Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: SOE Announces Player Studio

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

SAN DIEGO - Sept. 6, 2012 -  Sony Online Entertainment, LLC (SOE) today announced Player Studio™, a new program that offers players the opportunity to create in-game items that can be sold in the marketplace of their favorite participating online game. The company also announced two new expansions to its long-running, landmark EverQuest® franchise with EverQuest®: Rain of Fear™ and EverQuest® II: Chains of Eternity™.

SOE's Player Studio invites players to download sample geometry for actual in-game objects and through the use of third party art tools, learn how to develop, design and personalize items of their own. Players will be encouraged to name and create a description for their item, explain how the item fits into the prospective game's ongoing narrative storyline, and submit it to SOE for review and possible inclusion in the SOE Marketplace. If selected, SOE will share 40 percent of the net amount it receives from the sale of these items with the player that created the item.

"For the first time in SOE history, players will be able to build and sell their own items, truly creating a unique, customizable online marketplace within our games," said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. "At SOE, we believe everyone is a gamer at heart, and our goal with Player Studio is to provide a platform on which our players can further explore their inner gamer while showcasing their passion for the games they love. We are looking forward to seeing our players' creativity come to life in an entirely new way."

Check out the full story here.

:p 

Comments

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

They made so many marketplace items for there games now instead of real content that there out of ideas now.

Hey guys can you develop items for us now so we can milk the playerbase we are just out of ideas!

Oh yea and next year can you make a new mmo for us we just go so damn lazy and have no creativity that we would like YOU the players to do are job for us thanks..

Your friends at SOE.

*Unreal* 

• smb916smb916 Member Posts: 5
    I just want EverQuest Next to be as hard and as bad  ass as EQ1, i want group play, massive raid and guild content and less catering to the solo player after all its a MMO.  people working as a team to acomplish goals build strong ties, and I am still in touch with players from EQ1 we all are just looking for a game to give us that feeling again and have yet to find it. EQ2 tried and dumbed down the game due to WoW.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by smb916
    I just want EverQuest Next to be as hard and as bad  ass as EQ1, i want group play, massive raid and guild content and less catering to the solo player after all its a MMO.  people working as a team to acomplish goals build strong ties, and I am still in touch with players from EQ1 we all are just looking for a game to give us that feeling again and have yet to find it. EQ2 tried and dumbed down the game due to WoW.

Well untill then,Vanguard will do nicely,it has for the last 5.6 years.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by smb916

Not gonna happen.

After the whole ProsiebenSat debacle for European players.... their terrible F2P model.... and now this.... just shows SOE really lost it.

I definitely not gonna touch any game from them anymore. I am totally done with this company.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

A great move by SOE and an excellent opportunity for creative gamers to either make some side cash or get a foot in the door on a possible career in the industry.  I love it!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    I like it, you have no idea how many players love to craft content, even if it's just an item.
  • KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Not impressed.  Why does this have to be for their marketplace and not crafters in the game?   Just a cash grab another design to make the game more profitable while directly slapping in game mechanics and complexity in the face. 

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

My first item will be Staff of Entire Zone Wipe!  Wipes the zone and gives you all the xp.  Reset timer of 30 seconds just so it's not overused hehe!  Just make sure you get to the zone with it before someone else does!!!

But in all reality, I am definately going to try this out.  It sounds like a lot of fun!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    I like it, you have no idea how many players love to craft content, even if it's just an item.

If it was for use ingame, but no.... it's exclusively for the marketplace to milk the players even further.

As you can bet $OE will take a good cut per sold item for themselves. Just like Blizzard does with Diablo III RMAH.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

A great move by SOE and an excellent opportunity for creative gamers to either make some side cash or get a foot in the door on a possible career in the industry.  I love it!

I suppose, except Second Life has been doing this all along so those creative types have already gone there to make money and get a foot in the door.

Minions of Mirth, a small indie MMO from years ago, also allowed players to create items and even creatures to be put into the game.

It is really just another case of a studio finding old ideas and shoving them into their game in hopes of it helping their numbers somehow. It is like CoH telling people to make quests for the game, worked out well for them...

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Kilrain

If it was for use ingame, but no.... it's exclusively for the marketplace to milk the players even further.

As you can bet $OE will take a good cut per sold item for themselves. Just like Blizzard does with Diablo III RMAH.

Worse.  SOE is going to take 60% of the cost.  This is per their official website information.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I suppose, except Second Life has been doing this all along so those creative types have already gone there to make money and get a foot in the door.

I guess you're right. There's no one left in the gaming community with talent or that may find this fun. *shrug* Oh, well. Nevermind then. Silly thought on my part.

