Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aren't enjoying GW2...

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

So I'm starting this thread to try to genuinely help folks who may not be having fun with GW2 have more fun.  Now before you think I believe that everyone has to like GW2...this is not the case.  I completely understand that some folks will just not like the game and never will...that's fine.  

But for myself, when I played TERA I was having a horrible experience with the questing, so I posted on the boards about it, and some posters recommended that I just ignore the questing and go out and kill mobs.  I did this, and I found that I was having MUCH more fun with the game.  So I'm hoping to do the same for some folks here that may not be enjoying GW2.

Anyway, the first thing you have to realize is that GW2 really lets you decide how to play it.  If you want to be lead around the game in a fairly linear fashion just going from heart to heart and doing your personal story, then you can do this.  But YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS.

There are so many different ways you can play this game, and I just want to list a few here.  If you aren't having fun, maybe just try switching the focus of your play, or mix and matching a few of these.

1.  WvW focused.  Not only just do WvW, but put your whole focus of play on WvW.  Want to do jumping puzzles?  Do the WvW ones for the blue prints and badges.  Want to do PvE?  Do it to get better abilities and gold to spend in WvW.  Sometimes different motivation can make things more fun, and when your trebuchet is the instrumental siege engine in taking out a huge keep...that's a good feeling.

2.  Crafting focused.  This is typically what I do.  I love increasing my crafting skills, and most of my exploration is focused on getting new ingredients for them.  I rarely even realize when I level, it's just auxiliary to my mission to become the best chef in Tyria lol :).

3.  Exploration focused.  GW2 has a LOT of stuff to explore.  And if you enjoy the jumping puzzles, you can have an amazing time.  Just go out and see things, don't restrain yourself to one or two zones, look for weird nooks and crannies...sometimes you'll find what you never expected!  GW2 is the only game since probably UO that I felt really excited to explore.

4.  PvP focused.  Try to come up with the ultimate PvP build for your class...experiment with new skills and traits and then crush your opponents on the battlefield.  PvP in GW2 is almost like a whole other game...separate advancement system, separate rewards.  Ironically, GW2 PvP is actually a decent break from regular GW2 if you get bored of it :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Nice positive post.

And, your avatar is SO 4cute!

SZ

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I can agree with crafting totally. I love just exploring and gathering! You don't notice that you are leveling. When you craft you gain excellent XP also which is a bonus!

I have about 113 hours played and I'm only level 46. But what is great is I have only explored about 26% of the map. I feel I'm right on track to what I wanted out of the game!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    [mod edit]

"Hey guys, here's a cool way to play this game that you may enjoy."

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO :(!!!!"

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Typically people who aren't having to much fun ARE doing all that stuff. WvW for me is pretty much a snooze fest and just more annoying then anything so I ditched that quick. The PvP itself can be decent fun for a while and its a nice break but I get bored of it much like PvE (essencially the exact same stuff just versing players). Crafting is quite entertaining for cooking... though a lot of the other ones are a bit on the dule side. Cooking is so amazingly done that it kind of sucks that many of the other professions feel so gimped and just disapointing to bother with. 

Its nice to post this stuff up but truthfully I think most people already ARE doing what you suggest. Its not really set up in a way to restrict you like other MMos feel so it does invoke exploration and the likes, I think the problem is a lot of people are playing around and generally are getting bored or not really liking it over-all. 

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by FourReelz
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Everything is pointless..

*wait what am i doing here?' ;p

How ever i believe OP is trying to help those who are interested in GW2 and not telling them how to play the game.

Bite Me

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Great post.

The key to GW2 is exploration, if you don't enjoy finding things on your own beacuse you are used to questhub system were exploration is pointless then yes I can understand if you have problem liking GW2.

If you find DE boring and bland well then you should also feel the same way with the quest hub systems in other MMOs which means you are tired of the whole themepark genre so it would be prudent to take a break or try other MMOs such EVE,Darkfall,Mortal Online and alike.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

Lol, someone loves a game, and people call him a "cheerleader" for the game?? And a fanboi??

really dont understand peoples logic on this forum......

Originally posted by vardar

Lol, someone loves a game, and people call him a "cheerleader" for the game?? And a fanboi??

Logic = If you don't hate everything, or at least approach everything with extreme skepticism, you are a terrible person lol :).

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    [mod edit]

To be honest i agree,it's like the OP and many others are trying to force people to look at GW2 like they do,anything else is wrong.

