Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Star Wars Galaxies 2 be possible now??

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

Lol does your friend work at Zenimax? They seem to think a lot of things aren't possible over there...

To answer your question, SOE still has EQ next and some current projects to finish before they can even think about SWG2. I'm not saying its not possible, just that it wont happen for a long, long time, unless someone buys the rights or something.

The worst news any swg fan could get is that a part 2 was coming, but it was coming via soe...they killed a great game once, why let them do it again.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Sandbox
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by lizardbones Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.
    It's the other way around. I fixed that for you.

Meh. Neither game came close to what the developers, publishers or Lucas Arts wanted. SWToR is making more money than the monthly expenses, and I would assume SWG did the same or it would have closed sooner but that doesn't mean the games are doing or did 'good'. Doesn't matter how it's said though, nothing about SWG and SWToR would indicate that there's any good reason to make a third SW MMORPG.

If another SW MMORPG gets made, it's going to have to be on the game's merits, not on the SW franchise. It's really doubtful in my eyes that this would happen coming from Paradox Interactive.

If, I say if, SWTOR are making more money than the monthly expenses, that's because the are running a live support team now after all the lay offs. No way the investors will ever get profit or their investment back. That's a huge difference compared to SWG. SWG did make profit, even after the NGE.

And for the record, SWG having 200-300k subscribers for the 30 first months during 2003-2005 brought in more money than SWTOR with a max of 1.7 millions subscribers for a short period of times (few months only).

And there are a reason for this; SWG gave you a gaming experience, SWTOR was just plain business.

When I was in school we use to debate what real profit is.  You say SWTOR is making more than their monthly expenses, but how did that happen?  A company has x amount of employees, x amount of servers, x amount of costs and those numbers are greater than the expenses.  So someone comes in and fires x amount of employees, gets rid of x amount of server cost and now the company is making money.  Is this a success?  A success would be that they kept making money without making major cuts, any company can make themselves profitable if they want.  A company that has 200 stores and is losing money could get rid of 199 and then say they are profitable...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.
    Meh. Neither game came close to what the developers, publishers or Lucas Arts wanted. SWToR is making more money than the monthly expenses, and I would assume SWG did the same or it would have closed sooner but that doesn't mean the games are doing or did 'good'. Doesn't matter how it's said though, nothing about SWG and SWToR would indicate that there's any good reason to make a third SW MMORPG. If another SW MMORPG gets made, it's going to have to be on the game's merits, not on the SW franchise. It's really doubtful in my eyes that this would happen coming from Paradox Interactive.  
    If, I say if, SWTOR are making more money than the monthly expenses, that's because the are running a live support team now after all the lay offs. No way the investors will ever get profit or their investment back. That's a huge difference compared to SWG. SWG did make profit, even after the NGE.

And for the record, SWG having 200-300k subscribers for the 30 first months during 2003-2005 brought in more money than SWTOR with a max of 1.7 millions subscribers for a short period of times (few months only).

And there are a reason for this; SWG gave you a gaming experience, SWTOR was just plain business.

There's a difference between making more than monthly expenses, and making as much money as has been projected in financial reports. If the game is making money, but not as much as they projected, they will reorganize, lay people off, etc. They told their investors it's making money, and they can be sued if they lie, so they have evidence of some sort that the game is making money on a monthly basis. They did reorganize and they did lay people off, so the game made less than they projected. They had to remove expenses to get the game more inline with projections, whether it was making money or not.

It doesn't matter what SWG made, it wasn't enough. That's what you can say about pretty much any factoid a developer or investor will look at in regards to SWG or SWToR. Even if {factoid} was good, it wasn't good enough. Retention? Not good enough. Sales? Not good enough. Nothing about either game did what it was projected to do.

Here are some reasons why another developer will not take on another Star Wars themed MMORPG.

One, it can't be done cheaply. Lucas Arts owns the IP, and they're not going to let anyone build a $10 million MMORPG based on Star Wars. They are also going to expect to get paid, so the cost goes up just by basing the game off of the Star Wars IP. A $50 million game will now cost $67 million by being based off of the Star Wars IP. That cuts out a lot of developers right there.

