Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online - rumored to be sandbox mmorpg - seem like sizeable budget - Korean - NICE trail

Like title says - Black Desert Online mmorpg. in development.   

Curtesy of Steparu (Steparu.com)

"Black Desert Online is an upcoming MMORPG currently in development by a new company called Pearl Abyss. The company is founded by the original producer of Continent of the Ninth, so you guys will be in for a treat when you see the trailer below. The latest trailer showcases Black Desert's very fluid action combat system, amazing scenery, unbelievable PhysX detail, very detailed bosses, and best of all large scale siege battles. I would definitely recommend checking out the latest trailer below, this game looks so awesome!"

There are some rumors it is sandbox, but I could not confirm it - so it might not be. Don't get your hopes up prematrely sandboxers.

Here is trailer (BEWARE - it seems that it is made of some low-res videos and 'HD' option is upscalled low-res material so it is NOT really high resolution).

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

Discuss

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Saw this on Steparus page last night, was very impressed, the graphics are mindblowing and the seige warfare, open world and powerful combat looks to be amazing.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Yes, i saw it on Massively. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/07/new-black-desert-trailer-impresses/ One of the commenters says it is indeed a sandbox.

IMHO, i need alot more before getting even more excited. Yes, the character models look quite realistic, the visuals of the land look good, the combat felt visceral from teh video and these "sandbox" feature sound good.

The problem is that this kind of stuff is all standart from Korea. The reason why AA is looking great, to me atleast, is because of all the many different features. So, i definitely need to know what crafting and non combat activites look like. Along with much more.

But, will keep my eye on more info.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

The problem is that this kind of stuff is all standart from Korea. The reason why AA is looking great, to me atleast, is because of all the many different features. So, i definitely need to know what crafting and non combat activites look like. Along with much more.

Well yeah me too, but I mean, it's not set to be playable until late 2013 I believe, so they have a lot of time to work on adding in content and more features, hopefully as many as archeage, because while archeage looks to be great, this game has better graphics and more intense fighting, I find archeage lacks power and is somewhat dull.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Yes, i saw it on Massively. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/07/new-black-desert-trailer-impresses/ One of the commenters says it is indeed a sandbox.

IMHO, i need alot more before getting even more excited. Yes, the character models look quite realistic, the visuals of the land look good, the combat felt visceral from teh video and these "sandbox" feature sound good.

But, will keep my eye on more info.

Definately. You're right. I am of the same  opinion. 

But yeah alot can happen since rumored release is Q4 2013 in Korea so western would be Q3-Q4 2014 earliest propably looking at other 'big' Korean mmorpg's.

Anyway just something to keep an eye on - to get more info.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Neato! Thanks.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Another fantasy MMO, because we don't have plenty of them already....image

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    The characters are gorgeous!!
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Looks like a console game.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Why can't western devs nail graphics, animations and character models to same level of awesomness? what have these Asian companies got that western companies don't? 

Bite Me

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Why can't western devs nail graphics, animations and character models to same level of awesomness? what have these Asian companies got that western companies don't? 

They dont have Obama?  JK our schooling is weak here compared to Asian countries, as well as the standards are much higher to make something good or your family doesnt get to eat

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by madazz

What console are you using that puts out graphics like that??

Originally posted by Roin

Video games have used fantasy settings since the 70s, its not going anywhere.

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

I'm mostly impressed by the characters. Despite being a Korean game they don't look too anime or underaged like most others do. They face is realistic. It almost reminds me of my moded Skyrim or EVE's character creation. I don't know about the gameplay details but for graphics we need games like this. Also the world is a bit Oblivion style. I don't hate cute creatures or plastic characters but new games please try something new.

BTW is it possible to push it up in the hype list not for fanboyism but for more people to see?

