Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

You know, I wrote a nice long reply to the OP a 3 or so pages back detailing ways they could get the elementalist to work for them with traits and so forth.  And they didn't respond.

Drachasor sad now.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Don't quit yet. Take a toon to level 80 and see all the world. The grind is not bad. There are a few good hidden things that are pretty cool.

Now when you hit 80, yeah you can quit. Because this game will have no replay value outside of sitting in long ass PvP WvW queues. OR rolling alts. Which some might do, others wil not.

Fix the WvW queues!!!!

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by dreamer05

I don't care about UT. I am discussing MMOS  and i will only talk in terms of how rewards work in MMO genre.

You can not just cherry pick one feature like PVP out of all other activities and say 'working as a team and winning is your reward'.

It holds true for other activities too like DE for example. And since everything in GW2 is team orientied shouldn't winning the encounter be reward enough? if yes don't single out PVP alone . By the way stats also matter in PVP, even though you are bumped to lvl 80, the stats of lvl 80 does make it easier for him say compared to level 30..yes not to the extent of other gear based MMOs but i wouldn't completely count it out of the PVP.

I am sure Anet is going to add rewards for PVP at some time however i completely disagree with the excuses to explain lack of rewards on release.

You don't care about UT which is exactly why you are missing the point, as that is directly comparable with instanced/e-sport/battlegrounds which is exactly what sPvP is. It is not cherry picking at all, you have a progression based mmo-like game world. And then you have a zero progression based, e-sport lobby set up. They are quite distinct and separate from one another.

Are you seriously telling me you can't distinguish between a pve progression based metric which includes progression based rewards and a stand alone pvp component which is all about pvp and winning matches?

In sPvP you all get access to exactly the same stats and abilities, maybe you are confusing it with WvWvW in which character progression does matter even though you are bumped to 80. Again there is also a massive difference between sPvP and WvWvW.

Lack of rewards btw, you mean aside from bragging rights, ranks, armour set skins, titles, tournament wins. You really need it to give you a +1 sword of shinies and some gold? Even though giving one person access to different stuff to everyone else kinda fucks up the whole idea of instanced/e-sport gaming?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Sorry op, but two level 9 characters and you gave up? Thats like reading chapter 1 of a book where the character developement is told and then quiting, when chapter 2 is where all the juicy stuff begins. It only takes a 2 to 3 hours to get to level 9 if you are taking your time. Did you even unlock all the weapon sets on the two level 9 characters. I dont think you gave it a fair chance.
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Lorkii
    Originally posted by wireyankee
    Honest review, and I tend to agree with much of what you said. I still think it's a good game, I'm just not wowed by it at all. The fact that it's "FREE" creates a lot of favorable reviews. If GW@ was subscription based I don't think it would be receiving the praise it does currently.

I agree with this. It isn t a bad game, but if it were a sub game, it would be half if not 1/4 as popular.

Well but it is not a sub based game so your argument does not really count does it?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OP -

Sounds like you have been a longtime MMO player like myself.  Game isn't grabbing you.  That's happened to me many times over the years.  For whatever reason, I'll buy a game and find that I just can't seem to get into it.

I've found that shelving it and coming back at a later date allows to to get a new perspective on it.  Made me reconsider those games I was initially convinced of were bad.

As an example, here are a  couple of games that didn't initially grab me, but after coming back I appreciated in a new light:

DDO

GW1

This is not to say that GW2 may never grab you, but it may be that for whatever reason its not  the right time for you to enjoy it.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

What games do you like? what are you currently playing except GW2?

I'm trying some psychology and will see if i can help you like GW2

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Falcomith
    Sorry op, but two level 9 characters and you gave up? Thats like reading chapter 1 of a book where the character developement is told and then quiting, when chapter 2 is where all the juicy stuff begins. It only takes a 2 to 3 hours to get to level 9 if you are taking your time. Did you even unlock all the weapon sets on the two level 9 characters. I dont think you gave it a fair chance.

Agreed, 2 lvl 9 characters takes only a few hours to lvl. It's impossible to have a real impression after such a short time.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Don't quit yet. Take a toon to level 80 and see all the world. The grind is not bad. There are a few good hidden things that are pretty cool.

Now when you hit 80, yeah you can quit. Because this game will have no replay value outside of sitting in long ass PvP WvW queues. OR rolling alts. Which some might do, others wil not.

Fix the WvW queues!!!!

Even with queues fixed on your server, they are fine on mine, I dont see WvW holding my interest. All it seems to be about is to flip keeps/castles/whatever with no significant result for it either way so they just flip back and forth ad nauseum.

GW 2 is turning into yet another dissapointment for me. Yet another generic ThemePark.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

Ok

Thanks

Bye

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50

I love this game for many things:

Adventuring; (58% W-MAP completion, 60 RNG, Most pets, 200 crafting in Leather and Armor)

Playing with my roommate (who is pissed i 'tricked' him into getting this game now);

That minor 'alive' feeling that that I get when I see NPCs talking and reacting to things that happen;

I hate that I don't get a sense of accomplishment....

I haven't played in about 2 days now, taking a break so i don't finish the PVE (my favorite aspect of MMOs) too fast.

I've cleared all the lower zones in search of fine materials (which drops 2-4 a map during my clearing run and I need for BOTH crafts b/c I stupidly picked 2 of the same crafting types (ARM/LTR).

Fantastic Game, none the less... an excellent choice for spending some loose time on.

I can't bash GW2 for the small stuff, but I just don't feel important in this game.

Probably because my first MMO was FFXI, that shit probably fucked my fun meter all up when I got accustomed to its play style.

Here I come 2.0!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I have never, ever understood this viewpoint.

The motivation and reason to keep going when involved in pure instanced/battleground pvp is surely just because the actual pvp is fun. Besides isn't working as part of a team and winning the match the "reward"?

Shouldn't this logic be used everywhere then? why reward for DE's? heart events? killing mobs? exploring the entire map? daily, monthly or other achievements?  

Should all elements of gameplay be primarily about gameplay fun as opposed to a shiny grab? Er yes quite frankly.

There is also a major difference between instanced/e-sport/battleground pvp which is highly specific "end game"/stand alone content and hearts which are part of a specific progression path metric. You go into the world in an RPG game with the understanding that you are going to advance your character stats. You go into a pvp zone where it automatically bumps you to max level in order to have fun/compete in an e-sport like game.

You will also note that there are rewards for pvp, namely winning matches and winning tournaments. You didn't take part in UT matches in order to unlock a set of go faster super pants +4 for winning a match. You played it because it was fun fragging the crap out of the other players.

I don't care about UT. I am discussing MMOS  and i will only talk in terms of how rewards work in MMO genre.

You can not just cherry pick one feature like PVP out of all other activities and say 'working as a team and winning is your reward'.

It holds true for other activities too like DE for example. And since everything in GW2 is team orientied shouldn't winning the encounter be reward enough? if yes don't single out PVP alone . By the way stats also matter in PVP, even though you are bumped to lvl 80, the stats of lvl 80 does make it easier for him say compared to level 30..yes not to the extent of other gear based MMOs but i wouldn't completely count it out of the PVP.

I am sure Anet is going to add rewards for PVP at some time however i completely disagree with the excuses to explain lack of rewards on release.

They were talking specifically about the instanced PvP. Nothing matters there. Everyone is 80 with equal gear, all skills unlocked, and 70 trait points. in WvWvW yes level does matter somewhat, but not in the instanced PvP.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

You don't care about UT which is exactly why you are missing the point, as that is directly comparable with instanced/e-sport/battlegrounds which is exactly what sPvP is. It is not cherry picking at all, you have a progression based mmo-like game world. And then you have a zero progression based, e-sport lobby set up. They are quite distinct and separate from one another.

Are you seriously telling me you can't distinguish between a pve progression based metric which includes progression based rewards and a stand alone pvp component which is all about pvp and winning matches?

In sPvP you all get access to exactly the same stats and abilities, maybe you are confusing it with WvWvW in which character progression does matter even though you are bumped to 80. Again there is also a massive difference between sPvP and WvWvW.

Lack of rewards btw, you mean aside from bragging rights, ranks, armour set skins, titles, tournament wins. You really need it to give you a +1 sword of shinies and some gold? Even though giving one person access to different stuff to everyone else kinda fucks up the whole idea of instanced/e-sport gaming?

What is wrong with giving people incentives to compete? you are telling me that will somehow reduce the team effort ? or will make winning meaningless? the point here is not whether one is  progression based while other is more akin to UT matches. The point here is you trying to define something as subjective as 'FUN'. So it might not be fun for you but maybe for others it is more fun if they get some tangible rewards to go with it.

Nice strawman there by the way reagrding +1 sword as a reward, becaus i never said any such thing .

edit ; i was talking regarding 'rewards' for PVP both in SPVP and WvW. 

Bite Me

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Whats with all these people leveling to like... level 9 and judging an MMORPG according to it?

Did MMORPGers changed this much?

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I'm getting the impression more and more, especialy from folks on this site, that people are burnt out on the genre. GW2 is a great game, but it wont seem so great if you hold to a romantic idea of what you think you should feel from playing an mmo.  GW2 wont give you that special feeling you got when you first played, or when you were at the peak of your playing.  I know all this because I went though it also. That feeling I got when I walked into Darnassus in 2004, and the booming music and the huge tree and that small feeling I felt surrounded by it all, that feeling is gone. And it took a long time for me to understand that.

Actually, I just realized it with TOR. I thought I could get that feeling back and once I saw it bomb, i realized, no, its gone. But whats in its place is a laidback understanding to accept games for what they are and appreciate them for what they do. Yea GW2 is themepark, but so what? Is the game fun? Thats my only critieria these days. That incessant need to grind for better and better gear has gone. Perhaphs its a function of where I am in life; married and in my 30's.

But if you accept GW2 for what it is, if you can take a step back and enjoy it for what it does, without the hype and the past expecations you might find a really fun game. Just a thought.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

The way they did class skills is extremely boring

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

And I'm sure you saw a lot of the world at level 9.

owned.....bigtime...

Owned.... If you don't have the capability to understand the English language beyond a 3rd grade level.  Read again.

yeah my bad....i DID miss read your post.....but not everyone has the english language as there native one.....so you never make a mistake huh....you must be perfect then......sorry i missread your post mister perfect.

I read these forum in between when working so i tend to make a mistake here and there.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by monarc333

I'm getting the impression more and more, especialy from folks on this site, that people are burnt out on the genre. GW2 is a great game, but it wont seem so great if you hold to a romantic idea of what you think you should feel from playing an mmo.  GW2 wont give you that special feeling you got when you first played, or when you were at the peak of your playing.  I know all this because I went though it also. That feeling I got when I walked into Darnassus in 2004, and the booming music and the huge tree and that small feeling I felt surrounded by it all, that feeling is gone. And it took a long time for me to understand that.

Actually, I just realized it with TOR. I thought I could get that feeling back and once I saw it bomb, i realized, no, its gone. But whats in its place is a laidback understanding to accept games for what they are and appreciate them for what they do. Yea GW2 is themepark, but so what? Is the game fun? Thats my only critieria these days. That incessant need to grind for better and better gear has gone. Perhaphs its a function of where I am in life; married and in my 30's.

But if you accept GW2 for what it is, if you can take a step back and enjoy it for what it does, without the hype and the past expecations you might find a really fun game. Just a thought.

Exactly this.

I find people who likes MMORPGs in general have no problems with playing and enjoying the game. Others... well... can be burnout of the genre as a whole. Espacially those "i made to level 5 and quitted" guys.

Well... to each their own i guess...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

What is wrong with giving people incentives to compete? you are telling me that will somehow reduce the team effort ? or will make winning meaningless? the point here is not whether one is  progression based while other is more akin to UT matches. The point here is you trying to define something as subjective as 'FUN'. So it might not be fun for you but maybe for others it is more fun if they get some tangible rewards to go with it.

Nice strawman there by the way reagrding +1 sword as a reward, becaus i never said any such thing .

Well actually whether or not it was progression based or stand alone was kind of important.

People do have incentives to compete btw.

1. The incentive to have general fun pvping with and against other people in dynamic combat. This is kind of the most improtant thing.

2. The incentive to win matches.

3. The incentive to improve, work out your best fit for traits and skills.

4. The incentive to get involved in tournament competitions.

5. The incentive to gain ranks.

6. The incentive to unlock pvp reward items and titles.

There is nothing wrong with giving people incentives, there is though something clearly wrong it seems to me if people can't see past the carrot and actually enjoy gameplay for what it is. "Ooh I can't do sPvP because I don't get given enough stuffs" just seems odd to me, especially when sPvP is all about... the pvp.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• If you can't get past level 9 then you have a problem.   You may never like this particular game, but there is no way you have even come close to a decent survey of the game or have even gotten much of a feel for a class and getting to level 9 doesn't take much time.

The issue here must be something deeper than just this game.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

@ OP

I am a middle road type of player when it comes to GW2, however I didn't start enjoying the game until I found the right profession to play. I tried out a Ranger and Guardiand and coudn't get into it currently. Then finally my buddy said to try out the Engineer profession and what do you know, I am level 27 now.

Now I am not saying changing your profession may change your mind, but it did for me. Now  I have a level 14 Ranger and Level 15 Guardian on top of my Level 27 Engineer.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Well actually whether or not it was progression based or stand alone was kind of important.

People do have incentives to compete btw.

1. The incentive to have general fun pvping with and against other people in dynamic combat. This is kind of the most improtant thing.

2. The incentive to win matches.

3. The incentive to improve, work out your best fit for traits and skills.

4. The incentive to get involved in tournament competitions.

5. The incentive to gain ranks.

6. The incentive to unlock pvp reward items and titles.

There is nothing wrong with giving people incentives, there is though something clearly wrong it seems to me if people can't see past the carrot and actually enjoy gameplay for what it is. "Ooh I can't do sPvP because I don't get given enough stuffs" just seems odd to me, especially when sPvP is all about... the pvp.

Well the thing is that if I am going to play PvP just for the sake of PvP I will play League of Legends. I want the PvP in my MMORPGs to be in some context and that the outcome leads to something.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

Haha low activity?  Look at my years of membership and posting consistency.  It's exactly the same.  In fact look at all my old previous posts and see if there is any evidence that you can use to back up your claim.  So pathetic.  I beg you, get a life.

You failed to understand. Account age has nothing to do with activity.

I don't 'claim' anything.

But... so what? You played, you claim, to Level 9... and you claim to now be bored. Fine. It's your right to express that (for whatever reason), and it is my right to dismiss it. The cycle continues.

You made your own claim that my account was inactive until GW2 came about... /snip

I did try to look at you post history but all I honestly saw was the first two pages of reeking attitude and outright hostility so I didn't read too much.

I accept you are not a shill though, I honestly do. A shill would be less agressive.

You must be joking.  You need help.  My OP is simply staking my feelings so far and looking to relate.  Your very first post was agressive and presumptive.  Not to mention every single post you've made in the forums that I can find is a negative, jaded, angry, immature rant or complaint.  Sorry you get your way more often than not in mommy's basement but people don't have to share your opinions all the time like she does.  It's perfectly acceptable for two adults to not enjoy the same game and not act like raving lunatics.  [mod edit]

AND IN GENERAL>>>  All these people saying I was quitting at level 9, that is certainly not what I was saying.  I was simply saying I was having a hard time finding motivation to log in.  Looking past all the of ignorantly angry posts there were actually very many helpful posts and I continued to play last night and am starting to see what those helpful people were saying.  Thank you for all who were very helpful and positive despite the fact that you dissagreed with my original opinion.  It's people like that that make me want to play the game, [mod edit]

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I really think you need to have a sense of adventure to really enjoy GW2. I certainly enjoy it.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesaviu

I did try to look at you post history but all I honestly saw was the first two pages of reeking attitude and outright hostility so I didn't read too much.

I accept you are not a shill though, I honestly do. A shill would be less agressive.

You must be joking.  You need help.  My OP is simply staking my feelings so far and looking to relate.  Your very first post was agressive and presumptive.  Not to mention every single post you've made in the forums that I can find is a negative, jaded, angry, immature rant or complaint.  Sorry you get your way more often than not in mommy's basement but people don't have to share your opinions all the time like she does.  It's perfectly acceptable for two adults to not enjoy the same game and not act like raving lunatics.  Leave the basement sweety, you'll feel better...

You are actually demonstrating my point.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

You proved mine a looooong time ago.  Don't spea.. /snipped not read due to hostility and rudeness in general

This has been addressed, but you want to go over it all again?

lol no thanks, you aren't that fun and you are down to repeating yourself in your ranting.

Just gonna throw you on ignore now, way too much hard work, yes I am aware that won't stop another aggressive out pouring of your psyche, but ok, that's fine. Go for it :)