Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh Gabe. (New Interview)

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/swtor-star-tour/

Not even going to say anything about it.

Enjoy.

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

They plan on releasing one more warzone.

Illum is scrapped perminately. They have nothing in the works for World pvp, but there thinking about ways to do it. 

The next set will have a 20% increase? I didn't quite follow this. 

Every company lays people off 3+ times in the frist year.

They plan on one day introducing bounty hunting, on planets however current rules say anyone attacking a player 5 lvls lower then them can be banned for greifing. 

Some guy to the responses want him fired asap.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Weretigar

They plan on releasing one more warzone.Illum is scrapped perminately. They have nothing in the works for World pvp, but there thinking about ways to do it. The next set will have a 20% increase? I didn't quite follow this. Every company lays people off 3+ times in the frist year.They plan on one day introducing bounty hunting, on planets however current rules say anyone attacking a player 5 lvls lower then them can be banned for greifing. Some guy to the responses want him fired asap.

On a positive note open world pvp has some planning.

However, banning people for using mechanics in game makes little sense. Sounds like a god complex of the devs in creating a world for the players but then creating rules against the nature of the game as an excuse to ban or troll players. Why not just add a mechanis that restricts it? It would make their game worse by restricting it but it would be better than banning people for conjured up reasons.

Or they can add a bolster system like 10-49 for open world across all contested maps.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Illum is scrapped perminately. They have nothing in the works for World pvp, but there thinking about ways to do it. 

They plan on one day introducing bounty hunting, on planets however current rules say anyone attacking a player 5 lvls lower then them can be banned for greifing. 

On a positive note open world pvp has some planning. However, banning people for using mechanics in game makes little sense. Sounds like a god complex of the devs in creating a world for the players but then creating rules against the nature of those rules as an excuse to ban or troll players. Why not just add a mechanis that restricts it? It would make their game worse by restricting it but it would be better than banning people for conjured up reasons. Or they can add a bolster system like 10-49 for open world across all contested maps.

It's because the way swtor lvl system is made somone 6 lvls under wouldn't have a fighting chance in killing them. It's like a lvl 30 toon on wow attacking a lvl 10. 

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh78Fge0OGY&lc=jzEjvYFDnambOOi2foqqTxIu5Yv7Sm-dKdRTHPXlgkg&feature=inbox

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    So basically by design they don't want open world pvp currently.

Even in WoW can allow for people to do that, and it brings high lvled players to help. Or people can log in to their alts.

Swtor is really going against the grain with pvp in their game. They should have a FFA server then. One pvp server that restricts griefing, and a FFA pvp server that allows it. And maybe even make it like illum an give exp per kill or exp for sharing kills, or exp for attacking another player. Ofc, the assumption is to not allow exploits so maybe have actual objectives as well, and people will be more focused on having fun rather than spending it on exploits.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    me thinks they shut down the wrong star wars game.....
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

:)

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

A very positive and upbeat interview.

I found the discussion of the future cost of wz under ftp interesting.

He spoke of the "revitilization of Illum" coming in January, and more rewards for pvp including gear upgrades. Very interesting.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    "January" eh? I'll be very surprised if EA allows the lid on the cash vacuum to stay open that long.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

A summary of a discussion that Gabe had with a group of folks rather than an interview but: 

- targeting a January timeframe (but not set in concrete);

- got the impact of gear wrong, they were surprised that a fully geared character was so much more powerful than an ungeared one (lack of testing!);

- nothing set in concrete about F2P, nothing decided, don't know what to charge for , reaching out to fans - can't do dates;

- got Illium wrong, something planned to redo it (alien invasion) (they have been talking about redoing Illium for months though0;

- stats don't correspond with what people say they want - suggested they don't know what to do - have been looking at LoL.

What struck me was the lack of any overarching strategy, no clear idea of what to do - indeed everything seems to be short term. 

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Incomparable

On a positive note open world pvp has some planning. However, banning people for using mechanics in game makes little sense. Sounds like a god complex of the devs in creating a world for the players but then creating rules against the nature of the game as an excuse to ban or troll players. Why not just add a mechanis that restricts it? It would make their game worse by restricting it but it would be better than banning people for conjured up reasons. Or they can add a bolster system like 10-49 for open world across all contested maps.

Why on earth did Bioware/EA make Gabe Amatangello Lead PVP Designer? HE HAS NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE OF ANY KIND. He's a fucking scriptwriter, for god's sake.

Originally posted by Ahnog

A very positive and upbeat interview.

I found the discussion of the future cost of wz under ftp interesting.

He spoke of the "revitilization of Illum" coming in January, and more rewards for pvp including gear upgrades. Very interesting.

Seriously? How much are you getting?

Originally posted by thamighty213
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

:)

Bingo!

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

This guy is the jar jar binks of developers lol. Clueless with a big mouth.

pax 2011 gabe: were gonna have 100vs100 

gabe "you will be amazed by ilum"

This guy coudlnt make a pbj with a gun to his head yet according to james ohlen they have the best pvp team lolz

Gabe has a promising career sharpening pencils not much else.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by gervaise1

A summary of a discussion that Gabe had with a group of folks rather than an interview but: 

- targeting a January timeframe (but not set in concrete);

- got the impact of gear wrong, they were surprised that a fully geared character was so much more powerful than an ungeared one (lack of testing!);

- nothing set in concrete about F2P, nothing decided, don't know what to charge for , reaching out to fans - can't do dates;

- got Illium wrong, something planned to redo it (alien invasion) (they have been talking about redoing Illium for months though0;

- stats don't correspond with what people say they want - suggested they don't know what to do - have been looking at LoL.

