Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am SICK and TIRED of the "more difficult" crowd

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Elikal

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

But but we are sick and tired of "oh this is too hard make it face roll easy" whiners.

So you have problems, and can't play anything that requires average reflexes or requires a slightly longer attention span (not sure which just saying if you couldn't handle TSW or GW2's cpmbat the problem IS you) Stop with the self important whining. there are games out you can go faceroll your way to victory pls stop trying to make sure all games are faceroll easy with no challenge.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Dumbed down games give no challenge and hence don't require skill to play in that case they are no longer qualified as a game. Just pretty pictures on the screen you are active in. Dargons Lair is that way --->
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

We need servers with varying difficulty levels for the first month , then shut down the ones that lack populations.

Kinda like this , but instead of speed you have levels. Bring on Ludicrous level of difficulty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygE01sOhzz0

I kinda like Plaid.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Who has 45 minutes to play a game? Umm.......... almost everyone who plays games. If you never have 45 minutes time to play a game, games might not be for you as your life is clearly too busy.

Read carefully. It is about WASTING 45 min for nothing. We are talking about progression game here, not LOL. I do play in 1-2 hours session .. but i will never just spend 45 min on ONE fight that has a high chance of failure.

Read mine carefully and include all of it in the quote.

You are clearly a "gamer" (term used loosely) who was brought into gaming through extreme casual gaming such as facebook and mobile app gaming. Therefore you expect to be rewarded for everything you do and to never have risk or failure in anything you do. Anyone who has that outlook has an extreme misunderstanding on what gaming is and needs to read a lot of the psychology behind what makes gaming enjoyable to the human mind.

There is extreme enjoyment in narrowly escaping defeat in a tough 30-45 minute fight. The fact that failure is a real option is what makes it so exciting and fun. If there was no risk and therefore "no possible waste of time by losing" then beating it wouldn't be the least bit exciting or enjoyable.

You are the type of player who wants the game to constantly flash and say good job as it hands you reward after reward for doing easy pointless and unchallenging things like planting crops on facebook and having your achievements announced to the world.

We all get this about you from your posts which is the same reason why they are 100% irrelevant when it comes to actual gaming.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Who has 45 minutes to play a game? Umm.......... almost everyone who plays games. If you never have 45 minutes time to play a game, games might not be for you as your life is clearly too busy.

Read carefully. It is about WASTING 45 min for nothing. We are talking about progression game here, not LOL. I do play in 1-2 hours session .. but i will never just spend 45 min on ONE fight that has a high chance of failure.

Read mine carefully and include all of it in the quote.

You are clearly a "gamer" (term used loosely) who was brought into gaming through extreme casual gaming such as facebook and mobile app gaming. Therefore you expect to be rewarded for everything you do and to never have risk or failure in anything you do. Anyone who has that outlook has an extreme misunderstanding on what gaming is and needs to read a lot of the psychology behind what makes gaming enjoyable to the human mind.

There is extreme enjoyment in narrowly escaping defeat in a tough 30-45 minute fight. The fact that failure is a real option is what makes it so exciting and fun. If there was no risk and therefore "no possible waste of time by losing" then beating it wouldn't be the least bit exciting or enjoyable.

You are the type of player who wants the game to constantly flash and say good job as it hands you reward after reward for doing easy pointless and unchallenging things like planting crops on facebook and having your achievements announced to the world.

We all get this about you from your posts which is the same reason why they are 100% irrelevant when it comes to actual gaming.

There are places for easymode Blizzard-type game kids. Millions of them in fact.

Narius just doesn't get that a bunch of people aren't really fans of that kind of gameplay. Its what he enjoys therefore everyone and everything else is, quite simply, WRONG. 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Eli. Can I call you Eli?

Ok, good.

Eli, here's how it is. The devs know you. All of them. They feed off of your constant forum emotion (mostly the rage). So, because they know you, they intentionally do this stuff just to get a rise out of you. They have to eat too, you know.

YES! I know it! Ever since I was little, all the damn humans have nothing better to do than make life of others miserable and painful!

But seriously... I just loathe this game attitude brought into RPGs by action and esports mentality. And worse, people who weren't even BORN when I started playing computer games having the guts to berate me how to play! The audacity!

If you see a smoke cloud: it was me, exploding in anger.

