Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't even get past level 9....

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    I just dont find the game a grind at all. I find the leveling to not take any grinding and to come quite easily as I move through the game world.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    -Deleted by Ike due to not being nice to a person who clearly doesn't care for the game... one less person I need to fight for a queue against-
  • wireyankeewireyankee Member Posts: 36
    Honest review, and I tend to agree with much of what you said. I still think it's a good game, I'm just not wowed by it at all. The fact that it's "FREE" creates a lot of favorable reviews. If GW@ was subscription based I don't think it would be receiving the praise it does currently.
  • PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by dreamer05

I really really wanted to love this game.  I just can't get into it. 

The pvp battlegrounds can be pretty fun but with no real reward I don't see any motivation to keep going and going.   I am not a big quester, and while I enjoy the classes and the world is beautiful I just hate the way they did the weapon skills.  After your weapon skills are complete, what other reason is there to level?  Yea I get the support and healing skills but none of them ever really seem worth grinding up and still using the same weapon skills you've always used throughout the whole game.  I feel that the WvWvW was very fun at first and probably could be still but because of the reason I just mentioned for finding the classes boring I can't get into it that often either. 

So here I sit with two level 9 characters and no real drive to log back in.  Even my good friend who plays with me and loves to quest isn't very motivated to log in.  Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel there is such a lack of reward versus how much grind they put into this one isn't equalling out.  The way they did class skills is extremely boring to me and I don't see any reason whatsoever to level to 80.  I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo), I'm just extremely bored by it and dissapointed because I was hoping it would keep me entertained for a few months at least.

It's been said before that this game isn't for everyone. It's ok. Find something else to do.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I enjoy the classes 

The way they did class skills is extremely boring

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

And I'm sure you saw a lot of the world at level 9.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't hate the game or think that it's terrible (aside from a few features that should be expected in a AAA mmo)

This is the part that always interests me.  I'd love to hear more.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    "I'll admit I'm decently (hugely) biased because no matter how many times I tried I just wouldn't get into Wow.

However!! PvP in Rift is my entire end game.  I rarely dungeon, and never raid, and pvp content is massive and keeps my playing still almost a year after launch."

According to your own likes GW2 should have been the best game ever for you yet now you claim it's not? Weird.

Sounds more like you are bored of the genre and not the game. Knowing too much can sometimes do that about a title. It's also very early and if you've only got one person to login with to play it can get a little lonely. 

I hope you find something that interests you.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

interesting, i didn't find this info but it's there after i read the history again. That is contradictory.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by wireyankee
    Honest review, and I tend to agree with much of what you said. I still think it's a good game, I'm just not wowed by it at all. The fact that it's "FREE" creates a lot of favorable reviews. If GW@ was subscription based I don't think it would be receiving the praise it does currently.

I agree with this. It isn t a bad game, but if it were a sub game, it would be half if not 1/4 as popular.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I think the combat is extremely well down (almost Devil may cry style) and am having a blast fighting my way through the world. I even started  paying attention to the dailies.

I do agree with you having all weapon skills in the beginning with NO unlocks what so ever is stupid. I already want new weapons and new skills and I just started...

Originally posted by Lorkii
    Originally posted by wireyankee

I agree with this. It isn t a bad game, but if it were a sub game, it would be half if not 1/4 as popular.

But lets be honest sub based games are basically going the way of the dinosaur. To say if it was sub based it would be 1/4 as popular is silly. Chances are if it was sub based it would go the way of SWTOR at some point in the future, but thats as much because of the way gaming is going as it is anything the game does right or wrong. F2P or hybrid like DDO has done is the wave of the future and in reality the wave of the present. Sub based gaming is just about done.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Just move on to something more your taste OP ..  it's not a crime to dislike the game so find something you enjoy 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. The lack of "reward" for levelling is simply a removal of the carrot and the stick we've seen in umpteen MMO's before. I'm enjoying the game not because of any reward or lack of. I'm just finding it fun. The exploration, wandering around areas just to see what's there. The simple reward of finding a point of interest or a vista and figuring out how to get to it. The rambling excursions through caves, up and down rock faces, along planks over long drops, just to see where it goes.

Weapon skills may be unlocked quickly but there's a whole bunch of other skills to unlock and choose from, plus traits to explore and experiment with.

I don't find the game feeling at all like a grind. It feels more like an MMO that finally concentrates more on the journey, rather than the destination. There's no longer a need to get to the level cap before you get to the "end game", something that's been done too many times already.

Luckily for you there are plenty of MMO's out there offering what you seem to be looking for. Personally I'm glad to find one at least that does things differently for a change.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I don't find the game feeling at all like a grind. It feels more like an MMO that finally concentrates more on the journey, rather than the destination. There's no longer a need to get to the level cap before you get to the "end game", somthing that's been done too many times already.

I feel exactly the same, they really delivered on that promise.  I've never had as much fun prior to level 35 in any other MMO, including WoW, which was always most fun for me from lvl 60 to 70, then not again til endgame.  Yeah, I actually liked Hellfire Penninsula, so what of it? lol

In GW2, I never felt the need to hurry or felt like I was missing out by not having dungeon ques to throw myself into and level quickly.  My opinion might change after a few alts, but for the time being, it's been a total joy.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I enjoy the classes 

Contradicting much?

the world is beautiful

The classes and the way they did the class skills aren't the same thing.  I loved mesmer in the first game for example, but the way they do skills in this game versus what they did in the first ruins it for me.

