Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! There's no good mmoRPG's left...

JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

So I need an actual fantasy/medival RPG that doesn't suck. You would think that would be easy given how many were made but I'm convinced not a single decent one exists. Here's what I've played and why they're terrible/not my cup of tea now:

EQ1- Everyone dual boxes or solo's, gets less fantasy with each expansion. SoE overgreed

EQ2- Horrible gameplay, too spammy, mostly a bad WoW clone

WoW- Liked vanilla, themepark got too strong over time, not even an RPG anymore imo

GW2- Slightly improved WoW with no player interaction, looking for more PvE and groups

NWN2- Online servers too laggy, not enough players

Vanguard- Devs don't care about the game= dead game, perfect game for RP but not embraced

Warhammer- Too laggy, bad WoW copy version #2384731

DAOC- Just made me want to play EQ

Runescape- Way too simple

SWTOR- Bad WoW copy #1218384

Tera- Game lacks direction and feels more like zoomed in Diablo then an MMO

Rift- Again, no themeparks especially WoW copies

DDO- EQ1 is more D&D then this game, complete trash from a D&D standpoint. Prefer worlds not hubs

Aion/Ragnarok/Maple Story/Korean etc.- can't stand the emphasis on solo grinds, if you're gonna make me grind at least do it in a group. Also prefer fantasy/medival settings

Any good RPG's left? Has to have at least EQ1 graphics and grouping must matter. PvP not needed but doesn't hurt either. I'm not a Sci Fi fan at all just personal preference there.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Try the TSW free trial

Best pve going imo, although I am mainly a pvper.

Give it time, seems solo friendly at first, but you need to group for outdoor pve later

It doesn't have raids, but.. the dungeons ate Rock hard compared to say wow and gw2
  • KrystalmythKrystalmyth Member Posts: 12

Wow I just joined this forum and I'm done with it. I have never seen so much whining.

You just ended your own damn thread. MMOs are not for you. Not yet. That's really all there is to say. Everything else is fluff because nobody is going to change your mind or point out some super amazing MMO you haven't heard of.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Although its not medieval fantasy its 21st century fantasy obviously.

For something more sandbox, try darkfall, but beware the rampant PKing
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Part of the issue that you will run into with proclaiming games as WoW clones is that hardly anything was original in WoW.  So, you're going to be facing issues in regard to that being very vague.  What particular features of WoW do you not like - how do you feel that other games have utilized those same features, etc, etc, etc...

I definitely preferred WoW back in Vanilla.  I never liked EQ - never bothered with EQ2.  GW/GW2 never crossed my radar.  DAoC was a joke compared to what was offered at the time from other games, imo - I know others call it the best game ever - folks are entitled to their opinions - I'm not trying to say they're wrong and there is no point in them trying to say I'm wrong.  It's funny how you have to add that disclaimer for DAoC more than you do for any other game...ahem, where was I?  WAR felt like a partial game.  SWTOR wasn't worth the box price.  Tera...er...I remember somebody mentioning it, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it since I'm not sure that I've ever been less interested in a game (I have no idea why this is the case, it's kind of funny in thinking about it).  DDO is DDO - not sure why the D&D part is in there...probably not alone with that.  RIFT was actually pretty nifty at the start - but uh - well - hrmmm - it was like WoW on meth.  Wait, how can I say that after my opening paragraph?  Well, sure - RIFT had all sorts of new and interesting things - but in the end it was still a blink and you're at endgame nonsense that WoW became.  There, I elaborated.  By the way, how are you enjoying this wall of text?

No game was as good as we remember them - many games are worse than we remember them - even the games we hate (funny how that works out)...

...as mentioned, it's entirely possible that the MMORPG genre is no longer a genre we should consider.  Of course, that basically leaves us without any games, eh?  Yes, it's very depressing - if you're the type to get depressed about things like that.

The overall market has changed - so - the games being developed have changed to reflect that market.  That also means that games that were a certain way have also changed.  It's where the money is (speaking of which, that gets into all the nonsense with F2P/P2W/RMT - etc, etc, etc.  Hey, it would be fine if you were playing a crappy lil' game on your smartphone - but c'mon, I'm looking for immersion - I'm not looking for ads suggesting that I buy something so I can do something.  Oh, that's a little out of left field, eh?

