Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by dreamer05

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

It doesn't cost you more money becouse you already own the game, why don't you try a diferent class? Maybe you just dont like the ones you tried. Sometimes you think you will like a class and you end up likeing another one.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, if you just want more skills all the time this is not really the game for  you, no. I am not so sure any MMO is since you usually are max level in 3 weeks in most modern games anyways today and then start on the gear threadmill.

Maybe Lineage 2 might be worth a look? 

GW2 is more about exploration and wandering around in the world than goals like getting more skills, levels and gear (even though you still want to get good gear of course).

But no game is for everyone, and if you dont enjoy yourself think a little why and then you either try to play in a different way or just play something else. Life is too short to be bored while you game.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

[quote] Originally posted by dreamer05 I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it.  [b]The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.[/quote]

The reward is going to know your class better. And oh yeah - fun! While people want gear over fun, I rather just want fun. Isn't it just annoying to loose a arena match, not becuse of lack of skills, but gear? I do.

Also makes it easier for ANet to balance the game.

I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?

I agree on the weapon skills. It's sad that you just cant exchange them. But you do know, that 5-9 are skills you can change right

I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either.

I had this problem with the Thief. I'm always a rogue in MMO's, but since the Thief is nothing like it, I got bored. Now I'm rolling with a Guardian while the mobs are hatin'.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.

Where's the grind? You are dissatisfied by the lack of gear-over-skills in sPvP, and yet you are bashing the grind in the game.

What grind?

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

[quote] Originally posted by dreamer05 I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it.  [b]The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.[/quote]

The reward is going to know your class better. And oh yeah - fun! While people want gear over fun, I rather just want fun. Isn't it just annoying to loose a arena match, not becuse of lack of skills, but gear? I do.

Also makes it easier for ANet to balance the game.

I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?

I agree on the weapon skills. It's sad that you just cant exchange them. But you do know, that 5-9 are skills you can change right

I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either.

I had this problem with the Thief. I'm always a rogue in MMO's, but since the Thief is nothing like it, I got bored. Now I'm rolling with a Guardian while the mobs are hatin'.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.

Where's the grind? You are dissatisfied by the lack of gear-over-skills in sPvP, and yet you are bashing the grind in the game.

What grind?

Grind in gaining levles when in fact those levels bring you very little reward.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Isn't it like that in any other game?

I dont feel myself very stronger in WoW from 73 to 74.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

While people want gear over fun, I rather just want fun. Isn't it just annoying to loose a arena match, not becuse of lack of skills, but gear? 

Yeah PvP is good in GW2 .. and now people can't use the gear excuse as to why they suck at it :)

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

To the OP...

I think only seeing the game up to level 9 is the major flaw here. You have to consider this; As you level up you are rewarded slot skills and eventually your elite skill at level 30. In fact I don't think you get your first slot skill until level 5(if I remember correct...it happened rather quickly for me). A lot of the slot skills are very interesting and fun to play with. The elementalists can summon weapons that any other player can pick up and use. Imagine spawning a fiery greatsword that someone could walk along and use to help you take down some boss. As a mesmer imagine having up to 3 clones of yourself and confusing the heck out of the enemy.

My suggestion to you is to get past level 9 as there is just far too much to see to not go furthur. Wait until you fight your first dragon, or until you find your first dynamic event that is so elaborate and over the top that you'll be begging to do it again, until you find a mini dungeon that's off the beaten path and involves Tomb Raider-like puzzles, deadly traps, and a boss that pays you in loot chests...LOADS of them!

I think you should just go back and look at the game with a fresh eye. Don't look at it as an MMO-job which is what a lot of games have become. "Be on by 8pm, have all of your pots and scrolls on hand, make sure your builds are in order, have all of your weapon and armor sets ready to switch for bosses X and Y." Look at it as more of an adventure, which is what RPG's were initially. GW2 has taken us back to the root of the RPG in MMO RPG. Back in the day when you'd spend 4 or mor hours constructing a dungeon in table-top DnD that you are POSITIVE will defeat your friends, only to have your one friend repel the entire undead army with a single attack.

As to your 'grind' it simply does not exist. No one is asking you to go out and kill mobs endlessly simply go do a few dynamic events or even go exploring. Kill 100 bunnies for christ sake and you'll get an achievement that will give you a lot of exp...yes many bunnies have fallen by my hands. You don't have to kill mobs or grind out anything to level. Even just gathering gives you rewarding exp; You could sneeze and gain exp. I think that anyone who is having trouble leveling are doing something seriously wrong, or they are missing the point of the game.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I wonder if you ever opened your character window and noticed that there are different weapons with different skillsets you can unlock additionaly to the support, healing skills and traits?

Also to say that the game doesn't "reward" about a game that is one of the most rewarding mmos ever created, sounds as if you are very missinformed or never really bothered to check all things in the game yet.

