Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 has very little "actual" graphical variety

Comments

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

This is also a snow zone.

And ....another snow zone.

Some details, set pieces and land marks change but there is only a handful templates they use.

Yeah, its more "realistic" but much less entertaining for a video game.

I will say that the variety of enemies is very nice(though some are repeated endlessly ie the horrible Dredge). Theres different graphics for different types of the same mob type. Like a normal version, snow version, jungle, undead, Destroyer, Branded and aquatic. Theres also undead versions of nearly everything. Even chickens. You ever run for life from a horde of zombie chickens? I have.

Have you also run from skritt?

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Complain DENIED!
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Dde, the world looks amazing.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Volkmar

What I think the OP means is that GW2 areas follow geographical patterns instead of the wide variety of WoW (Where you pass from the gloomy Countryside of Duskwood to the colorful Jungle of STV in the blink of an eye for example).

Note that I'm a big fan of "Azeroth", but GW2's distribution of ecosystems is indeed way more "realistic" than WoW. The example you give illustrates this perfectly.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by bluefunk

I was out leveling and generally messing about with my level 36 Necro and started to realise something was a miss in the landscapes and world I was exploring.  To me if you take away the undoubtably fantasic looking set pieces (Black Citidal  for example) then the normal world itself is very generic and plain.  The same gradd hills and rocks are there over and over again.

After I relaised this it does take the shine off and I started to see it everywhere.  Gratz to Anet for drawing and fooling the eye somewhat with their map skills creating the set pieces.

Great game though. :)

It changes a lot after a few more levels - it gets pretty dark and dreary actually

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

OP is just wrong, no ifs or buts, just absolutely trolling for attention it seems, he cant provide any proof, or any pics to support his theory, he probably tried and when he saw every single rock is different from every single other rock due to 99% of the game being hand crafted, and individually painted, he just gave up. 

Congratulations OP, your jab at GW2 is having the opposite effect, its gonna make more people play the game because your thread made publicity, and publicity is good bad or otherwise, people will come in this thread read it, see that 99% of the people in the thread disagree with you and point how you are wrong, and then they will do the opposite of what you made the thread for and go buy the game :).

End of Story. Ty for advertising GW2 OP you're being a valuable asset to the sales of the game.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I was out leveling and generally messing about with my level 36 Necro and started to realise something was a miss in the landscapes and world I was exploring.  To me if you take away the undoubtably fantasic looking set pieces (Black Citidal  for example) then the normal world itself is very generic and plain.  The same gradd hills and rocks are there over and over again.

After I relaised this it does take the shine off and I started to see it everywhere.  Gratz to Anet for drawing and fooling the eye somewhat with their map skills creating the set pieces.

I'm sure the game has its problems, but graphical variety out in the world certainly isn't one of them.  I've been in moors, swamps, forests, icy mountains, glades, weird fairy veg places, various very different types of building style, etc.

It sounds like you haven't really seen much of the game yet.  Have you got an alt in each race?  You'll see a lot of variety that way.  But even with one race, the progression through landscapes is very varied.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by 13lake

OP is just wrong, no ifs or buts, just absolutely trolling for attention it seems, he cant provide any proof, or any pics to support his theory, he probably tried and when he saw every single rock is different from every single other rock due to 99% of the game being hand crafted, and individually painted, he just gave up. 

Congratulations OP, your jab at GW2 is having the opposite effect, its gonna make more people play the game because your thread made publicity, and publicity is good bad or otherwise, people will come in this thread read it, see that 99% of the people in the thread disagree with you and point how you are wrong, and then they will do the opposite of what you made the thread for and go buy the game :).

End of Story. Ty for advertising GW2 OP you're being a valuable asset to the sales of the game.

You can think I am wrong that's your opinion, sure.  I stick by my opinion, I am not flaming or trolling, out of the cities GW2 just isn't that varied.

Seems like you can't handle someone not liking GW2 the same way you like it.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

While Fanboys are annoying, the opposite isn't any better.

Pretty much every post you've made on these boards is trashing the game. So after while it gets kinda hard to take anything you say seriously. I personally think you're just baiting people into stupid arguments to start a flamewar.

I don't see anything wrong with the variety in the zones or the game's gorgeous art direction. 

Seems like you can only do "ad hominem" and not actually even try to counter any of my arguments, ty for proving without a doubt to me that you have no idea what you're talking about here, you're just arguing for the sake arguing, just trolling for the sake of trolling, posting for the sake of baiting. I'll just say it again:

Proof or stop trolling.

Oh and if you dont know what ad hominem means, its latin, google it, it describes what you've been doing in this thread since it was conceived. Also replying to someone, and not even connecting to 1 word from the post of the person you replied is just spamming.

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by Toxia
    Best sceneries and overall graphics ive ever seen in an mmo.   Your arguement is invalid.

That's a bit of a disapointing comment to be honest.  My argument is not invalid, I assume you think GW2 is the second coming and will defend it regardless?

The graphical variety in GW2 is rather low in any area which isn't a city or set piece.  I am not attacking your opinion on the game or you just stating that's the way I see it.

Honestly some people just can't take anything critical against a game they like.

/sadface

Why don't you back up your claims with screenshots, I would love to see what your talking about. Personally I have never seen the same thing twice, but I have only made it as far as Metrica Province and Brisban Wildlands.

