Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of GW2's greatest faults

Jason1989Jason1989 Member Posts: 28

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Jason1989

I don't believe a combination of Facebook/twitter posts is the proper place to do these things.

Why not? 

• FarzoFarzo Member Posts: 12
    Sorry, but ArenaNet is one of the best companies that actually communicate A LOT with their costumers, just because you can't bother reading Twitter or Facebook doesn't mean they are bad at it, it's your own fault.
  • xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

i agree with OP, i like seeing patch notes because it really helps me understand and asses the progression of a game.

as to "why not?": simple answer is that it is not at all professional and we should not be expected to have a facebook nor a twitter account to know the status of the game we are playing.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Is the lack of communcation from ArenaNet to the community. Everyday I log into and there is some small patch/files I download before playing. What are these? Whats being fixed? I don't know because there is no patch notes.

There is no official forum to communicate the issues the games has either.  Why?

I understand the Trading Post is down and thats fine I guess, but they need to have a place where they can communicate with us and say "We know its not working, we are doing this and it should be ready at this estimated time".

Maybe you should get the word out.

Currently there is a huge presidential race in USA, where both camps are using the heck out of Twitter and FB.

Personally if FB and Twitter are good enough for that, I think it works for a video game....

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I don't see the issue with using Twitter/Facebook for this since social media is the new norm and it's so much more convenient for both the end user and the company then fourm posts.
  • Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Why not? 

Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

Why not? 

Because not everyone wants to use Facebook/Twitter and they shouldn't have to in order to get information about the game they are playing.  They game should provide the information on their website. 

Not everyone wants to register for a forum.  They update their Wiki.  They can do what they like.  One thing that is good about the facebook is the anominity trolls are not as prevalent.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Give them a little time, has your game play improved or gotten worse? I believe the patches are pretty much all hot fixes. Atleast we know they are very busy trying to correct problems.

I think when things settle down there will be a lot better communication.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by xm522

i agree with OP, i like seeing patch notes because it really helps me understand and asses the progression of a game.

as to "why not?": simple answer is that it is not at all professional and we should not be expected to have a facebook nor a twitter account to know the status of the game we are playing.

When I go to log on there is a screen that tells me the latest sate of the game and when I click it it takes me to the information that the OP says does not exist.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

If I want to know what have changed I check this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just logged in and the TP is working fine. 

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Why not? 

Not everyone wants to register for a forum.  They update their Wiki.  They can do what they like.  One thing that is good about the facebook is the anominity trolls are not as prevalent.

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. Their forums have been up over previous beta weekends as a READ only, why can't they atleast give us that with the patch notes? I'm fine if they are ok with using twitter and faceplant, but i'm not huge into, and i'm only 20 years old. Social media is a debate for another forum, but from a professional company I expect a tad more.

Atleast give us read only forums with patch notes and support.

EDIT: seems we were given EXACTLY what I was asking for, haha, thanks for the wiki link above i didn't know that existed, and it lead me to a temporary GW2 support forum with everything i'm looking for.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Wolvards

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. 

I don't remember reading anywhere that forums were a feature of Guild Wars 2.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • FrongardeFrongarde Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I think you're complaining about the wrong stuff... what about their costumers service being  rubbish considering there's still people waiting for their hacked accounts to be fixed after weeks... some of those not even being able to log in since they first bought the product... i think this is more of a hot spot then patch notes that you can easly find on wiki...http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Nasa

If I want to know what have changed I check this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

This. There have been 2-3 updates a week with links right on the launcher. Click them and they take you to the wiki which they have been updating regularly.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I pretty much agree that using social media sites for "offical game announcements" is not the best of ideas. I wouldn't have a problem if they did that IN ADDITION to having a central location for game announcements.

I'd like to be able to go to the offical GW2 home page and get up to date, read patch notes, etc. instead of  browsing through hundreds of Twitter, Reddit and Facebook postings and comment.

Even their wiki announcements could use some improvements. Each day they add a game status update, but it looks the same every day. I know they updated it, and made changes. Maybe they should use a different font/color for the new updates so they stand out more. As it is, it LOOKS like all they did was hange the date (which is not what they did).

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. 

No but forums are a basic part of any basic MMO, so it is unprofessional to not have them working 

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

Why not? 

You don't have to use twitter to go read their updates.  Just put Guild wars 2 twitter into google and go to the page.  There you can read the updates just as easily as a forum and don't have to sign up for anything, actually prolly easier to navigate then trying to find on a forum.  I initially had concerns about ANETs communication a couple of days in but they really have done great in this area.  imo this is not a valid fault or concern.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

No but forums are a basic part of any basic MMO, so it is unprofessional to not have them working 

If I remember correcly I read in a ANET communication that forums are coming they did not put them in with Launch because they want all their resources going to making sure the game servers can support as much load as possible and not having to worry about Forum bandwidth load.  So unless I misread it the forums are coming as soon as server loads stabilize.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Why not? 

I still don't feel it's very professional. I bought the game, the forums were supposed to come with it. Their forums have been up over previous beta weekends as a READ only, why can't they atleast give us that with the patch notes? I'm fine if they are ok with using twitter and faceplant, but i'm not huge into, and i'm only 20 years old. Social media is a debate for another forum, but from a professional company I expect a tad more.

Atleast give us read only forums with patch notes and support.

EDIT: seems we were given EXACTLY what I was asking for, haha, thanks for the wiki link above i didn't know that existed, and it lead me to a temporary GW2 support forum with everything i'm looking for.

Isn't that the issue this thread is trying to discuss?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Here:  https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum

They just opened up the dev and support section of the forums.  Now you can go to their official forums for updates.  It's been 2 weeks,  I think they are doing a pretty good job at shoring up any launch issues on a consistent basis.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Did you create your account just to hack on GW2? They have said why they turned the forums off. We all know why and I accept their reasoning. But then again I am not here to just hack on this game post after post after post.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Why not? 

Why not?  It's being provided.  You're on the internet and that is how the information is being communicated.  They also provide periodic updates on their wiki.  If you want up to date information then use Facebook and Twitter if not then do without.

What if I don't want to have to surf the internet for info?  Maybe they should call me personally and explain each update since some of us don't like browsing the net.

Because 3rd party social media sites are not professional means of communication, and you shouldn't expect your costumers to use myspace, twitter, facebook, or whatever the current fad that teenage american girls are flocking to is.

If they can make a bazillion twitter comments each day, and post pictures on Facebook, then they can create a simple HTML page with up-to-date information and link it from the launcher. It's not that hard, heck, use the Wiki and link it if you have to. At this point even a link to forum announcements will do.

• Jason1989Jason1989 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Why not? 

Why not?  It's being provided.  You're on the internet and that is how the information is being communicated.  They also provide periodic updates on their wiki.  If you want up to date information then use Facebook and Twitter if not then do without.

What if I don't want to have to surf the internet for info?  Maybe they should call me personally and explain each update since some of us don't like browsing the net.

First of all I don't have a twitter account, I have no desire to, and I never will have one. Facebook and twitter are not professional. They are fine if you want to use it for marketing and such, but as a central hub to communicate buisiness related material... these are not the places.

One thing Diablo 3 did right (if anything) is their forums. They have constant feedback and information for the community all in one place. Posting on GW2's facebook wall about an issue I have with the game is not the same as creating a thread on a forum. Not to mention the cap on those posts. These social media sites are just not professional or made to replace a game's official forum. Didn't think this was that hard of a concept to grasp.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Who decided this?  What authority were they given to decide this?  I'm sorry but I disagree.  Of all the games I played I rarely visited the forums except to check patch notes and only because that was the only place the full patch notes were.