Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Let me introduce you to World of Tanks. It may or may not be your style of game but its popularity and playerbase world wide cant be denied and its free to play.

Forget major games released F2P and look at the major ones moving to free to play after learning they could not survive as subscription based. Or are you just pretending at this point to not understand reality?

world of tanks is an MMORPG?  So games that fail or games that are passed their prime go to f2p to try to get some extra money, most of the games retain the sub model anyway.  But its silly to suggest that these games failed because of the sub model (with the possible exception of DCUO because of the console market)

So you want to exclude a game that has millions of people playing because it might not fit what you want MMORPG to be? Way to try and dodge reality. The fact is the sub model is not the wave of the future. Deny it all you want, it just makes you look uninformed.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by teakbois

Let me introduce you to World of Tanks. It may or may not be your style of game but its popularity and playerbase world wide cant be denied and its free to play.

Forget major games released F2P and look at the major ones moving to free to play after learning they could not survive as subscription based. Or are you just pretending at this point to not understand reality?

world of tanks is an MMORPG?  So games that fail or games that are passed their prime go to f2p to try to get some extra money, most of the games retain the sub model anyway.  But its silly to suggest that these games failed because of the sub model (with the possible exception of DCUO because of the console market)

So you want to exclude a game that has millions of people playing because it might not fit what you want MMORPG to be? Way to try and dodge reality. The fact is the sub model is not the wave of the future. Deny it all you want, it just makes you look uninformed.

I don't see strictly F2P or B2P games becoming the norm, and I don't see subscriptions dying out. I see Freemium being the way most games go. Play for free with limited options which can be overcome with small purchases in an itemshop (more slots, bigger carry limit, etc) or sub for everything.

*edit: wish I could type correctly tonight....

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    One of my biggest complaints still so far is how difficult they make it to group up with your friends.  It's easy to hearts and what not but the personal quests basically have to be done all solo, and out of all things I hate soloing the most.  Personal quests are different and even though you can join their instance quests sometimes it's really hard to track and you have to be in the exact same zone as them.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Its not a MMORPG though.  You are the one dodging reality by bringing up an off genre game to try to prove your point.  What next, League of Legends?  Farmville?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I found the OP to be very nice about her dislike. i also however found the Pitchforks and torches from those who Disagree really distastful. Its almost like your saying "you dont like Pizza, Off with her head". Way to show maturity guys. The rest that were nice and replied with some dignity, Thanks your a credit to the genre.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Ive gotten to level 25 in this game. I got suckered by a friend to spend the $60 to get the game for early access and now I regret it. This game reminds me of rift and warhammer. So far from what I have seen, you have a story quest and then you do all the randomly generated quests over and over again. I think I may be done with MMOs altogether at this point. This game bores the hell out of me. I did, however, enjoy the crafting in this game. Thats probably the only positive thing I have at this point.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by dreamer05
    One of my biggest complaints still so far is how difficult they make it to group up with your friends.  It's easy to hearts and what not but the personal quests basically have to be done all solo, and out of all things I hate soloing the most.  Personal quests are different and even though you can join their instance quests sometimes it's really hard to track and you have to be in the exact same zone as them.

Well the Personal Story stuff was designed more specifically to be just that, personal. Everyone experiences different stories depending ont he choices they made at creation, and the choices they make throughout the story. The bringing friends in thing is just an option if you need help or just want them to come along.

You shouldnt need to be in the same zone as them though. Ive been partied with my brother and in different zones and I still get the prompt to join his instance.

Originally posted by donjuanagain
    Ive gotten to level 25 in this game. I got suckered by a friend to spend the $60 to get the game for early access and now I regret it. This game reminds me of rift and warhammer. So far from what I have seen, you have a story quest and then you do all the randomly generated quests over and over again. I think I may be done with MMOs altogether at this point. This game bores the hell out of me. I did, however, enjoy the crafting in this game. Thats probably the only positive thing I have at this point.

/facepalm

1st. Theyre not randomly generated. Yes some are, but the majority of them require either a) performing certain actions in the area, such as killing enough of a certain type of enemy b) interacting with objects int he environment c) talking with NPCs to trigger them. A lot of people overlook C. You know when youre running around and NPCs start shoting at you to come to them, or that they need help, etc. TALK TO THEM. Its a Dynamic Event trigger, not the usual pointless NPC gibberish.

Warhammer - Same exact PQs in the same exact place and completely static in every way. They do not change unless you make them change. PQs also have no impact whatsoever on ANYTHING besides that PQ. What you do in 1, has no impact on others. Failing or winning a PQ does not alter what you can access in the area.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

I also find the game to be very repetitive. In the first 9 levels you can see what you will expect for the next 30. I haven't made it to 40 on any character yet but I assume it will be more of the same. I also thought I read somewhere that Anet wanted to promote exploration. Where is the exploration when every map has all the poi's and skill up challenges ect. laid out for you in a nice smorg? There are some hidden caves with jumping "puzzles" in them but no reward for effort made = pointless. I can't really comment on the wvwvw due to the fact that I can't sit for 4+ hours waiting on a que to get in.

I attempted to roll a few alts but came to the realization that if every class can fill all roles, what's the point of having more then one?

I can't understand how taking away features is innovative either, have you tried to duel anyone for fun? don't bother because you can't. Want to trade someone an item for some coin? you better trust them as there is no trade window and all is done via in game mail without a c.o.d feature.

Originally posted by LIOKI

I also find the game to be very repetitive. In the first 9 levels you can see what you will expect for the next 30. I haven't made it to 40 on any character yet but I assume it will be more of the same. I also thought I read somewhere that Anet wanted to promote exploration. Where is the exploration when every map has all the poi's and skill up challenges ect. laid out for you in a nice smorg? There are some hidden caves with jumping "puzzles" in them but no reward for effort made = pointless. I can't really comment on the wvwvw due to the fact that I can't sit for 4+ hours waiting on a que to get in.

I attempted to roll a few alts but came to the realization that if every class can fill all roles, what's the point of having more then one?

I can't understand how taking away features is innovative either, have you tried to duel anyone for fun? don't bother because you can't. Want to trade someone an item for some coin? you better trust them as there is no trade window and all is done via in game mail without a c.o.d feature.

The points marked ont he maps are only part of it. Actually TRY exploring instead of just travelling from point A to point B. Theres a lot of hidden stuf, not just the jumping puzzles. They, as well as those puzzles do offer rewards like chests, rich ore nodes, gardens/farms, etc. So really not sure how you came to the conclusion there is no reward. Youre only being led by the hand if you let it happen. Think for yourself instead of following the points and youll find lots of cool and rewarding things.

Ive said it many times, and Ill say it again. If the WvWvW queues are such a huge issue, get off the highest pop servers. Out of the 4 servers ive played on, I have only had to queue on 1 of them.

Yes each class can fill each role, but they do it very differently. Your comment is like saying whats the point of classes in any game. Take WoW for example. A rogue can dps, so why play a ranger, or mage? They should just make 1 class, since theyre all DPS. See how that works?

The player to player trading isnt there for 1 main reason. Theyre trying to build a GAME wide economy. The trading post isnt just server wide, but is linked across every server. The only reason I see to not simply put your stuff up for sale so others can go buy it at a fair price is because youre trying to scam someone and sell it for more than its worth. Otherwise just post it, and that person can go buy it.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Traits were the one thing I had left I really wanted to investigate.  I am huge on class customization and you guys who spoke of the traits definitely helped keep me motivated to play a bit more.

In general you can complain simply because you don't like the game or suggest what you want and claim that GW2 is something new and different.  But my point at the begining is that if I'm bored to tears at level 9 I shouldn't have to labor through to find things that make the game personally rewarding and fun.

I am definitely going to give the traits a look.  I am thankful for those of you who offered polite suggestions and encouragement rather than outright childishly deny anything that could ever be said negative about GW2.

Just curious, but what class are you playing?  I'm sure we could help out with your investigations.

I have always been a healer and played healer classes so I've got a water ele.  But I've had more fun with the mesmer in staff skillset.

Well, as long as you willing to expand some to support you'll do fine.

I'll admit that I don't think Elementalists are the best at support.  Healing Rain can be awesome, but they don't have as many abilities as you might like.  Guardians are perhaps the best at this.  But you wouldn't want to be pure healing anyhow, as people take a lot less damage in GW2 compared to Trinity MMOs (a lot of the damage is to be avoided in GW2).

However, there are some interesting options, none-the-less.  Though branching out to some crowd control is advisable (as well as just regular damage.  A big thing to remember about the Elementalist, all weapon skills recharge individual even ones you can't see.  So if you switch to Air your water skills will continue to recharge and all of your air skills will be available.  So there's some huge opportunity for combining some of the best options from multiple elements.

If you like doing some switching there are several things that can work well with this.

15 points into the Water Trait Line you'll heal people nearby when you attune to water.  This encourages switching out of water and later switching back -- which is good anyway if you like support, as a lot of good water abilities have cooldowns longer than 10 seconds.  By then, at 10 points in, you can also be curing a condition on yourself and allies when switching back -- a lot of conditions are pretty nasty, so getting rid of them is a good thing.  Those 15 points aren't a bad basis to start with.

You could potentially go further and go into an Aura build -- 30 in Water for Auras applied to allies, 10 in Air for Auras granting Fury (20% crit) and Switness for 10 seconds (stacks in duration).  The Staff has Magnetic Aura (reflect projectiles, earth) at a 30 second cooldown, or you could go dagger/focus for a shocking/fire shield auras (stuns attackers and makes burning on nearby enemies) -- that's a 25 and 40 second cooldown respectively.  An interesting thing to note about burning is that it stacks in duration, but it uses the best damage that's been applied, so if someone else is doing good burning damage, you can help extend how long it sticks around.  Worth mentioning because if you go 20 into fire, you make a Fire Aura everytime you activate a Signet.  So 20 fire/10 Air/30 Water (10 more points) and a couple signets and you can regularly keep up the +20% crit and 33% faster movement buffs.  Though 10 more into Arcane would let you pick an aura to put up whenever you revive an ally (that's more situational).  I'm not sure if 10 into Earth would grant protection (33% less damage taken for 3 seconds) to all allies, as I am not high enough to test this.  The other stuff has been tested by others and definitely works though.

Another option is going a bit more Arcane.  15 points into arcane lets you put up a 5 second buff on allies whenever you switch attunements (fire = might, regeneration = water, swiftness = air, protection = earth).  That's pretty awesome.  There are some cool things further in arcane regarding dodging and the like (such as ways to get endurance to dodge more and an effect at the end of each dodge based on your attunement -- water has cleansing wave, heal + condition cure).

To be clear all this stuff largely just affects nearby allies.  In a dungeon this requires a little coordination.  Outside of a dungeon you'll have to do most of the legwork regarding movement.  But I'd definitely look at your weapon skills on all elements for things that would help out.  Especially ones that cause conditions like weakness, blindness, etc.  Elementalists as a general rule don't have a lot of buffs (as indicated above, traits provide a way around that), but you can pick up the slack by instead imposing a number of conditions on enemies.  All the builds up there should leave plenty of free time for you to do other things as well, which is good.

Edit:  I'm just level 37, so even I can't try out most of this stuff yet.  For even the basic aura build, you need to be level 60 (50 trait points, and the ability to get grandmaster traits).  That's enough for 30 in water, 10 in air, and 10 anywhere you want.  So that's pretty much level 70, I think, before you can keep the Swiftness and Fury buff up consistently (which would also give you some leeway to use your auras more tactically).  Probably the neatest thing about Fury is that Elementalists, as best I know, have the only build that can keep it up all the time on others.  Ok, there's another neat thing, a lot of traits and weapon mods have things that activate on crits and a 20% bump is massive.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Bijou

can't adjust to just be given exploration and adventure as my goal.

Yes, this is the problem and you're not alone. Nowadays people play MMOs for powerful rewards instead of just having fun, which is sad, but this is not the players' fault. I blame the developers who make MMOs that are about getting "the best of the best" items. Unfortunately, most people got used to this lame system and if we get an MMO that offers something different like GW2, it will never be good enough for some players. Games should be played for fun, not for OP rewards. (No offence to anyone)!

I totally agree with you, 100%. I've never understood the appeal of games that have to incentivise you to play them. 

Originally posted by Rayshe

I found the OP to be very nice about her dislike. i also however found the Pitchforks and torches from those who Disagree really distastful. Its almost like your saying "you dont like Pizza, Off with her head". Way to show maturity guys. The rest that were nice and replied with some dignity, Thanks your a credit to the genre.

Thank you so much!

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

It was actually kinda slow for me at the beginning also. I pushed thru and got very interested in the teens, in the 20's things got quite fun and in the 30's what little sensation of grindiness I had went away immediately and the levels just started zooming by.

Originally posted by Aori

Meh lets face it, if it was a P2P game it would sink as fast if not faster than SWTOR.

As for the people saying the P2P model is outdated, it is because no one can provide the service and quality that that goes with it.

Amen, on all acounts.  I like this game so far but it doesn't stand up to others or my standards for such a long developed MMO that would be P2P.  I would never mind paying $15 a month but the quality has to match up.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

The way they did class skills is extremely boring

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

And I'm sure you saw a lot of the world at level 9.

owned.....bigtime...

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    It's unfortunate so many are trolling you here OP.  These types of people exist on both sides and are probably interchangable for which "side" they are going for, so essentially just the same people.  As far as weapon skills go, I had this same feeling.  Couple ways to improve this that I'm sure have been mentioned.  You have your traits and slot skills and also your weapon swap to give a bit of variety.  Also choosing your mainhand/offhand combination if you choose to.  I'd suggest trying to make it harder for yourself, maybe pull multiples etc until maybe the challenge of it gives you interest if you feel a lot of monotony.  Other than that you can run a few different chars as weapon skills vary depending on class.  If it still seems like drudgery, shrug, not too much you can do about it after that.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Aori

Meh lets face it, if it was a P2P game it would sink as fast if not faster than SWTOR.

As for the people saying the P2P model is outdated, it is because no one can provide the service and quality that that goes with it.

True..

@OP yeah i got bored of this pretty fast as well i did manage to get my guy to lvl 30 but at that point i was utterly bored of the heart quests and so called dynamic events... and the PVP queues for WvWvW are just stupid when i want to play.. I also was lucky and got access to Planetside 2 beta and that is just so much more fun to play.. so I have not even started up GW2 since i got access to that... plus I got a few other games that of course are not mmorpgs but provide more fun.. like war of the roses.

I guess GW2 just aint for me.. no loss really i picked it up pretty cheap :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by oubers

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

[mod edit]

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

I seriously find it hilarious how people talk about this game if it was sub it would be less popular... (despite there being no way it would be sub as Arena Net didn't even do that for #1 and probably never even talked about it for #2). This game has an insane amount of content compared to pretty much every sub game ever released. Hell it has more content than games that have been out for years.

Personally I feel like I robbed arena net.. how can so much only cost me 60$??!?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by Vesavius

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

The OP is just another of the long chain of low activity old accounts that we have seen necroed in order to sling shit at the wall about this game, full of contradicting negative 'personal opinion', while claiming to have previously 'been a fan'. Take it as it appears is my advice and be aware of why people post. It isn't always just fans wanting to chat.

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Even if I put any faith in it all, I would still disregard the opinion of anyone who has only given the game the briefest of looks before claiming any kind of boredom. I personally would consider that to be the users issue and not the game's.

GW2 isn't for everyone, no game is, and it won't suit a lot of folk's tastes. I am not offended by that. The launch has been a mess, and I am not offended by people talking about that either. Can you guess what I AM offended about though?

Haha low activity?  Look at my years of membership and posting consistency.  It's exactly the same.  In fact look at all my old previous posts and see if there is any evidence that you can use to back up your claim.  So pathetic.  I beg you, get a life.

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

Even if I accept that this is all legit... What 'rewards' was he/ she (because I put no faith in the truth of the owner of the account) expecting by level 9? A gold plated hand job? What does he/ she know about the classes at that point? How long does it even take to get to 9 in this game?

Haha low activity?  Look at my years of membership and posting consistency.  It's exactly the same.  In fact look at all my old previous posts and see if there is any evidence that you can use to back up your claim.  So pathetic.  I beg you, get a life.

You failed to understand. Account age has nothing to do with activity.

I don't 'claim' anything.

But... so what? You played, you claim, to Level 9... and you claim to now be bored. Fine. It's your right to express that (for whatever reason), and it is my right to dismiss it. The cycle continues.

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

Not to mention, what kind of theory is that? "Oh, you've only played 20 hours of the game?!?!?! Well then you certainly don't have a deep enough understanding of the game... /snip to cut out the white noise

It took you 20 hours to get to L9?

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

You failed to understand. Account age has nothing to do with activity.

I don't 'claim' anything.

But... so what? You played, you claim, to Level 9... and you claim to now be bored. Fine. It's your right to express that (for whatever reason), and it is my right to dismiss it. The cycle continues.

You made your own claim that my account was inactive until GW2 came about.  You are completely wrong and looking at my history can prove that, don't dissuade yourself now and back down.  I am in fact a huge fan of the original and now trying to sort out my feelings on the sequal.  Stop lying yourself, it's fanbois like you who ruin your own game by pushing people on the fence (me), farther and farther away with your inability to process the fact that your game isn't perfect.

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

owned.....bigtime...

Not to mention, what kind of theory is that? "Oh, you've only played 20 hours of the game?!?!?! Well then you certainly don't have a deep enough understanding of the game... /snip to cut out the white noise

It took you 20 hours to get to L9?

And if it did?  Isn't that what this GW2 'revolution' is about?  Exploring the world and experiencing the game?  It doesn't matter how long it took me.  I believe that's the point you were trying to make earlier.