Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trade Prices... for real?

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Wth is going on.. NO ONE sells food on tp.. how is this possible? o_O
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I think it's mostly because food in particular is very much underpriced as well.

Lots of highlevel food going for 3-4 copper / piece. Many chefs in my guild just hand it out instead of actually attempting to sell it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Why is this bad?

When you get higher you don't need cash anyway

You obviously have not played at the higher levels the repairs and teleporting costs an insane amount of money nearly 4s to teleport and 1.5s every time you die. Weapons sell for 1.5s to the shop or in the AH to put it in perspective.

The only thing that may save it is the MMORPG economy inflation kicking in and in 6 months you will have so much more money that those costs wont matter, but as it is, you will need money unless you walk everywhere and never die. Cause they cost a small fortune over time.

^^ This lol

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by thekid1 This is exactly why I stopped playing Wow (after a few weeks) Crafting COSTS money instead of making it (in general) BUT in GW2 atleast the crafted weapons/armor are as good as the dropped ones. So hopefully there will be money to be made once the market settles down and on higher level items.   Edit. I just used up a lot of items (scales, blood, etc.) and  bought logs etc. from the TP to get to level 50 in crafting. Only to find out the stuff I can craft is to low for my level.. Keeping up crafting level to make gear for your character level seems mighty expensie right now. I think I'm gonna stop crafting and just buy the gear :(   Plus I have most of the gear I need anyway from drops and otherwise I could buy them with karma points. PLUS for example you can't craft a level 21 bow (only 20/25/30/35/etc.) but they do drop. (with higher stats  then a crafted lvl 20 bow)   Right now it seems like WOW unfortunatly and crafting is pointless.

You are underestimating the importantance of sigils when it comes to crafting and how easily you can tailor your gear when crafting. At lower levels, it doesn't make much of a difference; however, once you get past level 60 it can make a world of difference.

However, themepark games typically make crafting useless, which is sad.

Edit:

I wonder if people invested in WvW thought of the impact having a universal auction house has on the power dynamic? Maybe you'll see people start selling things for higher prices once everyone realizes that not doing so might actually hurt their server in the long run ;)

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    In WoW there were only a select few items that were worth crafting if you were looking to make a profit.  By and large if you want to make money it's always typically been better to sell the raw materials rather than the crafted item they make.  That frustrated me in WoW and it frustrates me in this game.  Your effort to learn a pattern and take the time to gather the materials and make the item should equal a higher price than the materials themselves, but it's just not typically the case.
  • ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    In WoW there were only a select few items that were worth crafting if you were looking to make a profit.  By and large if you want to make money it's always typically been better to sell the raw materials rather than the crafted item they make.  That frustrated me in WoW and it frustrates me in this game.  Your effort to learn a pattern and take the time to gather the materials and make the item should equal a higher price than the materials themselves, but it's just not typically the case.

But this is hardly a design flaw, this is people being stupid. Hard to fix that.

Originally posted by Grimlock426

The reason this is the case is because in themepark games everyone can craft which means everyone does. Thus, what you have is a flooded market of completed goods and a shortage of the supply to create said goods.  In sandbox games, typically only dedicated crafters (sacraficing power or massive amounts of time) can craft the even medimum level gear (and in some cases higher quality low level gear), which makes the crafted gear cost > mats to produce it. 

The way a themepark game corrects this is typically introducing rare crafting recipies from mob drops. I wouldn't be surpirsed if GW2 does something similar. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I am not too worried, I buy everything I need from the cash shop
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    @xipher (i can't quote in the mobile version)

When you vendor an item, that item is lost. It is gone and no one benefits except for the tiny amount of money you made. Sometimes, some people aren't exclusively focused on making money. Sometimes people can think "well if I'm going to vendor it, I ,might as well let someone buy it for the same price so it gets put to use".

Not everything is driven purely by money.
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    bots will ruin it all sadly.
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    @xipher (i can't quote in the mobile version)

When you vendor an item, that item is lost. It is gone and no one benefits except for the tiny amount of money you made. Sometimes, some people aren't exclusively focused on making money. Sometimes people can think "well if I'm going to vendor it, I ,might as well let someone buy it for the same price so it gets put to use".

Not everything is driven purely by money.

I understand that, which is why one of my later replies points out that, in themepark games, the maket of crafted items is usually flooded while there is scaracity of crafting supplies. I'm not going to lie, I've done that for low level items. 

I'm also curious on how people are going to react once everyone realizes that the acution house is universal (across all servers) and how that can affect WvW. I think it'll be intresting to see price spikes as a means to thwarting opposing servers. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

The market is universal? No wonder there are like hundreds of thousands of sources. Makes more sense now lol.
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    The market is universal? No wonder there are like hundreds of thousands of sources. Makes more sense now lol.

Yup. Its actually a great feature IMO and its part of the reason why it wasn't working all that well and how to be fixed. But  I know for a fact most people don't know that. Once it becomes common knowledge I won't be surprised if you see Exotics selling for much higher, simply as a way to thwart opposition in WvW

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The sheer volume of sellers in a game-wide market will keep prices bottomed-out on all but the most awesome items. See Diablo 3's market for a look to the future.
    I mean epics aren't that much better than easily acquired gear, so it wouldn't thwart other worlds that much. Plus since it is universal
    , but you are only competing against two other worlds, the "thwarting" is diluted quite a bit.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    The sheer volume of sellers in a game-wide market will keep prices bottomed-out on all but the most awesome items. See Diablo 3's market for a look to the future.

