Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: PAX 2012 Best in Show - Here's Why

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Since the days of AO, I have hailed player generated content as the to solve end game issues. In AO all you could do is some scripting, but it showed the way forward as far as I was concerned.

But the idea of player designed content never really got going, maybe it will in this MMO which could be a real genre changer if it does.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

I just hope Cryptic learns from the advice the STO UGC community has been giving them since the Foundry's closed beta!

If I come to NWO and see a Foundry where I cannot:

1. Create objects the player can pick up and place in their inventory and then utilize in the mission.
    2. Create actual scripts for NPC behavior that takes into account player actions as well as player dialog choices.
    3. Export my content out to another Author so they can use my designs and import content from others authors who wish to share their work with me.
    Then I'll be highly disappointed because we've been asking Cryptic for these (and more) features since 2010!
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i really dont see how a game with such horrible graphics can get mmorpg.com certification? 
  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Obidom

Due to my Life time subs with both Cryptic games, I automatically qualify for testing this game :)

urry up and give it to me, I wonder how long it will take for the Modding Community to convert some classic DnD modules to the game? Baldurs Gate etc will probably look AWESOME!

Pffft Baldur's Gate, think bigger. Imagine what Queen of the DemonWeb Pits would look like :)

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    i really dont see how a game with such horrible graphics can get mmorpg.com certification? 

Graphics are exceptionally good actually. I don't think you have seen in game videos of the game. Search for [["Neverwinter - InGame Presentation and "the Forge"]] on youtube.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Starfired

Now THIS is innovation.

Guild Wars 2? WvWvW? Dynamic Events? Please.

Good job Cryptic. This is really bringing the traditional DnD experience to the MMO genre. Be a Dungeon Master! Its a fantastic idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong..............Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 has done this before.

Though this is good news.

NWN1 and 2 was NOT a persistent open-world mmo though.

Not sure this is either.  Pretty sure is more lobby based.

no its not. 

Its a set of non-instanced persistent (possibly zoned by districts of the city) areas and instanced dungeons.

They must have changed direction then, as originally they tried to coin a new type of game (OMG - online multiplayer game) and stated it wouldn't be a MMO.

They did. It was supposed to be released in 2011 as Co-OP multiplayer game. It was stated that devs wanted to make an MMO but Atari wouldn't allow them. Then Atari sold cryptic to PW and they delayed game for an year and PW allowed them(funded them) to make MMO game as cryptic devs initially wanted to.

Recently, they delayed the release to 2013 as response to the game has been unprecedented and so cryptic gets more funds to polish the game into a more refined product and add PvP at launch.

Now they have open areas where you can fight monsters toghether with hundreds of players but the game is still D&D based with stress on dungeon delves with parties of 5 players.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Its the whole" sounds too good to be true" scenario again.  But I am definitely following this until launch, who knows, maybe this time I wont be disappointed?
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by SwampRob

It all sounds very promising.   My real concern is how we will be charged for this.   It has the potential to nickel and dime us to death.

I totally love D&D, but whether or not I will play this is very dependent upon their cash shop system.   I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately although playable demos might look fun the real problem will be how Cryptic do nickle-and-dime players on the actual game release. I am betting at least a buy-to-win cash shop, and who knows maybe even a cash auction house. Cryptic are briliant at taking a game with potenital, putting it through the Cryptic blender, and, hey presto, it becomes a shadow of itself as you have to play arround cash shop and advertising.

• lokilogiclokilogic Member Posts: 6
    This is off topic, but has anyone heard what rule system they are using? How many wizard spells will be available etc.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Just came across this game, and wow pretty exciting stuff, this looks like another direction for a mmorg. Removing dungeon reward control from the author of custom dungeon creators is one of those 'why did we not think of it before' moments. Genius, looking forward to this.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ooh I could remake my favourite dungeons from other classic mmorgs ( or someone will!)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by LordOfPit

I just hope Cryptic learns from the advice the STO UGC community has been giving them since the Foundry's closed beta!

If I come to NWO and see a Foundry where I cannot:

1. Create objects the player can pick up and place in their inventory and then utilize in the mission.
    2. Create actual scripts for NPC behavior that takes into account player actions as well as player dialog choices.
    3. Export my content out to another Author so they can use my designs and import content from others authors who wish to share their work with me.
    Then I'll be highly disappointed because we've been asking Cryptic for these (and more) features since 2010!

If pigs only flew. Day dream all you want about what it should be, while I agree. I'll just say that  what you want is way beyond what Cryptic is capable of from the technicl standpoint. They can barely get the NPC's in their other games to preform even the most rudimentary actions. From a business standpoint the model would fail, 2 reasons.

Firstly to fabricate all the items someone might want to use in a mission would be overly labor intensive. This works in old days because the code was turned over to modders who did some fantastic stuff. Cryptic wants to monetize this they have no intention of having modders do anything.

Secondly , to be able export content to other authors gets to the whole monetization point.  What you want is the original NwN, and that ain't happening ever again , unfortunately .

