Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Only Negative TSW Thread Ever

UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

I love The Secret World, I really really really do, I hope it lasts a thousand years. I have a great time playing it, the setting is like a dream come true for me, the leveling scheme is deep and engrossing, and now I'm hooked up with the best RP cabal EVER!

That said, the problem with story-based MMOs is that constantly encountering random strangers from the internet doesn't contribute anything to a story.  In fact, a story-based MMO is constantly going to be spending resources on mitigating the DAMAGE that encounters with strangers naturally have on the story they are trying to tell.  Thus instancing, thus tiny shards, thus all PVP being shoved over into a corner and made as inconsequential as possible.

No offense, but if I'm playing a game and really getting into the awesome story, the LAST thing I want is one of you guys showing up with your stupid name and your stupid clothes jumping around like a retard and killing the boss for me, so I can wait 15 seconds for him to re-appear, thus reminding me of ultimately inconsequential my actions truly are.

The Secret World is the best-implemented example of what's probably a failed concept.  Story-based themeparks will not be better than this one.

Comments

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I'll be honest, I'm usually the type of person that plays a lot and not neccessarily rushes to end game but doesn't mind taking the fast track to the end game.  With TSW though the story is so amazing that I find myself having to do every single quest.  So while what you described doesn't really bother me, I can however understand your fusteration with wanting to experience the game with as much emersion as possible.

Cant wait till we get our rocket launchers!

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

I'll be honest, I'm usually the type of person that plays a lot and not neccessarily rushes to end game but doesn't mind taking the fast track to the end game.  With TSW though the story is so amazing that I find myself having to do ever single quest.  So while what you described doesn't really bother me, I can however understand your fusteration with wanting to experience the game with as much emersion as possible.

It's not a word - but it should be!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If someone kill stealed a boss on you, you should have made a bug report. Mobs in tsw are meant to register quest rewards / progression for everyone that tagged them, just like gw2. I have come across the odd mob that registered like a wow mob (first hit only got credit) and sent reports, tsw mobs are not supposed to work like that, and usually don't.
  • plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50

Personally I find the other people around makes the story more consequential, more real.  Everyone does kill the same boss leading to the occasionally moment of belief suspension in the story.  However, having other people around and sometimes fighting in the same area or the same thing as you reinforces the lore that the secret world is collapsing and everyone from all factions are pulling together.  The lore does not make you out to be a "grand hero" per se or at least not to the same level that many other mmos do; just another cog in the machine trying to stop the impending darkness.  

Although I hear a lot of people complaining that this plays like a single player game, removing the other people who kill the lore and the world in my opinion.  In may be MMO-lite in terms of the "others" needed, but they nonetheless need to be there.  

On the RP side of things it has been quite nice to have pick up RP; especially in those moments where everyone is killing the boss.  It can be quite funny and can even lend to the conspiracy of the world if you let it.  Even if other people behave odd or whatever it doesn't break the immersion for me, add to it.  Just like real life, some people behave completely inappropriate for the setting.

It's not so much the story, as the way the quests are multi tiered and typically take 20 to 30 minutes to complete. If you haven't got much time you can log on do one quest through and still feel like you've done something. I think pve leveling wise in an mmo I would love some combination of gw2s DEs and with tsws multi tiered quests (instead of the hearts). E.g. not many quests like say 5 per zone, but make them big, diverse, with multiple stages & repeatable
    The people saying tsw plays like a sprpg, haven't played swtor obviously
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Hah this has always been interesting to me.  Maybe because I am just social, I don't mind looking for a guild of complete strangers and making friends with them.  I know some people always complain that MMORPG's don't do a good job of creating gameplay where you must interact with others.  But heck I never see that as a problem because I'm out there trying to make friends and make a name for myself.  I guess thats why I didn't even mind SWTOR that much.

But you are definitly right.  Kingsmouth is pretty solo friendly, and even Savage Coast to an extent, but Blue Mountains onward is just a massive pain in the bum if your not grouping with people to get stuff done!

Originally posted by gracefield
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

I'll be honest, I'm usually the type of person that plays a lot and not neccessarily rushes to end game but doesn't mind taking the fast track to the end game.  With TSW though the story is so amazing that I find myself having to do ever single quest.  So while what you described doesn't really bother me, I can however understand your fusteration with wanting to experience the game with as much emersion as possible.

It's not a word - but it should be!

And yea typing from my phone keyboard at 3 a.m. leads to bad grammer image
  • ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    I'm confused by your dislike of other people in the game with you. You guys do know you've bought an mmorpg right?
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Thats a pretty lame reason to not like a game, half of it is made up as well.

Please refrain from doing reviews in the future.

Thanks.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

It is no more or less a SPrpg than any other game.  These games are made so as to allow a great deal of single player content.  Why?  Because, it seems, that is what the majority of people want.  However, like every other game, things go faster if you group up.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.