Oh, and i like the game,i was in full beta so i really have played the game alot over the las three months.Your post is basically telling people how to play,like your way is the right way lol.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by vardar

What is so wrong about being a cheerleader for a game? Actually, that is a very positive thing to do if you enjoy the game and want to help other people enjoy it too that otherwise wouldn't. As long as the cheerleader tries to be open-minded, not patronizing and respects a "no", I don't see any major problem. 

Originally posted by Sylvarii
    [mod edit]

To be honest i agree,it's like the OP and many others are trying to force people to look at GW2 like they do,anything else is wrong.

Oh, and i like the game,i was in full beta so i really have played the game alot over the las three months.Your post is basically telling people how to play,like your way is the right way lol.

My post expressly said that I understand that not everyone will like GW2...I was only writing it for people that maybe could enjoy the game but are stuck in the linear rut of questing.  I really don't know what more I could have done to avoid these kinds of responses.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Amjoco

This thread is pointless. Why do you give a shit one way or the other if people like GW2 or not. Let those want to play it play it and let those that dont like it play something else.

I dont know why you GW2 people feel the need to try and make a point for GW2 and try and get people playing it. Yopue starting to sound like a Political Party in the way your trying to "recruit" players.

Because post like yours are even more pointless. 

edit: This is the GW2 forum and right off he told everyone why he was starting it. If you dislike GW2 go start a thread about not liking GW2. He is trying to help those who may want a little guidance.

Wow you really got me there. Dont know if i will ever recover from this one...

The OP is once again chreeleading for GW2 for no other reason then to do so. He has expressed his love and opinions of GW2 enough now that these "points" hes trying to get across to others, have been rehashed a hundered times already. His post of nothing new.

The "I LOVE GW2 so much and this is why you should be playing" Posts are getting just as tired as those " I hate GW2 and this is why you shouldent be playing" Posts.

Do me a favor.

Scroll to the top of your browser window.  Look at the emblem that is right under where it says "MMORPG.com Discussion Forums."

What does it say?  Guild Wars 2 right?

What does that mean?  You're on the Guild Wars 2 Discussion forum.

DON'T COME TO A GAME FORUM AND COMPLAIN THAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GAME.

Your right. I shouldent have even posted in this forum. Not that i dont like GW2 or anything. lets nevermind that. Im getting tired of seeing all these " heres why you should be playing GW2" posts so i decided to say something.

My bad. Its my fault for reading forums in the first place. I should have know that i was goin to get flamed if i said something negative about GW2 or its community.

Silly me.

I think you read the discussion title and not the content. Read it more closely and then come back and bash on me. 

Once again, this is the GW2 forum. If you are paying attention to the main mmorpg.com page and you see too many gw2 dicussions for your liking, just create a bookmark to your favorite game and go there. 

I honestly don't see why you are so upset about a guy helping others unless the reason is you just didn't understand his post.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

This thread is pointless. Why do you give a shit one way or the other if people like GW2 or not. Let those want to play it play it and let those that dont like it play something else.

I dont know why you GW2 people feel the need to try and make a point for GW2 and try and get people playing it. Your starting to sound like a Political Party in the way your trying to "recruit" players.

No, thats not what his post is saying at all...

I also find it hilarious that people (not necessarily you) have been calling Creslin a fanboy.  Dude is generally one of the most honest and fair posters on MMORPG.com, and not the type that would be a 'fanboy'.  

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Good post. I think a secondary symptom of linear themeparkosis has been to rob people of the proficiency of playing a game without being led around by the nose every two seconds. This game can initially present itself in a confusing manner if you have been in the thrall of the quest NPCs for too long.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by teakbois
    [mod edit]

I also find it hilarious that people (not necessarily you) have been calling Creslin a fanboy.  Dude is generally one of the most honest and fair posters on MMORPG.com, and not the type that would be a 'fanboy'.  

For real, apparently I have committed the mortal sin of actually liking a game :).

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    [mod edit]

As much as i agree with OP and i encourage posts like these to help players i would say turn down a notch on ' most honest' part. lol

Bite Me

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I dont know why you GW2 people feel the need to try and make a point for GW2 and try and get people playing it. Your starting to sound like a Political Party in the way your trying to "recruit" players.

"Most honest and a fair" doesn't mean that that a poster is sufficiently such to avoid sharing certain, but necessarelly all, traits with the ideal notion of what a fanboy is. 

Maybe.  

I'm a fan of the game...no doubt.  But still, let's look at the situation here.

When I was playing TERA, some poster advice on a different way to play, really helped me enjoy the game.  I see a lot of folks here complain that GW2 is just like other themeparks, and I thought...hey maybe I could help them too!

