Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extremely Amusing - Fans of the Combat System

Comments

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by tazarconan
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

PvE content from 1-80 is zerg fest, period

Let me correct that for you:

PvE content from 1-80 can feel like a zerg fest if you choose to follow the zerg.

You're statement is about your choice and not a fact.

By zerg the op means apparently he can crush the mobs without need to think of special strategies to defeat them.

What u mean exactly its his choise to crash it? xD Doesnt make any sense.

The zerg is the big group of players all doing the same DE at the same time. Itll grow more scarce with time

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

OP. I think you need to sit down and consider that you arguement is flawed.

The gaming industry has (you may have noticed) created genres, you stated a few in your OP, FPS, MMORPG, Platofrm.. I could go on. 

Now when someone does a review of a game or talks about a game, they use comparisons, these comparisons only really mean something when compared with games of the same are very similar genre. I could state that skill involved in playing an old school, 3 lives and its game over platform game as being way harder and skill based than lets say, call of duty MW. But what is my point here? that a game created in a different time for a different set of people is dare I say it....different?

So this brings me to GW2 - which is a MMORPG. As far as MMORPG's go there are only a couple which require more skill to master than GW2 and thousands that do not. So it this case, stating that GW2 requires skill to master and play well when compared to games of the SAME genre is a correct statement. 

OP you are the one going off topic when comparing this game to action rpgs like darksouls etc, if your going to compare across genres then nothing is going to live up to something else is it? the the graphics in GW2 are not the best ive ever seen but they are in the top 2% of mmorpgs graphics imo. but maybe only top 20% of games overall. Its called context and your posts lack it in the extreme.

PS: feel free to quote and highlight this post and comment that all my points are dumb, also feel free to not explain y (thats troll behaviour btw)

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by xpiher

Darkfall has better combat. I want to see MMORPGs use 1st/3rd person action/FPS combat systems. However, GW2 is better than nearly every tab target game i've played due to skill synergy, the dodge mechanic, and positioning being important due to being able to manually dodging some projectiles and AoE attacks.

Of course, you won't see this in PvE until endgame because, lets face it, AI is stupid. 

Please god know.  Hated combat in DF and I hate that oldish Elder Scrolls mouse click combat so much.  Its so boring not having actual combat skills to use that take account character animations.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Macecard

OP. I think you need to sit down and consider that you arguement is flawed.

The gaming industry has (you may have noticed) created genres, you stated a few in your OP, FPS, MMORPG, Platofrm.. I could go on. 

Now when someone does a review of a game or talks about a game, they use comparisons, these comparisons only really mean something when compared with games of the same are very similar genre. I could state that skill involved in playing an old school, 3 lives and its game over platform game as being way harder and skill based than lets say, call of duty MW. But what is my point here? that a game created in a different time for a different set of people is dare I say it....different?

So this brings me to GW2 - which is a MMORPG. As far as MMORPG's go there are only a couple which require more skill to master than GW2 and thousands that do not. So it this case, stating that GW2 requires skill to master and play well when compared to games of the SAME genre is a correct statement. 

OP you are the one going off topic when comparing this game to action rpgs like darksouls etc, if your going to compare across genres then nothing is going to live up to something else is it? the the graphics in GW2 are not the best ive ever seen but they are in the top 2% of mmorpgs graphics imo. but maybe only top 20% of games overall. Its called context and your posts lack it in the extreme.

PS: feel free to quote and highlight this post and comment that all my points are dumb, also feel free to not explain y (thats troll behaviour btw)

No he will tell you to get in Diamond league in SC2 or maybe some Dota 2 rating while at the same time saying any question regarding if he won anything in GW2 sPvP is dumb rethoric.

And then he will tell you terrain doesn't matter even in the best way to defeat the first boss in Caedecus Manor is using the fountain (aka terrain) to block the attacks.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

For a moment i thought someone would compare an RTS with an MMO here. then i thought: no one would do that, why would he? and moved on. Then i came back on an otherwise sad and busy day, to have a good laugh of some "i am no troll" troll that was still talking crap about "skillz" he lacks. and it partly made my day.

on a serious sidenote, ignoring the OP: what i like most tactically for now is the combo-system. surprisingly most randoms you group with havent even heard of it and are just wondering why they are bubbled after charging through my light-field. maybe a tutorial 'd be a good idea for that important part of the game.

