Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

Comments

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by dreamer05

I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo)

This is the part that always interests me.  I'd love to hear more.

How about...

1. Player to player direct barter/trade system - no comment, it's just unbelievable that GW2 doesn't have this basic feature.

2. Open world PvP - despite the "dynamic" events the world feels so "safe" and predictable that much of the excitement of adventuring is just gone and dead. ("dynamic" = grindy repetitive public quests that you learn to time and grind after 20 minutes in an area.)

3. Duels - see point 1. Just unbelievable.

Those just popped in my head in a frame of a second, and are just so basic and fundamental that makes the game feel unfinished, or kind of Beta. Could think a dozen more missing geatures if I was bored enough.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo)

How about...

1. Player to player direct barter/trade system - no comment, it's just unbelievable that GW2 doesn't have this basic feature.

2. Open world PvP - despite the "dynamic" events the world feels so "safe" and predictable that much of the excitement of adventuring is just gone and dead. ("dynamic" = grindy repetitive public quests that you learn to time and grind after 20 minutes in an area.)

3. Duels - see point 1. Just unbelievable.

Those just popped in my head in a frame of a second, and are just so basic and fundamental that makes the game feel unfinished, or kind of Beta. Could think a dozen more missing geatures if I was bored enough.

2 and 3 are not basic or fundamental. Open world PvP tends to suck. GW2 was not built to be that way so expecting it means you are clueless or just trolling. Then again i read some of your posts on gw2 and trolling is what you are doing.

Yes number 1 would be a good idea and not having it does seem weird. But your nunber 2 and 3 are personel wants for you and not something every Mmo has to have. I want to see your dozen more list. Should be fun.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

from the way you talk about this class you played,

let me just guess,,, you played a Guardian?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

Yeah.  Rift did the same thing to me, only I think I went through four or five characters before I gave up.    There was something just so terribly lacking in that game.   And I'm no stranger to long, hard grinding.  I've played more than one Asian grind-fest MMO in my life.  

But by the time I hit somewhere between 10 and 12...   I just hit the wall...

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

can't adjust to just be given exploration and adventure as my goal.

Yes, this is the problem and you're not alone. Nowadays people play MMOs for powerful rewards instead of just having fun, which is sad, but this is not the players' fault. I blame the developers who make MMOs that are about getting "the best of the best" items. Unfortunately, most people got used to this lame system and if we get an MMO that offers something different like GW2, it will never be good enough for some players. Games should be played for fun, not for OP rewards. (No offence to anyone)!

And one more thing: You can switch weapons during combat, so you have 10 weapon skills. Also, if you get bored of a weapon, just use an other one for a while. My main is a Greatsword / Longbow Warrior, but sometimes I switch to dual Axes and dual Swords for fun. :)

PS. Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native langauge.

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will find having duels a basic mmo feature, especially in a AAA game that is heavily focused into PvP.

If you think otherwise then that's good for you, I guess. Probably in time you'll change your mind, when another game attracts your inconditional praise and love. I like seeing things from outside the box while others are too busy having their honeymoon with a videogame.

The whole game feels like a dumbed down mmo to me. Fun in its own right, and worth the cash (I've already spent around 100 hours, so that's that). But far from the promised Eden it was sold as.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I also feel disconected because I loved the story in GW1.  Is there a point at a certain level once you've completed your newbie race quest line that all races come together and the main story begins?

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    I also feel disconected because I loved the story in GW1.  Is there a point at a certain level once you've completed your newbie race quest line that all races come together and the main story begins?

Levels 1-10 are 1 biographical question, levels 11-20 is another.

Level 21-30 is a race specific thing leading into picking an order, and building up to Lion's Arch and introducing the dragon as a problem that you specifically are going to be helping with.

31+ is lion's arch and a lot more going around the world and being basically a global member of society, and all about... not liking the dragon.

Because dragons are bad.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Bijou

Games should be played for fun, not for OP rewards. (No offence to anyone)!

I can't see why games can't cater to both types of players 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will find having duels a basic mmo feature, especially in a AAA game that is heavily focused into PvP.

If you think otherwise then that's good for you, I guess. Probably in time you'll change your mind, when another game attracts your inconditional praise and love. I like seeing things from outside the box while others are too busy having their honeymoon with a videogame.

The whole game feels like a dumbed down mmo to me. Fun in its own right, and worth the cash (I've already spent around 100 hours, so that's that). But far from the promised Eden it was sold as.

Not really.   Sadly though it seems that most self-identified PvPers think it's all about them.   It's not.   Most people never duel or PvP.   Most of those who do barely dabble in it.  And only a small minority  do it 'hardcore' despite all the bravado and claims.

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Originally posted by Bijou

Games should be played for fun, not for OP rewards. (No offence to anyone)!