I have been fascinated by the sheer amount of variety in the scenery and textures.
    Originally posted by XImpalerX
    Originally posted by Toxia

Best sceneries and overall graphics ive ever seen in an mmo.

Your arguement is invalid.

That's a bit of a disapointing comment to be honest.  My argument is not invalid, I assume you think GW2 is the second coming and will defend it regardless?

The graphical variety in GW2 is rather low in any area which isn't a city or set piece.  I am not attacking your opinion on the game or you just stating that's the way I see it.

Honestly some people just can't take anything critical against a game they like.

/sadface

Why don't you back up your claims with screenshots, I would love to see what your talking about. Personally I have never seen the same thing twice, but I have only made it as far as Metrica Province and Brisban Wildlands. I have been fascinated by the sheer amount of variety in the scenery and textures.

Why do you need screenshots?  I don't mean places/maps are identical , as in copy and paste.   I just mean out of the cities the landscape is very similar and nothing is that varied.

I would mention that in my original post I did say "I" for a good reason.  It's just "my" opinion".  GW2 gfx are ok at best considering it's 2012.  AoC had better gfx 3 years ago (and still does).

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    No game comes close to Gw2's world design. Period.
  • drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27

AoC had better gfx 3 years ago (and still does).

Your computer must be so terrible it makes me sad :*(

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    The environments, zones, cities, and all the stuff that fills them have been my single most praiseworthy aspect of GW2 thus far.  It's the most incredible MMO world I've ever been in.  
  • CavodCavod Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Hey, look a snow zone.

Oh, another snow zone.

This is also a snow zone.

And ....another snow zone.

I know right!

I live in all seasons area because I love the weather changes but man does it ever irk me off when (say for example) it snows here and I drive for thirty minutes in any direction AND THERE IS STILL SNOW EVERYWHERE!!!

I mean wtf!  How about some variety nature.

I think the worst situation is when I went on vacation to the mountains and it was snow constantly.  I asked the locals when the snow went away and can you believe they said NEVER!?!?!?!  What a total nature fail... would not vacation there again, would not buy, would not play.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Originally posted by drekz

AoC had better gfx 3 years ago (and still does).

Your computer must be so terrible it makes me sad :*(

LOL no my puter is pretty dam awesome. AoC still has better gfx by far than anything other than TSW which tech was built from AoC. 

Seriously I am not saying "our" game is better/worse just GW2 world gfx are worse.  Get over it.  Gw 2 is a great game, just the gfx and world are not so-varied.  I don't want to make this gfx in this game are better than your game thread but you seem to want to.

GW2 is great but th world design out of the cities is Zzzzzzz/cut/paste...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

To a certain extent it's true.  I think the visuals are great, but nothing really stood out to me, after the Charr starting area, until the flame legion 70 zone and the zone with the volcano.  I'm talking about zones which really look and feel different with really memorable locations.

Everything certainly looks a lot nice than WOW, but WOW seems to evoke more mood and diversity for me as a player.  That doesn't mean I'm going back to WOW, it just means they had the luxury of going less for realism and more for variety and unique zones.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

OP prefers WoW, where you walk 20 feet and lush forest becomes a desert drastically...

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    I think the areas are well crafted, but not a lot of radical difference from area to area. I haven't seen all the areas yet. I also like what they've done with the underwater areas which is a nice touch.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    To a certain extent it's true.  I think the visuals are great, but nothing really stood out to me, after the Charr starting area, until the flame legion 70 zone and the zone with the volcano.  I'm talking about zones which really look and feel different with really memorable locations.

I have to agree to a point as well,the OP has a point.

My advice OP,no point making a thread that is just your opinion,here you will get jumped on and hexes put on you for having a negative comment to say about GW2.

Oh, i and like the game but the attitude towards anyone who isn't declaring it the second coming is pathetic.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by donjn

OP prefers WoW, where you walk 20 feet and lush forest becomes a desert drastically...

Really! i cant remember reading that comment in his OP,care to link it?

Bluefunks, first a few posts back you're saying world enviroment is copy paste, when we ask you to provide screenshots and proof, you then change your claims in the next post saying its not world areas enviroments that are copy/paste its cities landscapes that are the same ? where did that come from you havent said anything about that before page 4.

Then suddenly you say gfx sucks in gw2, aoc has much better gfx, seriously ? gfx are graphical effects and graphic fidelity, it has nothing to do with enviroment design or the style or beauty of enviroments, you just jumped from comparing the graphical style,enviroments and quality of concept art implementation to comparing polygons and pixels and engines and gfx, ...

You cannot be a more obvious troll, as soon as you cant prove or disprove one thing you just ignore it, and go to something else and try to hide the fact that you cant provide any proof whatsover to support any of your claims.

And you still ignore every question anyone asks you, that you know you cant make a answer to, without disproving everything you said.

Its not your opinion when you say something that can easily quantified,measured,and compared, there's no opinions there, there is only mathematics and scientifical fact. You cannot say i think this area is the same as the other area, because i i say so(thats a definition of your opinion), when its possible to take screenshots of those 2 areas and compare them, and if there aren then completely different, you can show that to millions of people and see what they have to say. 

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

That tends to happen when you only do 1 race zone. 1- 35 area's do look simaler on some races but not all. In fact if you do explore you will find many areas that do not look the same.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    How does one simply even notice that? GW2 is like a painting, a perfect illusion.