• alaska88alaska88 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Dysphorick

- I don't hate or love GW2, so I am neither a troll or fanboy. I have however, been waiting for GW2 since it was announced.

The combat system can be said to be something new and a break from the stale tab targetting 12345 etc. Ultimately however, that's not true.

I find it amusing especially when someone who has utterly no clue whatsoever as to what real skill is posts something like this

Originally posted by chryses

I like reading people's opinions but you lost me when you said combat is 'push tab' and hit.  If you do that and not much else you die fast, a lot. 

The combat has some of the best fluid  motion, real time feel to it.  I get a buzz winning a fight I really shouldn't win, based on my skill use, dodging and terrain use. 

If you don't like it that's cool but I love the game because its not 'stand here and push tab and skillbar'

Skill in games can be classified within 3 main genres, Action/RPG, FPS and RTS:

• Reaction (All 3)
    • Precision via mouse aiming and timing (FPS)
    • Micromanagement (RTS or healers in the case of MMORPG raiding)
    • Strategy (Planning PvP builds, planning choke points and flank positions in FPS etc. All 3)

If you want to talk about real skill in an action oriented play (in the theme of RPG), check out Dark Souls. I'm sure many have heard of it, that is real difficulty and skill.

PvE content from 1-80 is zerg fest, period. Anything else is just mindlessly running around an object or the y axis, i.e kiting. Terrain my @ss.  Real terrain usage is the likes of DotA with line of sight (fog of war), flanking, drop attacks in Dark Souls etc.  TERA is an MMORPG that has some elements of aiming and terrain there. NOT GW2.

Ultimately this game is good, but nothing fantastic as some people have been praising to the high heavens of skill based combat. Which is the point of this post. There's nothing 'revolutionary' about it nor skill based.

Combat is nothing fantastic, neither is there real skill. Stupid scrubby fanboys.

EDIT: By scrubby meaning you need to learn the definition of real skill and not follow blindly. If your opinion is that this game has actual skill such as body coordination in tightrope walking, Starcraft 2 micromanagement and intellectual strategy. Prove it.

so what you are saying is:

GW2 pvp is decided by nothing but dodging in the right moment while hammering 1-7 ?

Thx for that important information.

Your free to leave now and play some Terra Zerker because thats where skill decides the outcome ...

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

- I don't hate or love GW2, so I am neither a troll or fanboy. I have however, been waiting for GW2 since it was announced.

The combat system can be said to be something new and a break from the stale tab targetting 12345 etc. Ultimately however, that's not true.

I find it amusing especially when someone who has utterly no clue whatsoever as to what real skill is posts something like this

I like reading people's opinions but you lost me when you said combat is 'push tab' and hit.  If you do that and not much else you die fast, a lot. 

The combat has some of the best fluid  motion, real time feel to it.  I get a buzz winning a fight I really shouldn't win, based on my skill use, dodging and terrain use. 

If you don't like it that's cool but I love the game because its not 'stand here and push tab and skillbar'

• Reaction (All 3)
    • Strategy (Planning PvP builds, planning choke points and flank positions in FPS etc. All 3)

If you want to talk about real skill in an action oriented play (in the theme of RPG), check out Dark Souls. I'm sure many have heard of it, that is real difficulty and skill.

PvE content from 1-80 is zerg fest, period. Anything else is just mindlessly running around an object or the y axis, i.e kiting. Terrain my @ss.  Real terrain usage is the likes of DotA with line of sight (fog of war), flanking, drop attacks in Dark Souls etc.  TERA is an MMORPG that has some elements of aiming and terrain there. NOT GW2.

Ultimately this game is good, but nothing fantastic as some people have been praising to the high heavens of skill based combat. Which is the point of this post. There's nothing 'revolutionary' about it nor skill based.