And what do I get?  A trial.  Yep, put on trial for the terrible offense of liking a game for trying to help others enjoy it.  WTF has this place come to?

"Most honest and  fair" doesn't mean that  a poster is sufficiently such to avoid sharing certain, but necessarelly all, traits with the ideal notion of what a fanboy is. 

it does, because a fanboy isn't fair, he is too blinded by his love of the game to be fair.

that said, just for amusement:  Creslin vs. GW2 logicless haters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNeT2nzEgA

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

If you don't like GW2 thats fine, but ripping into someone for trying to discuss the different aspects of the game and how people can enjoy the game a little differently just is asinine. 

I don't like GW2 either... you can look at my post history and determine that. But I dont like it because it doesn't offer what I like out of games. Sieging, city building, mounted combat, territory control, ship building (indepth crafting), sailing (sandbox) etc or its business model, im still P2P all the way. But I did play TERA and I did what you did and just went out and killed killed killed and had fun because the combat was just that exhilarating and different from the tab borefest.  

So good post trying to help people that might be having trouble getting into GW2. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Maybe.  

When I was playing TERA, some poster advice on a different way to play, really helped me enjoy the game.  I see a lot of folks here complain that GW2 is just like other themeparks, and I thought...hey maybe I could help them too!

And what do I get?  A trial.  Yep, put on trial for the terrible offense of liking a game for trying to help others enjoy it.  WTF has this place come to?

You have seemed a bit slighted towards favoring just about anything in relation to this game Cres outside the gold v gem debate.

However...not sure what their problem is with this topic. Some helpful hints for those to try and enjoy the game. There are topics stating they aren't enjoying it so not sure why it is an issue to have a topic trying to provide those folks some insight.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FourReelzFourReelz Member Posts: 12

Look. Im not saying you cant like GW2 or trying to bash the OP in anyway. But these posts trying to defend GW2 play styles or how people got to 80 so fast or the liner way the world is set up or the ( Add reason for your dislike for GW2 here) ______. are just as, if not as bad as the hate threads.

All im saying is that for all the hate someone gets for there "i hate gw2 for x reason" post, a NEW "I LOVE GW2 for x reason and so should you" Post pops up and its getting tired and old evey fast. And thats what i pointed out in my very first post that got flamed for by the GW2 elite.

So say what you want its fine. But it doesent make what i said untrue.

"Most honest and  fair" doesn't mean that  a poster is sufficiently such to avoid sharing certain, but necessarelly all, traits with the ideal notion of what a fanboy is. 

it does, because a fanboy isn't fair, he is too blinded by his love of the game to be fair.

that said, just for amusement:  Creslin vs. GW2 logicless haters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNeT2nzEgA

ROFL!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Wait, there's crafting and PvP in this game? Whoa...

Good thing I stumbled into this thread!! image

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Maybe.  

You have seemed a bit slighted towards favoring just about anything in relation to this game Cres outside the gold v gem debate.

However...not sure what their problem is with this topic. Some helpful hints for those to try and enjoy the game. There are topics stating they aren't enjoying it so not sure why it is an issue to have a topic trying to provide those folks some insight.

Yup, I'm not gonna hide it, I love GW2...no doubt.  I don't think I'm completely blinded though, I have plenty of complaints about it...but the complaints aren't anywhere near to dealbreakers to me...just things that I think could be better.  Like the TIME post, I completely agree with nearly all their complaints.

I dunno man, you can I we had actual debates about things, and I could respect your opinion.  And pre-release, that's the way it generally was.  I may have disagreed with the criticisms and thought some of them were silly, but I still understood them.  Now though, it's just a circus.  This forum is ridiculous at this point.  It's like McCarthyism against fanbois and haters.

Look. Im not saying you cant like GW2 or trying to bash the OP in anyway. But these posts trying to defend GW2 play styles or how people got to 80 so fast or the liner way the world is set up or the ( Add reason for your dislike for GW2 here) ______. are just as, if not as bad as the hate threads.

All im saying is that for all the hate someone gets for there "i hate gw2 for x reason" post, a NEW "I LOVE GW2 for x reason and so should you" Post pops up and its getting tired and old evey fast. And thats what i pointed out in my very first post that got flamed for by the GW2 elite.

So say what you want its fine. But it doesent make what i said untrue.

yes, you are trying to bash the op.  Otherwise you wouldnt be posting in this thread.  He even gave context for why he was posting this, how he was helped by a similar post on another game.