Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 has very little "actual" graphical variety

13»

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    There is a lot of variety. it's just not zone wide. There are few snow zones but each actually have a different feel. There is a lot of smaller places within zone which look different. I like it that way b/c the game world looks like a real world this way.
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Give a solid example? I found the areas different. ie kessex is different from the placeto the east..very different.
  • RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

I'm at a cross between marveling at the zones' layouts, utilization, and "micro" design, which IMO blows away any MMO I've played -- even TSW which does it pretty well too -- and agreeing with the OP that at times the greater aesthetic and atmospheric changes don't manifest quickly enough during natural progression to keep those aspects as interesting in hour 20 as they were in hour 1.  

The "real life" argument, for me, falls completely apart when we bring in any of the fantastical elements.  From a game design perspective, unless it's a true world simulation the aesthetic and atmosphere should strive to enhance the playing experience, not necessarily mimic real life IMO.  For all the absurdity of WoW's zones, I think Blizzard "got" that giving players a change of scenery and encounters on a more regular basis can have positive results.

Obviously every player can easily force it in GW2 by changing to a different region of the world, but that's not really what we're talking about here.  Besides which it takes a game that some feel already lacks a coherent underlying story/theme (yes, yes, dragons, I know) and exacerbates the feeling.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Honestly this is just the price you pay for higher graphics.  Truth is the better something looks generally the harder and more time/money consuming it is to code.  On a linear game this isn't that big of a deal cause your not coding all that much compared to a open world environment like a MMO.  Now I am not saying GW2 looks all the same at all, just higher graphic games usually come at the price of a little bit less graphics variety its not the companies fault just the way it is.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

This is also a snow zone.

And ....another snow zone.

Some details, set pieces and land marks change but there is only a handful templates they use.

Yeah, its more "realistic" but much less entertaining for a video game.

Ah, I see the problem. Some people are having difficulty separating "template" from "environment". Like on earth here, there are so many environments to choose from. High desert terrain will look similar around the planet, as will mountainous, grasslands, etc.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Volkon

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

Some details, set pieces and land marks change but there is only a handful templates they use.

Ah, I see the problem. Some people are having difficulty separating "template" from "environment". Like on earth here, there are so many environments to choose from. High desert terrain will look similar around the planet, as will mountainous, grasslands, etc.

I want hellish looking area, cloud area, rainbow sparkles area, and downtown rural area.

GW2 why you no give me every possible area?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by donjn

OP prefers WoW, where you walk 20 feet and lush forest becomes a desert drastically...

Nope, the OP is just indirectly "promoting" the game in his signature, again. What he says doesn't even make sense for anyone who plays GW2, except if he didn't get past level 5 in his starter area.

Originally posted by bluefunk

AoC still has better gfx by far than anything other than TSW which tech was built from AoC.

This was the whole (first hidden) point of this thread. And what's hillarious is that TSW has FAR less landscape variety than GW2, something anyone unbiased having played both games knows.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

It is the details that I think some people say are missing.  For example on earth no to mountain regions are the same.  Indeed no two areas are the same.  Every tree is a different height, different angle, the leaves on it are slightly different colors.  Each patch of flowers are different and unique.  On earth there is a lot of variety to every landscape.  Just drive down the road and notice how different every persons lawn is, each is pretty unique if you take the time to look.  The higher the graphics quality the harder this is to try and copy in a game cause each change is harder to code cause it has more detail.

Originally posted by eggy08

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

I want hellish looking area, cloud area, rainbow sparkles area, and downtown rural area.

I heard they're working on a hellish area with sparkly clouds and rainbows that drip lava, would that suffice or did you want distinct areas?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by stratasaurus

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

It is the details that I think some people say are missing.  For example on earth no to mountain regions are the same.  Indeed no two areas are the same.  Every tree is a different height, different angle, the leaves on it are slightly different colors.  Each patch of flowers are different and unique.  On earth there is a lot of variety to every landscape.  Just drive down the road and notice how different every persons lawn is, each is pretty unique if you take the time to look.  The higher the graphics quality the harder this is to try and copy in a game cause each change is harder to code cause it has more detail.

Bill, WTF, I told you not to use copy/paste in this game...

But, I swear I made that tree from scratch.

That overlaying branch has the same shape and form as tree #2354, delete it and do it again.

50+ years later. Ok guys, game is completely unique... oh, the graphics are outdated for this generation... guess we gotta do it all over again.

Feasible and practical > time consuming, mind numbing variety.

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

I heard they're working on a hellish area with sparkly clouds and rainbows that drip lava, would that suffice or did you want distinct areas?

Distinct obviously. Those aren't aloud to be in the same area. You know nothing of reality, GOD!

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

Distinct obviously. Those aren't aloud to be in the same area. You know nothing of reality, GOD!

Well, although I'm flattered I'm not actually God, but people have made that mistake before so I forgive you. Although if I were, reality would be mine to determine.

Oderint, dum metuant.

That overlaying branch has the same shape and form as tree #2354, delete it and do it again.

50+ years later. Ok guys, game is completely unique... oh, the graphics are outdated for this generation... guess we gotta do it all over again.

I agree completely, just a fact of life for a High end Open World landscape.

Now some games, like SWTOR took it a little far with the assembly line graphics, that world looks more like they decided lets make one really cool cave/ship/whatever and copy and paste it with no changes everywhere we can.  GW2 seems to have a good balance so far though

Just shocks me that people expect so much out of a game that has that much world to it. If it was no more than a few landscapes, I can imagine this being possible, but it's just not worth the time and money to make that much variety in a game.

Just shocks me that people expect so much out of a game that has that much world to it. If it was no more than a few landscapes, I can imagine this being possible, but it's just not worth the time and money to make that much variety in a game.

I remember I was pissed when FF13 came out that there was not really any open world to it, then I read a article from the head designer that said if they did those graphics with a open world and not a linear backbone the game would take at least another 10 years to complete with their staff size.  Of course my thoughts were screw your graphics I'd rather have a game that doesn't suck but still kind of opened my eyes to the concept of how much time high end graphics take to make.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    I think it's a visual masterpiece. To each his own.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by bluefunk
    Originally posted by Toxia

Best sceneries and overall graphics ive ever seen in an mmo.

Your arguement is invalid.

That's a bit of a disapointing comment to be honest.  My argument is not invalid, I assume you think GW2 is the second coming and will defend it regardless?

The graphical variety in GW2 is rather low in any area which isn't a city or set piece.  I am not attacking your opinion on the game or you just stating that's the way I see it.

Honestly some people just can't take anything critical against a game they like.

/sadface

I agree with him. These are the best graphics or at least artistry I have seen in an MMO. I find myself enjoying looking for cool vistas and Divinity Reach was the best city I have ever seen in an MMO. Every area looks very detailed and it would be stupid to run around a bend in the same zone and the world all of a sudden goes from one extreme to another. I guess now Ill be called a fanboi which people are generically called if the disagree with someones negative assessment in any game in these forums.

There Is Always Hope!