Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: #1 in Ten EU Nations

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

NCSoft is reporting that Guild Wars 2 has achieved the number one spot for sales in ten European nations. GW2 is number one on the "all formats" charts in each country.

Guild Wars 2 now stands at number one in the official All Formats charts of the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, the Netherlands and Belgium – all the major territories within Europe.

Source: Press release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I think GW2 has sold upto 2 million copies easily by now. Just waiting for some official numbers. It is going to break all records for sales in MMO category on release.

Bite Me

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    The game is soldout for days in Paris FNACs (major videogames stores in France).
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Good news for ArenaNet !

Well deserved. Game is awesome!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i've heard its real popular in china as well.and considering it aint released over there yet.they must have shitloads of accounts by now lol.
  • vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by kevjards
    i've heard its real popular in china as well.and considering it aint released over there yet.they must have shitloads of accounts by now lol.

Look at the bright side; they are creating a lot of new jobs into ArenaNet customer support. Gotta be good for the economy! :D

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    I think GW2 has sold upto 2 million copies easily by now. Just waiting for some official numbers. It is going to break all records for sales in MMO category on release.

Not trying to pick a fight, but if they have only sold 2mil copies, then they didn't break Cata's day one sales record of 3.3 mil.

"the company has now announced that the newest expansion for World of Warcraft has broken all PC game sales records, selling 3.3 million copies in the first 24 hours. This broke the previous sales record of 2.8 million units sold in a day... which was held by Wrath of the Lich King."  source

That record was then beaten by D3 as I recall (not an MMO, I know) source

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Not supprised really,ArenaNet and GW have always been big in Europe.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    It's pretty much sold out everywhere in the UK which is impressive in itself, How's it doing in the US sales charts?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

cmon ANET

give the press release for launch day sales :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It seems that much of the hype was justified, Anet nailed it.  Of course you will always wonder how long NCSoft will keep the servers up....
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Not trying to pick a fight, but if they have only sold 2mil copies, then they didn't break Cata's day one sales record of 3.3 mil.

"the company has now announced that the newest expansion for World of Warcraft has broken all PC game sales records, selling 3.3 million copies in the first 24 hours. This broke the previous sales record of 2.8 million units sold in a day... which was held by Wrath of the Lich King."  source

That record was then beaten by D3 as I recall (not an MMO, I know) source

although i do like  blizzard= with their PR and Blizzcon hyped events i can see how easy everyone jumped at the hype banwagon for their games- unfortunately only 2 out of all their titles held a steady good review & a steady player base ...(wrath of the lich king, SC2) all others have bombed.

Anet on the other hand -with a silent launch and A+ reviews, and an abvious sold out franchise have done dam well! ats were it all counts on the long run.

• hpistihpisti Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Couple of guildies would like to increase their sales... but they're sold-out... first time I've ever seen this in an MMO...
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Meanwhile in Italy... no one knows anything about it - almost - 

Back on topic, good job Anet on your game and initial sales! Loving it. 

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by hpisti
    Couple of guildies would like to increase their sales... but they're sold-out... first time I've ever seen this in an MMO...

yup. they want to keep a smooth launch and game play experience. and weve seen from past mmos where all fails-so good for them!

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Very good!

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

This game seems to have developed a head of steam . Looking at the forums a few obvious trolls aside the reaction has been mostly possative . Also in WoW I'm seeing people mention it on the chat channels and various members of my guild are trying it and enjoying it or are intending to try it .

I think its success may start a trend towards buy to play games if so this will have a huge effect on the market and even a behemoth like WoW wont be immune to its effect . If its it achieves populairty in China as well the loses to  WoW could number in the millions . Of course given theres no subs some people may play it and sub to another game but many also will think I'm haveing as much fun in this game as my subscription based mmo so why pay a monthly fee anymore .

For me it will be Rift that I give up as my regular mmo  . I'll still play Lotro as I have a lifetime VIP status there . But two mmos are enough for me I have no to play a third . 

(nb i am playing WoW at the moment as I am working away from home and it plays on my laptop Rift does not)

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Is not ¨Sold-out¨ when u are not selling copies. Only the people with a pre-order or pre-purchase copy can play the game atm. Try to buy a digital copy from the official site, you cant. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How are say Belgium & Finland bigger territories than Russia, Italy & Poland

They didnt sell copies on release, they are not selling the game right now, and they already said the pre-order and pre-purchase numbers, it was around 1.2 mill or less, far behind the 1.7 mill of swtor (a game who also, didnt sell copies on day 1 or release)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I bought a copy after release so that's 1,200,001 sold at least.
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

Is not ¨Sold-out¨ when u are not selling copies. Only the people with a pre-order or pre-purchase copy can play the game atm. Try to buy a digital copy from the official site, you cant. 

cannot speak for Euro,

but if living in usa, amazon and gamestop are still selling the digital deluxe version - and some stores still carry it

for UK,

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5271146#5271146

GamesRocket had the digital deluxe version still available on 09/03 when i made this post

but now its sold out

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

They didnt sell copies on release, they are not selling the game right now, and they already said the pre-order and pre-purchase numbers, it was around 1.2 mill or less, far behind the 1.7 mill of swtor (a game who also, didnt sell copies on day 1 or release)

StarWars is a massive franchise though in comparison to GuildWars . They are selling the game in boxed form right now . I got mine a couple of days ago . I think downloads have been temporarily suspended I imagine to catch up with demand and create more servers . If anything I think unlike ToR which peaked quickly GW2 is going to have more of a snowball effect . The demand must be higher than NcSoft thought it would be .

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Nadia

cannot speak for Euro,

but if living in usa, amazon and gamestop are still selling the digital deluxe version - and some stores still carry it

for UK,

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5271146#5271146

GamesRocket had the digital deluxe version still available on 09/03 when i made this post

but now its sold out

Don't tell anyone, but I just ordered a CE from Gamestop. Hey, a guy never knows.......

Anyway, they showed 4 stores within easy driving distance (which is 2 hours or less for me) with them on the shelves.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Anyway, they showed 4 stores within easy driving distance (which is 2 hours or less for me) with them on the shelves.

i agree w you, GW2 is still fairly easy to get in USA -- either box or digital deluxe download

for UK tho -- i dont know of any retailers selling digital download anymore  (not saying they dont exist)

Originally posted by roo67

StarWars is a massive franchise though in comparison to GuildWars . They are selling the game in boxed form right now . I got mine a couple of days ago . I think downloads have been temporarily suspended I imagine to catch up with demand and create more servers . If anything I think unlike ToR which peaked quickly GW2 is going to have more of a snowball effect . The demand must be higher than NcSoft thought it would be .

The problem is not the higher demand, is the numbers of servers, i  mean, more servers = they need to hire more people, and the game is B2P not P2P. The population will drop after the 1st month, is already droping, and even worse with MoP incoming we will see soon servers ¨medium¨ and ¨low¨, i guess they are waiting for that so they dont have to open new servers just because all of them are ¨full¨.