What struck me was the lack of any overarching strategy, no clear idea of what to do - indeed everything seems to be short term. 

Let  me help you out--ftp and updates every six weeks is the "overreaching strategy" atm.  They have a vision for the game based on their experience and fan feedback. The problem is they havn't really shared the vision yet.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka
    "January" eh? I'll be very surprised if EA allows the lid on the cash vacuum to stay open that long.

Yeah EA turned SWTOR into F2P just to shut it down 3 months later. Makes all the sense in the world.

*rolls eyes*

Bite Me

• alaska88alaska88 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Yeah EA turned SWTOR into F2P just to shut it down 3 months later. Makes all the sense in the world.

*rolls eyes*

Milk the cow before it dies! DO IT!

Originally posted by alaska88

*rolls eyes*

Milk the cow before it dies! DO IT!

I doubt 3 months is enough time to even milk anything with F2P conversion. That is why the post i quoted is absurd.

Bite Me

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

*rolls eyes*

Well they turned to FTP out of desperation. If the change doesn't bear fruit its not impossible that EA could just can the game as they've already stated they've made their money and the game is no longer a priority.

*rolls nose*      . . . . ouch.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Tardcore

*rolls eyes*

Well they turned to FTP out of desperation. If the change doesn't bear fruit its not impossible that EA could just can the game as they've already stated they've made their money and the game is no longer a priority.

If they have already made their money and it is not their priority, still...you are telling me that SWTOR would  bring them even lesser profit than say games like WAR and Daoc? again i doubt that considering SWTOR has  a very healthy population compared to these old titles.

*shows tardcore how to roll a nose*

Bite Me

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Thanks for sharing. I've been mildly curious about what SWTOR has in mind, still being a starwars fan in general. It's just a shame, such a shame :(
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Tardcore

*rolls eyes*

If they have already made their money and it is not their priority, still...you are telling me that SWTOR would  bring them even lesser profit than say games like WAR and Daoc? again i doubt that considering SWTOR has  a very healthy population compared to these old titles.

*shows tardcore how to roll a nose*

I'm not sure what to think with EA's handling of SWTOR to be honest, as they've aleady acted of of character and taken the game FTP which they didn't do with the other two MMOs. While thm canceling the game seems unlikely I'd be careful not to rule anything out as of yet.

*watches nose roll off desk, out the door, and down the stairs*     Oh bloody hell!!!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

There should have been a 20% gap (stats/skills/abilitys/armor/mods etc) between a full decked out lvl 50 character and a starting lvl 50 character, didn't really work out that way.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The game hasn't paid for itself. Source EA - who said that 1M long term subs "would make them a profit but nothing to write home about". And when they said it they were stressing that it was long term subs that were important not initial sales. And that probably ignored a chunk of what it cost to buy Bioware.

EA also said they needed 500k to break even - make a profit on a day to day basis. And they have had 500k subs so they have been covering their operating costs.

The problem will have been things like retention rates and new sales.

The reason they gave out a 500k to 1M sub number as at 31st July is probably because of the 6 month subscribers coming up for renewal (if only 20% of the 2.4M box sales opted for a 6 month sub then that will have been 480k). And based on the retention rate they were seeing they clearly expected many of them not to renew and the number of subs to plummet towards the 500k break even point.

And from there it is a short step to going below the 500k figure and an unprofitable subscription based game.

So new strategy needed. They could have considered simply reducing costs, laying off more staff etc. - but if the drop off in subs they were seeing was very steep that may not have worked. So they have opted to try a hybrid. Keep as many subscribers as possible trying to persuade them they are going to get as much whilst trying to get as much money from F2P (EA's stated assumption) and at the same time cutting back costs hard. After all it is F2P so you should be thankful for what you get (but please whisper because we want to keep our subbies as well).

They have a hope and a business aim. They have not however articulated a coherent business strategy about how they are going to achieve it. And as the game is supposed to be going F2P in c. 3 months they should be shouting it from the rooftops.

A F2P game will not be top of the list in most people's Christmas stockings. One of Zynga - and other company's - big problems is the cost of getting new players ....

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The reason swtor is going f2p and not say daoc,is this.

Ea is a poison brand
    They renamed a bunch of their studios bioware this and bioware that, as bioware is not a poison brand
    In fact it was thought of as a quality brand like say valve or blizzard, a guaranteed sale just by having bioware on the box (to counter act the negative connotations of seeing ea on the box)
    Ea can not afford for the bioware brand to become poisonous also, so they will do everything in their power to make swtor seem somewhat successful in the eyes of the general game playing public.
    If bioware does become a poison brand, they would have to buy up another company with a golden brand and slap their name all over their studios, much more expensive than pumping more cash into Swtor. (if there is such a brand available, don't think ea have the cash to buy blizzard, valve, arenanet or bethseda)

Of course they could just make good and innovative games instead, but ea don't roll like that.
  • Originally posted by Weretigar

what they were talking about for the 20% increase wasnt the next tier of gear.  they were talking about how they had orginally wanted a player that was fully decked out in pvp gear to only have a 20% difference in power from an equal lvl player entering pvp with no pvp gear and how it clearly didnt happen because players were getting face stomped.