Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: Review in Progress Part 2

Comments

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Months ago I posted that the one thing I really liked about personal quests is that it "calls upon me" to travel somewhere to save the day. So not jarring to me at all, in fact I really like the difference. 

Plus I guess we all forget that before quest hubs became what they are today even wow sent you to far away Zones for quests.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    They need to find a way to increase the player cap in WvWvW.

image or something else cause its pretty ridiculous.

Bigger population cap or possibly another couple of areas/maps. More ground to cover, bigger pop. cap, in case they're worried about player concentration. Shouldn't be hard to design another map that can be placed between each servers border and the central eternal battleground.

It would be smart for Anet to wait at least a few months before they touch this though. We need to let the dust settle and see how well the game retains players before any major changes are made to the systems in place. For now a small bump in player cap would be enough.

• adypodomanadypodoman Member Posts: 1

when you compare combat with other games i wonder why you don't mention c9 it has the best combat in all games especially comboing. just saying.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

werd. It's idiotic.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Hacking problems like crazy and horrible/delayed support yet customer service still has 8.6 on mmorpg..

But we all know it will get a huge rating for obvious reasons..

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Thumbs up on the review in progress so far.  I think it mirrors how I feel about the game.  I rolled a Asura Mesmer, so I've been following a simira path too ... basically, Infinity Ball this, find a bigger power source that, try not to blow up the world in the process.  Lot's a fun and it's been a really smooth leveling curve too.

There are two parts of the game so far that stand out.  The first is the AC inspired vistas, which are really cool only because someone put a lot of time, effort and love into crafting the environments.  AAA work there.  There other part is the random conversations that you run acorss.  I wandered into the Sylvari area and found 3 npcs discussing the finer points of rock-paper-scissors and how unrealistic the game is i.e. rock woudl smash paper.  It's funny as hell and continues for a lot longer than you would expect it too.  It's those little things that have really made the game a joy to play so far.

The environments are incredibly well crafted and the npcs that live in those environments really breath life into the game.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Got my pre-order for Storm Legion today! Woot! Woot! Seriously, though, I bought GW2. Like ANet. Like the game. It will be around for a long time. It's not the alpha and omega of MMO's and the hype was just that...hype. In fact, maybe too much? As fans and critics we put a lot of pressure on these guys to wow us...no pun intended...and for the most part they did. A great time to be a gamer. GW2. Rift. MoP. TSW. Hell yeah. So many great games and not enough time.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Bigger population cap or possibly another couple of areas/maps. More ground to cover, bigger pop. cap, in case they're worried about player concentration. Shouldn't be hard to design another map that can be placed between each servers border and the central eternal battleground.

It would be smart for Anet to wait at least a few months before they touch this though. We need to let the dust settle and see how well the game retains players before any major changes are made to the systems in place. For now a small bump in player cap would be enough.

Shit... it's almost like some companies do do something wtih that $15 a month...

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Maybe it's because I'm doing 100% completion, but I've never been too low for my story content.  I'm usually a level or two higher.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I've never had a W v W queue, am on Borlis Pass and play Australian evenings.

Obviously a few of you need to emigrate (server and country) :)

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

To the author,

As others have suggested, I would advise your guild to switch to another realm.  There are several highly competitive servers that have very low queue times.

I've also noticed a discrepancy in queue times due to character levels.  I do not have hard numbers, but it seems that a level 80 character gets into WvW much quicker than low-to-mid-level characters.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

Originally posted by Finit

To the author,

As others have suggested, I would advise your guild to switch to another realm.  There are several highly competitive servers that have very low queue times.

I've also noticed a discrepancy in queue times due to character levels.  I do not have hard numbers, but it seems that a level 80 character gets into WvW much quicker than low-to-mid-level characters.

I actually left Jade Quarry within the first few days of early start, because everyone and their mom was there, and the population was very heavily tilted toward being people who WvW. 

I think this may be one of the things that caught ANet off guard.  I certainly didn't expect WvW to be this popular, and it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't either.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Wvwvw intermixing NA and Oceanic = no thanks. Let's say you have one oceanic vs two na servers. During oceanic peak there are no na players so they own the map, during na peak there are no oceanic players but there are two armies on peak time fighting it out. This = Broken pvp. I know I know, well people will just get up during off peak and this will help deter that sort of strategy, but hey at least they earned it, one oceanic vs 2 na is pretty much a gimme for the oceanic and likewise the other way around. Me not like!!!
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

The most surprising thing for me about playing GW2 is the degree to which it's made me realize how very annoying, tedious, and clumsy other, older MMOs are.  This is the game future games will look to for copying - sorry, I mean - inspiration.  (Soon, the phrase "WoW clone" will be replaced by "GW2 clone". )

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I have enjoyed the personal stories for all of the races; some of the missions are quite challenging. I have to say, however, that the Norn personal story missions (some of them) are FAR more difficult than the storylines for the other races, imo.

The only thing that bugs me about the personal storyline missions is that you are "downleveled" for personal story missions, meaning that if you are having great trouble with one, it doesn't help to come back and try it again at a higher level. This is kind of frustrating and, again, this has only really been an issue in the Norn personal storylines.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Not that it is really going to save a lot but I believe if you use anything that causes a loading screen such as a wp it restarts your queue. Been wondering about it for a while so don't use any if I am in a queue and I notice my time getting into the WvW is significantly lower than those complaining about it in chat. It is also lower for me as well since I satrted doing so. Now granted it could just be a coincidence and those complaining could be massively embellishing. Worth at least checking out though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Corpus47Corpus47 Member Posts: 13

Solid review and matches my experience quite well. I'm a much more casual player now that my kids are old enough to have evening activities all the time, and Guild Wars 2 fit what I needed just right.