Two, neither Star Wars based MMORPG has achieved the goals set for it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, but they're batting 0 for 2. The Star Wars IP itself does not lead to success. Which leads us to the third reason.

Three, people won't shut up about the past games. It's bad enough when a game has a unique IP, but nobody will be able to release another Star Wars based MMORPG without it being compared to the last two. No one will be able to look at a third one without thinking that the last two failed. I realize 'failed' is a somewhat subjective term, but that's what will roll through a lot of heads if they see another Star Wars MMORPG.

I'm sure there are other, more likely reasons, like Lucas Arts just isn't going to license another Star Wars MMORPG, but these three are nebulous enough to be posted on an internet forum.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by stragen001 No. How many times. No. SWG was dying a long time before SWTOR released due to the way it was handled by SOE. It was like an old sick fleabitten mangy horse. The kindest thing to do was to shoot it. There is no market for a game like SWG anymore(despite what you may see on this site, but MMORPG.com is like the last bastion for SWG fanboys) - that is what prompted the NGE, excluding the few hardcore fanboys that all descended on MMORPG.com, no one wanted to play the game how it was. The masses did not want to play Pre-CU and Pre-NGE SWG, thats why those "upgrades" were introduced in the first place.  Unfortunately SOE screwed up the implementation of those changes so incredibly badly that it is still considered the most epic fail in the history of MMOs to this day  
    There may not be an official market for SWG but there can be for a SWG 2, or a MMO in the Original Trilogy timeline, one with an up to date engine.

LA gave the IP to SOE, then they gave it to Bioware, next they will try it again themselves. 3rd time lucky?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by stragen001 No. How many times. No. SWG was dying a long time before SWTOR released due to the way it was handled by SOE. It was like an old sick fleabitten mangy horse. The kindest thing to do was to shoot it. There is no market for a game like SWG anymore(despite what you may see on this site, but MMORPG.com is like the last bastion for SWG fanboys) - that is what prompted the NGE, excluding the few hardcore fanboys that all descended on MMORPG.com, no one wanted to play the game how it was. The masses did not want to play Pre-CU and Pre-NGE SWG, thats why those "upgrades" were introduced in the first place.  Unfortunately SOE screwed up the implementation of those changes so incredibly badly that it is still considered the most epic fail in the history of MMOs to this day  
    There may not be an official market for SWG but there can be for a SWG 2, or a MMO in the Original Trilogy timeline, one with an up to date engine.

LA gave the IP to SOE, then they gave it to Bioware, next they will try it again themselves. 3rd time lucky?

Meh. Neither game came close to what the developers, publishers or Lucas Arts wanted. SWToR is making more money than the monthly expenses, and I would assume SWG did the same or it would have closed sooner but that doesn't mean the games are doing or did 'good'. Doesn't matter how it's said though, nothing about SWG and SWToR would indicate that there's any good reason to make a third SW MMORPG. If another SW MMORPG gets made, it's going to have to be on the game's merits, not on the SW franchise. It's really doubtful in my eyes that this would happen coming from Paradox Interactive.  

There's a difference between making more than monthly expenses, and making as much money as has been projected in financial reports. If the game is making money, but not as much as they projected, they will reorganize, lay people off, etc. They told their investors it's making money, and they can be sued if they lie, so they have evidence of some sort that the game is making money on a monthly basis. They did reorganize and they did lay people off, so the game made less than they projected. They had to remove expenses to get the game more inline with projections, whether it was making money or not.

It doesn't matter what SWG made, it wasn't enough. That's what you can say about pretty much any factoid a developer or investor will look at in regards to SWG or SWToR. Even if {factoid} was good, it wasn't good enough. Retention? Not good enough. Sales? Not good enough. Nothing about either game did what it was projected to do.

Here are some reasons why another developer will not take on another Star Wars themed MMORPG.