Combat is nothing fantastic, neither is there real skill. Stupid scrubby fanboys.

EDIT: By scrubby meaning you need to learn the definition of real skill and not follow blindly. If your opinion is that this game has actual skill such as body coordination in tightrope walking, Starcraft 2 micromanagement and intellectual strategy. Prove it.

Ok!

First of all you don't seem to understand the Genres to even start with cause:

- FPS is a subgenre of the main genre called ACTION GAMES

- A Action/RPG is a hybrid subgenre of the two main genres RPG and ACTION games.

- A RTS is one out of 7 subgenres of the main genre called STRATEGY GAMES

The skill suggested by you doesn't apply in only these aspects and it also applies in different ways or depending on the game not at all at parts.

You also don't seem to understand what micromanagement really is cause a healer in a mmo has nothing to do with mircomanagement, since the healer focuses on major details in a fight and in a very small group in most cases, instead of focusing on minor details a micromanagement actually comes from.

Other than that alone the fact that you saying that in Terra you have to aim but in GW2 not, it shows that you barely have payed attention or tested both games in excessively.

As a warrior in terra you just need to be in range and you will hit everything around you.

Most if not all melee mobs AI is THAT dumb, that after you aimed once (did that with my mystic, rinse and repeat) and they came in front of you all you need to do is stay put till they start charging a attack and use your backflip (mystic) skill, then repeat the same skills till you have to use the backflip again till the mob is dead.

In GW2 you can aim and lock a enemy (autoaiming) OR tab target (which I barely used at all) OR even click target.

The enemies are dodging, using their abilities in smarter ways and you can die quite easy if you don't utilize your skills properly.

Of course its easy to call everything a zergfest and "easy" when you obviously run and hide behind people letting them take the heat for you.

The main problem many have with the game is that they are too busy utilizing their own skills and not realizing that all the others are doing the same thing which leads to success (mostly in dungeons).

Instead you do as if everyone is only autoattacking with their first skill till a mob is dead and are successfull with it.

Well you might be successful with it again a few mobs in the starting area but even then you have to dodge, move and pay attention to survive, otherwise you are dead quite fast.

Some of the people that are totally used to the holy trinity and even miss its system/style in GW2, await to see the same effects taking place (I'm a warrior and I'm gonna go tank, hey guardian keep me alive) so when they don't see this happening they immediately call everything a zergfest and skillless of course.

Anyway, if you like the game ok, if not then also ok but please don't try to tell others what to think or believe when you don't even have a understanding about certain systems yourself.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

So am i allowed to enjoy the combat or not? I NEED ANSWERS!

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

I have nothing to add Your Honor

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by xpiher

Darkfall has better combat. I want to see MMORPGs use 1st/3rd person action/FPS combat systems. However, GW2 is better than nearly every tab target game i've played due to skill synergy, the dodge mechanic, and positioning being important due to being able to manually dodging some projectiles and AoE attacks.

Of course, you won't see this in PvE until endgame because, lets face it, AI is stupid. 

Does GW2 also have friendly fire like Darkfall and collision detection between players?

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Any combat with Dodge and being able to move out of the way on spells is a step forward in my opinion, unlike most MMOs where positioning doesn't matter in GW2 it does make a difference. Games like Dark Souls, Tera, and GW2 all put an emphasis on postioning/dodging and that makes me a fan of their combat.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

• Reaction (All 3)

yes and now go to explorable dungeons and you will be punished soo hard

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by vee41

I like it. It's fun and there is depth to keep me entertained. When comparing to your usual MMO combat it's heads and shoulders above others. TERA is there too, but the game did not work for me in any other way.

Of course there are games there that require more 'skill' or whatever. But in MMO genre I've yet to find as fun and engaging combat system as GW2.

Should I even bother tagging this post with big IT'S MY OPINION - tag? :)

I'm glad you like the combat in GW2 but I disagree.  To me this system is nothing more than a very basic tab to next target and kill.  The only difference I see is there are only 5 combat abilities (not counting the utility abilities) vice several bars full of them.  I get very bored with combat in GW2 and find no challenge to it, but that's just me.  Do I die, sure do.  Do I die a lot, no.  I usually die when I get bored and purposely get myself into situations that I know I will probably die in in an attempt to create excitement.  

