Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW's launch was FAR worse for the first month, get over yourselves!

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Just wanted to point out that when a product has far more attention given than previously expected, problems arise.

This has happened multiple times in the past, and the most notable example is WoW's first month of launch.

I'd also like to point out that I am the most neutral person towards GW2 as it comes (check my post history). I've been around, and seen it all. This is NOTHING NEW, and you're not as special or an isolated little snow flake that you believe yourself to be.

Yes, you paid money, and you demand service for said money in return. However, keep in mind YOU chose to invest into a BUY TO PLAY product. This ultimately means you have ZERO complaints allowed with regard to customer service quality as it is EXPECTED to be lesser than a PayToPlay MMO.

It was YOUR choice, now sit there like adults and wait like everyone else.

/rant-off

You can start complaining if by October there are still rampant issues.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Yeah I agree, but this rampant hyperbole of launch issues is nothing new.

They will rant and rant about how GW2 is an epic fail because they couldn't sell their ore on the auction house.  But just about everyone will just shut up once all the launch issues are fixed.  And since most of are...the shutting up will probably happen soon.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Why do you think people care about what happend in wow? Wow was launched how many years ago? Its actually wows fault that so many people play mmo's. So technically everything can be blamed on wow. A lot of us liked it when all you wow'ers didnt know what mmo's where.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

People need a new yard stick to measure thing's by .. I've never played WoW and I never will .. but come on stop comparing an 8 year old game , using at time of release Tech that is now 8 years old 

Compare it to ToR by all means .. at least it's a bit more comparable in server/back end tech and release size  

It's 2012 .. we are not in 2004 anymore Toto

Originally posted by Requiem1066

People need a new yard stick to measure thing's by .. I've never played WoW and I never will .. but come on stop comparing an 8 year old game , using at time of release Tech that is now 8 years old 

Compare it to ToR by all means .. at least it's a bit more comparable in server/back end tech and release size  

Sure, we can compare it to TOR...it had crippling login queues where on some servers people couldn't play for hours.

Just about every mega-popular MMORPG has launch issues.

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Sure, we can compare it to TOR...it had crippling login queues where on some servers people couldn't play for hours.

Just about every mega-popular MMORPG has launch issues.

I'm not denying that or saying GW2 launch was bad .. it just seem's illogical to compare ANY new game/release to an 8 year old one .

It's kinda like saying .. " The car I bought in 2004 wasn't very good , so it's ok if the one I buy tomorrow isn't either "

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Just wanted to point out that when a product has far more attention given than previously expected, problems arise.

This has happened multiple times in the past, and the most notable example is WoW's first month of launch.

I'd also like to point out that I am the most neutral person towards GW2 as it comes (check my post history). I've been around, and seen it all. This is NOTHING NEW, and you're not as special or an isolated little snow flake that you believe yourself to be.

Yes, you paid money, and you demand service for said money in return. However, keep in mind YOU chose to invest into a BUY TO PLAY product. This ultimately means you have ZERO complaints allowed with regard to customer service quality as it is EXPECTED to be lesser than a PayToPlay MMO.

/rant-off

Couple things i can't quite follow here, B2P or not an MMO requires this "service".

If company A is telling me they can provide what B is at a lesser rate, and continually advertise their product to me as such, I'm expecting the same level of service. When company A also  basically comes out and says something like an MMO service really doesn't require that regular stream of income in this day and age for upkeep costs (15$ a month). I expect them to be honest about what those upkeep costs are and acknowledge what they'll be missing ( if anything will be missing), they didn't do that. Instead they tried to paint other companies as asking too much in return of their services.

I was also unaware it was up to you when others could begin complaining.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• fahadjafarfahadjafar Member Posts: 44
    the thing is WOW is a 7 year old game. and gw2 is a brand new one. but despite being a new generation game, having all kind of new technology available these days in their disposal, anet is facing the same problem WoW showed 7 years ago when they 1st released. so to many people it is fail. although i am not one of them. i always say "patience is a great virtue". 60$ for a game, 8$ per hour part time job salary, 60/8= 7.5 hrs. so after purchasing the game if you have played at elast 8 hours you got your money back, no point crying and whinning.
  • MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    GW2 ranks up ther as one of the worst launched games since WoW, get over yourself mr op.  It isn't the worst game but the launch was horrendous. Thats a fact.
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Yes, WoW had a bad launch back in 2004. Since then, there have been MANY games released. One would think that companies should have this whole smooth release thing down by now...

Still, it's not like having a bumpy launch is anything specific to GW2. Everyone should expect it from new MMORPGs.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by MrReality
    GW2 ranks up ther as one of the worst launched games since WoW, get over yourself mr op.  It isn't the worst game but the launch was horrendous. Thats a fact.

I wish you were trolling. Besides the 1st 2 hours, the game has ran fine and sucked up a lot of my free time. We must have different definitions of horrendous, considering the worst problems I can point out are the TP and the forums. Definite problems, but horrendous is quite the exaggeration, MrFantasy.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Agree. Are these children posting these posts because it's complete nonsense. Every game launch since wow has had issues however they have had the best launch out of any game at Anet that I've ever seen. Bugs don't last long, servers and services aren't down for any length of time to be concerned about (ten minute login server issue ooh aah) . I mean really? Aside from hacked acounts pains and money issues with the store i can't imagine anything else these people really have to complain about.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So i guess you've completely forgotten Blizzards other failed launch, Error 37 anyone? yeah...

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    just want to let you all know that complainers will never stop complaining because as a person they expect things to be perfect first hand. Let the complainers complain and you'll figure out soon enough that its pure entertainment from Soap Opera tv shows.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Rift's launch should be the standard (for newer MMOs). Forget WoW, that was eons ago tech and genre-wise. Its release was unprecedented at that time! So stop this rubbish comparison.

"I don't think we had any idea what we were getting ourselves into," Pearce said at the recent DICEexecutive summit. The studio quickly ramped up from its 500-employee taskforce to 4,700 people in 11 cities across the world.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40230/DICE_2012_Blizzards_Pearce_on_World_Of_Warcrafts_launch_hangover.php#.UEpWi40ge8g

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

WOW did have a bad launch.  UO had the worst launch I'm aware of though.

The question is when will developers learn from the mistakes of others?

Erm...I don't think you really have seen a horrendous launch.  The only issues with GW2 launch that I know of are/were:

1.  Trading post down (up now)

2.  Some folks had difficulty getting into the same overflow server as their friends (seems to be fine now)

3.  Occasional lag (Seems much better now)

4.  Servers for down during a single night during headstart.

5.  I have heard complaints that some people in Europe couldn't login...not sure of the scope of this, but I don't think it existed in the states.

Those...really, aren't all that major.  Especially when most MMORPG launches feature 2 hour long login queues (yay).  The mere fact that in exception for one night and a few people, just about everyone can logon to GW2 at any time during launch week and be playing immediately is pretty freaking good for such a big launch.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Fact doesnt mean what you think it does.  You are looking for the word 'opinion'.  For someone name MrReality you are pretty out of touch with it.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Its like they didnt test anything at all and made the most stupid thoughtless misstakes that should have been obvious. 

Yeah a lot of companies come over as doing that lol ( or not doing that as the case may be )

I played the beta test for Lotro RoR expansion .. and it was a buggy mess .. if they had released it when they had planned it still would have been a buggy mess.

But they delayed it to fix issues .. will it be bug free ? hell no .. but will always have more respect for companies who try their best first , rather than release it then try to patch it up to their best 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    OH! this old chestnut is being rolled out again... Sorry guys just put up and shut up about a bad products you should be just thankful that GW2 and MMO's exists at all you lot of peasants you. image   image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

This launch has been okay and some are going overboard about the problems that have been going on.

Having said that it is really dumb to bring up WoW considering how long it has been and other companies albeit few had really smooth launches. Hard to take anyone serious when they bring up launches from that long ago.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Anubisan

Yes, WoW had a bad launch back in 2004. Since then, there have been MANY games released. One would think that companies should have this whole smooth release thing down by now...

Still, it's not like having a bumpy launch is anything specific to GW2. Everyone should expect it from new MMORPGs.

I agree but there is a degree to these bumps in launch and so far LOTRO, RIft and TSW come on top for release with as  less bumps as possible.

Bite Me

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hate hate hate and more hate, who cares ? within a year no1 will remember that the trading post was offline for 7 days.....or a part of a story line dint continue.

I am having such a great time in GW2, it exceeded all my expectation, this is the mmo for me and my wife for years and years to come.

let haters hate, who cares about basement dwelling kids with rage issues :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hate hate hate and more hate, who cares ? within a year no1 will remember that the trading post was offline for 7 days.....or a part of a story line dint continue.

I am having such a great time in GW2, it exceeded all my expectation, this is the mmo for me and my wife for years and years to come.

let haters hate, who cares about basement dwelling kids with rage issues :)

You're saying this in a thread bringing up WOW's launch problems in 04 :D

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

/rant-off

One major thing I don't agree with from the get go here is the fact you think just because the game is B2P it doesn't have stellar customer support as if P2P customer service of any major mmo is any better, that you think P2P has better customer service because of the sub fee, that's a joke and a huge myth.

I've worked Customer / Tech Support for years and even the most respected companies in the world have their share of issues and disgruntled customers that will take to the internet to say what they want or feel about said company.

It can be a Bank, Technology companiy or cell phone comapny, whichever you choose it is always the same, that doesn't mean the company has bad customer support.

a bit of info for those not aware if you do know feel free to skip this part.

CS works by service levels and targets, if the targets are not met and the reports say the CS is not doing it's job properly trust me that company will very quickly change procedures or contract a 3rd party CS company in order to reach better results and keep their customers satisfied.