Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of GW2's greatest faults

Comments

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Jason1989
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

Why not? 

Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 

Why not?  It's being provided.  You're on the internet and that is how the information is being communicated.  They also provide periodic updates on their wiki.  If you want up to date information then use Facebook and Twitter if not then do without.

What if I don't want to have to surf the internet for info?  Maybe they should call me personally and explain each update since some of us don't like browsing the net.

First of all I don't have a twitter account, I have no desire to, and I never will have one. Facebook and twitter are not professional. They are fine if you want to use it for marketing and such, but as a central hub to communicate buisness related material... these are not the places.

One thing Diablo 3 did right (if anything) is their forums. They have constant feedback and information for the community all in one place. Posting on GW2's facebook wall about an issue I have with the game is not the same as creating a thread on a forum. Not to mention the cap on those posts. These social media sites are just not professional or made to replace a game's offical forum. Didn't think this was that hard of a concept to grasp.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT TO READ THEIR TWITTER UPDATES.  GET OVER IT

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

Arenanet has communicated more than any other company that I have ever followed.  If you refuse to listen to their communication channels, that's your own fault.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Why not? 

Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 

Why not?  It's being provided.  You're on the internet and that is how the information is being communicated.  They also provide periodic updates on their wiki.  If you want up to date information then use Facebook and Twitter if not then do without.

What if I don't want to have to surf the internet for info?  Maybe they should call me personally and explain each update since some of us don't like browsing the net.

First of all I don't have a twitter account, I have no desire to, and I never will have one. Facebook and twitter are not professional. They are fine if you want to use it for marketing and such, but as a central hub to communicate buisness related material... these are not the places.

One thing Diablo 3 did right (if anything) is their forums. They have constant feedback and information for the community all in one place. Posting on GW2's facebook wall about an issue I have with the game is not the same as creating a thread on a forum. Not to mention the cap on those posts. These social media sites are just not professional or made to replace a game's offical forum. Didn't think this was that hard of a concept to grasp.

Well it's obvious you don't have a Facebook or Twitter otherwise you would know that pretty much every company is using it for the same reasons ANet is using it.  You people act like ANet is the first or something...

• Jason1989Jason1989 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

Why not? 

YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT TO READ THEIR TWITTER UPDATES.  GET OVER IT

I am simply creating a discussion on what I think one of the game's faults is. Why post something like that if you have nothing constructive to say? I am not on here saying GW2 sucks and you shouldn't buy it... just pointing something out. Maybe you should get over the fact that people will have things to say about this game that aren't always positive. This forum is here to discuss various aspects of the game and if you can't handle those discussions then get off here.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Why not? 

Because 3rd party social media sites are not professional means of communication, and you shouldn't expect your costumers to use myspace, twitter, facebook, or whatever the current fad that teenage american girls are flocking to is.

If they can make a bazillion twitter comments each day, and post pictures on Facebook, then they can create a simple HTML page with up-to-date information and link it from the launcher. It's not that hard, heck, use the Wiki and link it if you have to. At this point even a link to forum announcements will do.

A couple of things.

1. Those are not fads used by teenage girls, if you think thats all they are you are out of touch and that explains why you think it is so unprofessional to use them.

2. There is a link on the launcher. It amazes me how few people seem to know what they are complaining about, but damn they love to complain.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Why not? 

YOU DO IF YOU WANT TO POST SOMETHING! LEARN TO READ!!!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

The website links to the wiki page for info. As long as the homepage is directing  you to the correct place to check updates, I don't see a problem there.

Forums are another issue entirely. In the past I've played games that refuse to provide official forums due to the amount of effort it requires to the maintain, and the implied responsibility on the dev staff to answer player concerns. Some developers don't want players to expect that kind of access, and the simple answer is just not to have forums. Fan forums suffice in most cases.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Why not? 

Because 3rd party social media sites are not professional means of communication, and you shouldn't expect your costumers to use myspace, twitter, facebook, or whatever the current fad that teenage american girls are flocking to is.

If they can make a bazillion twitter comments each day, and post pictures on Facebook, then they can create a simple HTML page with up-to-date information and link it from the launcher. It's not that hard, heck, use the Wiki and link it if you have to. At this point even a link to forum announcements will do.