So, after all this ramble - what's the best suggestion I have?

In the end, it's not really the game.  You can take a decent group of RPGers and drop them into any game and they will be fine.  So find the RPG folks and you will have your game.  If the RPG aspect is the important part, that's pretty straightforward, eh?

If it's actually something else, which appears to be the case based on the complaints, well - then you're screwed...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Any good RPG's left? Has to have at least EQ1 graphics and grouping must matter. PvP not needed but doesn't hurt either. I'm not a Sci Fi fan at all just personal preference there.

FFXI maybe. Beyond that, it looks like you've played every noteworthy group oriented game I can think of right now.

...I do feel like i'm forgetting something though. If it comes to mind i'll edit this later.

edit: Oh derp. Ryzom is pretty group oriented, but it has a small playerbase. I'd have recommended City of Heroes as well if not for the shutdown. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Try the TSW free trial

Best pve going imo, although I am mainly a pvper.

Give it time, seems solo friendly at first, but you need to group for outdoor pve later

It doesn't have raids, but.. the dungeons ate Rock hard compared to say wow and gw2

id recommend trying Age of Conan too - the 1st 20 levels is fun and they have improved the game

• tidycatt666tidycatt666 Member Posts: 12
    NeverWinter, OtherLand, both look good. ofcourse they havnt started cb yet. but, soon.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

You are in the same boat as the rest of us.

I'm waiting for ArcheAge, Elderscrolls Online, and Otherland to come out.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

So I need an actual fantasy/medival RPG that doesn't suck. You would think that would be easy given how many were made but I'm convinced not a single decent one exists. Here's what I've played and why they're terrible/not my cup of tea now:

EQ1- Everyone dual boxes or solo's, gets less fantasy with each expansion. SoE overgreed

EQ2- Horrible gameplay, too spammy, mostly a bad WoW clone

WoW- Liked vanilla, themepark got too strong over time, not even an RPG anymore imo

GW2- Slightly improved WoW with no player interaction, looking for more PvE and groups

NWN2- Online servers too laggy, not enough players

Vanguard- Devs don't care about the game= dead game, perfect game for RP but not embraced

Warhammer- Too laggy, bad WoW copy version #2384731

DAOC- Just made me want to play EQ

Runescape- Way too simple

SWTOR- Bad WoW copy #1218384

Tera- Game lacks direction and feels more like zoomed in Diablo then an MMO

Rift- Again, no themeparks especially WoW copies

DDO- EQ1 is more D&D then this game, complete trash from a D&D standpoint. Prefer worlds not hubs

Aion/Ragnarok/Maple Story/Korean etc.- can't stand the emphasis on solo grinds, if you're gonna make me grind at least do it in a group. Also prefer fantasy/medival settings

I like how Warhammer has a higher "WoW copy" number then SWTOR...even though SWTOR is newer. 

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

You are in the same boat as the rest of us.

I'm waiting for ArcheAge, Elderscrolls Online, and Otherland to come out.

Yeah I figured as much, was just hoping there was some gem I missed. Oh yeah I played FFXI but found the game to be extremely boring for some reason. Just me though.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

How did this guy not even mention Lotro?

By the sounds of it he would hate it anyway ... sounds like he will hate anything. I suggest the OP stops playing video games. Many of the games he listed so not actually suck. Just because one may not like them does not mean they suck when many others love it.

You stay sassy!

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Tamanous

How did this guy not even mention Lotro?

By the sounds of it he would hate it anyway ... sounds like he will hate anything. I suggest the OP stops playing video games. Many of the games he listed so not actually suck. Just because one may not like them does not mean they suck when many others love it.

And a single tear rolls down my cheek.