...or maybe you're just a little black raincloud, sir.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Although a GENIUS move for their marketing department. This move shows SOE's true disconnection with the playerbase as a whole via their "Nickle & Dime" scheme to earn larger profits without actually doing anything for the product itself.

Planetside 2 looks more and more like a PayToWin mess now that the NDA has dropped (I've even played it for months, terrible product even for beta...completely driven around PayToWin), and now EQ:Next is looking to be a major "PayToWin" mess as well.

As of this moment I will never play a single SOE produced, or otherwise, product that even has their "touch".

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

I guess you're right. There's no one left in the gaming community with talent or that may find this fun. *shrug* Oh, well. Nevermind then. Silly thought on my part.

No just a realist.

This isn't anything new at all is what I was saying. You also aren't going to get a job in the industry because you created a sword that you put in the SOE store.

A few talented people will make a couple bucks off this even with SOE pulling off 60% of the profit which is absolutely absurd. However, most of those who do will already work in the computer art industry in some form and will use it as extra income.

The gaming industry has never hesitated to hire people with talent. They build resumes by either working on indie projects or by modding or by just building a lot of models/textures and showcasing their work. The avenues are already there so a store like this isn't suddenly going to open doors for tons of computer artists who are very talented yet overlooked.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Although a GENIUS move for their marketing department. This move shows SOE's true disconnection with the playerbase as a whole via their "Nickle & Dime" scheme to earn larger profits without actually doing anything for the product itself.

Planetside 2 looks more and more like a PayToWin mess now that the NDA has dropped (I've even played it for months, terrible product even for beta...completely driven around PayToWin), and now EQ:Next is looking to be a major "PayToWin" mess as well.

As of this moment I will never play a single SOE produced, or otherwise, product that even has their "touch".

You wouldn't even play one of their games for free?  There's enough crap in EQ1,  that you can do for free, to keep you busy for years.

It would be an ok idea if this wasn't Marketplace only...but even with it in Marketplace only I don't use cash shops so I don't really care.

• smb916smb916 Member Posts: 5
    I fell that if this was GW2 's idea the fourms would be a buzz. SOE has had great games over the years and are some of the most well rounded games i have ever played from solo, guild and crafting content along with guild halls and player housing, hands down no other game can compete on that level. Unfortunatey over the years to compete with newer games and WoW  thay have dumbed down the games and their F2P model is horriable.

No just a realist.

This isn't anything new at all is what I was saying. You also aren't going to get a job in the industry because you created a sword that you put in the SOE store.

A few talented people will make a couple bucks off this even with SOE pulling off 60% of the profit which is absolutely absurd. However, most of those who do will already work in the computer art industry in some form and will use it as extra income.

The gaming industry has never hesitated to hire people with talent. They build resumes by either working on indie projects or by modding or by just building a lot of models/textures and showcasing their work. The avenues are already there so a store like this isn't suddenly going to open doors for tons of computer artists who are very talented yet overlooked.

Where did I say that this was a first or that there weren't other ways for players to show off their work to devs? You're so rapt in pessimism that you've gone as far as to see a 40% cut for accepted content as a bad thing.

Holy cow, man. Welcome to Block.

No just a realist.

Where did I say that this was a first or that there weren't other ways for players to show off their work to devs? You're so rapt in pessimism that you've gone as far as to see a 40% cut for accepted content as a bad thing.

Holy cow, man. Welcome to Block.

40% for doing all the work is a VERY bad thing. You're so optimistic you can't even see that.

Even places like Amazon and other large internet marketplaces only take 30% leaving 70% for the creator. SOE is asking you to create content for their game to help them profit more and get more players into their games and then taking a 60% cut from your work on top of that.

Anyone should be able to see that as a bad thing.

What you did say was you saw it as a way for people to get a foot in the door and decided to ignore all my reasoning as to why that isn't the case. But you are right, everything in the world is great, SOE is awesomesauce, and losing 60% of the cut is a fantastic thing that every human being should be happy with. Please pass the drugs.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I would really love to know exactly what goes on at SoE and especially what goes on between Smedley and his higher ups.

Im a SoE supporter, but don't think this is a great move.  EQ2 probably has around 100-125k playing, so its not like anyone will make significant money off those items, players or SoE.  Just make them drops.  I don't mind the cash shop at all and i like that SoE is experimenting heavily with user created content, but this is kind of pushing it IMO.  Actually I would like the idea better if the player got to choose to make a amrketplace item and get the 40%, or make it a drop and get nothing, just give SoE free weapon design but know that the boss of badassedness dropped YOUR greatsword.