Disappoint is the trend in game design nowadays. Use to be that modders were what extended a games life and possibly profiblity . Now they are viewed as a profit stealing plague by the industry.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Sounds great
  • MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    Champions Online was awful as well as STO. So all of a sudden Neverwinter is going to be good ? Ok it can happen, anything is possible but that have a horrible track record. Why will this be any different ?
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    This is a great, great idea but I'm wondering about something.  Is there going to be some kind of voting process to seperate the decent player-creations from the incredible ones?  I mean it seems there needs to be a way of weeding out certain ones.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by MrReality
    Champions Online was awful as well as STO. So all of a sudden Neverwinter is going to be good ? Ok it can happen, anything is possible but that have a horrible track record. Why will this be any different ?

It won't be.

And that was before Cryptic was sold to a Chinese P2W company.

But people in the hype business have to hype what is available....

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I dont even know why people are looking forward to this, they have money to burn? Cryptic is full of crap, I see the brand name=I don't get the game. have fun with ur next pay to win game.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    There will be a voting process for user generated content. But I think you need to keep your thinking cap firmly on when downloading anything. Don't just rely on votes, bit like democracy really. :)
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What sort of pvp does it have? If its just your wow style tupperware stuff, sorry not interested.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by zethcarn
    This is a great, great idea but I'm wondering about something.  Is there going to be some kind of voting process to seperate the decent player-creations from the incredible ones?  I mean it seems there needs to be a way of weeding out certain ones.

You can check the STO version, most likely the Neverwinter one will be similar on this matter. In STO when you finish a user-generated mission, a pop-up window comes up (but it's not mandatory, you can close it right away if you want to). In this window you can:

rate the mission (1-5, when you searching missions by quality, the result list is based on these ratings)

give a review (readable to anyone, so when you find a mission which seems interesting, you can read the reviews of other players. Also you can point out bugs, factual errors, etc to the creator in this box)

give a tip if you like (not much, only a few dilly, so it won't be the base of the creators wealth :) )

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by zethcarn

You can check the STO version, most likely the Neverwinter one will be similar on this matter. In STO when you finish a user-generated mission, a pop-up window comes up (but it's not mandatory, you can close it right away if you want to). In this window you can:

rate the mission (1-5, when you searching missions by quality, the result list is based on these ratings)

give a review (readable to anyone, so when you find a mission which seems interesting, you can read the reviews of other players. Also you can point out bugs, factual errors, etc to the creator in this box)

give a tip if you like (not much, only a few dilly, so it won't be the base of the creators wealth :) )

Sounds good. Thanks for the information.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

If this is going to be the same peice of garbage that the STO Foundry is, I will save my money for something else. If they want a truely EPIC game they will follow the course Bioware did in 2002..don't just let people build 'episodes' let them build WORLDS. Some of the abilities of BW's NWN1 that if Cryptics Neverwinter allowed I would be drooling over it.

1.) Private server runnable under Windows and Linux

2.) MySQL link to game data so you could have leaderboards and monster data on websites.

3.) A DECENT scripting system, not like the dumbed down version in STO Foundry

If the NW Foundry is going to be a POS like the STO one is.. If Cryptic is going to try to hype that they will be better than Biowares NWN1 / Aurora Toolset I will give it a pass.

(Former authour of a huge 700+ area NWN1 world that had custom scripted areas, spawns, treasure, encounters, custom creatures based on Dragonlance - this was Ansalon - The World of Krynn)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

The Player created content sounds really good....until a lvl 1 fighter is handed a +5 Vorpal sword! LOL Hope they have things in place to prevent this from happening.

***Raving Rabbid is still wtg for WOD online!!!!*****

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• GameveteranGameveteran Member Posts: 9

Long story short, it's using an updated Foundry that is heads and shoulders above the current STO Foundry. It uses in-game only monsters and treasures so no exploiting is done. This means you play the game in the MMO world so no private servers either. While the games are currently instanced, the wishlist of having public missions is being looked into for the Foundry in NW.

However, the aspects of supporting multiple linked missions (Campaigns,) branching/looping dialog trees, seamlessly connected rooms and other features that used to take hours in Aurora that now can be done in minutes by drag and drop and auto populate, (before advanced features are even used) is a great offering for novice and expert modders.

And in conclusion, a lot of the "fails" that Cryptic gets is actually due to Atari's cheap and fast forced mandates. Look at DDO and AoC to see their fingerprints on massive mistakes at launches, and how they almost did it again by the forced Co-op. Let Cryptic learn from its mistakes and failure on its own and give them a shot to show what PWE is allowing them to do with support from a real publisher.

And if they do the same things as before, then they will earn what they give. But if they shine in innovation released from prior shackles and narrow-minded thinking, then they will be innovators once again.

And sorry gillrmn for me using the A-word

GameVeteran

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    For thge record, the "original Neverwinter Nights" was released on AOL in 1994 and was produced by Stomfront Studios. I am excited about this newest iteration and the tools it offers players. I'm leery because I don't have a great deal of confidence in PWE. Taking a wait and see attitude.