Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe's video review is up.

YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I found this review to be interesting, so I thought that I'd post it in the review section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Just a heads up for those who find his videos entertaining or are on the fence and want an in depth video on game play and someone's opinion on it.

Note:  The video may contain profanity.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Finally, I have been waiting. :)

Heading there now then, thanks for the tip.

• FarzoFarzo Member Posts: 12

Never seen his videos before,  but he does it in an interesting way to be honest.

Warning: His final verdict might hit the trolls and bashers hard.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Its a really good review and a great video.

I haven't seen a lot of his stuff, but I have seen him before.  Saw his shit for Fable 3 and man was that a funny (and accurate) video.

10/10 is what this game deserves.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I like Joe and I never seen him give a score this high before, I watch his show regurlarly because he is rather fun and never afraid to bash a game he doesnt like no matter who made it or what game it is the sequel of.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    As someone who hasn't tried GW2 yet (I will) Sometimes I get the invasion of the body snatchers feel. People who were normal suddenly become pod people. If I try GW2, will I become a pod person too? Maybe I shouldn't go to sleep.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Probably the most bias review ever, he doesn't even mention the auction house or the many down for maintenace messages you get in game. Complete lack of security and non existent customer service. Absense of any real endgame. Those are some of the games biggest problems and he doesn't touch on any of them? The only big issue he does mention is the WvW ques and that's only because he would lose all credibilitty whatsoever if he didn't.

The game is worth $60 but is hardly the best thing since sliced bread and wouldn't be special if it wasn't B2P.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Probably the most bias review ever, he doesn't even mention the auction house or the many down for maintenace messages you get in game. Complete lack of security and non existent customer service. Absense of any real endgame. Those are some of the games biggest problems and he doesn't touch on any of them? The only big issue he does mention is the WvW ques and that's only because he would lose all credibilitty whatsoever if he didn't.

The game is worth $60 but is hardly the best thing since sliced bread and wouldn't be special if it wasn't B2P.

All of what you mentioned is a matter of opinion and not necessary in a core review.  He also mentions End Game in his review, you just missed it.  In addition, just because a game doesn't have traditional "raids" doesn't mean it doesn't have end game; MMOs have existed for much longer than games like WoW.  Furthermore, customer service is pretty good considering the game just launched and working on issues that online games are prone to during such.  

To appropriately rate it (customer service) we will have to wait a few months when the game is under normal operations.  Even WoW has had a reply time of 2-5 days for years after it launched, and I've seen responses as quick as a few hours to a few days with ANET even with all that's going on.  Also, the lack of a authenticator does not mean lack of security; it would be nice, but they are pretty on the ball with email authentication and locking accounts that have been compromised as of late.  Heck, people are complaining that accounts are being banned so quickly for unauthorized access.

Lastly, he did mention that there were other faults, and that Anet was actively working on fixing them.  These are simply issues with the game being online, and not indicative of the content available for the game or how a person will pick it up in a few weeks (when servers are more stable) and play thenceforth.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I won't argue with your first paragraph other than to say he did mention there are other problems and the vast majority of the ones you listed nearly ALL MMO's face either at launch at some other time in their life so it's not exactly any special by mentioning them.

Your last comment though is one I have read many times over since the launch of GW2 and to be quite honest it has to be hands down the worst.  THE ENTIRE REASON IT'S "Special" IS BECAUSE IT'S WORTH THE COST DUE TO THE B2P BUSINESS MODEL!  I can't really express enough how much Joe literally shoved that in your face during the review video.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The Trading Post is functioning pefectly fine now.

So get something new to complain about.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Probably the most bias review ever, really ?  he doesn't even mention the auction house he does, but he maybe doesn't say what you want to hear or the many down for maintenace messages you get in game and that isn't covered in the first week of a MMO launch problems ??. Complete lack of security elaborate why GW2 is worse than other games here ?? and non existent customer service. Thats for sure an exsaggeration that borders outright lie. Absense of any real endgame.A personal oppinion that really doesn't matter for the review, and not controversial as what GW2 has for endgame has been clear for a long long time  Those are some of the games biggest problems in your oppinion though and are any of them really big problems a week into a MMO launch ?and he doesn't touch on any of them?Maybe you should see the review again , it looks like he touch some of it , just not saying what you want to here The only big issue he does mention is the WvW ques Actual he is just on the server with biggest ques at all, and that's only because he would lose all credibilitty whatsoever if he didn't. If you where right in all your complains he would have lost credibility long before that.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Actually he does mention the absence of trading system in the "negative" part of the video, but good try anyway.

I think he does not mention server problems because all games that get this amount of people to buy it (so much that Anet has SUSPENDED selling the game due to massive demand) WILL have server problems, it is the unavoidable science of mathematics and plumbing.

The lack of security also has nothing to do with the game itself, plus they have added email authentication already, so if you get hacked it is your own damn fault at this point.

Can't say about the customer service, I have read both people complaining about it and people praising it as quite fast. It is weird there is no in game ticketing system though.

And as he said, none of the issues he mentions are stopping points.

I agree with his review.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Interesting, he gave SW:ToR a good review.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Best....review....ever. Not because he rated in favor of a game I thorougly enjoy, but because he's just so freakin awesome! And at the end of the review when he gave the verdict I instantly wanted to login and play!

