Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2: Nov 13th expansion, Chains of Eternity

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/everquest-iis-chains-of-eternity-expansion-slated-for-november/

Adventuring and tradeskill level caps will tick up to 95, new prestige abilities are coming, and of course there are plenty of new quests on the way as well. Producer Holly "Windstalker" Longdale also hints at "another event that we're keeping under wraps." She says it, whatever it is, will debut around the same time as the expansion.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

more info  (2 screenshots at link)

http://eq2wire.com/2012/09/06/everquest-ii-chains-of-eternity-details/#more-14250

Introducing EverQuest II: Chains of Eternity! This is the 9th expansion of the revolutionary EverQuest II franchise. This expansion contains must-have features such as level increases, prestige abilities and new game items only available with this expansion, such as adornments that become more powerful with your character. Also, explore new content in two spirit-realm versions of familiar lands, and experience adventure with new dungeons and quests. Put right the imbalance in the Ethernere!

Features:

• Prestige Abilities – Each subclass will get access to new Prestige Abilities!
    • Prestige Tradeskills – Your crafting will shine like never before with Prestige Tradeskills.
    • Organic Adornments – New adornments that gain experience with you and grow in power.
    • Guild Level Cap Raised to 95.
    • Adventure to Level 95.
    • Tradeskill to Level 95.

New Content:

• Obol Plains – Discover the realm of Ethernere and the mysterious Obol Plains where an imbalance in the realm of the afterlife is apparent in all the surroundings and its inhabitants.
    • The Eidolon Jungle – Every area of Norrath has its own home in Ethernere. Adventure through the amazing, transformed lands of the Feerrott as it exists in the afterlife.
    • 9 New Instanced Dungeons – All new dungeons with unique, exciting encounters…and loot!
    • All New Quest Lines – Experience the story of this unique realm in any play style you choose. There is plenty for everyone!
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

So...bout that engine update...

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I love it when MMOs keep raising the level cap, it's pointless and it  help scares new players off.

Should just get rid of levels and have a consider system like SWG.

Originally posted by tixylix
    I love it when MMOs keep raising the level cap, it's pointless and it  help scares new players off. Should just get rid of levels and have a consider system like SWG.

I always liked leveling, personally.

Especially in 1-70 range in WOW, or EQ1 style.

EQ2 was alright, but I spread it out over so long a period of play I didn't get as much out of it. (Hit 80 in January or so with 202 AA since 2007...)

i still enjoy eq2 but disliked  they require 280 aa to proceed beyond level 90

i understand it helps for game balance - but wish they found a better way

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Ditto Nadia,i can't agree more.My Ranger is sitting at 250 AA and the quests went dry and i get tired of the chronomage,i am not much of a grouper since i don't have much time.
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I love it when MMOs keep raising the level cap, it's pointless and it  help scares new players off.

The type of player who is put off by leveling to 95 is the type of player that isnt going to enjoy what EQ2 has to offer anyway.  EQ2 is no longer the top raiding game, thats fallen back to WoW.  But as far as leveling or atmosphere, its still near the top.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    The expansion sounds pretty meh so far. I'll personally be more excited if they ever update their game engine. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I couldn't find where it said Nov was the release month. Where was that?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=522020

Chains of Eternity itself releasing in November.  We’re even releasing additional free content at the same time that the expansion launches.  Players will discover that avatars are once again making an appearance in Norrath. These avatars are different from those who appeared in the past.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Excellent. Thanks, Nadia!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I can see now why they gave us access to Ethereal Weapons  , knowing there gonna be trash in 2 months ..:(

Originally posted by Tutu2
    The expansion sounds pretty meh so far. I'll personally be more excited if they ever update their game engine. 

The game would see a large, new surge of life given a proper render.

• KvjavsKvjavs Member Posts: 16

Another expansion with more level raises?  Why not just do what Age of Conan did and introduce harder enemies?  They're killing the GREAT content before the max levels.... Desert of Flames, Kingdom of Sky, Echos of Faydwer... all great expansions with great content, but slowly being pointless to do except to rush through them to get to the max level.

EQ2 needs a progression server.  1 expansion unlock per quarter or something.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Keylogger

Originally posted by Tutu2

The game would see a large, new surge of life given a proper render.

I can't see them wasting time on it. At most perhaps improvements to certain textures (typically landscapes is the biggest bang for the buck without major engine improvements).

They are likely starting to put a large investment into Everquest Next and the Forge Light engine. With SOE putting so much emphasis on sandbox elements lately I would guess that is something we may see more of. Either incorporated into an existing IP or a new one. If they are smart they will expand EQ2 into a more true mmorpg. If they are stupid it will be EQ2 with better graphics.

You stay sassy!

ordering details

http://www.everquest2.com/expansions

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/16/everquest-ii-chains-of-eternity-pre-order/

tandard Digital Version $39.99

• Cloak of Mourning (Only Available with Pre-Order)
    • Drinal’s Scythe Replica – Mounted
    • 2 x Scroll of Resurrection

Collector’s Digital Version $59.99 ($89.99)

• Hero’s Blessing of Experience
    • 1x 6 hour 100% XP potion
    • 2 x Portal Globe of Swift Travel
    • 2 x Health Potion
    • 2 x Power Potion
    • Firiona Vie Memorial Tapestry
    • Krivix Honorclaw – Werewolf Mercenary

players are posting that you can get it for 29.99 at the moment (but thats not the advertised price)
  • DasterdlyDasterdly Member Posts: 30
    For those on the fence about returning with this xpac, it would appear that you will get only Destiny of Velious bundled with CoE.  You will need to purchase Age of Discovery seperately if you want access to the the beastlord class or the use of mercs.

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-keynote-2-live/

If you did the prelude event, you saw Firona Vie die.

You’re going to be sent into the afterlife, the domain of Drinal, the silver reaper.

Chains of Eternity
    * Level 95 – Adventure, Tradeskill, Guilds
    * Adventurers you’re getting all new abilities.

* Incremental Spells – brand new abilities. A rogue, the more you cast a spell, it will enable a new ability. Healers, the more you cast it, the more the buff improves, and perhaps changes entirely. For casters, cast several versions of it to launch a massive nuke.

Tradeskillers are getting Prestige Abilities.
    * Experiment on an item several times. You can increase its stats, add decorations, add procs.
    * Mass Production — make several items at once.
    * Refining and Salvaging

Spirit Stones – grow in power when you do what it says on the item.
    * Sigil of the Silver Reaper — the more you heal your allies, you gain passive abilities.
    * Gravedigger’s Mark — the more you kill creatures in Ethermore, the more abilities you unlock.

Flythrough video through Eidolon Jungle (Feerrott).
    Flythrough of Loping Plains alternate zone.

[Editor's Note: This is the same video we saw in Art & Animation.]

Ethermere version of Cazic-Thule dungeon. Totally new zone with Cazic-Thule influences.

Venekor is back.

Off the shores of Ethermere — a ship captained by denizens of Zek.

* Heroes End — citadel of Drinal — MASSIVE temple. 7 levels to the zone.

Second half of Sleeper’s Tomb

Contested version of Sleeper’s Tomb

Chelsith — the ancient vault — totally new zone.

Wormbone – Massive new zone wioth the Ashlock — new race that act differently at night. The zone changes based on time of day. It is an outdoor dungeon.

Video of Kerafyrm trying to break out and take on Norrath.

2 new dungeons early next year — Siren’s Grotto, Cobalt Scar
    First flythrough video of these two zones.

The amount of content coming to EQ2 over the last 4 months is mind-blowing. This ain’t no Skyshrine repurposed 12 different ways.

Chains of Eternity PUBLIC BETA — Monday.

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/19/eq2-mechanics-panel-live/

* Remove Adornments from items
    * Adjustment to Mentor Experience
    * Group XP Penalty is gone – must be on hate list
    * 280 AA reward with the expansion  (limited to 2 characters which are level 90)
    * Guild Chronomage
    * Guild Deity Altars
    * Guild Standards more

PvP
    * New level 95 gear

New Character Development UI
    * New AA window with lots of info on the left side.

Tradeskill Specialization
    * New point pool doesn;t draw from shared # of AAs

Refining and Salvaging
    * Harvest Node Tracking
    * Gathering Goblin
    * like the pack pony but can harvest rares
    * Mobile Crafting Stations
    * Deconstruct an item into raw materials.
    * Refining – refine an existing rare component into a pure rare component — boosts the stats
    * Mass Production
    *Craft multiple items at a time

Experimentation
    * Change stats, add procs

Adornments
    * New crafted tier of level 90 white adornments
    *( Tinkered Adornment Removers
    * Items in Chains of Eternity drop with a yellow or red adornment already applied

“Spirit Stones”
    New adornment type that gains in power
    New green adornment slot
    Creative Kills, Experience gain, Health healed, damage you inflict
    * some items grow slowly in power, some grow quickly but cap

New EQ2 Technology
    * Incremental buffs and debuffs
    * Absolute Overrides for reuse, casting, and recovery speeds
    * State Change monitoring
    - when you are stunned, stifled, or if you are immune, do things based on that (cure when you get stunned)

Prestige Abilities
    * window changes layout
    22 bubbles

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/20/280-aas-claim-item-with-expansion/

for those folks behind on AAs, if you buy Chains of Eternity, you get an item you can claim 2 per account (not 1 per character) that if you are level 90 it dings you to 280AAs.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

I've bought every Everquest 2 expansion so far, and I've been playing since the first day, but I am not sure about this. I play on Nagafen, and I really enjoyed the open world pvp, and I miss it, but what I miss more is a large population. It just seems like Everquest 2, at least on the Nagafen server, is really lacking in that population and that makes me wonder if I should resub / buy this expansion.

I recently purchased WoW with all the expansions, and I'm having a pretty good time with it, the quest lines are all over the place, it's a solid mmo, but the combat system just lacks so much in comparison to EQ2, but the population is there. So I'm not too sure what to do here.

I'll probably end up buying theexpansion and resubbing to get my Shadowknight to the new level cap, whether or not I will stick around to raid is up in the air. But I do miss this game when it was in it's prime.

Killing dragons is my shit

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

They don't have a choice.  Consumers expect to play the same game forever.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.