One, it can't be done cheaply. Lucas Arts owns the IP, and they're not going to let anyone build a $10 million MMORPG based on Star Wars. They are also going to expect to get paid, so the cost goes up just by basing the game off of the Star Wars IP. A $50 million game will now cost $67 million by being based off of the Star Wars IP. That cuts out a lot of developers right there.

Two, neither Star Wars based MMORPG has achieved the goals set for it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, but they're batting 0 for 2. The Star Wars IP itself does not lead to success. Which leads us to the third reason.

Three, people won't shut up about the past games. It's bad enough when a game has a unique IP, but nobody will be able to release another Star Wars based MMORPG without it being compared to the last two. No one will be able to look at a third one without thinking that the last two failed. I realize 'failed' is a somewhat subjective term, but that's what will roll through a lot of heads if they see another Star Wars MMORPG.

I'm sure there are other, more likely reasons, like Lucas Arts just isn't going to license another Star Wars MMORPG, but these three are nebulous enough to be posted on an internet forum.

That is why I said LA will do a MMO themselves next

They already said they are not letting 3rd party developers do their games any more, whether it costs 3rd party devs a lot or not

There may not be an official market for SWG but there can be for a SWG 2, or a MMO in the Original Trilogy timeline, one with an up to date engine.   LA gave the IP to SOE, then they gave it to Bioware, next they will try it again themselves. 3rd time lucky?  

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Sandbox Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Sandbox Originally posted by lizardbones Nothing is impossible, but SWG or SWG2 is highly unlikely. There's no particular reason for a development company to do it. SWToR didn't make money and SWG, while profitable, isn't anything to write home about.
    If, I say if, SWTOR are making more money than the monthly expenses, that's because the are running a live support team now after all the lay offs. No way the investors will ever get profit or their investment back. That's a huge difference compared to SWG. SWG did make profit, even after the NGE.   And for the record, SWG having 200-300k subscribers for the 30 first months during 2003-2005 brought in more money than SWTOR with a max of 1.7 millions subscribers for a short period of times (few months only). And there are a reason for this; SWG gave you a gaming experience, SWTOR was just plain business.
    There's a difference between making more than monthly expenses, and making as much money as has been projected in financial reports. If the game is making money, but not as much as they projected, they will reorganize, lay people off, etc. They told their investors it's making money, and they can be sued if they lie, so they have evidence of some sort that the game is making money on a monthly basis. They did reorganize and they did lay people off, so the game made less than they projected. They had to remove expenses to get the game more inline with projections, whether it was making money or not. It doesn't matter what SWG made, it wasn't enough. That's what you can say about pretty much any factoid a developer or investor will look at in regards to SWG or SWToR. Even if {factoid} was good, it wasn't good enough. Retention? Not good enough. Sales? Not good enough. Nothing about either game did what it was projected to do. Here are some reasons why another developer will not take on another Star Wars themed MMORPG. One, it can't be done cheaply. Lucas Arts owns the IP, and they're not going to let anyone build a $10 million MMORPG based on Star Wars. They are also going to expect to get paid, so the cost goes up just by basing the game off of the Star Wars IP. A $50 million game will now cost $67 million by being based off of the Star Wars IP. That cuts out a lot of developers right there. Two, neither Star Wars based MMORPG has achieved the goals set for it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, but they're batting 0 for 2. The Star Wars IP itself does not lead to success. Which leads us to the third reason. Three, people won't shut up about the past games. It's bad enough when a game has a unique IP, but nobody will be able to release another Star Wars based MMORPG without it being compared to the last two. No one will be able to look at a third one without thinking that the last two failed. I realize 'failed' is a somewhat subjective term, but that's what will roll through a lot of heads if they see another Star Wars MMORPG. I'm sure there are other, more likely reasons, like Lucas Arts just isn't going to license another Star Wars MMORPG, but these three are nebulous enough to be posted on an internet forum.  