A couple of things.

1. Those are not fads used by teenage girls, if you think thats all they are you are out of touch and that explains why you think it is so unprofessional to use them.

2. There is a link on the launcher. It amazes me how few people seem to know what they are complaining about, but damn they love to complain.

My launcher has no such link.

Why not? 

I am simply creating a discussion on what I think one of the game's faults is. Why post something like that if you have nothing constructive to say? I am not on here saying GW2 sucks and you shouldn't buy it... just pointing something out. Maybe you should get over the fact that people will have things to say about this game that aren't always positive. This forum is here to discuss various aspects of the game and if you can't handle those discussions then get off here.

I love when people complain about their right to complain by telling other people not to discuss it. You pointed something out and the poster you quoted was pointing out a very IMPORTANT fact to the people bitching, you can read the twitter update WITHOUT having a twitter account. Since part of your OP was whining about that, his pointing that out should have been good for you. But because his point takes away from your whine you claim he cant handle your OP. Clearly you cant handle facts and reasoning.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Wolvards

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. 

I don't remember reading anywhere that forums were a feature of Guild Wars 2.

No but forums are a basic part of any basic MMO, so it is unprofessional to not have them working 

Did you create your account just to hack on GW2? They have said why they turned the forums off. We all know why and I accept their reasoning. But then again I am not here to just hack on this game post after post after post.

Oh sorry .. YOU accept it so it must be right and everyone else wrong ? .. Seriously forums are the first thing that any game company get's working before they even have beta's .

and the " if you don't fawn over the game you must hate it " arguement is old and childish . I paid the same amount of money as you did for the game so i have every right to voice my opinion whether you like it  or not.

Doesn't mean my opinion is right  anymore than your opinion makes you right .. I'm not sure what's worse .. blind haters or blind fanbois averse to any critisism of their baby 

Why not? 

A couple of things.

After you put in your name and password but before you click the PLAY button the launcher lists the state of the game link. Click it and it tells you the recent things going on. My launcher has it your will too. Unless you have the auto play button clicked all the time then maybe it bypasses so make sure you have to click play and you should get the same thing I get.

You know I just thought of an anology for this.  Some of you might agree and some might not. Granted this anology only portrains to the US.  Wouldn't this be similar to complaining about the Presidential Candidates giving their speeches on TV rather then posting them in the Newspaper?  While sure Forums aren't going the way of the newspaper it still takes a bit more effort to look in the newspaper then it would to just turn on the TV just like it would take a little more effort to browse to a forum topic then it would to just open up the Facebook/Twitter app on your phone or something.

Why not? 

I love when people complain about their right to complain by telling other people not to discuss it. You pointed something out and the poster you quoted was pointing out a very IMPORTANT fact to the people bitching, you can read the twitter update WITHOUT having a twitter account. Since part of your OP was whining about that, his pointing that out should have been good for you. But because his point takes away from your whine you claim he cant handle your OP. Clearly you cant handle facts and reasoning.

Maybe you should read my post again.

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. 

No but forums are a basic part of any basic MMO, so it is unprofessional to not have them working 

Did you create your account just to hack on GW2? They have said why they turned the forums off. We all know why and I accept their reasoning. But then again I am not here to just hack on this game post after post after post.

Oh sorry .. YOU accept it so it must be right and everyone else wrong ? .. Seriously forums are the first thing that any game company get's working before they even have beta's .

and the " if you don't fawn over the game you must hate it " arguement is old and childish . I paid the same amount of money as you did for the game so i have every right to voice my opinion whether you like it  or not.

Doesn't mean my opinion is right  anymore than your opinion makes you right .. I'm not sure what's worse .. blind haters or blind fanbois averse to any critisism of their baby 

Its not my baby, but I do find people like you with nothing good to say to be trolls. Yes you supposedly paid as much as I did. I find great things about this game and I happily discuss them. There are also parts that annoy me, but I dont make post after post just about those because thats what haters do. I am not a blind fanboy and I am not a blind hater. I live in reality.

Why not? 

A couple of things.