I can't see why games can't cater to both types of players 

People can still work for better gear in GW2. Characters are effective enough in masterwork and rare gear but exotic (and up) have slightly better stats. People who care about stats like crazy can have the goal to get those exotic items and / or save up for cultural armor (they are expenisve) or other skins for their armor. The gear grind is there, but the difference between item types are not huge like in other games. I read somewhere exotic items only have 13% better stats, I think? There, you can grind for OP rewards in GW2 too, lol. Both types of players are pleased in a way. =P

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You haven't even unlocked your trait slots yet at level 9. Adjusting your build as you progress thru the levels in one of the highlights of this game. About the weapon skills , think of it this way. There are no trainers to run to after every level gained , your entire build can be adjusted thru the UI.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

well that's you. You'll be missing out on all the fun, expansions, updates, that this game has to offer. Go back to WoW.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    -Deleted by Ike due to not being nice to a person who clearly doesn't care for the game... one less person I need to fight for a queue against-

Yeah spot on there.  Could not agree more.

• soulfly205soulfly205 Member Posts: 32

I can agree some what with the OP. At first the game wasn't all that entertaining and the skill bar in the beginning (especially at lvl 9) is very restrictive. But once i got lvl 30+ and got dem fancy elite skills things started  to get more interesting. Not just that the zones and environments and zone events became more interesting and entertaining.

I think its just the game feels rather stagnant from 1-20 but it does get much better imo. 

The only real real problem i have is how different the skill bar is from GW1. in GW1 every single skill mattered in a build, but it feels like some of the utility skills in this game are kind of useless, though ive only played warrior so far.

Except as a snb warrior im loving the endure pain/frenzy combo. In gw1 you could only have one stance but it seems in gw2 u can double stance, which pretty much makes frenzy's 50% extra damage negilible, and frenzy is freaouking awesome as hell. Allows me to stack almost 10 bleeds from just spamming auto skill, and those are the nice deep bleeds too.

i kinda wonder if i should went guardian tho, cuz in gw1 i ran alot of wammo builds.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Let me guess, mounts, raids, and LFG to start.

How did I do?

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

At LVL 9 there is no way you even know how fun the combat is or not.

Once you put more points into your traits and such, you unlock new weapons and skills. I can have a grenade slot which has its own 5 skills, a flaethrower that has its own 5 and so on, probably 10-15 new weapons to unlock as you lvl with 4-5-6 skills each.

You probably ruined your MMORPG days by grinding and doing battlegrounds in WOW for years and don't know what to do without that.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

The way they did class skills is extremely boring

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

And I'm sure you saw a lot of the world at level 9.

Not really you can still like a class, but not like the skill/talent system. Learn what a contradiction really is.

Farstryder,

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

I don't know about you OP, but just now I finished a 5 hours session of GW2. I am level 62 , but I left behind the story quests , at around level 35. In those 5 hours, I told myself to get back to the story quests and try to make as many as I could. Oh boy .. the way they tell the story later on and how well they are writen and told, it got my attention very fast and I enjoyed them a lot! I normally, skip the quests chats and such , but after today , I will never do that in GW2.

So , stay at level 9 , go play whatever game you want! GW2 is a game to PLAY, to explore, to learn your character, your story ..to learn your game!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I find the game irritating if I play it with the habits the last decade of MMOs have taught me.

For me, the key to enjoying Guild Wars 2 is to chill out and explore it naturally. Spare no thought for what you're expected to be doing and just do what you want.

Not that it's a sandbox, but it is an extremely lenient, and dense, themepark, packed so full of stuff that I've noticed absolutely no grind for 15 levels now. About 11 of those level-ups I didn't even notice.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon

Vast majority? I am pretty sure you are wrong. Why would I change my mind? Duels are not needed. Duels are not a basic part of a game. And definately not part of the GW games I have played.

Promised Eden? Do people really buy into hype so easily? No wonder you feel the way you do. You had unrealistic expectations.

Now please name the dozen features that other AAA titles have the GW2 does not.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Really dont get how so many people can be so uninformed about a game they get and apparently have no idea that the traits system even exists or how big of a difference it can make in your builds and customization. If you havent checked ut the traits, and what they allow you to do, i suggest playing around with this: http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/elementalist

Pick a couple classes you like, spend some points in traits, see what youre able to unlock, then come back and say there wont be a difference between low level and high level by unlocking these.

Originally posted by MosesZD

Not really.   Sadly though it seems that most self-identified PvPers think it's all about them.   It's not.   Most people never duel or PvP.   Most of those who do barely dabble in it.  And only a small minority  do it 'hardcore' despite all the bravado and claims.

Yeah the PvP is everything crowd showed up in DDO when I was playing. They posted non stop how PvP and duels would save the game and then it got added. No one ever dueled and the PvP pits were rarely used at all and when they were it was mostly to test skills and weapons.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

You are probably better off sticking with the previous generation of mmos. GW2 is a fresh new type of mmo that not only promotes change in the genre, it requires players to change how they think and play in mmos.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

You answered your own question right at the start.

GW2 has no carrot and you've been trained to need a carrot.