Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: PAX Prime Meet 'n' Greet Post-mortem

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,750Administrator Uncommon

In this week's column, we're discussing our recent meet 'n' greet at this year's PAX Prime and opening things up for feedback on future community events.

This year, we’ve also begun putting on Meet ‘n’ Greet events during some of the year’s most prominent fan conventions, namely both PAX shows in Boston and Seattle. Our first event at PAX East was the first event I’d ever put on and we did it without a budget. We all met up in a hole-in-the-wall bar in Boston and had an awesome corner of the bar all to ourselves. I’m being sarcastic here. It kind of sucked, but thankfully, people showed up and still had a great time. There was a lot of great conversation to be had and it was great meeting our readers face-to-face and enabling our readers to meet and mingle with each other as well.

Read more of Michael Bitton's PAX Prime Meet 'n' Greet Post-mortem.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

• scaryboosterscarybooster lincoln, NEPosts: 18Member
    Unfortunately, I did not attend. I love Seattle and wish I was there. This event you hosted sounds awesome. I suggest games like bobbing for apples with prizes on the apples or shiver shots on developers.

Sadly, I never even heard about this meet-n-Greet until now. Maybe a flashing banner on the front page for a week prior? Overall it sounds epic and I wish I was there. Shoot, I've never even been to a gaming/comic Con before so that would be cool in itself.
  • starstar Seattle, WAPosts: 1,101Member
    Yes, I attended. I had been keeping my eyes on the news/staff blog, for information; but Mike got to me first.

I think the only thing I'd like to see is maybe a little group introduction or *something* to break how clique-y it got. I rolled in around 8:10 and there had already been a table filled, that I don't think talked with anyone else the entire evening, and never really opened up for an opportunity to say hi :(

Having the devs there is a plus and a minus, it's awesome to meet people who's work you support, and having a beer with Colin Johanson and just chatting is about as cool as it gets; but there were moments when they kinda sequestered themselves off and were just talking shop; which I get and is inevitable on some levels at an event like this, especially on the heels of a major release.

All in all, I would definitely go again, this was easily the best party I went to for PAX (tied with the PAX Ladies meet up).

• LoboMauLoboMau Marinha GrandePosts: 396Member
    Great Ideia! :)
  • jdw715jdw715 seattle, WAPosts: 4Member Uncommon
    Couldn't make it as I was at the Turbine Party