This man speaks the truth ^

The only thing that has a chance to recover are the lower level materials for crafting once supply diminishes from the intial stock up and the majority of the population completes those initial areas and the trickle of mats coming in are only from new players, alts and smart people that farm them to capitalize on the low supply.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Why is this bad?

When you get higher you don't need cash anyway

You obviously have not played at the higher levels the repairs and teleporting costs an insane amount of money nearly 4s to teleport and 1.5s every time you die. Weapons sell for 1.5s to the shop or in the AH to put it in perspective.

The only thing that may save it is the MMORPG economy inflation kicking in and in 6 months you will have so much more money that those costs wont matter, but as it is, you will need money unless you walk everywhere and never die. Cause they cost a small fortune over time.

Same as siege equipment and upgrades for WvW. 6s  for consumable arrow carts 10s for balisistas at the lowest end up to 30s for some upgrades and around 70s for a waypoint in a captured keep.

Like you said 1.5 silver for a level 80 weapon, I'm just 35, anything I get is worth much less. Ten dollars is starting to seem like the more viable option. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Several things going on here atm.

People are still leveling up their first character so they are pulling in a lot of loot. Most people are also struggling with bag space. It is easier to throw something into the AH (which you can do from anywhere), than it is to run to a vendor and unload. There are thousands and thousands of the same quest/drops in the world right now. Vendor value is what they are actually worth.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Tayah

I think it has a lot to do with the Trading Post being down since release most of the time. What you have now is everyone just throwing their stuff up and taking the minimum to make it easier for themselves, not realizing they can make more if they just vendor it. Then on top of that, the trading post is across all servers, further flooding it, and making everything even more worthless.

Hopefully, later on it will settle to where everything isn't just worth a few copper. Right now is the time to buy for crafting though I guess.

On a slightly different subject, the coin drop in this game is absolutely terrible. Events at 69 were giving me a little more than 2 silver/karma/xp. Others I know are already 80 and say the coin still sucks from mob drops and events. image I did happen to finally get some decent coin which was a little more than 32 silver for completing a zone, yeesh.

Why are they always so stingy with the coin, it was the same way in Guild Wars 1, ugh.

It's easier to give than to take away.  IF they start low they can later adjust that up.  IF the start too high then adjust that down, people will bitch. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    This is why you don't launch with your trade system not intact. The economy is so screwed up atm. Hold onto your stuff, come back in 3 months, and maybe it will be worth something.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    try buying some jute scraps or venom sacs or tiny totems. I can gather as much ore and wood as I want but they are useless without al thos little blue items. This morning I debated selling my "bone chip"collection on the market or use them to level my weaponsmith. They were selling for 50 copper each for a while

I miss DAoC

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    One thing is certain - it is a good time to buy crafted stuff. People are dumping that for almost nothing.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Vannor

It's a mess because higher players are just vendoring their junk loot or stuff they usually wouldn't bother to auction on the TP instead of a vendor, so they don't have to run to a vendor. It brings the value of everything lower down to almost nothing. Being able to list items from anywhere was a mistake. The fact the TP has been down for so long just makes it even worse since the whole market is oversatutrated with the items people saved to sell. While all the backed up items are selling we are all still getting more items to sell and matching the prices of the backed up items. It won't get better anytime soon and it may never recover, especially if the game stays as popular as it is. The only way to make things the way they were intended to be would be to turn off getting/making loot for as long as the TP has been down.. and that isn't ever going to happen.

Yes, either they should have allowed you to sell to vendor from anywhere or remove the ability to auction from anywhere. Does not make much sense to allow one but not the other.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by rwyan

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

Yea, this just proves most people are idiots. They sell the stuff for 1c over the vendor price but they are actually losing money due to the list fee. I don't even know why they bother but thier are some idiots out there that is for sure. I have found a few items up on the broker that sells for more than the people listed it for! Go figure right. Some people just do not take into account the listing fee's so in the end they are just losing money.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Anything people level crafting on is going to sell for less (much less, usually) than it cost to make it.  

For every 1 person that needs that crafted item, more than 1 person made it to level on particularly with how the discovery system works.

If this were ever not the case, people would buy up all materials and level to 80 exclusively through crafting...they wouldnt get to do it for long though because the act of doing so would once again make the goods worth less than the materials before long.

Expect 99% of weapons, armor, and jewelry to be this way, with only obscure side items hardly anyone bothers with being able to turn a profit...at least sub 80.    It may be this way for a long time, possibly forever.

Remember, the discovery system encourages you to make one of many different items.   Remember everyone crafting is doing it.   Then think about how many items you buy while leveling.  Think about how many items ANYONE buys while leveling.    Then think about how many things you craft.     You probably craft more than the average person buys already.   Now consider that there's item drops too, and people pick those up and use them sometimes, then don't buy anything!