Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A casual player's dream

OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Ok, so I was on the fence for a long time about this game and the good folks of the community and getting in the last beta turned me... and I'm really happy they/it did!

I've been playing since the 25th and having a whole lotta buncha fun. I've been trying out Race/Class combos and weapon skills like a madman to find the perfect fit for my main. In my short time, I have noticed something. Of all of my friends who game, I've noticed that the hardcore group, they raided in WoW, beat all the modes in Diablo 3, theorycraft, etc... have already quit Gw2. When I ask them why, most say that they've already hit 80 and are bored. This BLOWS my mind as I started when they did and only have an 11 a 9 and some 5's...lol. Obviously, we have very different playstyles. I'm extremely casual due to my schedule and they play all day every day somehow. So bascially this is all to say that this game is a dream to a casual gamer like me. It's beautiful, elegant and full and things to do. For the few hours I have a week to play, I'm finding there is too much for me to get into. I haven't completed more then 2% of the map on any character lol. I would say that if you are a casual gamer, RUN don't walk to get into this game. You won't regret it. As king of the casuals, I can honestly tell you that this game will keep me happy for months/years to come. 

As for the hardcore gamers, I'm not sure. It's hard for me to say as I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I've seen some on this site say they love it, while most of my friends who are considered hardcore, don't care for it. I would say try it either way, with no sub, it's more then worth the money either way. Even my brother in law who is a notorious content locust who sits in a basement and plays 15 hours a day thought it was worth it. Although he quit playing, his thought was that he paid $50 and got 120 hours of gameplay.. which is still worth it. Especially if he decides to come back at some point. 

What say some of the hardcore crowd?

Comments

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I considering myself a casual gamer too, play around 15h a week.

Been a casual player dont change the games i like. I like games for what they are and not because i play 10 or 100h a week.

The only diference is when others take 2 weeks to get somewhere in-game i take 4 or 6 months  :)

Your "hardcore players" friends didnt like the game not because they are "hardcore" but because simply they didnt like the game.

And if u are having fun im sure it is because of what the game is and not for you be casual.

The only diference between "hardcore" and "casual" players is the time we take to realise if the game is for a long run or just a short one.

Just my opinnion ofc

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

All those "harcores" haven't even "beaten" the game... they just hit 80, nothing more. 100% world exploration? Nope. Cleared Orr and Killed Zaithan? Nope. Cleared all exploration mode dungeons? Nope.

If they have the attention span of a tired 5 year old kid, who cares? It's their loss.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    i've played 181 hours in the past 12 days. there is so much to do and explore i don't see how anyone could get bored. it's a game that you can live in pretty much. some people just have the single player mind set, beat the game and move on. they consider leveling to be the only game, i suppose that and end game raiding. this game is a world not a treadmill.
  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Naah, we all just space bar through the story and skip the planets. Endgame is dungeons, crafting, pvp or dailies.

Oh wrong game sorry.

I take my time and truelly explore every zone, bask in my characters awesome individuality and wait for each new sunrise that the Anet Gods have given us.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Options confuse some gamers. They need linear progression. I'm not calling them stupid, just a playstyle preference.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Yes, this game was definitely created for casual gamers. I'm not sure there can be any denying that.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

Naah, we all just space bar through the story and skip the planets. Endgame is dungeons, crafting, pvp or dailies.

Oh wrong game sorry.

I take my time and truelly explore every zone, bask in my characters awesome individuality and wait for each new sunrise that the Anet Gods have given us.

Are you being sarcastic or are you really enjoying GW2? Back in the SWTOR heydays you managed a rather different tone. I hope you really are enjoying the game, I think it's rather neat for the more casual, ex-hardcore, players.

imageimage
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I spacebar through the story, its very cheesey. I think only mmos were I've read quests, bothered with story were coh and tsw.

Mind story isn't why I'm.playing gw2.
  • drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I've noticed that the hardcore group, they raided in WoW, beat all the modes in Diablo 3, theorycraft, etc... have already quit Gw2. When I ask them why, most say that they've already hit 80 and are bored.  

Yeah, I raided in wow like a second job for years and beat all modes in D3....only thing hardcore is being able to trick yourself so that you can ignore the fact you are doing the exact same thing for long periods of time.