Some of them suck and some are just not what I'm looking for. I forgot about Lotro but you're right I don't like it because it's yet another bad WoW clone. If that game didnt have the Lotr name it would have died a long time ago. I was hoping someone knew of a "not so well known" fantasy game that's worth trying but it looks like there are none. Oh well was worth a shot.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
            You're probably out of luck Jimmy...The genre has really turned to the solo/single player experience the last few years and I dont remember any of the newer games have any meaningful group play......You'll most likely find games like TSW and RIft pretty lame as you've already played similar games and didn't like them....The only good group game I play is called World of DUngeons but its text based, probably not what youre looking for.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Group oriented MMORPGS...
    They are dead Jim.....RIP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

It just went FTP, has a full dev team now, including the original creator. It's updated at least twice a week.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

OP, it sounds like you compare everything to WoW. So if you like(d) WoW, I recommend you go back to it but on a good RP server (Wyrmrest Accord).

Say what you will about WoW, Blizz always puts out a polished product.

Originally posted by Jaedor

OP, it sounds like you compare everything to WoW. So if you like(d) WoW, I recommend you go back to it but on a good RP server (Wyrmrest Accord).

Say what you will about WoW, Blizz always puts out a polished product.

Can polish a turd...

• NicobisgaardNicobisgaard Member Posts: 1

I may be mistaken, but if i understand the author correcly he has the same issue as me: Looking for a game that has some of the qualities that Wow Vanilla (BC) had - And finding such a game is difficult nowadays. Wow anno 2012 is not the same game as it was when it was released. So basically it would be interesting to find a game that had the same focus on difficulty and group play (10+ people) as the original Wow had. It doesn't really matter if the game is sililar to WoW. As long as it's similar to WOW anno 2005. 

Any thoughts on the PVE aspect of The Rift expansion and GW2? As i've read - it might actually be of some interest.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

There is no game you looking atm imho. 

Check back in 2-3 years. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I am just veru curious what people attacvh to the word RPG these days... .. . People say this or that is not a RPG.. But they rarley explain what they are looking for. And the biggest problem is that even when they do it is always different things. And the fact is ofc that pretty much every game is in essence a RPG... But even using the accepted norm i find it hard to figure out why some games are deemd "non-RPG"

The OP's problem is not the so called death of RPG's but a severe case of nostalgia, and against that there is no design that can measure up.

This have been a good conversation

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I'll recomend the games that I play my self as I see you have not played any of them.

No Fantacy games here.

TSW - Best pve ever, free trial

EVE - Sandbox, do whatever you want.

AO - A bit old but very deep and very much team oriented. Free up to level 200 without expansions.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    we in 2012, nobody couldn't make a gem like ultima online age of shadows. but i'm hopeful that there are 2 upcomings games like archeage and black desert online. i bought gw2 it's not bad but it is not the game that i wanted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by tawess

I am just veru curious what people attacvh to the word RPG these days... .. . People say this or that is not a RPG.. But they rarley explain what they are looking for. And the biggest problem is that even when they do it is always different things. And the fact is ofc that pretty much every game is in essence a RPG... But even using the accepted norm i find it hard to figure out why some games are deemd "non-RPG"

The OP's problem is not the so called death of RPG's but a severe case of nostalgia, and against that there is no design that can measure up.

In most cases what people are bemoaning is the lack of more realistic, virtual worlds that the early MMO's tried to emulate, regardless whether they leaned towards being sandboxes or theme parks. (terms didn't even exist back then)

The term MMORPG has become useless, because there are so many variants people have suggested subdividing the genre into MMOVRPG (virtual world) MMOARPG (action, like GW) and a couple of others that escape me now.

Most modern MMORPG's are more "game" like, designed for the more casual player with a quick "in and out" mentality, sort of like, you know a single player game might be.

Forget the nostalgia defense, the fact is modern MMO's are drastically different than their early forebears and for many of us, the changes were neither welcome nor are considered improvements.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Realistic Virtual World...

Shores of Hazeron

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by Nicobisgaard

Wow Vanilla (BC) had - And finding such a game is difficult nowadays. Wow anno 2012 is not the same game as it was when it was released. So basically it would be interesting to find a game that had the same focus on difficulty and group play (10+ people) as the original Wow had.

.......Difficulty?

WoW was the most casual MMO on the market when it launched. And that hasn't changed. WoW was never focused on difficulty. People who wanted difficulty played other MMOs.

I guess the closest you'll find to a difficult group based MMO is EverQuest or Vanguard.