Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you play Asheron's Call?

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

So I've seen a lot of responses to question 1 but not question 2.

Question 2 is: Despite any reason you have for not paying to play the game, what stops you from trying the free 2 week trial?

You have nothing to lose and the worst case is that you find the reasons you didn't want to play the game hold up and you leave at the end of the trial. Best case you find you've been overlooking a great game that you find fun.

That's assuming that question 1 wasn't arrived at by doing question 2.  Which I did.  I played the trial and hated all the aspects I mentioned and promptly uninstalled.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

That's right YOU. Yes you, behind the monitor. I can see you... put some pants on please.

*gasp*  How did you know??

Seriously though, I don't play it mostly because it's old.  I realize that old games can be fun, but in my case, it's rare that I enjoy a game retroactively... if I didn't have some nostalgia going for me in a game, it usually isn't that impressive.  Example: Chrono Trigger for the SNES was touted as one of the greatest RPGS of its time.  I never got to play it until after 2000, and by that time it was boring to me.  Same reason I don't play most old MMOs.  Most people look so lovingly upon them not because they stack up well against newer games, but because they become somewhat emotional.  Hindsight is usually 20/20 and rose-tinted.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

Odd you bring this up. I was just talking to a co-worker and longtime friend about games we have played and liked a lot. As far as customizability this games had our vote hands down. Unless it’s changed a lot, this game was/still is the most fun in being able to spend points in anything and make whatever you want. I had some toons that put more points in jump and could access places others that had a lower jump couldn't. These mechanics are what is definitely missing in games today.

Now as to why I don't play anymore. Sadly it is the graphics and UI. I have the nostalgia when I first played it but after moving on it’s hard for me to pick up a game that is this outdated in graphics and UI.

Just my 2 cents.

But for ole time sake I may just try the 14 days but alas I don't foresee giving any money to play this game in its current state.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I've not played this game, but when I go to there site to review to game features, it just seems to not have that much.
  • KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    It was my first MMO and I loved it but I idly subbed an account (or there was a free return thing I can't remember) a couple of years back and the old graphics that I used to think were ok were really an atmosphere killer despite all my fond memories. If I'd had friends still playing might have been different but from memory the high level xp was hideous unless you whored certain dungeons non stop and I can't face that anymore. I do miss the incredible freedom of the game though.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Kossuth
    It was my first MMO and I loved it but I idly subbed an account (or there was a free return thing I can't remember) a couple of years back and the old graphics that I used to think were ok were really an atmosphere killer despite all my fond memories. If I'd had friends still playing might have been different but from memory the high level xp was hideous unless you whored certain dungeons non stop and I can't face that anymore. I do miss the incredible freedom of the game though.

The grind for XP isn't much of a grind anymore.

The updated creature in quest XP a couple years back, you can level fast now without any help. With help you can level very very fast.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I agree with almost everything mentioned here, and with their free Trial you have to give your credit card numbers, I dont think that is very welcoming
  • bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    It was a great game in it's day, but it's too dated now. For me, it's really hard to go back to what would currently be considered bad UI and antiquated game mechanics. Last time I checked it out it was pretty barren with lots of botting going on. There's also too many better options now days.
  • lobeslobes Member UncommonPosts: 127

Question 2 is: Despite any reason you have for not paying to play the game, what stops you from trying the free 2 week trial?

You have nothing to lose and the worst case is that you find the reasons you didn't want to play the game hold up and you leave at the end of the trial. Best case you find you've been overlooking a great game that you find fun.

Credit Card.

There is no reason, in this day and age, to require a credit card for a free trial for an MMO.

I don't want to give my CC info to a company that I'm not sure if I am going to do business with or not. With Sony, Blizzard, etc. all being compromised in the past, its an unecessary risk I'm not willing to take.