And I don't believe I said "OMG I'VE SEEN EVERY INCH OF THE WORLD ALL OF IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!"  I said the world is beautiful, meaning what I've seen of it is beautiful.  Chill the hell out.

I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. The lack of "reward" for levelling is simply a removal of the carrot and the stick we've seen in umpteen MMO's before. I'm enjoying the game not because of any reward or lack of. I'm just finding it fun. The exploration, wandering around areas just to see what's there. The simple reward of finding a point of interest or a vista and figuring out how to get to it. The rambling excursions through caves, up and down rock faces, along planks over long drops, just to see where it goes.

Weapon skills may be unlocked quickly but there's a whole bunch of other skills to unlock and choose from, plus traits to explore and experiment with.

I don't find the game feeling at all like a grind. It feels more like an MMO that finally concentrates more on the journey, rather than the destination. There's no longer a need to get to the level cap before you get to the "end game", something that's been done too many times already.

Luckily for you there are plenty of MMO's out there offering what you seem to be looking for. Personally I'm glad to find one at least that does things differently for a change.

I think your response really opens my eyes a bit.  This could be more symptematic of the fact that I am a long term veteran of the MMO genre and can't adjust to just be given exploration and adventure as my goal.  Very good points.

Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss
    Go play something else? Why are you wasting forum space?

I am looking to relate to fellow players.  Why are you wasting forum space?

What a silly thing to say. An unhappy player should still post why they are unhappy. Maybe they are looking to stay or maybe some response helps them see the game a little differently. Your response has no chance of doing that but a well thoughtout and polite one might help the OP.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    -Deleted by Ike due to not being nice to a person who clearly doesn't care for the game... one less person I need to fight for a queue against-

Or that person could have a legitimate gripe... I know, it's hard to get out of that corner that you all painted yourselves into, but come on, game is released, if people don't like it, LET THEM NOT LIKE IT...

GW2 commmunity adds even more...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Well I for one was just sitting at the edge of my chair reading this gripping review.

As far as the OP, it's ok if you don't like it and to be honest no one cares but you.  You don't need to justify it in some way of get validation from other people that don't like the game.  Go play something else you enjoy and move on.  I have hundreds of games on my hard drive and/or Steam account, I hate some of them..it's no big deal, I just play something else that is worth my time.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I dont understand why so many people attack the OP just because he tried the game and didnt like it.

@OP, maybe take a break from MMOs for a while? gw2 is a great game, imo. but as a whole im burnt out by the genre. Its taking a turn for  the worse as games become more instanced with instant gratification. MMORPGs are dying, we will soon just have a bunch of coop games or fps with cash shops or subs where you log on and instant level up to max lvl.

Despite how i feel about the genre, GW2 is a nice change of pace.  Yes, it is annoying unlocking all the skills early on, with nothing to look fwd to other than couple traits early on, BUT you can have different playstyles and experiment with different builds in pvp.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I think you're severely underestimating just how much utility skills can change your build.  :)

Some of them are attacks in their own right, you know.

... now granted, that only extends the game out so much further until you have the 6 point utility skills...

... but after that, there's still the elite skills, and even the trait points can really change how a build works, and just what attacks do for you.

There's also a lot more to weapon attacks than there are in most MMORPGs.  As I've gotten better, I've found more ways to use my mesmer skills to my benefit... especially a lot of the cloning skills, where I combine that with shredding as I build up to stronger phantasms.  Sometimes I'll ignore an attack skill because it doesn't seem super useful, then as I get more advanced, I find myself using it more often, and it makes the combat more interesting.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Slampig

Or that person could have a legitimate gripe... I know, it's hard to get out of that corner that you all painted yourselves into, but come on, game is released, if people don't like it, LET THEM NOT LIKE IT...

GW2 commmunity adds even more...

... and other people said they are free not to like it, but lots of people go 'Oh, how dare you tell a person that if they don't want to play the game, don't play it'.  Can't win for losing.

I don't think attacking that person is helpful, but you constantly attacking the GW2 community isn't helpful either.  :I

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. The lack of "reward" for levelling is simply a removal of the carrot and the stick we've seen in umpteen MMO's before. 

Personally I think the " carrot and stick " only become important at endgame and I'm glad GW2 haven't removed it entirely .

I know it doesn't matter to much in a B2P game but it does help retain players who might leave if it wasn't their as a goal 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I think your response really opens my eyes a bit.  This could be more symptematic of the fact that I am a long term veteran of the MMO genre and can't adjust to just be given exploration and adventure as my goal.  Very good points.

It does require a shift in thinking, I admit, especially if you've been playing the genre for a while. I started in 98 with a brief stab at UO but it was EQ that was my first "big" MMO. You'll know if you were playing back then, end game was something to worry about in 8 or 9 months time, so the journey through the levels was more significant.

Since then levelling speeds increased and more and more the later offerings became about grinding to the cap and "starting the proper game". This is an attitude I've always hated. When WoW first came out and someone commented that the game starts at 60 I near blew a gasket.

For me GW2 seems more like the new experiences I had in EQ, or possibly SWG, where you just went out to see what you could see. Maybe this will help and maybe it won't but if you can make that mental shift I'm sure you'd enjoy the game far more.

Try a bit of W v W or maybe some experimentation at a crafting station. The Discovery of new recipes is a bit of fun, mixing and matching mats to see what you can make. Maybe take a more relaxed approach to levelling, pick a direction and just go see what you can find. There's some DE's in the most unlikely places. There's stuff that doesn't show up on the map and the scouts won't point it out either. It needs to be found.

I hope this helps because it would be a shame to have bought the game and feel you've wasted the money.