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

I consider Warcraft to be a very different kind of "fantasy" from the Elder Scrolls. The latter is imo "hardcore" fantasy like the the Lord of the Rings (although the lotro game does not quite follow the hardcore path). If this game can feature a mature plot and do away with "everybody doing the same thing over and over to save the world" then it can be a fantasy game of a different kind.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I didn't really like the look of the combat, the game looks superb though, the characters are awesome.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

I have the terrible, terrible feeling this is class and gender locked. According to another site, the classes are like Tamer, Elf, Fighter, Sorcerer, and Giant (all the characters seen in close-ups on the video). Also, C9, their last game was an instanced gender/class-locked system as well (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Source: http://www.rantgaming.com/2012/09/07/game-on-pearlabyss-black-desert/ 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

See now I wish the had 2 animation styles that a person could choose from.

1) A more realistic (not real) combat style.

2) A more anime style. (like what is shown).

If they could do that and provide great gameplay Id give it a try.

But I personally hate with a near passion the over the top cartoonie combat. Sorry, I know some people really like that, I just dont happen to be one of them, at least not to the extreme that a lot of Korean/Japanese games go to. And I will say this isnt is bad as Ive seen it before.

Seems so out of place with the western european look of the game, espeacially since I didnt see any example of "God" armor or "God" weapons.

I have to say the game looks incredible, just let me turn of the anime combat.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Wish they would show the UI.

With that being said as an avid hater of all things eastern this game from first look appears to very westernized and amazing looking.  Not gonna lie, it looks way better then AA but cant wait to see what the UI looks like and the core features of the game.  Not a huge fan of actiony combat but as long as there is little to no self rooting animations and there is weapon skills to along with the left mouse click I'll give it an honest shot.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Wish they would show the UI.

With that being said as an avid hater of all things eastern this game from first look appears to very westernized and amazing looking.  Not gonna lie, it looks way better then AA but cant wait to see what the UI looks like and the core features of the game.  Not a huge fan of actiony combat but as long as there is little to no self rooting animations and there is weapon skills to along with the left mouse click I'll give it an honest shot.

I would guess that UI is simply not ready yet, well not in a state it can be shown public.

Yeah it has better graphics than AA and style is better, more realistic and just well better for me.  Well AA is more westernized than most asian mmorpg's but this one is BDO is even better.

Still you have to remember than it will be released at least 1 year later and possibly gap will be even bigger.

AA two-three years ago was supposed to release Q4 2011, then fist half of 2012.  Now it is Q4 2012 or even Q1 2013. 

Black Desert Online has still long way to go as far as we know, so I seriously would not hope that they will achieve their date and reelase it in Q4 2013 (that date seem to pop up). It is preety common and almost impossible to foretell your release date that far ahead. That's why official release dates are usually 'told' 2-4 months before actual release and even then they are sometimes pushed back (like recently TSW in example).

So propably AA will be avabile to play long before BDO will.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Looks very good, though you can't really tell yourself much about gameplay through that vid.

Whether it ever reaches the West is another question that needs to answered first...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DirkonisDirkonis Member Posts: 3
    Likeing the real color palette, get pretty tired of the " everything must be bright and colorful" type of art that a lot of games use today. Looks pretty decent for a preview video of what is probably a very far from completed game. Thanks for the post
  • zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    i hope it is b2p.

Screens (though nothing new since they are in trailer). In HD.

http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/880-black-desert-hd-screenshots?start=1

Damn great graphics and colors. Not so aggresively bright and unrealistic like in most mmorpg's. Really nice change.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    after watching the gameplay video a few more times, I get the impression that this may be - extravagating a bit- closer to a next-gen arcade (read: coin-op)-mentality game than a MMORPG. Hope I'm proven wrong.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

well, it looks good.

We'll see.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by madazz

What console are you using that puts out graphics like that??

Video games have used fantasy settings since the 70s, its not going anywhere.

The camera view SCREAMS console. It is also normal for console games to have previews rendered in higher res on a PC. The graphics themselves are not even remotely special IMO. The only thing that strikes me is it appears the resolution is very high. PS3 and X360 both put out similar graphics in 1080p, though not quite as sharp.