You are getting rewarded for:

- completing heart quests

- completing dynamic events

- completing areas (points of interest, vistas, waypoints)

- completing dailies

- gathering materials

- crafting

- doing dungeons (ok first at level 30)

- exploration

- doing skill challenges

- doing WvsWvsW

- doing sPvP (it rewards you with points btw you can use to buy pvp armor from the vendors)

As you can see there are more than enough rewards in the game cause it actually rewards any activity so I don't understand what kind of reward you expecting by saying "there are no rewards".

Anyway, whatever you might decide to do, I wish you all the best and lots of fun with.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Maybe video games arent for you?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

The way they did class skills is extremely boring

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

And I'm sure you saw a lot of the world at level 9.

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

Not to mention, what kind of theory is that? "Oh, you've only played 20 hours of the game?!?!?! Well then you certainly don't have a deep enough understanding of the game... /snip to cut out the white noise

It took you 20 hours to get to L9?

And if it did?  Isn't that what this GW2 'revolution' is about?  Exploring the world and experiencing the game?  It doesn't matter how long it took me.  I believe that's the point you were trying to make earlier.

No, it wasn't.

How did you explore and experience the game without gaining XP though? Everything gives it to you... there is really no way to avoid levelling in this game.

What did you do for 20 hours? Kill nothing? Engage in no events? But you spoke so knowledgably of the combat and rewards. What was this knowledge based on?

I am just asking is all... 20 hours and L9?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

Haha low activity?  Look at my years of membership and posting consistency.  It's exactly the same.  In fact look at all my old previous posts and see if there is any evidence that you can use to back up your claim.  So pathetic.  I beg you, get a life.

You failed to understand. Account age has nothing to do with activity.

I don't 'claim' anything.

But... so what? You played, you claim, to Level 9... and you claim to now be bored. Fine. It's your right to express that (for whatever reason), and it is my right to dismiss it. The cycle continues.

You made your own claim that my account was inactive until GW2 came about... /snip

I did try to look at you post history but all I honestly saw was the first two pages of reeking attitude and outright hostility so I didn't read too much.

I accept you are not a shill though, I honestly do. A shill would be less agressive.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The grind is very minimal in this game, by level 10 you're pretty much done the weapon skills unlocks and all you need to do is unlock your utility spells and add points into traits. I actually like how the weapon skills are done in this game, it gives a unique set of skills for each situation/playstyle- I don't worry about leveling in this game like most other MMOs. World vs world is pretty fun, I was in an 80+ player fight yesterday for a couple hours trying to defend forts and push back invaders and I only died twice (I play a mesmer).

If you're only level 9, you haven't gotten very far.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Yeah PvP is good in GW2 .. and now people can't use the gear excuse as to why they suck at it :)
    ^ this so much, I grew to hate gear based pvp.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

You are not missing anything.

You are just looking for a game with "carrot on a stick" to grind till the end of time.

GW2 was never meant for players like you that wants to grind and grind and grind to have more and more powerful rewards.

But fear not all the rest of the mmorpgs out there are what you're looking for so you've lots of options to chose from.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by wireyankee
    Honest review, and I tend to agree with much of what you said. I still think it's a good game, I'm just not wowed by it at all. The fact that it's "FREE" creates a lot of favorable reviews. If GW@ was subscription based I don't think it would be receiving the praise it does currently.

Bingo.  There is an obvious double standard with this game.  If something doesn't work or work as intended it really isn't game breaking because there is no monthly fee.  Not having to pay $15 a month seems to make people  more lenient and accepting of bugs/flaws and this is NOT the message we as consumers need to send.  Just my 2 CPs.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

<

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going. >   SNIP

I have never, ever understood this viewpoint.

The motivation and reason to keep going when involved in pure instanced/battleground pvp is surely just because the actual pvp is fun. Besides isn't working as part of a team and winning the match the "reward"?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

good for you leaving cause you would had a very hard time in pvp.

Look there is pandas hahaah coming so you can play with it.Moreover u will have pet battles just like pokemon.I think it deserves u completely

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

<

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going. >   SNIP

The motivation and reason to keep going when involved in pure instanced/battleground pvp is surely just because the actual pvp is fun. Besides isn't working as part of a team and winning the match the "reward"?

Shouldn't this logic be used everywhere then? why reward for DE's? heart events? killing mobs? exploring the entire map? daily, monthly or other achievements?  

Bite Me

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

I feel the same as Op.

Im lvl 18 now, and it start to get boring. Heart quests , events , always the same... I got almost all of my skills, and the ones that are not unlocked dont motivate me to grind another 60 levels. Yes its grinding, the heart quests are extremly boring. Well the events are a bit better, but in the end its just the same... kill boss mop, defend agains waves, escort nps.

W v W v W I cant play, couse when the zerg comes my fps goes down to 1-2, even on lowest settings (In PvE I have 30-40 fps on medium settings) .But even if I could, there is no motivation in killing players without reward. 