Bigger issue is that EQ2 shouldnt have an expansion this year, AoD was so content lite it hasnt caught up yet.  I strongly think Sony pressures SoE to put out an expansion each year for both games, ready or not.  And i don't think they are helped out with development money from Sony so PS2 and EQnext money has to come from somewhere, hence the cash shop creativity.  But I really do not know.

The only thing Im pretty certain of is that SoE isnt rolling around in heaps of cash laughing at customers for using the cash shop.    That money is being put back into SoE, I just think they could do things a bit better to rase money.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    This is cool. I've always wanted to craft something by actually desining and making something. As opposed to collecting 100 of x and hitting "craft".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by teakbois      Actually I would like the idea better if the player got to choose to make a amrketplace item and get the 40%, or make it a drop and get nothing, just give SoE free weapon design but know that the boss of badassedness dropped YOUR greatsword.

That seems like a pretty cool alternative. Might be worth it to post it on their forums or bring it up at SOE Live if you are going.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the EQ2 marketplace gear is cosmetic only

yes, SOE takes a big cut, but you are selling cosmetic EQ2 products to their players

without hours of farming or senseless game grinds

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

The fact that SOE is even allowing players to create items for their game signifies several things.

1. They would prefer to assign their dev teams to work on more productive things, i.e. developing and allowing players to create what they want to see, instead of the devs guessing. Brilliant move. I would imagine they will most likely have someone sifting through the sludge piles of newly created items for the 'gems' and submitting them in morning meetings, sounds very feasable.

2. If players want to create something and gain money from it, they will now have that opportunity. True, Amazon gives 70% but you also have to write, re-write, edit and convert your files, I have been through that process several times and it is, in no way, easy. The time and dedication it takes to create something worthy of posting on Amazon is quite intense. SOE is lending their platform they created and allowing dedicated fans to make items for their marketplace. So not only are they providing the platform, they are also providing the marketing and means. 40% is quite fair, considering that when, compared to writing, trade publishers only award the Author with 10-15% and that's IF you payout the bonus you receive upfront.

3. This is truely the way I see MMO's going, SOE is just taking the step a bit sooner than I would have thought. They are getting the best ideas for items from the players themselves.

I have many good and bad memories when SOE is concerned and have even hated them for a time, but I do have to say this is a brilliant move by Smed, /salute.

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Nadia

the EQ2 marketplace gear is cosmetic only

yes, SOE takes a big cut, but you are selling cosmetic EQ2 products to their players

without hours of farming or senseless game grinds

They are cosmetic items and the creators get a check. Saw people flipping out thinking they will just get SC or something lol.

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

The fact that SOE is even allowing players to create items for their game signifies several things.

1. They would prefer to assign their dev teams to work on more productive things, i.e. developing and allowing players to create what they want to see, instead of the devs guessing. Brilliant move. I would imagine they will most likely have someone sifting through the sludge piles of newly created items for the 'gems' and submitting them in morning meetings, sounds very feasable.

2. If players want to create something and gain money from it, they will now have that opportunity. True, Amazon gives 70% but you also have to write, re-write, edit and convert your files, I have been through that process several times and it is, in no way, easy. The time and dedication it takes to create something worthy of posting on Amazon is quite intense. SOE is lending their platform they created and allowing dedicated fans to make items for their marketplace. So not only are they providing the platform, they are also providing the marketing and means. 40% is quite fair, considering that when, compared to writing, trade publishers only award the Author with 10-15% and that's IF you payout the bonus you receive upfront.

3. This is truely the way I see MMO's going, SOE is just taking the step a bit sooner than I would have thought. They are getting the best ideas for items from the players themselves.

I have many good and bad memories when SOE is concerned and have even hated them for a time, but I do have to say this is a brilliant move by Smed, /salute.

1) Doesn't seem to be correct because on SOE's information page they say they will also have staff creating these cosmetic items and you can create ones to sell along side them. So they aren't freeing up any artists.

2) Creating a solid model and solid texturing is a skill as is writing. I used Amazon as an example but it isn't the only one. When you sold a game you created on XBox Indie Arcade (You created the game, created the art, QAed the product, made the product work on the XBox system etc etc etc.) you got 70% I believe and XBox got 30%. When you sell in App stores on smart phones it tends to be the same. It is essentially the standard percentage break on the internet to be 30% 70%, yet SOE is going for 60% 40% on a venture that could also create a larger playerbase which then also creates them more money.

3)It isn't the way things are going. It is a type of thing that has been done in the past and will be done again in the future. I don't think it will ever be the norm or mainstream just as I don't think something like CoH's mission architect will be the norm.