If a CC were not required, I would download the Trial today.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I totally agree that gameplay, story, etc  can trump graphics in a number of cases but you do reach a point where the graphics become just too painful to accept anymore. AC has been at that point for awhile. As many have said, there just isnt a reason to sub to an antiquated/low pop game with so many other good options out there. I've been following what little information has been made available about the Anarchy Online graphics/UI overhaul and have been excited to give it a try but alas, many years in and it's not looking like its gonna happen, and unfortunatly I just cant get used to the UI/controls of the current state. Graphics are pretty rough too but I think I could overlook them.

I think some good examples of games still worth playing despite aged graphics/ui are Day of the Tenticle (1993!), Grim Fandango and Sam and Max Hit the Road. Come to think of it, maybe adventure games, with hilarious writing, are better able to trancend their graphics in the long run. Sadly, for me, some of the best games ever, like System Shock, are rendered virtually unplayable after nearly 20 years. That might actually be an extreme example, age wise.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

What do I have to lose ? Time that I can use to do something else. It is an OLD game, it has run its course. It is not going to last too long that I am sure of.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by zakiyawow

What do I have to lose ? Time that I can use to do something else. It is an OLD game, it has run its course. It is not going to last too long that I am sure of.

Well unfortunately people have been saying that for at least 8 years so it isn't a solid statement to say it has run its course and won't last much longer. I could literally find posts that say that from 2002 and 2004.

• KuanTodoKuanTodo Member Posts: 1

I'll grant you 2 and 3, but the ability to script the game to elminate some of the tedium of grinding and trade activities was one of the best features as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't played in years, but a nostalgic kick has me considering re-joining.

I miss Darktide. No other PvP server in any other game has ever come close to it.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Been thinking of getting into it again, but the things that made the game great were the people you played with. The ones that you adventured with. Now, those people dont play. The world is full of min/maxers that have a right way to do everything. There is no sense of adventure and nothing is new.

The world wide chat system does shrink the world,.but it also reminds you of how small the population is when you see the same six guys talking.

There is new content and tweaks monthly, but it also serves to lay waste to old content, and you spend your time with the new stuff, not paying any attention to the old stuff, which, again, makes the world feel empty.

The reason ac is not getting the respect it deserves is that it is no longer massively multiplayer.

I am not saying its a bad game, its a great game with great ideas, it just doesnt have the population to make it great.

The reasons population is lacking:
    Graphics, learning curve, graphics, graphics, advertisement, difficulty, relatability, graphics.

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Kyleran

3 or 4 years ago I did some research into playing AC, but decided against it for the following reasons,

1) Decal - Seems everyone uses this plug-in manager to load a plethora of different add ons and I don't really care for games that do this. (One thing I don't like in WOW is the mods system)

http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Plugins

2) Box price (?) of $19.99 ($9.99 these days)  plus a monthly sub fee of  $12.95 which I felt at the time was too high for a game that didn't appear to be having a whole lot of work done on it in terms of adding new content.  Felt like all I was doing was funding their new titles such as LotRO.

3) Turbine - not my favorite Development house, still think they screwed the pooch with LotRO, what a glorious title it should have been with that IP, instead, just another themepark. (and DDO, let's not go there)

You don't have to pay a box price. You can download the free 14 day trial and just start paying a subscription when the trial ends.

I'm not sure how you interpret it as not having a lot of work done in terms of adding new content, it adds new monthly content every month and has done so for 13 years straight. They also do 2 big patches each year that add new features, skills, major hunting grounds etc. So you actually get more new content (and on a regular basis) than just about any other MMO out there.

As far as decal goes, I can understand that but I personally have never used Decal and have no problems doing anything in the game. Every single MMO that exists has plugins that work for it. A lot of players just like to code up plugins to streamline or improve their MMO experience and AC is no different in that aspect. They are not needed to play the game though.

Seems I learned something new today, thanks for clearing up my misconceptions... maybe I will give the 14 day trial a shot sometime.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mogi67mogi67 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I love AC, always have, and always will. But the grind is fuckin horrible, especially if you want tp PVP. Sure it's easy to get to 275 if you macro and use buff bots. But then once you hit 275 there's luminance/augs. I just don't have the time to do all of that.
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Eir_S

That's right YOU. Yes you, behind the monitor. I can see you... put some pants on please.

