Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Neverwinter: PAX 2012 Best in Show - Here's Why

1235»

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Kentucky, KYPosts: 1,558Member
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by zethcarn
    This is a great, great idea but I'm wondering about something.  Is there going to be some kind of voting process to seperate the decent player-creations from the incredible ones?  I mean it seems there needs to be a way of weeding out certain ones.

You can check the STO version, most likely the Neverwinter one will be similar on this matter. In STO when you finish a user-generated mission, a pop-up window comes up (but it's not mandatory, you can close it right away if you want to). In this window you can:

rate the mission (1-5, when you searching missions by quality, the result list is based on these ratings)

give a review (readable to anyone, so when you find a mission which seems interesting, you can read the reviews of other players. Also you can point out bugs, factual errors, etc to the creator in this box)

give a tip if you like (not much, only a few dilly, so it won't be the base of the creators wealth :) )

Sounds good. Thanks for the information.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire AucklandPosts: 195Member Uncommon

If this is going to be the same peice of garbage that the STO Foundry is, I will save my money for something else. If they want a truely EPIC game they will follow the course Bioware did in 2002..don't just let people build 'episodes' let them build WORLDS. Some of the abilities of BW's NWN1 that if Cryptics Neverwinter allowed I would be drooling over it.

1.) Private server runnable under Windows and Linux

2.) MySQL link to game data so you could have leaderboards and monster data on websites.

3.) A DECENT scripting system, not like the dumbed down version in STO Foundry

If the NW Foundry is going to be a POS like the STO one is.. If Cryptic is going to try to hype that they will be better than Biowares NWN1 / Aurora Toolset I will give it a pass.

(Former authour of a huge 700+ area NWN1 world that had custom scripted areas, spawns, treasure, encounters, custom creatures based on Dragonlance - this was Ansalon - The World of Krynn)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Virginia beach, VAPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

The Player created content sounds really good....until a lvl 1 fighter is handed a +5 Vorpal sword! LOL Hope they have things in place to prevent this from happening.

***Raving Rabbid is still wtg for WOD online!!!!*****

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes

• GameveteranGameveteran Los Angeles, CAPosts: 9Member

Long story short, it's using an updated Foundry that is heads and shoulders above the current STO Foundry. It uses in-game only monsters and treasures so no exploiting is done. This means you play the game in the MMO world so no private servers either. While the games are currently instanced, the wishlist of having public missions is being looked into for the Foundry in NW.

However, the aspects of supporting multiple linked missions (Campaigns,) branching/looping dialog trees, seamlessly connected rooms and other features that used to take hours in Aurora that now can be done in minutes by drag and drop and auto populate, (before advanced features are even used) is a great offering for novice and expert modders.

And in conclusion, a lot of the "fails" that Cryptic gets is actually due to Atari's cheap and fast forced mandates. Look at DDO and AoC to see their fingerprints on massive mistakes at launches, and how they almost did it again by the forced Co-op. Let Cryptic learn from its mistakes and failure on its own and give them a shot to show what PWE is allowing them to do with support from a real publisher.

And if they do the same things as before, then they will earn what they give. But if they shine in innovation released from prior shackles and narrow-minded thinking, then they will be innovators once again.

And sorry gillrmn for me using the A-word

GameVeteran

• MortisRexMortisRex Columbia, TNPosts: 348Member
    For thge record, the "original Neverwinter Nights" was released on AOL in 1994 and was produced by Stomfront Studios. I am excited about this newest iteration and the tools it offers players. I'm leery because I don't have a great deal of confidence in PWE. Taking a wait and see attitude.
  • NetspookNetspook OsloPosts: 1,503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    Originally posted by rentantilus
    Someone has finally stumbled upon the perpetual motion machine for MMOs: Get the customers to create their own content. Bravo!

I know, right? What's the most expensive component of MMO development? Content creation. Let developers give the basic story and create the systems to give players tools to create even more. It's a win-win proposition!

Ehm.. When you put it that way, it sound more like "we can't afford to develop the contents, let's rely on the players and cross our fingers".

Not exactly win-win in my book.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,175Member Uncommon
    It is still PW, I don't care what you say, their games end being some of the most expensive on the planet.  I guess we will have to wait and see how much leeway they give Cryptic, but my gut feeling is that most of you will be very disappointed how this game is implemented with the cash shop.
  • grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zellmer

I liked this idea..... when Valve did the same thing LONG AGO..

"Early commercial mod-making tools were the Boulder Dash Construction Kit (1986) and the Bard's Tale Construction Set (1991), which allowed users to create game designs in those series."

But way to go old school with dropping the name of the company made by Microsoft guys.

What was the original game that shipped with adventures, but gave the players the tools to develop their own content?  Oh yeah, it was D&D.

• grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zethcarn
    This is a great, great idea but I'm wondering about something.  Is there going to be some kind of voting process to seperate the decent player-creations from the incredible ones?  I mean it seems there needs to be a way of weeding out certain ones.

That's a REALLY GREAT IDEA!  I really think they should do something like this.  I also really think you should read the article you commented on.

• blohm86blohm86 GöteborgPosts: 43Member
    Not impressed, not at all.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch NexusPosts: 831Member
    As a huge fan of NWN 1 & 2, to me this just looks like a horrible attempt to rape the whole NWN setting and trying to forge yet another silly and simplified mmorpg around it, with nothing left of the original game.

image image image

1235»