If they believe doing the exact same raid with 5-10 bosses in wow for 6-12months is less boring than seeing everything there is to see in GW2 there isn't much you can do about it.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    You can play casual in any game. It isn't a special feature only in GW2.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Every triple A ThemePark game since WoW (AoC, WAR, EQ 2, Rift, DCU, SW:TOR etc) have been catering to casual players. So not sure what the novelty is here. Actually only WoW has any real content for hardcore raiders, all the other games have nothing to offer for hardcore gamers and probably why so many of them die of after about a year after release because by then even a casual player have exhausted all the content.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

All those "harcores" haven't even "beaten" the game... they just hit 80, nothing more. 100% world exploration? Nope. Cleared Orr and Killed Zaithan? Nope. Cleared all exploration mode dungeons? Nope.

If they have the attention span of a tired 5 year old kid, who cares? It's their loss.

I agree wholeheartedly.  People thinking they've "beat the game" already is laughable.  I couldn't care less if those people are bored.  I'm having a blast....for now....and that's all that matters to me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I doubt any of the 80's know the story line or what & why the things that are happening in the zones.  They rush, rush, rush, skip, kill, kill, kill, keep running forward, never look back.  I get the impression that they must speak like an auctioneer.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Jabas

I considering myself a casual gamer too, play around 15h a week.

Been a casual player dont change the games i like. I like games for what they are and not because i play 10 or 100h a week.

The only diference is when others take 2 weeks to get somewhere in-game i take 4 or 6 months  :)

Your "hardcore players" friends didnt like the game not because they are "hardcore" but because simply they didnt like the game.

And if u are having fun im sure it is because of what the game is and not for you be casual.

The only diference between "hardcore" and "casual" players is the time we take to realise if the game is for a long run or just a short one.

Just my opinnion ofc

I don't agree. Being a casual or hardcore gamer can certainly change my opinion on a game based on how it's designed. Take WoW for eample. Being a casual gamer in the beginning (vanilla) was a nightmare. I didn't have 6 hours a day to play and raid, so I had shitty gear and never got to go on really good runs cause I couldn't be on long enough. A hardcore 8 hour a day player did that stuff every day. 

With guild wars 2, I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything by not having 8 hours a day to play. It's awesome.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Depends in what sense you use Hardcore and Casual ..

To me it's a mindset you play with rather than how long you play etc ...

You can play 15 hours a day and still be a casual player just floating in the game doing different things .. Imo

While someone who absolutely must complete all the vista's I would class as Hardcore 

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

You can play 15 hours a day and still be a casual player just floating in the game doing different things .. Imo

While someone who absolutely must complete all the vista's I would class as Hardcore 

Defining it that way isn't very helpful, in my view, but then again the "casual" and "hardcore" categories aren't helpful, either.

To me, the main delineation in MMOs has been based on a caste system dividing (1) time-rich players from (2) time-poor players.  Virtually every MMO rewards (1) at the expense of (2).  Often (1) is referred to as "hardcore" and (2) as "casual", but it really is more of a question of time available and time expensed on gaming.

GW2 breaks down that caste system probably better than any other MMO in recent memory.  It doesn't particularly reward the time-rich, nor does it particularly penalize the time-poor.  Many game systems contribute to this, such as the gear parity principle, the capped PvP principle, the "everything gives good XP" principle, the fast travel principle, the auto non-group group priniciple and on and on.  It is consistently designed to provide engaging and rewarding play regardless of time-richness or time-poverty.  And that is probably its main innovation, albeit one that is incarnated and buttressed by many smaller design tweaks.  It's kind of a time-hardcore player's worst nightmare, because among MMOs it rewards time-richness the least consistently.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Knightblast
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Defining it that way isn't very helpful, in my view, but then again the "casual" and "hardcore" categories aren't helpful, either.

To me, the main delineation in MMOs has been based on a caste system dividing (1) time-rich players from (2) time-poor players.  Virtually every MMO rewards (1) at the expense of (2).  Often (1) is referred to as "hardcore" and (2) as "casual", but it really is more of a question of time available and time expensed on gaming.

Totally understand your view and can accept that :) but mine differs in the fact to me anyway a time - poor player can still be a hardcore player Imo

Ie: A TP player might spend all his X hours just repeatedly raiding ... 

While a TR one might play in a more relaxed way , a bit of crafting, a bit of questing, a bit of farming 

But hey that's just my own opinion which doesn't mean it's correct :p

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    That if you're in the right guild you can go hardcore with this game. WvWing it up all day everyday. Doing endgame dungeons and doing all the things this game has to offer.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Hardcore players can never be happy. It goes against their mindset. 95% of us, including myself,  would be considered casual due to having other responsibilities in life.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I hope they fix Zhaian... I was looking at some comments (not videos... dont wanna ruin it ;D) about the final boss fight, and many commented it was WAY to easy.