Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to all those hitting 80...WHY?

124»

Comments

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    You guys do realise that importance of having 80 level in this game equalls the importance of last year's snow?

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I don't get it, why not level fast?  You scale down to the content you may have missed, and get level appropriate rewards. Not to mention become more versatile in WvW.

Digging through posting histories is not worth my time, but I will bet that more than one of the people who have criticized players for "rushing to 80" have at one point also pointed out that "Level scaling means there's no endgame.  At level 80 you can go back to experience content you missed while leveling and it will still remain fun, challenging, and rewarding."

That exposes complaints about people rushing as not really being about people rushing but about trying to refute any negativity in a way that insults the poster making the negative comment.  Either that or they've come to realize that level scaling is not really as effective as it was hyped up to be.

Like you, people really should be pointing out that level 80s can now go back and experience everything they've skipped and it will still be just as engaging, but I guess it's easier and more fun to try to embarrass them in a community that will always take one's back.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by sonoggi

i cant imagine why people would wanna shit all over this game and powerlevel till 80. to those hitting 80 already - you must really hate the game (or play 24/7).

i logged about 50 hours on my guardian, enjoying DE's, personal story, spvp, tpvp and WvW. im only level 22 >.<  im enjoying every square foot of this beautiful world. 

I have a question for you. What does it matter what they do? They're enjoying the game their way. I know as I'm powering through a game, my goal is to get to max level so that I can make more gold and items to enjoy my playtime more. Everyone plays an mmo differently, there's no right or wrong way to do it. They're having fun just as you are, so why does it bother you, and why is your way the only and best way to play? Seriously, I wonder why.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i cant imagine why people would wanna shit all over this game and powerlevel till 80. to those hitting 80 already - you must really hate the game (or play 24/7).

i logged about 50 hours on my guardian, enjoying DE's, personal story, spvp, tpvp and WvW. im only level 22 >.<  im enjoying every square foot of this beautiful world. 

i got 24lvl only in Plains of Ashford, and yet i havent seen all the DEs at that map, and just before i leave that place, a friend told me that at the hidden jumping puzzle there was more depth ..! and i get back to finish it ..!

hell no i dont wanna know how much content they lost..! the only acceptable reason is the WvW or the fans of the personal story ...

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

i got 80 yesterday, i wasnt even trying, i just played. after you hit 40 you kind of get handed free experiance left and right with all the events going on, and orr is all event baced no hearts, i got 70-80 in about 3 hours. and had a blast doing the area.

i fully enjoy the game. and look forward to starting my next toon

Any reason you dont want to play endgame with your character? I hear thats some level-kinda thing after 80 that brings you towards legendary or something like that.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I loved how caetftl put it, so if she/he doesn't mind I'll leave this in here.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5276587#5276587

"Has anyone else noticed that often times if someone is low level and gets bored, the argument against them becomes "oh you just gave up too easily you haven't even experienced most of the world", and then if someone levels fast and experiences most of the world the argument becomes, "you leveled too quickly and experienced everything faster than you should".  Then with people who are in the middle they just pick one or the other based on what side of level 40 you are on?"

Btw, my /age is 101 hours (1, 2) and my highest level is 24. I tried many of the classes and dabbled in crafting, personal stories, ran around and took a bunch of screenshots. And yet still, if I dare claim I'm not feeling enthused to log in I just know someone would dare tell me how to enjoy the game.

Because, you know, this game is a special little snowflake and we're supposed to be doing exactly what the cult members are doing to enjoy it. Not to mention that no game in history has been exempt from the same kind of feedback.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I hit level 80 3 days ago, and i did it to take advantage of the Trading Post and make as much profit as possible before it stabilizes for the high-tier stuff. It has already gotten me roughly 8000 crystals and a pile of 71g, well worth it.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Thanks for telling us how you play the game.  I guess everybody else is doing it wrong.

people can play a game how they want and should be able to but then complain it's not fun because you aren't playing it how it was designed to be played seems silly to me. They incorporated numerous ways to level in this game but their big focus for PVE and you can see this by reading dev blogs or listening to their Q & A's is the world they created, the ability to just go out and explore, to watch events unfold in ever changing zones. If you are going to rush past and ignore this aspect they put the most work into then complain about the game what do you expect?

I'm confused, I thought the game was designed, so that after you hit eighty,  you could go back to any zone an still have fun. I must have read that wrong. 

Its BS and even Aerowyn is starting to make less sense these days tho he did have good composure on most threads, I think he is starting to break down now, I am 80 not tried to be 80 just kept on completing stuff, ANet through GW2 awarded me XP for doing stuff, hell after I finished an area I even got in game mail telling me where I should be going

"Go east to continue your quest bla bla bla, or if you want a change of scenery go west bla bla bla" 

And the game itself just kept pushing me to go to higher level areas as I finished one lower level one, so the game is designed this way, then I go back to town at the end of the day with the mats I have gotten while playing DEs and Hearts and exploring and craft some stuff to level my professions and I get given a ton more of XP, its more than clear that the game was designed to hit 80 quick, just a couple of people grasping at straws and trying to reinterpret in some irrational way what GW2 clearly presents you in game, their argument is no better than saying that people should stay in WoW on the starter area and just kill boars otherwise they are rushing it, it makes no sense and they know it ( I hope they do at least! ).