*gasp*  How did you know??

Seriously though, I don't play it mostly because it's old.  I realize that old games can be fun, but in my case, it's rare that I enjoy a game retroactively... if I didn't have some nostalgia going for me in a game, it usually isn't that impressive.  Example: Chrono Trigger for the SNES was touted as one of the greatest RPGS of its time.  I never got to play it until after 2000, and by that time it was boring to me.  Same reason I don't play most old MMOs.  Most people look so lovingly upon them not because they stack up well against newer games, but because they become somewhat emotional.  Hindsight is usually 20/20 and rose-tinted.

Going OT here, but if you weren't able to see what made Chrono Trigger the incredible game it was "touted" to be, then you must care very little about story, music, and atmosphere when it comes to gaming. It was in a league of its own in those areas. and still is.

Believe it or not, some of us can differentiate when something is favorable due to nostalgia and when something is just good. Age is irrelevant.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

1) graphics

2) sub

3) developer

4) how the game is designed

5) low pop

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    The graphics are plain ugly.I don't find  WoW's graphics bad either but that's because i have played wow since it came out .I bet i wouldn't have minded AC graphics if i Would have played it back in the days.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

The graphics are just god-awful at this point. I know graphics aren't everything... but I really can't get over how bad they are in this game. It is just far too dated for me at this point, no matter how good the gameplay is.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Partly, population.

Partly because I know that they removed a lot of the features that made AC great, to make it more WoW like.

And lastly, and most importantly, Turbine is a horrible company and I refuse to give them money.

I am curious as to point #2. Having played both games plenty, I don't see any correlation between the two. In what ways do you think AC is like WoW?

They smoothed over a lot of the more interested/obscure features to make them more conventional.

I know I'm late to the thread but I just don't get this...examples?  I have played AC since beta and I still cannot figure out what the hell you're talking about.

Originally posted by JAFA

Classes. Levels. 'nuf said.

Classes?  Have you even played Asheron's Call?

The only thing I can figure is you consider melee, missle, and magic classes.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I bought the game installed it and Tried to connect to the server for about 3 days ... spent countless hours trying to get it to work on my computer but the DSL modem didnt want to connecft to the game server because its an old technology and it doesnt work with my type of internet connection
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The main reason is that AC is presently a car with wings and an exo-frame and a tail and another set of wings....

It simply is too many things layered onto the original frame.

There needs to be a new game similar to AC not more extensions to AC. 

The secondary reason is the been there done that thing.  I played a lot of AC a long time ago and some a moderate time ago.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Super outdated engine. I played from 99-03 and then went back a few times. There is no better game in terms of freedom of play, but the engine is just too dated. The engine also greatly dimishes the controls. Hell even the AC2 engine had issues with certain controls, like if you cleared a stun during an animation you would still finish the animation slowly (instead of the actual stun being cleared).

It's not the same Turbine anymore either.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

My reasons:

1 - played it for a year after beta (1999-2000), sold my character, never looked back. it was fun while it lasted, but there were new games that filled that niche

2 - even though it still has some of the most amazing ideas, it's just hard to go back to a dinosaur and play with people that have been there all that time, it just feels weird. a new server might resolve that though

3 - no way am I paying anything monthly for it. Eve online is the only game I'd ever pay for, ever again. SWTOR was the last mistake in that department.

4 - Darkfall is somewhat close to AC in terms of atmosphere/skill distribution, so since a new version of that is coming this year, I'd rather try that, especially since I don't have to buy a new box anyway and just pay a monthly fee...oh wait I just contradicted #3...f* it, I'll give it one more chance

5 - I'd play it on a private server in the same way I play DAOC today and it's absolutely amazin there because the community makes what they want to make and it works fine for everyone, but unfortunately, there are no AC servers in existence, so that's out of the question...

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs