since beta and also City of Villains since beta. How can I consider the time I spent grouping and the chaos fighting we did in the initial months of Heroes as wasted .It was so much fun then when I played Villians I recall alll the crazy composition of groups we tried to do the content with as healing was so very weak in Villains.

I do not consider it a waste the people I met the joy I had of getting a much coveted power or seeing my 3rd tier pet for the first time as a Mastermind or my singularity as a Controller. There was a time we did the clockwork king just three of us and we beat it after 30 mins of fighting. There are so many memories I cannot count even and so no sir it was never a waste of money.

Chamber of Chains
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

If you get this serious about online games, you need to really reconsider.  It's not a waste if you had fun and got tons of hours out of it. 

There is no recourse for you.  No online game is guaranteed to last.  Don't spend money on items if you will regret it if the game goes under next month.  It's that simple.

This discussion has been closed.