I think I will wait a half year, till they evolve the game more.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by LIOKI

I also find the game to be very repetitive. In the first 9 levels you can see what you will expect for the next 30. I haven't made it to 40 on any character yet but I assume it will be more of the same. I also thought I read somewhere that Anet wanted to promote exploration. Where is the exploration when every map has all the poi's and skill up challenges ect. laid out for you in a nice smorg? There are some hidden caves with jumping "puzzles" in them but no reward for effort made = pointless. I can't really comment on the wvwvw due to the fact that I can't sit for 4+ hours waiting on a que to get in.

I attempted to roll a few alts but came to the realization that if every class can fill all roles, what's the point of having more then one?

I can't understand how taking away features is innovative either, have you tried to duel anyone for fun? don't bother because you can't. Want to trade someone an item for some coin? you better trust them as there is no trade window and all is done via in game mail without a c.o.d feature.

You understand that games that have these features routinely have them exploited, right?   They use the escrow system which is far superior and scammer proof.    You must really have that item according to the servers.   They must really have that gold according to the servers.

No dupe exploits to wreck the economy.  No exploiting quick-closes to one-leg transactions.    No packet-hacked visuals on top of a junk item.  No packet-hacked descriptions on top of a junk item.    Just the actual goods.

As for duels...   You know, that's another routinely hacked and exploited feature.    I have yet to play a game with a dueling system where some no-lifer hasn't figured out how to cheat and pad his/her dueling record from either kill-trading or out-right exploits.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

Yeah.  It's a soft-sell concern trolling.   No biggie.   But it's amusing to see people falling for it and white-knighting her...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Shouldn't this logic be used everywhere then? why reward for DE's? heart events? killing mobs? exploring the entire map? daily, monthly or other achievements?  

Should all elements of gameplay be primarily about gameplay fun as opposed to a shiny grab? Er yes quite frankly.

There is also a major difference between instanced/e-sport/battleground pvp which is highly specific "end game"/stand alone content and hearts which are part of a specific progression path metric. You go into the world in an RPG game with the understanding that you are going to advance your character stats. You go into a pvp zone where it automatically bumps you to max level in order to have fun/compete in an e-sport like game.

You will also note that there are rewards for pvp, namely winning matches and winning tournaments. You didn't take part in UT matches in order to unlock a set of go faster super pants +4 for winning a match. You played it because it was fun fragging the crap out of the other players.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Should all elements of gameplay be primarily about gameplay fun as opposed to a shiny grab? Er yes quite frankly.

There is also a major difference between instanced/e-sport/battleground pvp which is highly specific "end game"/stand alone content and hearts which are part of a specific progression path metric. You go into the world in an RPG game with the understanding that you are going to advance your character stats. You go into a pvp zone where it automatically bumps you to max level in order to have fun/compete in an e-sport like game.

You will also note that there are rewards for pvp, namely winning matches and winning tournaments. You didn't take part in UT matches in order to unlock a set of go faster super pants +4 for winning a match. You played it because it was fun fragging the crap out of the other players.

I don't care about UT. I am discussing MMOS  and i will only talk in terms of how rewards work in MMO genre.

You can not just cherry pick one feature like PVP out of all other activities and say 'working as a team and winning is your reward'.

It holds true for other activities too like DE for example. And since everything in GW2 is team orientied shouldn't winning the encounter be reward enough? if yes don't single out PVP alone . By the way stats also matter in PVP, even though you are bumped to lvl 80, the stats of lvl 80 does make it easier for him say compared to level 30..yes not to the extent of other gear based MMOs but i wouldn't completely count it out of the PVP.

I am sure Anet is going to add rewards for PVP at some time however i completely disagree with the excuses to explain lack of rewards on release.

Bite Me

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

In general you can complain simply because you don't like the game or suggest what you want and claim that GW2 is something new and different.  But my point at the begining is that if I'm bored to tears at level 9 I shouldn't have to labor through to find things that make the game personally rewarding and fun.

So don't play it then?  Like I said no one cares but you, however, you chose not to respond to my post.  You seem to be seeking validation for your dislike of the game and surely you will get it as it's a popular game and not everyone will like it.

There was no point to your original post.  It was just complaining.  All you stated was that you didn't like the game after only having played a couple hours and provided no suggestions on what you wanted to see.   Just complaining.  Go play something you enjoy!

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I don't care about UT. I am discussing MMOS  and i will only talk in terms of how rewards work in MMO genre.

You can not just cherry pick one feature like PVP out of all other activities and say 'working as a team and winning is your reward'.

It holds true for other activities too like DE for example. And since everything in GW2 is team orientied shouldn't winning the encounter be reward enough? if yes don't single out PVP alone . By the way stats also matter in PVP, even though you are bumped to lvl 80, the stats of lvl 80 does make it easier for him say compared to level 30..yes not to the extent of other gear based MMOs but i wouldn't completely count it out of the PVP.

I am sure Anet is going to add rewards for PVP at some time however i completely disagree with the excuses to explain lack of rewards on release.

I have some skepticism about it needing rewards, if only for the fact WvWvW is always packed to overflowing it seems.  Does the game need to encourage people to play it even more?