Moreover, my wife, who has never been a "hardcore MMO" player, just loves GW2 for the diversity of experiences available. I come home from work to find her crafting away in-game while dinner is cooking - how cool is that? A level of involvement she never had when I got her to play WOW, Warhammer, etc. with me.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I really really wished i would like this game. But i dont think its good ;( What the hell is wrong with me
    Originally posted by Snikz
    I really really wished i would like this game. But i dont think its good ;( What the hell is wrong with me

There's nothing wrong with you.  It's a matter of preference.  I'm actually a hardcore sandbox guy, and I'm enjoying this game despite *hating* SWTOR, and falling asleep playng Rift and other themeparks.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Guild Wars franchise, and I'm having a blast in this game.  Is it significantly different from other recent games?  Not really, but there's something about it that appeals to me.  Everyone is different.

I think it's a good thing there are so many games on the market.  Lots of choices.  If you can't find something worth playing, you'll just have to wait I guess.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    I've found the combat in GW2 to be less interesting than in TERA, about on par with TSW. With so few skills to use most of the time, my combat usually involves merely "waiting for cooldowns, press button". Switching weapons is about the most taxing thing I have to think of during combat (ranged vs melee). My Sigils? (I can't remember the name atm) work by themselves most of the time, the actives being so a) useless b) niche that I can't be bothered to press them unless i'm stuck waiting for cooldowns on everything else. Dodging is far less important here than in TSW and TERA as well.

I kind of agree. I'm still playing TERA along side GW2 because TERA's combat is just that appealing. I'm max level in TERA, and only 10-ish in GW2 though. However I will say the only factor keeping me playing TERA is the combat, as everything else in the game aside from the graphics feels bland and boring. GW2 is exciting in every department aside from the queue times. Just my opinion.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    This is pretty much in-line with my experiences this far, though I haven't had to explore/level outside of my racial zones. Every time I zoom out to look at the map I'm a little overwhelmed by how bit it is. I'm level 52, and I've only seen like.... 7 zones + the cities. It's insane.

Queue times on JQ have definitely dropped since the new servers opened up, and I've been told a couple of the better guilds xferred to Henge, which is why they've been stomping us. Hopefully the bandwagoners will start to drift off JQ soon and the population (and queue times) will stabilize.

The biggest issue I'm having with the game thus far, however, has been instances. CM is the only dungeon (of the first three) that is properly tuned. Both TA and AC have trash that is far too difficult, and bosses that are, generally, a cakewalk. Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it seems that if someone leaves your runs you're screwed, as a replacement gets dropped into a different instance of the dungeon.

• VladrielVladriel Member Posts: 46
    I've found the combat in GW2 to be less interesting than in TERA, about on par with TSW. With so few skills to use most of the time, my combat usually involves merely "waiting for cooldowns, press button". Switching weapons is about the most taxing thing I have to think of during combat (ranged vs melee). My Sigils? (I can't remember the name atm) work by themselves most of the time, the actives being so a) useless b) niche that I can't be bothered to press them unless i'm stuck waiting for cooldowns on everything else. Dodging is far less important here than in TSW and TERA as well.

Dodging less important? Whatever! You may not be saying that once you keep dying and paying a hight repair bill. Combat in tera is not interesting at all and boring.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

It isn't as easy as simply increasing the cap. The servers aren't evenly populated. If they go that route without somehow equalizing servers the lesser populated ones will get obliterated in WvW.

This is why some say they have no queue or a very short one and others can wait up to hours.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I have only tried to queue for Mists twice, both times I ended up leaving the queue once it popped because I was running low on play time that session. Kind of annoying, but I always planned on WvW to be more of an end-game activity for me.

The whole "leaving your leveling track" to another zone thing does miff me a bit too, not because it's hard to do or whatever I just feel you shouldn't have to, but I actually like exploring in this game and finding new skill challenges and PoI's/Warp points.

I've had the most fun ignoring my map and mini-map and just setting off for something I can see in the distance.

Trading post issues haven't effected me too much, I'm kind of a coin horder so I'd rather grind a bit to get mats I need for crafting.

I don't really worry about my gear being up to snuff while leveling unless I can craft it myself - and am having no problem keeping both my Armorsmith and Weaponsmith up to my level in terms of what equipment I can/can't use (experimentation is key!)

My only REAL gripe is that I just get such "grass is greener" when it comes to Professions/characters.

Started a Asura Gaurdian, got to late teens, made a Human Warrior, got to early 30's, now on to a Norn Guardian and loving it, level 18 or so.

At this rate it's going to take me forever to get max level, let alone in my 40's-50's.

Oh, and I always hate in MMO's that if you have long hair and put on a helmet nothing sticks out. Umm hello I've got a 3 foot poneytail on my Norn, but when I put on a chainmail skull cap nothing is coming out?

I wish they'd address that, most MMO's never do, but here's to hoping.. they have more concerns right now.

If these are your biggest concerns....I'm thinking you  are having a good ole time.

LOL

For what it's worth, I want all the professions too.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Vladriel

Dodging less important? Whatever! You may not be saying that once you keep dying and paying a hight repair bill. Combat in tera is not interesting at all and boring.

My highest is only level 19, but I've died once. A single time. I must be godlike to not need dodge in GW2 and still have died only once.