After you put in your name and password but before you click the PLAY button the launcher lists the state of the game link. Click it and it tells you the recent things going on. My launcher has it your will too. Unless you have the auto play button clicked all the time then maybe it bypasses so make sure you have to click play and you should get the same thing I get.

Thanks. This helps. Had no idea about the update page. Still would like patch notes though.

Also saw a link to their forums they just opened apparently. Cool.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i cannot speak for your launcher but i assume the client has the same info

after I log into the launcher,  this is what I see

Check out our latest State of the Game update on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki for information about the most important issues we’re tracking with the Guild Wars 2 live service.

READ MORE

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/state-of-the-game-update-saturday-september-1-2012/?utm_source=client

if you have autoplay set to ON -- the game probably launches right past it

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    They've been posting A LOT on reddit and now the site has the info.
  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

First of all I don't have a twitter account, I have no desire to, and I never will have one. Facebook and twitter are not professional. They are fine if you want to use it for marketing and such, but as a central hub to communicate buisiness related material... these are not the places.

One thing Diablo 3 did right (if anything) is their forums. They have constant feedback and information for the community all in one place. Posting on GW2's facebook wall about an issue I have with the game is not the same as creating a thread on a forum. Not to mention the cap on those posts. These social media sites are just not professional or made to replace a game's official forum. Didn't think this was that hard of a concept to grasp.

Aka you want a platform to whine cry qq and troll from.

/bug in game works apparently

support tickets work eventually.

your opinions on what need to be different which I am sure you are eager to share (like it matters) will have to wait. Only valid issues will be addressed at this point. (ie important things that actually matter)

I dunno... judging by your word usage and placement I have a feeling you only bought the standard edition meaning you paid a third of what I paid for the game.  Just sayin'.  But then again you could argue that the extra cost I paid went to all the extras I got and not the game...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    It just seems unprofessional to rely too heavily on a 3rd party to relay info.  You'd think they'd want total control over that sort of thing, not to depend on the whims of Facebook, and however they muck up the way feeds are displayed or whatever else.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

A little amusing how peoples inability to obtain available information often leads to complaints because everyone has his/her own definition of exactly how they are supposed to be spoonfed with just the information they feel entitled to.

No matter how relevant or well presented information is, someone will always feel that they did not get the answers they wanted so back to 1. If the info they crave is present, the natural response seems to be: TL;DR.

OP, you must have limited experience with Anet: They are rather good at communicating with their playerbase. They are however, also rather good at prioritizing tasks at hand. You may be experiencing the result of that.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

Maybe you should get the word out.

Currently there is a huge presidential race in USA, where both camps are using the heck out of Twitter and FB.

Personally if FB and Twitter are good enough for that, I think it works for a video game....

Sorry, but the only reason for this is because Facebook and Twitter "personify" and describe "you" better to "them." Hence better targetted ads and better chance at "real" demographic numbers. If you don't believe me, look at the targetted ads that appear on each political page. It may scare you.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

So...

This thread is complaining about no ease of acces to patch notes that don't exist?

But not only do patch notes exist, they have a handy link to them on the launcher?

They also have a forum on their site that they keep updated?

And additionally to that they make comments via networking sites to keep up on activity?

So, what is being complained about again?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Halandir

A little amusing how peoples inability to obtain available information often leads to complaints because everyone has his/her own definition of exactly how they are supposed to be spoonfed with just the information they feel entitled to.

No matter how relevant or well presented information is, someone will always feel that they did not get the answers they wanted so back to 1. If the info they crave is present, the natural response seems to be: TL;DR.

OP, you must have limited experience with Anet: They are rather good at communicating with their playerbase. They are however, also rather good at prioritizing tasks at hand. You may be experiencing the result of that.

Come on that logic sucks, everyone knows ANET should stop working on making fixes to the game because getting forums up and running for people that are afraid of Twitter is way more important.

I'm not sure why ANET doesn't just link the updates to their webpage though, that would not take very much time but as been said if the information is out there for everyone to read(and everyone that has a computer and internet, which you must to play the game, has access to it) then at that point it is the playerbases fault for being uninformed and not ANETS