If anyone was rushing through which obviously people did they would be 80 just after the headstart was over, which again some people did. Hitting 80 right now is the normal pace of the game. So play the game the way you want to play, stop trying to reinterpret what ANet designed the game for, unless you have been in the design room when they made these decisions and have some inside information, the game itself through actual experience says something completely different than what you are saying. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    People who have hit 80 already have definitely rushed. That's why they have such a small percentage of the map done once they hit that and let's face it, the content is the map. So hitting level 80 and just standing there not freeing temples or attacking world bosses and then complaining there's nothing to do is your own doing. That's all the rest of us are saying. Pleanty to do folks no standing around cities here waiting on groups like a lobby in a floridian nursing home.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I'm like 22, I play only one character, I've played since headstart.  Makes me sad really.  Can't manage to juggle my life, minecraft, and this game.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well... its incredibly easy to hit 80 on this game. I played only several hours a day (I have no life btw so thats incredibly short) and I ended up hitting 80 already. I'm really not trying to rush it, I'm just playing normally... its just a bit boring to be blunt as it is and the journey gets a little lame for me. Crafting did in some part speed up those pains.

Trust me, I didn't rush it, I rush a lot of games but GW2...

1.) Lacked End Game (no raids and no real insentive to rush it in that regard. Yes theres stuff to do but that is EVERY game.)

2.) Just bored... I got bored of the game after a few hours of play and had to put it down. Sure, I did have fun while I was playing but it got old far to quick for my liking.

Even then I still hit 80 quick (Less then 3 days play time on 1 character) so it just goes to show how THEY made the game quick, not so much the players.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I have 30hrs in and I'm level 30 (roughly haven't played the last couple days). How are you so low with 50 hrs of game time? I do everything you listed. Do you just afk/chat in town for hrs at a time? 

ANET is expecting people to rush to cap and feel like they beat the game. Its part of their business model. The leveling is made "easy" in order to get people to the meat of the game quickly, in GW2's case 5 man dungeons for dungeon armor, Orr, and WvW, and then quitting until an "expansion" or game up date comes out. Since their busniess model rely on sales, not subs, they don't care if people quit. They just need enough people to buy the game, spend a little at the cash shop, and stick around to justify the server infastructure (they own their servers BTW) and future development.

Look at GW1. People would burn through a new campegin in a month of two. Stick around for another month and quit. However, since they already were maxed and enjoyed the game enough they were willing to spend 50-60 dollars to do it all again in another 6-9 months. Thats all ANET needs.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well... its incredibly easy to hit 80 on this game. I played only several hours a day (I have no life btw so thats incredibly short) and I ended up hitting 80 already. I'm really not trying to rush it, I'm just playing normally... its just a bit boring to be blunt as it is and the journey gets a little lame for me. Crafting did in some part speed up those pains

most players hitting 80 had at least 80 hrs played

your "several hours a day" was probably more than you think

otherwise im not saying you rushed and accept your opinion

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I hit 80 quickly in order to grab all the skill points/unlocks and the like for WvWvW as quickly as possible. Let's face it, it is a cake walk to hit 80 in the game anyway simply by chain zerging DE's at as high a level as you can find.

Why would someone care how quickly others are getting to 80 anyway?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I hit 80 by natural progession , I didn't rush nor try to level .. it just happened.

I've got 45% of the map completed and fully intend on finishing the rest, but honestly you don't have to try to level in this game.... it just happens.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I'm pretty sure I'll hit 80 before I get to the 80 zones. Especially if I actually do some crafting. But I find myself not really worrying about level - I just review my equipment every 5 or 10 levels. Meanwhile I just wander to whatever looks interesting.
  • AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I think if you are having fun or are engrossed it shouldn't matter the speed it's being done at. Some players like to tackle content at the extreme limits of what they are able to survive.

The issue would begin, in my eyes, when those same players begin complaining about lack of content when they skipped the bulk of it to tackle that type of preferred content. This is the point where the player needs to examine themselves and their habits as opposed to blaming a game for not meeting their gaming needs.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    People who have hit 80 already have definitely rushed. That's why they have such a small percentage of the map done once they hit that and let's face it, the content is the map. So hitting level 80 and just standing there not freeing temples or attacking world bosses and then complaining there's nothing to do is your own doing. That's all the rest of us are saying. Pleanty to do folks no standing around cities here waiting on groups like a lobby in a floridian nursing home.

That's simply not true.  Exploring the map is WHAT levels you up.  If you explore 45% of the map, do events along the way and keep up with your personal story, you WILL hit 80.  There's no way around that.  That will just automatically give you the exp you need to get there.  EVERYONE who reaches 80 will have around 35-45% world map completion.  The only way to get MORE map completion WITHOUT hitting 80 is by intentionally avoiding events you come across, never doing a dungeon, not crafting at all, staying out of WvW, and ignoring your personal story.  

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    I hit 80 on the 29th by never standing still. I entered a map, did every quest and event, gathered every node until there was nothing currently active. Did I wait around for every random DE to start? Hell no. I went to the next zone and repeated the process. I never focused on leveling, just playing. I'm sorry if you feel like leveling is too hard for you, maybe you should spend more time focusing on how you play rather than how the rest of us do

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

I didn't play 24/7, I just did map completion from 1-80. I hit 80 so I could enjoy the game to it's fullest, you know with all of my skills/abilities unlocked and able to start collecting to the cool level 80 sets. 

Just because you level slowly, doesn't mean others do. I've played many games in my past, I just know how to be efficient.