Just my opinion though.  There are going to be people like you that do enjoy combat here and feel it has depth, but to me it is shallow. 

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Latronus

I like it. It's fun and there is depth to keep me entertained. When comparing to your usual MMO combat it's heads and shoulders above others. TERA is there too, but the game did not work for me in any other way.

Of course there are games there that require more 'skill' or whatever. But in MMO genre I've yet to find as fun and engaging combat system as GW2.

I'm glad you like the combat in GW2 but I disagree.  To me this system is nothing more than a very basic tab to next target and kill.  The only difference I see is there are only 5 combat abilities (not counting the utility abilities) vice several bars full of them.  I get very bored with combat in GW2 and find no challenge to it, but that's just me.  Do I die, sure do.  Do I die a lot, no.  I usually die when I get bored and purposely get myself into situations that I know I will probably die in in an attempt to create excitement.  

Just my opinion though.  There are going to be people like you that do enjoy combat here and feel it has depth, but to me it is shallow. 

Didn't even make it past lvl 7 hmm

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

PvE content from 1-80 is zerg fest, period

Let me correct that for you:

PvE content from 1-80 can feel like a zerg fest if you choose to follow the zerg.

You're statement is about your choice and not a fact.

This.  I totally avoid the zerg.  

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by meari

Actually I have.  I have 3 in the 20s.  I have an altaholic issue in this game for some reason.  

Actually I have.  I have 3 in the 20s.  I have an altaholic issue in this game for some reason.  

lol yeah right. Just stop pretending, it's clear you didn't make it past lvl 7.

Hey look at that, another guy that didn't make it past lvl 7

Hey look at that, another one of those basement dwelling virgins without a life and an intelllectual capacity below a troll.

Hmm, still haven't caught on why I said lvl 7 eh? Keep at it and I might start to think you never even played the game.

Originally posted by Kenze
    big time video game skillz...  i bet you can flip 2 burgers at the same time too!

That was funny.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

I'm a lazy gamer so I like the 'tab' targetting and pressing #1- 9 etc.

I miss that my character can't run forward while shooting in the opposite direction.

SWG got that right.

Hit autorun + your macro and watch TV while fighting.

Good times.

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

I'm a lazy gamer so I like the 'tab' targetting and pressing #1- 9 etc.

I miss that my character can't run forward while shooting in the opposite direction.

SWG got that right.

Hit autorun + your macro and watch TV while fighting.

Good times.

Oh I so agree, good thing you can't do that in GW2 either.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

• Reaction (All 3)

well said OP

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    What I find more amusing is the OPs inability to carry on a meaningful debate of his points without being overly agressive and and insulting. Just shows how immature he or she is and loses all credit to his original point.

Vivik-Cerberus

The only difference I see is there are only 5 combat abilities (not counting the utility abilities) 

Reading comprehension - 0/10.

To all the other angry fanboys. No, the main point isn't about the skills required in other gaming genres. I'm talking in specific to Action RPGs. It does nothing special nor revolutionary. It is neither remotely like an Action FPS as some have claimed, nor is it very far from tab targetting.

Aiming and dodging is minimalistic. If you have difficulties aiming your AoEs, I'm not sure if you can even play tennis (or any sports where aiming is required) because your hand eye coordination is abysmal.

lol.   You're the only 'angry' one at this point.  

Originally posted by cura

I wonder, why do you put so much effort and time into this thread, Dysphorick?

Because I want to like this game. But the combat is boring and a turn off. Was wondering if any can give a counterclaim. Sadly, most are just rabid fanboys with a distinct lack of education.

You can start trying to like the game by going out there and buying a copy. You did't even recognize a counter claim when you saw one. I have no time for baiters who can't even research about the game they're trying to flame, bashers had so much more class back in the days, now they don't even put in the effort.

This discussion has been closed.