Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of GW2's greatest faults

Comments

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Deivos

So...

This thread is complaining about no ease of acces to patch notes that don't exist?

But not only do patch notes exist, they have a handy link to them on the launcher?

They also have a forum on their site that they keep updated?

And additionally to that they make comments via networking sites to keep up on activity?

So, what is being complained about again?

Really it boils down to people are pissed they have a facebook and twitter account, thats what I've gotten out of it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    It just seems unprofessional to rely too heavily on a 3rd party to relay info.  You'd think they'd want total control over that sort of thing, not to depend on the whims of Facebook, and however they muck up the way feeds are displayed or whatever else.

for reddit / facebook, your comment has merit

for GW1, ANET ran their own wiki, they didnt add a GW1 support forum until years later

for GW2, ANET has control over the wiki

Game status updates  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

(This page is updated by ArenaNet staff and protected against non-admin editing.)

ANET recently added GW2 support forum

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Jason1989

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

Why not? 

Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 

Not everyone wants to register for a forum.  They update their Wiki.  They can do what they like.  One thing that is good about the facebook is the anominity trolls are not as prevalent.

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. Their forums have been up over previous beta weekends as a READ only, why can't they atleast give us that with the patch notes? I'm fine if they are ok with using twitter and faceplant, but i'm not huge into, and i'm only 20 years old. Social media is a debate for another forum, but from a professional company I expect a tad more.

Atleast give us read only forums with patch notes and support.

EDIT: seems we were given EXACTLY what I was asking for, haha, thanks for the wiki link above i didn't know that existed, and it lead me to a temporary GW2 support forum with everything i'm looking for.

Isn't that the issue this thread is trying to discuss?

Exactly, I don't follow twitter, or facebook, I have both but rarely use them. I don't know why GW2 pulled their forums down, all I know is I don't know where to find information. 

But now GW2 has a temporary support forum that guess what... Links EVERYTHING back to their wiki. All game updates are on wiki. Which is fine if that's how they want to do buisness, just expected better communication, like maybe on the launcher it says "GW2 UPDATES AT BLAHBLAH.COM". That would've been nice.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Deivos

So...

This thread is complaining about no ease of acces to patch notes that don't exist?

But not only do patch notes exist, they have a handy link to them on the launcher?

They also have a forum on their site that they keep updated?

And additionally to that they make comments via networking sites to keep up on activity?

So, what is being complained about again?

Apparently the Wiki link doesn't show up while the game is patching or before you log-in, so if you use auto-play you'll likely miss it. I didn't even know there was a link until now as I use auto-play and the only time I see the launcher it's when there's an update. It would definitely be handy to have patch notes available to read while your wait for the game to patch up though. Not really a gamebreaking issue, and I'm glad ANET had the foresight and professionalism to link to their Wiki for information instead of relying on social media sites. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Apparently the Wiki link doesn't show up while the game is patching or before you log-in, so if you use auto-play you'll likely miss it. I didn't even know there was a link until know as I use auto-play and the only time I see the launcher it's when there's an update. It would definitely be handy to have patch notes available to read while your wait for the game to patch up though. Not really a gamebreaking issue, and I'm glad ANET had the foresight and professionalism to link to their Wiki for information instead of relying on social media sites. 

i agree with you

would be more effective to not require login see the launcher newsfeeds

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

OP I won't disagree with you, I think they really need to get their forums together personally, it's my favorite mode of  internet communication tbh.  However...like it's been said you don't actually need to have a Twitter account to get info from them.  I don't bother with Twitter one bit but I do go to their feed if I am having issues, and they are very good about communicating there.  I wont touch Facebook with a ten ft pole though.

Also they are good about updating the game status on their wki.  It's actually pretty impressive.  I really do wish they would open the rest of their foums though!

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    They've been posting daily development updates.

/thread
  • EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

Agreed. A large portionof players choose not to use these fake-friend networks (myself, for example) and any self-respecting company should have their own means for communicating with the playerbase. Using third party platforms is cheap and unbecoming of any game company that aspires to be important.

The fact that this far after launch there's still no official forums is unforgivable by itself. It's the kind of thing that makes people wonder if ArenaNet is for real, and truth is, some of my friends are already quitting GW2, and that's faster than what Diablo3 accomplished.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

Agreed. A large portionof players choose not to use these fake-friend networks (myself, for example) and any self-respecting company should have their own means for communicating with the playerbase. Using third party platforms is cheap and unbecoming of any game company that aspires to be important.

The fact that this far after launch there's still no official forums is unforgivable by itself. It's the kind of thing that makes people wonder if ArenaNet is for real, and truth is, some of my friends are already quitting GW2, and that's faster than what Diablo3 accomplished.

I dont find it unforgivable. They are starting to open parts of the forums already, just not the general forums because of the reasons they have given more than once.

Wondering if this company is for real makes me think you are trolling, but hey we each need a hobby.

In truth no one I know has quit this game yet. We all know different people. Just because your friend quit does not mean everyone is quitting.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

.... *types in guildwars2.com*

*clicks on the button labeled 'forums' at the top*

*browses forums a bit*

*hits the back button a couple times*

*reads the first news article, which is about checking the state of game development at the official wiki, along with link*

I'm really confused by your post.  You and your friends should try typing in 'guildwars2.com'.  Or use google and look up 'guildwars 2', then follow the first link.

Or read what it says on the launcher.

Though, I'll let you in on a little secret.  None of that stuff existed until I just picked up the url and posted all that stuff.  Can you believe guildwars2.com wasn't taken until I just wrote all that?  Pretty amazing.  I wonder if I can charge Arenanet for doing all their work for them.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Funny thing about the whole Twitter/Facebook thing I find is that a lot of people saying that it's perfectly acceptable are the same people I've seen throw fits about other games using Facebook for beta invites and contests.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

Well, the forums probably opened yesterday or today, and it's not complete yet. 

I'm just saying that it couldn't hurt to have a direct link in the main page to the patch notes just as the patch is being applied, like most other games do.

And despite what others seem to think, communicating with the playerbase via third party social networks is not good enough.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Well, the forums probably opened yesterday or today, and it's not complete yet. 

I'm just saying that it couldn't hurt to have a direct link in the main page to the patch notes just as the patch is being applied, like most other games do.

And despite what others seem to think, communicating with the playerbase via third party social networks is not good enough.

They have a direct link in the main page to the status update.

So basically they've catering to what you want.  So you should say thank you.  Because that's what gracious people do when they get their way.  ;)

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

I think the game itself, which is what we ALL should be focused on, is amazing. Are there bugs? Yes, of course. The game just  released, and with all new releases there are issues to be worked out. Have there been communication issues? Obviously, but Arena.Net has stated that they have been overwhelmed with several different issues and they are tackling them in a priority-based manner, focusing with hacked accounts and faulty log-ins first and foremost as it should. There are things that we all want to be available that just weren't for various reasons, but let's take a step back and look at this with reasonable eyes:

We are just a little over a week into official launch. There have been problems that have kept pre-order customers from getting to play and, as disappointing as that is, we should all know what we're getting with a brand new MMORPG release. Getting early access is usually not much, if at all, different from beta access, which means there are still existing issues to be worked out.

Before the flamers come out and burn my post in a unceremonious terd-kindled pyre, let me say that I am a pre-order customer of GW2. I was not able to even create an account to access the game until 2 days post official launch, which means my pre-release access was nullified. Was I upset? Of course, as anyone would be. But how much did I actually lose out? What does 3 days' headstart really gain me, when I realize that after 3 hours of actual gameplay that I will be in this game for years? It is that good. I have lost more than 3 days with internet outages with previous games, which I paid monthly fees for. 

So in summary, let me just say that I believe that anyone willing to give the game a month or two will be well rewarded. In my truly humble opinion, this is the greatest MMO I've been privileged to play since I began playing MMOs in 1998.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

And yet when I see their patch notes and updates they focus on the things that the community has been crying about the most.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Jason1989   I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.
    Why not? 
    Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 
    Not everyone wants to register for a forum.  They update their Wiki.  They can do what they like.  One thing that is good about the facebook is the anominity trolls are not as prevalent.

Really? come on dude.

If you have a product, Write announcements on your website front page for everyone to see.

Not doing that is just silly.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Jason1989   I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.
    Why not? 

Really? come on dude.

If you have a product, Write announcements on your website front page for everyone to see.

Funny how most games DONT do that, instead they usually post a link to a forum post, or a specific page for patch notes, not the notes themselves right on the main page. You see that Wiki link at the top of their page thtat takes you to the official Wiki run by them? USE IT! Thy post all the updates there.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Community.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Why not? 

Really? come on dude.

Funny how most games DONT do that, instead they usually post a link to a forum post, or a specific page for patch notes, not the notes themselves right on the main page. You see that Wiki link at the top of their page thtat takes you to the official Wiki run by them? USE IT! Thy post all the updates there.

I thought they were trying to change the way MMOs were played, but hey, if you are happy with it then it must be the end all. One day you all will look back and be amazed at how much of that carrot you all just chased...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    You dont like facebook and twitter for the info go to their wiki and read all the updates. Drama queen trolls are rly annoting these days...
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Slampig

Why not? 

Really? come on dude.

I thought they were trying to change the way MMOs were played, but hey, if you are happy with it then it must be the end all. One day you all will look back and be amazed at how much of that carrot you all just chased...

What does the game have to do with the way websites work? Dont recall them ever claiming they were reinventing the internet and websites. But I guess since they didnt do that, they should be trolled for it.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Slampig

Why not? 

Really? come on dude.

We are so lucky to have you here as the voice of reason.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

What the heck is that silly link titled, "State of the Game" when you log in? Also what is that silly thing called a GW2 forum? Another worthless GW2 bash thread.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree with the OP. If a game company wants to use FB and twitter in addition to their website and forums for their patch notes, fine. But not instead of. I also want to see the patch notes somewhere where I don't have to log in first. And definately not Facebook.

Social media is the 'The new norm' lol. Being a product for some commercial company will never be the new norm for me. They need to keep their stinking nose out of my life. Let someone else be the sheep. This is something that I feel very strongly about I guess :p

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

They've been posting A LOT on reddit and now the site has the info.

Not having forums/patch notes at launch is annoying and comes off as arrogant. It makes them seem unprepared. Maybe Anet is a much smaller company than I thought and they are so overwhelmed certain functions arent possible. It appears they are implementing some of these core communication items and things will improve. This is really one of the only big faults I've seen with the launch....most everything I don't love are design decisions and not something they can be faulted for.