Different styles for different folks and moods. For me, most MMO's are mind-numbingly simplistic in play. No real strategy or tactics involved. Where they can sometimes be difficult is in execution and working the interface to input the correct commands in the correct timing and the correct sequence (e.g. following the choreography). You see this sometimes in Boss fights... e.g. Jump to the Left, Now Waggle your butt, now jump to the Right, Now click your heals together 3 times. No strategy/tactics but alot of rote memorization and keyboard execution....feels a bit more like Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero then an RPG. That's certainly a form of difficulty but not one that's very satisfying to me personaly, as a game player. I vastly prefer something more akin to Chess....where execution of the moves involves no difficulty but the decision of which move to make can be extremely complex. Haven't really seen much of that in MMO's.

Closest I've experienced is WWII Online. Depending upon the mechanics/pace certain FPS games can be pretty deep is to the choice of tactics/strategy....really much more so then keyboard skills...even though they often get labeled as "twitch" games wheras most MMO's do not. YMMV.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by free2play

Content has no depth anymore. It's either I-Win or I-Lose in 12 seconds. I miss the 45 minute Kimogilla fight that ate more stims than he was worth.

45 min fight? That is just not good game design. If you die, it is 45 min wasted. Who has that kind of time to play a GAME.

10 min fight is already long. 5 min is about right.

I am glad no dev is insane enough for 45 min fights again. Plus, LONG != challenging.

I'm guessing a PBEM Chess match would drive you absolutely apoplectic then?

In most of the gaming I do these days (Turn Based Strategy titles) it typicaly takes me 2-4 hours to do a TURN......and yes I sometimes lose those games.  Fun is relative to the audience/individual.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    troll post

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2
    Originally posted by free2play

Content has no depth anymore. It's either I-Win or I-Lose in 12 seconds. I miss the 45 minute Kimogilla fight that ate more stims than he was worth.

45 min fight? That is just not good game design. If you die, it is 45 min wasted. Who has that kind of time to play a GAME.

10 min fight is already long. 5 min is about right.

I am glad no dev is insane enough for 45 min fights again. Plus, LONG != challenging.

I'm guessing a PBEM Chess match would drive you absolutely apoplectic then?

In most of the gaming I do these days (Turn Based Strategy titles) it typicaly takes me 2-4 hours to do a TURN......and yes I sometimes lose those games.  Fun is relative to the audience/individual.

PBeM .. of course not. That is too slow. But again, it is about the TIME i spent on the game. If a PBeM chess game only cost me 1 min per turn, i don't see a problem.

2-4 hour for a turn, and then wait for the results? Count me out. Of course fun is relative. I am just saying my fun better be on my time table. There is a reason I don't play PBeM game.

• KrystalmythKrystalmyth Member Posts: 12

This thread can't be legitimate.

You have a personal problem. A lack of skill. A lack of desire to acquire skill. You desire a lighter challenge.

You want to affect millions, because of your personal problem. 

I hope you understand this. The selfishness of it. A game is given a challenge level, a bar to surpass. It's not the only game available to you. There are others. Many, in the genre that do, cater to you. Yet you're upset when a rare exception appears that raises the challenge bar and due to your inability to be a better player, a more tolerant or adaptable human being, you blame everything else BUT yourself as a result. 

You blame the community, the "hardcore" (which is a term based on people who play a lot, casual players can be SKILLED too~), and the developers who are inherently game designers (famous for creating games of skill throughout history) instead of your own personal flaws.

Have no mistake. They are flaws. A challenge is issued to you, you can not conquer for one reason or the other. This is an issue that you possess alone, since I play with so many people who are facing these challenges daily. Everywhere I go I see people doing content without issue. I run instances daily without being on some coordinate talk like Teamspeak or Ventrilo. We meet up, play, adapt to the challenges when we fail. Then we succeed. We're rewarded.

So how is your inability to rise to a challenge, adapt to difficulty, or reluctance to improve somehow a community, genre, or even anyone elses issue but your own?

Why are you trying to evade personal accountability for your own problems?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820

Most players, commentators and gaming journalists agree that MMO’s have become easier. I can understand those who think this might be better for MMO’s, but do not agree with them. But it has happened, video games as a genre have become easier, MMO’s are no exception.

I can understand the OP’s concern that his MMO is not tamped with though. I have seen MMO companies responding too much to player complaints, I am sure we all have. Players do not know what is best for the game. The designers should listen to what players say, but tinker only after a lot of play testing. The majority of player suggestions lead to the MMO becoming unbalanced, so players should watch what they wish for.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Tridian

Umm challenging games are fun. Why out the challenge?

Games that are TOO difficult are not fun.

Case in point, inferno difficulty in D3 when it was first released. People die again, again, again and again. Everyone was fed up. Blizz nerf the difficulty and the game was a lot better.

Another example. Sunwell. Most (like 98%) just gave up and not even try.

D3 is a terrible option to use for arguing a point about an MMO. Especially when concerning a difficulty level as it has options regarding that.

D3 is being listed on this site. Its play style is very close to a MMO like WOW. Many WOW and other MMO players played D3. WOW also have difficulty level options for raids ... so i don't see a problem using D3 as an example.

Diablo 3 being listed on this site has nothing to do with what type of game it is. It's also nothing close to an MMO like WoW. I mean seriously would you consider Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Magicka or any other hack and slash just add required online play and an auction house an MMO? No, no rational person would.

Of course let's not stop at throwing rational out the window.

I'll agree with one thing "Games that are too difficult are not fun." on the flip side games that are too easy are boring as hell. I would rather they started off at too difficult and ever so slowly worked there way down, then stopped at still very hard but able to be completed.

LOL at D3 the poster boy for MMO difficulty.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Easy games: World of Warcraft, Chefville, Farmville, The Sims

Hard games: EvE Online

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Higher difficulty is a great thing, if the game is created in such a way, that it motivates people to team up to overcome hard encounters.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Hahahah after lvl 16 unplayable?:)  Maybe you should l2p a bit more and go to a diffrent zone before entering the 15-25 (or whatever it is zone) instead of rushing to it after completing the first zone.

I dont even understand how you keep dieing at 16 tho.. its so easy..

And if difficulty makes you want to stop playing a game and rage please quit playing ANY games at all. gaming is about difficulty and taking steps to overcome that. Remember those old console games? now those were DIFFICULT! yet with the right mind set beatable and when you finally did so you had alot of fun.

You want to feel the hero? what you want is rush trough content without expieriencing any difficulty at all.  From ur posts im sure u also have to spend hours to complete these simple puzzles all over the place.

Funny part is you are even mad about it, Its not the way you want it so you talk about those that do want a difficult game like they are the "bad" guys.. and you say the game wanting to be a espost is a bad thing.. you do realise the esport part is spvp and those pro esport players dont even touch the pve content? right?  I think this game is very easily and i play solo and never try to find a group.

Originally posted by nilden

Diablo 3 being listed on this site has nothing to do with what type of game it is. It's also nothing close to an MMO like WoW. I mean seriously would you consider Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Magicka or any other hack and slash just add required online play and an auction house an MMO? No, no rational person would.

Think about what you do in WOW, and what you do in D3. Aside from teh viewpoint, and different combat mechanics (which are different from one MMO to another ANYWAY), there are a lot of similarity.

1) You form small groups to run dungeons. There are boss encounters that are more difficult than others.

2) You can solo quest to level

3) you can craft

4) you can trade in a AH

5) The ONLY major gameplay element missing in D3, compared to WOW, is instanced PVP, which will be added.

6) There is a global chat channel

Now you do not have a world to roam in D3, but that is a small part of the gameplay in WOW, particularly in end game.

It is just semantics. So what D3 is not a MMO. D3 is an online MP RPG. MMORPG is a subset of online multiplayer RPG. A lot of WOW players are D3 players (at least 1.2M of them, if not more). So comparing D3 difficulty and MMO difficulty is appropriate.

Originally posted by Onigod

And if difficulty makes you want to stop playing a game and rage please quit playing ANY games at all. gaming is about difficulty and taking steps to overcome that. Remember those old console games? now those were DIFFICULT! yet with the right mind set beatable and when you finally did so you had alot of fun.

No. Gaming is about being entertained and having fun. Some, like you, have fun overcoming difficulty.

Some don't.

Obviously if a game is TOO difficult, it is not fun. So it is in the eye of the beholder.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

No. Gaming is about being entertained and having fun. Some, like you, have fun overcoming difficulty.

Some don't.

Obviously if a game is TOO difficult, it is not fun. So it is in the eye of the beholder.

Incorrect sir! A game is something that is challenging, mental or physical, the requires you to beat challenges or a level of skill to compete. Tell me one game that is just there to entertain? There are none because than it isn't a game. You are thinking movies and such not games.

I think we need to look up the definition of a game.

Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.

There you go! Now you know what a game is.

• KrystalmythKrystalmyth Member Posts: 12

Some don't.

Google defines game as:

game

Noun:
    A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Adjective:
    1. Eager and willing to do something new or challenging: "they were game for anything".
    2. (of a person's leg) Permanently injured; lame.

In essence a game has to have a challenge bar to be considered as such. It requires skill, either mental or physical which can show prowess. It can be competetive with other people, or with oneself such as a time trial or a point goal such as a game like Galaga, Pacman.

The earliest games were simple in design. Mario Bros, the original was a head to head game involving nothing but jumping. Very simplistic. Also very difficult, and very competetive head to head. A game has to have relative challenge. A book or movie is meant to entertain.

Though games have recently strived to be more like movies to appeal to a demographic like yourself (possible, you left plenty of room to backpedal) who otherwise may not have played them, not all game designers are so quick to throw out gaming values in an attempt for higher sales, and for that I thank Arenanet.
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Some don't.

Incorrect sir! A game is something that is challenging, mental or physical, the requires you to beat challenges or a level of skill to compete. Tell me one game that is just there to entertain? There are none because than it isn't a game. You are thinking movies and such not games.

Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.

There you go! Now you know what a game is.

Dear Esther ... there is zero difficulty, no skill involved,  you just walk around.

Heck, i will even give you TWO ...

Diablo 3 normal mode .. you just need to walk around, and click your left mouse button. There is no challenge. If you die, you just go again. No skill needed. The game did not get any challenge till much later (hell difficulty, probably).

Same with many shooter in easy/casual mode. You can rush through the COD campaign in easy mode. The point is to see all the sights and feel powerful, and there is no need to develop any skills.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

LMFAO!!! This is classic!!! I don't play GW2 or TSW though I've been curious about them and watching the forums, and they definitely sound like easy games to me.

Eli, (I'll use Eli because someone else called you that earlier), every single thing invented in all of human history that has the word "game" in its name has been a set of challenges of some form, be they intellectual, tactical, logistical, physical, dumb luck or any combination of the above, that a human being has to overcome to "win", as it were. There are always at minimum two sides on every game, sometimes more. One side is always a human or humans, the other side is either a human/humans as well, computer characters/code, or for the older non-electronic single player/single team games like board games (the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks from Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston come to mind in particular) the other "side" was simply a combination of the defined rules and logistics of the game plus the luck of the dice. A game = a challenge, a competition, against one or more opponents, plain and simple.

Humans as a whole usually enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that they get from successfully overcoming a challenge within the defined rules, or at the very least watching someone else do it. That's why sports are so bloody popular in every single country on the planet. The more difficult the challenge that they successfully overcome, the better the feeling of accomplishment, and vice versa. Some people crave that feeling of accomplishment almost like an addiction. MMOs in general seem to be getting easier and more predictable over the years, and I would like to say that overall, over time the general intelligence level of humans is increasing (some faster than others :) ). A more intelligent human needs a more difficult challenge to satisfy them when they beat it; if they just burn through it with barely any effort, it feels like more of a waste of time.

I'm (kind of) sorry that you've been having so much trouble with these games, but if you really can't handle the difficulty, well...sorry to say it, but tough shit. Try finding something more to your level, perhaps one of many single player games that have a difficulty setting option.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I'm (kind of) sorry that you've been having so much trouble with these games, but if you really can't handle the difficulty, well...sorry to say it, but tough shit. Try finding something more to your level, perhaps one of many single player games that have a difficulty setting option.

Or a MMO with a difficulty setting.

LFR in WOW is pretty easy. My son can "play" it on AFK when he is doing homework. It cannot be more easy than that.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Some don't.

Merriam Webster:

Definition of GAME

1(1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement : play(2) : the equipment for a game

Sorry kid, Narius got you on this one. Other definitions also exist, but his was valid.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by maji
    Higher difficulty is a great thing, if the game is created in such a way, that it motivates people to team up to overcome hard encounters.

Unless it forces you to play with people you can't stand and don't want to be around.  The majority of people in most MMOs are people I woldn't piss on if they were on fire.

That would only be beneficial if there was a wholly superior breed of MMO player in the game and I don't see that happening.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf Originally posted by Elikal Originally posted by ForumPvP What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.  
    Dumbed down is good. Dumbed down is GREAT, because it makes me feel the HERO and not the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much.
     Clearly you aren't a hero if you need a game in easy mode to become a hero.   There are people who feel heroic and do amazing things in games that actually have any difficulty. This stems from the same thought process that led to not keeping score in kids sports so that no one felt bad. It creates generations of people who have no drive to overcome adversity and make something of themselves.   I say take every game out there and make it minimum 2-3x as hard as it is now and we might be getting close to the golden age of gaming.
    No .. just no.

And no one is a real hero. We are talking about GAMES here. Make belief. People should have fun with them ... and not feel like the game is impossible.

There not make believe if your investing money in them.

Also, they were once virtual worlds...some people forget that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development