Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school player looking for a new game

redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175

I am ready for a new game. I originally started playing EQ1 somewhere around the release of kunark and enjoyed that game very much. After years of playing I started jumping from game to game probally the same as everyone, especially after the population started to decline after the G.O.D expansion. I found a few good games like :

1. WoW - Great game loved the battle fields. Way to many angry kids unfortunately - I have never had so many viruses on my computer as when i had this game installed. Not a single one since i uninstalled it. Coincidence im sure of it.

2. DDO - A one of kind game with probally the best combat system of all the mmo's. Just a bit burned out on this one. ( Currently playing ).

3. EQ2 - Probally the one I would like to go back to but it pissed me off they stripped my gear and wanted me to pay for gear I already bought the expansion for after i returned. I mean heh wtf  didn't I pay for the right to wear this already??

4. Daoc - Another great game - the world had a great fantasy atmosphere and most of the people are pretty cool.

5. Aion - Loved this game until I hit 50 - End game was boring. I heard they fixed it with a expansion or two though i haven't comfimed it.

6. Vanguard - After they fixed most of the bugs this game was "Ok" but severely under populated.

7.  Lotro - Decent game - A bit of a drone as you level though . Found planting cabbage was more fun than leveling on this one.

and some seriously bad games like:

1. Age of conan - Awesome graphics but much nothing else to talk about. My experience was the same as yours, it almost had to be since you couldn't go anywhere but straight or backwards.

2. Warhammer online - Fell for this one just like everyone else.

the list goes on and on........

I could keep going but what it boils down to is I am looking for a great game. Something new I haven't tried yet . I have research GW2 and it seems to be going through the same thing as wow at the beggining. I am sure it will smooth out and probally be a great game though I don't know if i could wrap my head around the fact that classes aren't individualized as I am acustomed to. I haven't played the new star wars or diablo 2 either but didn't play the old ones so pretty much no clue if thats my cup of tea. Ideally I am waiting for EQ Next or whatever it may be called which is probally years away. I guess you had to be there for the first years of mmo's to understand when I say...I want a druid or wizard to port me to a new  game to camp a epic good time.

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Didn't see you mention Eve Online there...before I recommend that one to you:

1) Have you tried it?

2) If the answer to question 1 is No, how willing are you to try a science-fiction space MMO with a level of logistics and tactics in PvP the likes of which you will have never seen before?

Where's the any key?

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Dont think we will see any new old school games in the near future. If we are lucky EQ3 might have some  old shool elements.
  • redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Didn't see you mention Eve Online there...before I recommend that one to you:

1) Have you tried it?

2) If the answer to question 1 is No, how willing are you to try a science-fiction space MMO with a level of logistics and tactics in PvP the likes of which you will have never seen before?

Ah yes I think so.....Played one or two space games, found myself pondering a second job to pay for better ships for one of them, unsure which one. Prefer the hack and slash fantasy games to sci-fi, something about dungeon crawling for rare loot I really enjoy I guess.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190

Have you tried Rift?

If not you can try it out for free before you buy .. at least for a few levels to see if you like it.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Now that Vanguard is free, it's probably the closest to what you want.

Other than that...nothing, except waiting for Darkfall 2.0.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by redbug

I guess you had to be there for the first years of mmo's to understand when I say...I want a druid or wizard to port me to a new  game to camp a epic good time.

You want something in line of first mmorpg's?

Only few low-budget titles like that. 

Since you crossed Vanguard and I kinda understand why. 

You have 3 viable choices imho:

- try Darkfall Online BUT it is underpopulated, features other than open pvp and sieges are kinda low quality + devs kinda abandoned it.  There are talks about DFO 2.0 but it is like Duke Nukem Forever, diffrence is it might not see light of the day.

- EvE Online - VERY DIFFRENT from most mmorpg's.  Very diffrent.  But it is deffo not shallow and is unique. Still some people thinks that it is dead boring.  Some don't like basically playing 'spaceship' and some love it.

- One I do mostly atm. Skip mmorpg's.  There are few titles on horizon that might be good (or not) but it is at least 1 year till we get them. In some other titles even more. So have fun with single player games instead imho. Or some non-mmorpg multiplayer if you into that sort of thing.

Actually there are some good single player games released recently or releasing relatively soon. Single player games maret was trash for many past years, but it is (slowly) getting better.   Check titles like The Witcher 2,  Skyrim (with mods fixing some dumbing down from vanilla), Dark Souls for rpg's.  Elemental Fallenl Enchantress for strategy.

Also might check : Krater and Legend of Grimrock.  Torchlight II will be soon, Path of Exile is nice also.

For future games : Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Shadorun Online.  X Com Aplocalyspe is releasing soon as well and it might be good strategy.  Bioshock Infinite is coming next year.

Also : Divinity : New Sin.

+ many more I just don't remember atm. 

Mmorpg genre atm is kinda crap.

Single Player games is actually starting to get better. Slowly yes, but first time in almost 10 years. 

Originally posted by phoebes

Have you tried Rift?

If not you can try it out for free before you buy .. at least for a few levels to see if you like it.

I think I tried the open beta for a weekend.  I do remember some of it however. I played a ranger or something similar and if the mobs didnt respawn every 30 seconds there wouldn't be anything alive in visual range at all. Mobs went down crazy fast so never managed to find a group, I am guessing other classes didn't need one either. I did not get to the point where you actually dungeon crawl or raid so maybe you could fill in the blanks there. Do the classes in the game have distinguishing attributes which seperate them from the other classes like Tank / Healer / Ranged dps / Melee dps / CC ect...?  Alot of games have caved to the solo beta testers pushing for self sufficiency over team work which I find un appealing. I really enjoy challenging end game raids where everyones role is vital to its success. I put alot of hours into my games being retired and am making it a point to look for a game with a large volume of content also. I appreciate your feedback.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
        Since you're old school how about Anarchy Online or maybe Ryzom??....Im an old school EQ player and I enjoyed both of these.
    Originally posted by fenistil

I guess you had to be there for the first years of mmo's to understand when I say...I want a druid or wizard to port me to a new  game to camp a epic good time.

You want something in line of first mmorpg's?

Only few low-budget titles like that. 

Since you crossed Vanguard and I kinda understand why. 

You have 3 viable choices imho:

- try Darkfall Online BUT it is underpopulated, features other than open pvp and sieges are kinda low quality + devs kinda abandoned it.  There are talks about DFO 2.0 but it is like Duke Nukem Forever, diffrence is it might not see light of the day.

- EvE Online - VERY DIFFRENT from most mmorpg's.  Very diffrent.  But it is deffo not shallow and is unique. Still some people thinks that it is dead boring.  Some don't like basically playing 'spaceship' and some love it.

- One I do mostly atm. Skip mmorpg's.  There are few titles on horizon that might be good (or not) but it is at least 1 year till we get them. In some other titles even more. So have fun with single player games instead imho. Or some non-mmorpg multiplayer if you into that sort of thing.

Actually there are some good single player games released recently or releasing relatively soon. Single player games maret was trash for many past years, but it is (slowly) getting better.   Check titles like The Witcher 2,  Skyrim (with mods fixing some dumbing down from vanilla), Dark Souls for rpg's.  Elemental Fallenl Enchantress for strategy.

Also might check : Krater and Legend of Grimrock.  Torchlight II will be soon, Path of Exile is nice also.

For future games : Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Shadorun Online.  X Com Aplocalyspe is releasing soon as well and it might be good strategy.  Bioshock Infinite is coming next year.

Also : Divinity : New Sin.

+ many more I just don't remember atm. 

Mmorpg genre atm is kinda crap.

Single Player games is actually starting to get better. Slowly yes, but first time in almost 10 years. 

You read my mind. I am so glad you metioned what I was privately already considering. Thanks for the recomendations, I will do a bit of research on these.  I havent really played a single player game since dragon age which was very entertaining. This sounds like a very good idea. Thanks.

Originally posted by Theocritus
        Since you're old school how about Anarchy Online or maybe Ryzom??....Im an old school EQ player and I enjoyed both of these.

I hadn't really considered these since I was unsure of the population issues. Nothing worse than getting a game installed and only hearing echo's in newbie chat zones.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by fenistil
    snap

You read my mind. I am so glad you metioned what I was privately already considering. Thanks for the recomendations, I will do a bit of research on these.  I havent really played a single player game since dragon age which was very entertaining. This sounds like a very good idea. Thanks.

You welcome :)

Yeah do some research before you buy any title. Better to minimalize chance of not satisfying purcharse.  What I find interesting not necesarily might be interesting and fun for you.

Besides those titles are sometimes very difrrent from each other. Even those in same genre.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by phoebes

Have you tried Rift?

I think I tried the open beta for a weekend.  I do remember some of it however. I played a ranger or something similar and if the mobs didnt respawn every 30 seconds there wouldn't be anything alive in visual range at all. Mobs went down crazy fast so never managed to find a group, I am guessing other classes didn't need one either. I did not get to the point where you actually dungeon crawl or raid so maybe you could fill in the blanks there. Do the classes in the game have distinguishing attributes which seperate them from the other classes like Tank / Healer / Ranged dps / Melee dps / CC ect...?  Alot of games have caved to the solo beta testers pushing for self sufficiency over team work which I find un appealing. I really enjoy challenging end game raids where everyones role is vital to its success. I put alot of hours into my games being retired and am making it a point to look for a game with a large volume of content also. I appreciate your feedback.

I'm not a very "experienced" player in rift, but I know each main class has a healing soul with healing abilities to choose from. From what I have seen, a cleric really is what you would want if you wanted a main healer, the warrior is the best tank and the rogue and mage classes are mainly dps but can play some support / secondary healing.

If you want to see the abilities for the classes, try out http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html for the soul builder.

I really only got to max level with one character as a rogue. It's pretty fun, but you can solo all the way up. If you want to run dungeons you do need a group, but they have duo versions of some dungeons on lower difficulty. I can't answer any questions on raiding. I just never got that far.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Drive to the store and spend 60 bucks on Guild Wars 2. You won't be unhappy.
  • MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

I would suggest Darkfall Online. $9 for 30 days, you'll either really really love it or really really hate it. Full loot, free for all open world PVP, not for everybody for sure. The adrenaline in that game can't be matched even by Eve online. Just get in a decent guild after you get down the basics of the game.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by Drvanitus

I would suggest Darkfall Online. $9 for 30 days, you'll either really really love it or really really hate it. Full loot, free for all open world PVP, not for everybody for sure. The adrenaline in that game can't be matched even by Eve online. Just get in a decent guild after you get down the basics of the game.

Agreed, both on the recommendation and the adrenaline from playing. Darkfall gave me the biggest adrenaline rushes out of the MMOs I've played.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

For a themepark with a twist, you might want to give The Secret World a try. I believe they have three day trial before you spend any money. It's an atypical themepark MMO in a current-day setting with mature language. There's fantasy, except in TSW, everything is true. ;)

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Legend of Grimrock is at Good Old Games  GOG.COM  Many excellent choices to choose from there.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I hadn't really considered these since I was unsure of the population issues. Nothing worse than getting a game installed and only hearing echo's in newbie chat zones.

Apparently Ryzom is totally starting over from scratch starting the 25th of Sept...Al previous characters will be wiped and all servers wil lbe merged into one so the pop should be pretty good at that point and plenty of people to play with...It stinks for those that have played a long time, but is good for those that have wanted to try it.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I would suggest one of 2 things.

1) Give Vanguard another try...more players now that its F2P.. but definately sub to it.

2) I dont see many pure sandboxes in there. If you dont want to play a spaceship(EVE) try Mortal Online or Darkfall. Xsyon is even worth it for a month or 2.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Guild..... Wars.... 2....
    Ok, thanks for all the suggestions - Trying Witcher 2 - Its ok - weird controls (Probally designed for a gamepad)- but decent story line. Trying rift as well - It seems to be a world of warcraft clone with enough differences to avoid a lawsuit.  Ryzom keeps coming up - fresh start the 25th sounds very interesting - may check that out today. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

You might want to try The Secret World

It's modern day fantasy and is quite a good mix between old school and new. Definatley made with adult's in mind.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by jpnole
    Guild..... Wars.... 2....

Thanks man, but I have seen the preview and the dungeon walk throughs and I don't think this kind of game is for me. Having played DnD since the seventies, I am pretty much the proverbial "Old dog" who has issues with new tricks. I like how the trinity works and from what  I can tell, GW2 consist of nothing but dps classes - some of which tank or heal a bit better than others, but dps classes none the less. I guess I am worried that if I bought that game, I would get bored really quickly knowing that whatever character I made, It pretty much has the same role as my other characters. I could be wrong about this - feel free to troll these statements.

Originally posted by laserit

You might want to try The Secret World

It's modern day fantasy and is quite a good mix between old school and new. Definatley made with adult's in mind.

I've gotten some really good advice from dogs playing electric guitars in the past. Maybe I will try this. Thank you.

Looks like ryzom changed there mind. Active accounts are going to be able to keep there level and whatever "bricks" are, so the player base at low levels may not be what I was hoping for.  Wonder if  EQ plans on opening a new server anytime soon.