They already said they are not letting 3rd party developers do their games any more, whether it costs 3rd party devs a lot or not

Would you really want to play an MMORPG written by Lucas Arts? Well, now that I think about it, a Legos Star Wars MMORPG might be pretty cool. A cell shaded one might be OK too, graphics wise.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Is it possible, yes.

will it happen, no

If, I say if, SWTOR are making more money than the monthly expenses, that's because the are running a live support team now after all the lay offs. No way the investors will ever get profit or their investment back. That's a huge difference compared to SWG. SWG did make profit, even after the NGE.   And for the record, SWG having 200-300k subscribers for the 30 first months during 2003-2005 brought in more money than SWTOR with a max of 1.7 millions subscribers for a short period of times (few months only). And there are a reason for this; SWG gave you a gaming experience, SWTOR was just plain business.
    There's a difference between making more than monthly expenses, and making as much money as has been projected in financial reports. If the game is making money, but not as much as they projected, they will reorganize, lay people off, etc. They told their investors it's making money, and they can be sued if they lie, so they have evidence of some sort that the game is making money on a monthly basis. They did reorganize and they did lay people off, so the game made less than they projected. They had to remove expenses to get the game more inline with projections, whether it was making money or not. It doesn't matter what SWG made, it wasn't enough. That's what you can say about pretty much any factoid a developer or investor will look at in regards to SWG or SWToR. Even if {factoid} was good, it wasn't good enough. Retention? Not good enough. Sales? Not good enough. Nothing about either game did what it was projected to do. Here are some reasons why another developer will not take on another Star Wars themed MMORPG. One, it can't be done cheaply. Lucas Arts owns the IP, and they're not going to let anyone build a $10 million MMORPG based on Star Wars. They are also going to expect to get paid, so the cost goes up just by basing the game off of the Star Wars IP. A $50 million game will now cost $67 million by being based off of the Star Wars IP. That cuts out a lot of developers right there. Two, neither Star Wars based MMORPG has achieved the goals set for it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, but they're batting 0 for 2. The Star Wars IP itself does not lead to success. Which leads us to the third reason. Three, people won't shut up about the past games. It's bad enough when a game has a unique IP, but nobody will be able to release another Star Wars based MMORPG without it being compared to the last two. No one will be able to look at a third one without thinking that the last two failed. I realize 'failed' is a somewhat subjective term, but that's what will roll through a lot of heads if they see another Star Wars MMORPG. I'm sure there are other, more likely reasons, like Lucas Arts just isn't going to license another Star Wars MMORPG, but these three are nebulous enough to be posted on an internet forum.  

Would you really want to play an MMORPG written by Lucas Arts? Well, now that I think about it, a Legos Star Wars MMORPG might be pretty cool. A cell shaded one might be OK too, graphics wise.

Dunno until they do one. LA have not done a MMO before It could end up being their forte. Thought Bioware would have nailed it but didn't, as their strength is single player games. Even if Blizzard do another MMO, I doubt it will be as good as WOW.

ie It does not matter who does a SW MMO, it will probabbly end up just as bad, but at least if LA do one, they will be able to add stuff pronto, unlike a 3rd party who has to check LA if it is OK to do stuff to the MMO

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Muerte_X
    Please allow me this opportunity to shamelesly plug The Repopulation.. though I did not play SWG I think it's the closest thing you are going to find to SWG2. (No affiliation to the game, just a fan of the direction it is taking)

Isn't The Repopulation being made by ex-SWG devs? Also this is another shameless plug for The Repopulation since it sounds really great in concept. I'm hoping it lives up to it's promises because it could be great in the way SWG was pre-NGE for it's sandbox qualities. SWG's setting in the timeline sucked though; it could have been so much better had SWG been set in an earlier era like SWTOR or been set to take place after RotJ.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Anything is possible.

Money talks.

If the money talk loud enough.... then maybe.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Anything is possible.

Money talks.

If the money talk loud enough.... then maybe.

