Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New video card is freezing games

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I have gotten this same response with my AMD card and the solution ended up being using old drivers, and then once the newer drivers came out, using those drivers. The issue was specific to the Unreal Engine. They eventually got it fixed, or AMD got their stuff fixed. I ended up just not playing the game it was so frustrating in the meantime though.

How long ago was this, and what card was it?  If you buy a card of a new architecture right after it launches, then you should expect to have some driver problems early on.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by lizardbones I have gotten this same response with my AMD card and the solution ended up being using old drivers, and then once the newer drivers came out, using those drivers. The issue was specific to the Unreal Engine. They eventually got it fixed, or AMD got their stuff fixed. I ended up just not playing the game it was so frustrating in the meantime though.  
    How long ago was this, and what card was it?  If you buy a card of a new architecture right after it launches, then you should expect to have some driver problems early on.

This was awhile back, when DC Universe was in beta. The card is an ATI (not AMD) 5770.

It was specific to the Unreal Engine, which was used in DCU. Going back to the really old drivers fixed the issue. There was some information on the Unreal site, but I never found out if the problem was ATI's drivers, or the Unreal software. There was no information on Sony's site for DCU. Eventually it resolved itself, but by then I wasn't playing the game or messing around with the dev kit.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Lawlie
    You've uninstalled the old video drivers, haven't you?  When switching from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa, you need to make sure that the old drivers are gone.  It's sometimes recommended that you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling them to make sure that the old drivers are completely gone.

I deleted the old nvidia driver by going into control panel / devices / hardware then uninstalling it before installing the new one

So i downloaded driver sweeper and its detected 3 nvidia items,

Nvidia - chipset

Nvidia- Display

Nvidia- PhysX

Should i remove those? says some of them are in windowssystem32
    vcod1510.dll  theres a bunch of them...

just trying to be extra careful, dont want to delete system32 or something, because ive done that before.. lol

There's your problem.  You never uninstalled the old video drivers.  Device Manager doesn't know much about video drivers, so you'll need to handle them yourself.  Go to Control Panel, then Programs and Features.  The Nvidia video drivers should be somewhere on the list, though I don't know off hand what they're called.  I haven't used an Nvidia card in a while, but it's likely that the Nvidia software would know how to uninstall everything that needs to be uninstalled.  

My recommendation would be to uninstall both the Catalyst 12.8 that you just installed, and also the Nvidia video drivers.  After that, run Driver Sweeper to make sure they're gone.  Then do a clean install of Catalyst 12.8.

Okay i did everything except remove the nvidia chipset, nvidia PhysX and format  and its STILL freezing, ive been at this for almost 9hours!

what kind of issue is this, is this definately a driver issue? is the video card is faulty? what if its not getting enough power from the psu?

omg i want to cry right now

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Okay i did everything  except format my computer and its STILL freezing, ive been at this for almost 9hours!

How do i find the old drivers for this video card to try? i looked on the website but couldnt find any of the older ones

And what kind of issue is this, is this definately a driver issue? is the video card is faulty? what if its not getting enough power from the psu?

omg i want to cry right now

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx you can try Catalyst 12.2 onwards. I would do a fresh installation of windows and if that doesn't work there might be something wrong with your graphics card or your powersupply isn't working right.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

what kind of issue is this, is this definately a driver issue? is the video card is faulty? what if its not getting enough power from the psu?omg i want to cry right now

Could be any of the three.

Format + Reinstall tells for 100% certain it's not a driver issue.
    Since your computer was working before, and your not trying to shoehorn a massive video card in there, I would say it's more likely the video card is just faulty rather than your power supply (although that is a large assumption - and I wouldn't recommend against upgrading that power supply just out of principle anyway). That, and RMA is free, just costs a bit of time and hassle, and if your next video card does the exact same thing, then the only thing left is the power supply and old hardware.

I've also seen some other odd/seemingly unrelated things cause similar problems:

Remove the card and reseat it, and make sure the video card is screwed into the case - I've seen them be loose/not inserted all the way and cause problems.

Unplug every power cable and hard drive cable, and replug them all back in, making sure they are all tight - especially if you've been playing with extension cables in there, easy to have accidently pulled something else loose.

Make sure there is nothing stray inside the computer - no extra screws rattling around or cables that shouldn't be in there. I've seen more than one computer go haywire because a screw got stuck underneath the motherboard and shorted out something to the case, or a power supply plugged back into itself via a chain of plugs and adapters.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Custom PC builders can be hit or miss on the build you get.  They DO take advantage of non-computer savy buyers.

IBUY and CYBERPOWER are notorious for starting ususpecting buyers off with a garbage PSU (and typically over kill for gaming CPU paired with a barely gaming capable GPU)...

On top of that if something goes wrong...well it really goes wrong.  Usually involves a call to tech support where their first and only solution is to have you box up your new toy that porbably took nearly a month to build and ship and send it back, possibly for another 2-3 week RMA fix on whatevers wrong, and the chance that the return wont solve the issue.  Ive know people who cant speak high enough about these builders and then people who have spent months (exhausting their 30 day refund window in the process) shipping their rig back and forth.

There are a few really good builders out there, im not in the advertising business but i can tell you they are not ibuypower and cyberpower.

I would opt for a refund if your within the timeframe to do so.  Its going to cost you to ship it back though.

On a non serious note.  I clicked quiz's link to that power supply and couldnt beleive the manufactuers response to a complaint on it:

Cons: This PSU is JUNK. I have had it for 2 months 1 day, and from day one it would over heat. The PSU just quit working today for no apparent reason from a Cold Boot. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Manufacturer Response:

We are sorry for the problem happened and we do reposible for all XION Brand products to customers. Pls contact us at 909 5982600 or visit www.xionusa.com to solve the problem or swape youa new one by our RMA process.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

I doubt it is a problem on your end. I have been having the exact same problem (and only with GW2) for days now.  I've spent many hours trying to fix it, and have given up for now.  Hopefully a patch or newer driver will be released that will fix it.  If it makes you feel better, you aren't alone. There are a lot of other posts talking about the issue...for instance:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/54373-guild-wars-2-crashes-quite-frequently/

Lot of different video card setups are having the problem- setups well above the required specs, and that work 4.0 with every other game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by rguilbert

I doubt it is a problem on your end. I have been having the exact same problem (and only with GW2) for days now.  I've spent many hours trying to fix it, and have given up for now.  Hopefully a patch or newer driver will be released that will fix it.  If it makes you feel better, you aren't alone. There are a lot of other posts talking about the issue...for instance:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/54373-guild-wars-2-crashes-quite-frequently/

Lot of different video card setups are having the problem- setups well above the required specs, and that work 4.0 with every other game.

Well, in almost all cases like this are there 3 possible issues:

1. Drivers.

2. not enough power.

3. Heat.

Be a little careful and dont always assume the drivers are the bandit, check the heat and see so your PSU can handle the power as well.

And, yes. Both Nvidia and ATI needs to release their new drivers ASAP, some users of certain cards have some issues right now.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by redman875

Custom PC builders can be hit or miss on the build you get.  They DO take advantage of non-computer savy buyers.

IBUY and CYBERPOWER are notorious for starting ususpecting buyers off with a garbage PSU (and typically over kill for gaming CPU paired with a barely gaming capable GPU)...

They let you pick whether you want a cheap junk power supply, or will pay more for something good.  If you choose cheap junk, then don't complain that it ends up being cheap junk.

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

Thanks for all the great responses everyone, i ended up just taking the card back and getting my money back.

I'm just going to save up the money and buy a new pc, this ones almost 4years old so its about time for a new one i think..