Bravo Angry Joe, Bravo. He's a no BS kinda guy the fact that he rates it 10/10 gives me more resolve than I already had in my decision to play the game.

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

Angry Joe's review of GW2 is the best GW2 review ever. I don't think any other review could be more infroming and more fun to watch than this one.

Remembers me why exactly i love GW2 so much.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Interesting, he gave SW:ToR a good review.

I think the SWTOR reviewers get unfairly criticized for their reviews, which imho were mostly valid.

If the question is 'should I spend $x to buy the SWTOR box', then I'd have said '100% yes'.  The KOTOR series were loved by many, and most of those players would enjoy SWTOR for at least a month.  The storylines/planet designs/architecture were worth the box price to me, and most people seemed to agree.

If the question is 'should I pay $x a month to play SWTOR', then I'd have said 'lmao, no'.  The game had little longevity, the endgame was poor, and it seemed extremely expensive/difficult to add new content.

But how do you reflect that in a review, especially if (for population reasons) the reviewers didn't have the greatest view of the endgame...

I think for a gaming website, a review of 9x/100 for SWTOR is perfectly justified - if the player doesn't like the endgame, the majority can quit without feeling that they didn't get value for money.  (and it seems many players did exactly that).

To a degree the same is true of GW2... I don't know how much longevity the game has, or whether the servers will all break tomorrow... nor do the reviewers.  All they can say is "in my opinion it's worth the time & money to play it".

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Always like his reviews, he simply talks about what he enjoyed and didn't enjoy in a honest (and angry :p) way, I appreciate that.

+ he does put a lot of effort into an interesting and funny presentation.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Coolest review !!! So fun !!

Thnx for sharing!

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I love his reviews. He always goes into full detail while reviewing. 

Bite Me

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Its a big ass party
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    It's a good game but the experience can be random. If people try to level without dynamic events then it's not a fun way to play. I ended up doing several areas without any DE's and forced to do hearts, exploring, resource gathering, vistas completion, and then still have to go to another starter area.

So that's a major problem for me since doing the Hearts ate boring and take too long to get exp that way.

I guess angry Joe got a VIP treatment when playing, and was leveled quickly with groups or dynamic events, because without other players or any dynamic events the GW2 experience changes. It was also around launch so maybe it was more of a server problem that DEs did not occur.

So his review of complimenting hearts as something alternative, or even fun is not the same experience for me since it was mostly what I had to do.

If there is any confirmation on servers allowing more DEs now than before, then I will give the game another go, cause without DE's it really is a grind, and feels very slow with each level taking a while.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    It's a good game but the experience can be random. If people try to level without dynamic events then it's not a fun way to play. I ended up doing several areas without any DE's and forced to do hearts, exploring, resource gathering, vistas completion, and then still have to go to another starter area.

So that's a major problem for me since doing the Hearts ate boring and take too long to get exp that way.

I guess angry Joe got a VIP treatment when playing, and was leveled quickly with groups or dynamic events, because without other players or any dynamic events the GW2 experience changes. It was also around launch so maybe it was more of a server problem that DEs did not occur.

So his review of complimenting hearts as something alternative, or even fun is not the same experience for me since it was mostly what I had to do.

If there is any confirmation on servers allowing more DEs now than before, then I will give the game another go, cause without DE's it really is a grind, and feels very slow with each level taking a while.

So why do avoid DEs then? They literally come to YOU...

I've played on Light, Medium and Heavy servers so I know for a fact there is plenty of DEs regardless of how many players are around.

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    SMH... i stopped watching after he said combat is skill based allowing you to kill monsters many levels higher than you.... wonder if he even played the game lol.
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Few things

First:

Whoever says that there are no fetch quests are going to go to hell because they are lying. There are many hearts where fetching is a part of it. Like find trackers and return em to asuras. Yes you can fight mobs but you'll be finding yourself doing that out of laziness.

Second:

No camping for spawns huh? I swear I did a quest yesterday where I was going around looking for old weapons to put into a crate as part of a heart and guess what, people were camping for spawns. Idk if this was a bug on the game's part but no two people could take the same spawn. 

Third:

I find myself killing A LOT more of  x-named mob to finish a heart than a regular WoW quest. 

Ok I couldn't watch the whole thing cause it was 30 minutes long but these are a few of the things that popped immidiately.

I'll admit that there are somethings in this game that make it stand out and things it does VERY differently than standard MMOs. This game is good. But people shouldn't go lying about things in it. 

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    I love this guy. He reviewed Blood Bowl once, and that was funny as hell

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Couple things to take away from this:

-He's not an avid MMO player. He's essentially a console player who tried MMOs but never got into them because he had to pay $15/month for constant content updates.

-He likes the "casual" gameplay of GW2

-He has no real experience with MMOs to be making broad sweeping generalizations like he does in this video.

Quite frankly PayToPlay subscription model is still going strong, and will for quite some time as long as people demand quality over quantity.

Wait 6months from now to judge GW2, but their cash-shop is steadily becoming a sore issue at hand.

This is what happens when a game reviewer with a moderate amount of popularity gets swept up in what we call the "Honey Moon" period for an MMO before you actually know what's going on.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.