We should start a Paypal Donation Fund to buy a license from LA to opperate and host and develop SW:G from November 15th 2011 on.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Currently, I am in Fallen Earth and that other "Galaxies" mmo that isn't officially approved of... *shifts eyes toward galaxies install discs*
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Ryukan
    Originally posted by Muerte_X
    Please allow me this opportunity to shamelesly plug The Repopulation.. though I did not play SWG I think it's the closest thing you are going to find to SWG2. (No affiliation to the game, just a fan of the direction it is taking)

Isn't The Repopulation being made by ex-SWG devs? Also this is another shameless plug for The Repopulation since it sounds really great in concept. I'm hoping it lives up to it's promises because it could be great in the way SWG was pre-NGE for it's sandbox qualities. SWG's setting in the timeline sucked though; it could have been so much better had SWG been set in an earlier era like SWTOR or been set to take place after RotJ.

Err that's a big fat no to the devs ever working on SWG saying that though there is a big influence on Repop,but regarding engines Hero is very capable but it is still in constant development  Hero devs next goal in development I think is codename Sapphire which I would assume will be the most stable release according to Idea Fabriks website.

p>
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Repop is the closest we are gonna get to swg2

I dont think those devs realize the zerg thats gonna hit their game on launch

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Soe has clearly stated it will only focus on inhouse brands for the near future
    Originally posted by hercules
    Soe has clearly stated it will only focus on inhouse brands for the near future

Until they partnered with ProSieben, who now seem to be pulling their strings like LA did

Also LA said they are not going to be dealing with 3rd party devs either, with Bioware being the last.

If there is going to be another SW MMO it will be by LA themselves ...  unless they change their stance too

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Repop is the closest we are gonna get to swg2

I dont think those devs realize the zerg thats gonna hit their game on launch

It won't be as big as you think, but then admittedly thats my opinion and you have yours time will tell.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Op the short and simple answer to your thread question is, No.

Overall i'd say Star War is a dying IP. Most gamers these days weren't even born yet when Star Wars came out.

What has been done recently to increase its fan base? The clone wars cartoon? :P

Originally posted by hercules Soe has clearly stated it will only focus on inhouse brands for the near future
    Until they partnered with ProSieben, who now seem to be pulling their strings like LA did

Also LA said they are not going to be dealing with 3rd party devs either, with Bioware being the last.

If there is going to be another SW MMO it will be by LA themselves ...  unless they change their stance too

I think everything said by any of these companies should have "for now" appended to it. You never really know what they're going to decide in the future, and it doesn't make sense to stick to past decisions when current events dictate that you do something different "right now".

However, I don't see a new SW mmorpg being made anytime soon, and I especially don't see a remake of SWG getting made, ever.

Originally posted by winter

What has been done recently to increase its fan base? The clone wars cartoon? :P

Just the Original Trilogy is enough.

My nephew and niece watched it, aged 5 and 6, a few years ago, and now avid fans of it, who do not shut about it. I had no influence in their decison! :P

Another 10 years and they will be able to play and pay for MMOs. It will be a shame if there is no SW MMO around then

Originally posted by hercules Soe has clearly stated it will only focus on inhouse brands for the near future

I think everything said by any of these companies should have "for now" appended to it. You never really know what they're going to decide in the future, and it doesn't make sense to stick to past decisions when current events dictate that you do something different "right now".

However, I don't see a new SW mmorpg being made anytime soon, and I especially don't see a remake of SWG getting made, ever.

Who says anything about about a remake? Is GW2 the same as GW1?  Is EQ2 the same as EQ1? Is FF XIV the same as FF XI?

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by winter

Op the short and simple answer to your thread question is, No.

Overall i'd say Star War is a dying IP. Most gamers these days weren't even born yet when Star Wars came out.

Dying IP? Really? I'm guessing you don't have Kids...image

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

personally ANY sci-fi game with SWG NGE futures will do the trick for me

what i was exiting was the housing system. so rich so huge so versatile

Repopulation doesnt seems to have housing close to SWG. I want to make wrong but i dotn think so.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN