Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class balance is broken

124»

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by spizz

Maybe some of you should  rethink some comments after watching this video and stop talking hot air. Its not just the dmg, its the brainless gamestyle to do such a dmg output. But I guess some even will find this alright, we saw such opinions in SWTOR about the smuggler/agent aswell. 

Thief vs Mesmer....says goodbye in 3 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEoA6FnUIk&feature=player_embedded

There is no debate that a theif can kill a target fast, I do it all the time(never as fast as that video, that guy didn't really put up a fight). What you don't seem to get is that this isn't a class balance problem. If it were it would be able to do it to everyone. Not only do you have to be bad, you also have to have a build that cannot defend itself against spike damage to die to a thief in a very fast matter.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Maybe some of you should  rethink some comments after watching this video and stop talking hot air. Its not just the dmg, its the brainless gamestyle to do such a dmg output. But I guess some even will find this alright, we saw such opinions in SWTOR about the smuggler/agent aswell. 

Thief vs Mesmer....says goodbye in 3 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEoA6FnUIk&feature=player_embedded

Running straight at a burst dps class as a squishy in a 1v1 situation (without first cc'ing him) and then giving him your back for good measure. Fantastic idea that.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Actually I complain that you can down a fully defensive class in 2-3 seconds, yes...even they are two players. So yes I have a different opinion here. It is a problem with gameplay since no other class can do it that fast, you just hop from one player to the next...how is this balanced. This is bullshit.

A fully defensive class? as in a Tank? You know where I am going with this right? No class, even if it is build to be defensive is intended to simply soak damagae. That is what anet means when they say there are no tanks. If you get caught and locked down by any two other players you are going to drop fast. The only way to last longer than 3 seconds is to keep moving, a lot.

No build of any class is intended to simply soak up damage for longer than a few seconds.

and melee attacks are supposed to do a lot more damage than ranged attacks. That is part of the intended balance.

All die, so die well.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Watched the video, you're terrible. 

If there ever was a case for "learn to play," you're it! Congratulations.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Actually I complain that you can down a fully defensive class in 2-3 seconds, yes...even they are two players. So yes I have a different opinion here. It is a problem with gameplay since no other class can do it that fast, you just hop from one player to the next...how is this balanced. This is bullshit.

A fully defensive class? as in a Tank? You know where I am going with this right? No class, even if it is build to be defensive is intended to simply soak damagae. That is what anet means when they say there are no tanks. If you get caught and locked down by any two other players you are going to drop fast. The only way to last longer than 3 seconds is to keep moving, a lot.

No build of any class is intended to simply soak up damage for longer than a few seconds.

Err, ever played a defensive guardian or warrior build? Heck, even an elementalist with a healing build.
    You definitely should last more than a few seconds against 2 players with those if you know what you're doing (or even against much larger numbers).

Not saying thief burst is OP, but the "2 players should always win" argument only holds water if those two players know how to play and how to coordinate. And even then things like cooldowns might end up turning the tables.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    At this point all I'll say is that thieves/rogues/assassins, whatever game you want to use, the stealth class usually starts out overpowered or at least appears that way.  It's exremely hard to balance a class that does extremely high damage and has stealth, stuns and the opening attack.  Eventually people start to figure counters out, but they usually start out owning people and it appears GW2 is no different.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Raging about the Thief is somewhat absurd.

Just about every high dps ability for a Thief is gimicky, Pistol Whip, Heartseeker, Unload. To do burst damage you have to use haste, otherwise the target gets away easily. Which basically means that during your cooldowns you are subpar to pretty much everyone else on the battlefield.

If you want these gimicky abilities fixed, just ask Arenanet to make them less gimicky. Trust me when I say the majority of thieves would gladly take a small dps knock ( even though thats not nessecary at this point ) for better "burst" skills. I love the damage of Pistol Whip, but the associated abilties on the weapon bar that accompany it are subpar. Pistol/Pistol is an incredibly boring weaponset. Dagger/Dagger is the last bastion of engaging Thief play, they can't nerf the damage of heartseeker without increasing it somewhere else on the line. Heartseeker and Throw Dagger being our highest damage attacks outside of stealth with Daggers.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Err, ever played a defensive guardian or warrior build? Heck, even an elementalist with a healing build.
    You definitely should last more than a few seconds against 2 players with those if you know what you're doing (or even against much larger numbers).

Not saying thief burst is OP, but the "2 players should always win" argument only holds water if those two players know how to play and how to coordinate. And even then things like cooldowns might end up turning the tables.

Here's the thing... and you all can message me if you want me to prove it... but a tank specced guardian WILL NOT die in 2 seconds to anything short of a full on zerg or coordinated group..

The guardian has too many ways and forcing people away or flat negating damage.  I've survived as a lvl 30 guardian against multiple thieves and masses of people.. (I play like a combat medic so when I say i can last longer than 2 seconds I've done it many many times).

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Two observations:

PvP in GW1 was balanced monthly.  Abilities can be set to  work differently in PvP vs PvE.

Right now the range of player skill is huge, so it is hard to judge whether a class is weak or just that particular player.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Wait.... how does anyone die in 2 sec that's not just standing there?

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

New patch today, 09.14.2012 and a message to the "l2p" crowd:

Thief Class changes:

Heartseeker: Reduced damage of the 100%-50% threshold by 20%. Damage thresholds changed. Old: 100%-66%, 66%-33%, 33%-0%. New: 100%-50%, 50%-25%, 25%-0%.

Faster than I thought, but this was obvious to those who have a certain pvp game expirience in the last years and tried all classes in GW2.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Naevius

Two observations:PvP in GW1 was balanced monthly.  Abilities can be set to  work differently in PvP vs PvE.Right now the range of player skill is huge, so it is hard to judge whether a class is weak or just that particular player. 

So did they manage to separate the pvp and pve functions in this game? I thought I read a long time ago that pvp balance would not screw with pve. Maybe it was only a hopeful dream.