Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 break any records?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    Originally posted by Creslin321

You're the one dreaming, friend. I dare you to go look into the SWTOR/Rift forum or any other MMO that had big sales in the last few years. The boards are exactly the same as GW2 is now for the first month. A lot of people loving it, the journey was great, blah blah, a couple of bored people here and there, but nothing too drastic, not for the first few weeks. The wake-up call  comes month down the road when people realize they've been there and done that. If you think GW2's zergy WvWvW PvP, sPvP and rehashed DEs will save them from the same fate, you are the one who's delusional, my friend. I guarantee you GW2 will not grow past the initial release rush because it doesn't do anything different enough to bring players outside the stale MMORPG playerbase. I'd be willing to put money on that.

How much, and do you have Paypal lol ;).

But honestly, I agree that GW2's "active players" will die down after the release rush.  This is just common sense...even if you adore the game, you can't afford to play it obsessively for a year straight, and you will eventually burn through the content.

This is not new though...IMO, what keeps people coming back are greate experiences.  Like, if I play GW2 for 2 months, have an awesome experience, and then take a break...I am way more likely to buy an expansion than if I left the game in disgust.

As it stands now, I will DEFINITELY buy a GW2 expansion, and I think that a very large percentage of the GW2 playerbase will as well.  It's just a very well made game, and more of it seems like a wonderful prospect to me.

Also, I think that the B2P model ameliorates the necessity to keep people actively playing your game...I already spent $35 on the cash shop and it hasn't been out for a month.  So I think that a lot of players will wind up spending their money "up front" in bursts rather than having it slowly but reliability trickle in like it would with the sub model.

So do I, with enough funds from selling stuff in Diablo RMAH to match any wager you'd like to do.

Additionally, I remember reading from one of the rabid fanbois that GW2 devs said they were not going for GW1's cash-in-with-an-expansion-every-x-months model, and instead where going to add free content and  bank on microtransactions. No quotes on that, but if that's the case, then GW2 will need to maintain a substantial active playerbase to make profit from microtransactions.

We'll see down the road I guess. For the time being my money is on GW2 being no different than the latest batch of AAA themeparks.

Have you played it?  I'm not saying that to be coy or anything, because it honestly is a good game.  I wouldn't lie to you...it's fairly different from other AAA themeparks.  Even if you only play it for a month, if you enjoy it, you will get your money's worth.

You may want to give it a try, all I'm saying.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Eir_S

GW2 had as much hype and marketing behind it as SWTOR did, if not more.

lol No.

Yeah really, 90% of the hype and marketing for GW2 was word of mouth by fans.  SWTOR had tons of OMFG AWOE-SOME mega-expensive CG trailers.

It wasn't just the trailers, it was the popularity behind Bioware and the marketing by EA, and the partnership with Lucasarts.  There hasn't been a game that hyped and marketed in years.  It had tons of expectations behind it based almost solely on the histories of the companies involved.  GW2, in comparison, had people frothing on forums.

Krytycal and hikaru77 need to get their facts straight in this thread, it's almost unbelievable the bs they're spewing.

Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't make it BS. GW2 had as much hype and marketing as SWTOR in the places I frequent. Which are probably the places that count when it comes to MMORPG sales. You're not going to get a CoD junkie playing SWTOR after watching an ad on PS3, doesn't work that way. I guarantee the majority of MMORPG players were aware of GW2 because it was hyped and advertised in the circles they frequent just as much as SWTOR was. If you don't find that believable then you're being intentionally obtuse.

I wasn't a particular fan of either IP and I was personally more hyped for GW2 than I ever was for SWTOR.

Ok, then where were the big TV and Youtube spots for the game?  Why didn't I see GW2 banners everywhere?  How many millions of dollars was it that EA spent advertising SWTOR again?

Oh but because you saw it hyped in "the circles you frequent" means it had as much marketing.  Hype?  Maybe.  The betas made people crazy... but you talk as if ANet themselves put even a fraction of the effort into a full-on marketing campaign as EA and Bioware did, and that's simply wishful thinking, ie: BS.  You put Star Wars on something and then market it, it's going to sell really well.  Sure it didn't help them in the end, but that's not the argument.  There's no contest, and if you still think GW2 had as much marketing behind it as a game developed by EA, Bioware, and Lucasarts, well that's your problem.  Unless you can prove your statement, I'm not taking your claim seriously and I can't think of anyone who would.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

NO. is even behind swtor on sales,  and is B2P wich mean, for an overhyper game like gw2 should had sold more copies, i remember NCsoft talking about 3-5mill of copies at launch, is far behind that number. 

Odd. It's sold out at a lot of stores and they postponed the sale on the official website.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

You're the one dreaming, friend. I dare you to go look into the SWTOR/Rift forum or any other MMO that had big sales in the last few years. The boards are exactly the same as GW2 is now for the first month. A lot of people loving it, the journey was great, blah blah, a couple of bored people here and there, but nothing too drastic, not for the first few weeks. The wake-up call  comes month down the road when people realize they've been there and done that. If you think GW2's zergy WvWvW PvP, sPvP and rehashed DEs will save them from the same fate, you are the one who's delusional, my friend. I guarantee you GW2 will not grow past the initial release rush because it doesn't do anything different enough to bring players outside the stale MMORPG playerbase. I'd be willing to put money on that.

But honestly, I agree that GW2's "active players" will die down after the release rush.  This is just common sense...even if you adore the game, you can't afford to play it obsessively for a year straight, and you will eventually burn through the content.

This is not new though...IMO, what keeps people coming back are greate experiences.  Like, if I play GW2 for 2 months, have an awesome experience, and then take a break...I am way more likely to buy an expansion than if I left the game in disgust.

As it stands now, I will DEFINITELY buy a GW2 expansion, and I think that a very large percentage of the GW2 playerbase will as well.  It's just a very well made game, and more of it seems like a wonderful prospect to me.

Also, I think that the B2P model ameliorates the necessity to keep people actively playing your game...I already spent $35 on the cash shop and it hasn't been out for a month.  So I think that a lot of players will wind up spending their money "up front" in bursts rather than having it slowly but reliability trickle in like it would with the sub model.

So do I, with enough funds from selling stuff in Diablo RMAH to match any wager you'd like to do.

Additionally, I remember reading from one of the rabid fanbois that GW2 devs said they were not going for GW1's cash-in-with-an-expansion-every-x-months model, and instead where going to add free content and  bank on microtransactions. No quotes on that, but if that's the case, then GW2 will need to maintain a substantial active playerbase to make profit from microtransactions.

We'll see down the road I guess. For the time being my money is on GW2 being no different than the latest batch of AAA themeparks.

Have you played it?  I'm not saying that to be coy or anything, because it honestly is a good game.  I wouldn't lie to you...it's fairly different from other AAA themeparks.  Even if you only play it for a month, if you enjoy it, you will get your money's worth.

Of course I've played it, been playing since the first BWE and every other BWE and stress test every since, including launch. I've probably done more sPvP and WvWvW than 90% of posters in this forum. I wouldn't be talking if I hadn't. I agree it's a very nice and polished game, but it has its flaws and it's still a fantasy themepark after all.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Wow

There is more bs flying around in this thread than at a DNC or RNC rally

Impressive to say the least

LOL for real...

Normally I think that both the "hater" and "fanboi" sides of an argument get spun out of proportion.  But honestly...I relaly only see the "hater" side going crazy with the BS in this thread.

All we on the "fanboi" side of this argument are saying is that I wouldn't really call a game with a 93% metascore, and so many sales that they had to halt first-party sales a failure.  No, it doesn't mean that the game is the best MMORPG ever...but I can't see how you can get "failure" out of this evidence.

And the responses to this are...

"ANet said they would sell 3249083920 bajillion copies, and they didn't...FAIL!"

"Other themeparks failed, so this will too!  FAIL!"

"Terrible server infrastructure.  FAIL!"

Of course I've played it, been playing since the first BWE and every other BWE and stress test every since, including launch. I've probably done more sPvP and WvWvW than 90% of posters in this forum. I wouldn't be talking if I hadn't. I agree it's a very nice and polished, but it's still a fantasy themepark.

Ummm so is WoW?  Being a fantasy themepark does not pre-dispose you to failure.

Of course I've played it, been playing since the first BWE and every other BWE and stress test every since, including launch. I've probably done more sPvP and WvWvW than 90% of posters in this forum. I wouldn't be talking if I hadn't. I agree it's a very nice and polished, but it's still a fantasy themepark.

Ummm so is WoW?  Being a fantasy themepark does not pre-dispose you to failure.

WoW was THE fantasy themepark. You can be 100% sure what happened with WoW will not happen again. I posted a more detailed response to that a couple of days ago in the general pub forums somewhere if you can be bothered to check my post history.

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by sleepr27
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Well - unlike SWTOR, the game is actually good.  I think once marketing kicks in, the game will have an increase in active playerbase.  My assumption being that people tend to flock to and stick with good games (like WoW and EvE).

At least  SWTOR didn't get me bored after one week.

Well that is sorta how themeparks work. You go along for the ride and then once its done you have a jolt and sudden stop, right where you began. You can choose to ride again, or you can hop off and try the next MMO.

That being said Guild Wars 2 doesn't seem as long because of ArenaNet's "Wider than Tall" design philosphy and their attempts to reduce pointless grind. The game is very much what you make of it, there is much to do, if albeit at a lateral progression rather than vertical one.

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    rabble rabble rabble rabble
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Wow

There is more bs flying around in this thread than at a DNC or RNC rally

Impressive to say the least

LOL for real...

Normally I think that both the "hater" and "fanboi" sides of an argument get spun out of proportion.  But honestly...I relaly only see the "hater" side going crazy with the BS in this thread.

All we on the "fanboi" side of this argument are saying is that I wouldn't really call a game with a 93% metascore, and so many sales that they had to halt first-party sales a failure.  No, it doesn't mean that the game is the best MMORPG ever...but I can't see how you can get "failure" out of this evidence.

And the responses to this are...

"ANet said they would sell 3249083920 bajillion copies, and they didn't...FAIL!"

"Other themeparks failed, so this will too!  FAIL!"

"Terrible server infrastructure.  FAIL!"

Who's saying GW2 was a failure? Definitely not me. It'll probably be more successful than Rift and SWTOR, that's definitely not a failure.

I was merely pointing out someone's delusion in believing that stopping sales for your product is considered a success in the business world. It's actually a failure to forecast sales, doesn't mean the product failed, doesn't mean it shattered every human expectation. It just means some people at the marketing and finance departments didn't do their jobs right. Happens all time in businesses.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Clob

They specifically stated that they have temporarily suspended first party digital sales only.  They let everyone know that other standard avenues for purchase are still available; retail box sales and digital sales through retail partners.  For those that still want to play it's as easy as checking the local Walmart, Target, etc.  They haven't completely cut off access.

I don't always know the agendas of people to just make stuff up to make topics on games sound bad.  What we KNOW is that the sales numbers have exceeded expectations.  There were over one million pre-purchase only sales, preorder and first day sales seeminly added a ton, and then there's a week and a half of sales on top of that.  We'll have to wait a bit for some sale number announcements, but it's fairly easy to see that it's popular.  Ingame there are players everywhere.  Everytime I think I'm all alone in a really remote area I'll run into a heart quest area and within a minute there are several other people coming out of nowhere helping to complete it.

This is the usual, 'facts', argument that the diehards like to bring out.

You know include the actual fact from ANET and then your opinion at the end of the highlight to make it sound that's a fact as well.  You or I have no idea how many were preordered/first day sold/sold this week, so saying a, 'ton' is hillarious after the previous sentence.  My opinion, considering the internet hype on certain sites for GW2, more people would have prepurchased then the other two options for launch.

One thing I do know, if the figures are impressive ANET will release them within three months when players start dropping off to give the impression of high populations everywhere, it's an effective, 'cool party', marketing tool, (i.e. 'loads of people are playing this, your missing out on all the fun!).

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    and like i said, NCsoft was talking about 3-5 MIll of copies at launch, is not even close.

And like everyone else has said, you're wrong.  NCSoft never said that, but for some reason you keep repeating it.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    It broke a record for the most rabid fanbois, not even the Warhammer crowd came close. I guess any mention of a spin on DAoC's PvP gets the fanbois fired up.

It has been epic.

Ohhh what Warhammer should'vecould've been though  :(

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This whole thread is a broken record.

This quote is pure win :) lolz

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Yes it did! The most annoying system for grouping on release. Let's make a game that doesn't support grouping but call it a MMO. So what if you want to level with friends you are all in different Overflows and no you can't move to theirs.

Other than that I don't think it really broke any records.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

The sales were good and while not as high as SWTOR or WOW. They were good enough to be considered a success. Now about the love/hate thing. Why do some people think it is the generic crap? - Unless you're a big Hardcore EVE player, every mmos are pretty much similar to each other. GW2 is a good game and deserve the praises. It pushes the enveloppe far enough to open new doors to inovation. GW2 will greatly influence other MMOs and this is a good thing.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Yes it did! The most annoying system for grouping on release. Let's make a game that doesn't support grouping but call it a MMO. So what if you want to level with friends you are all in different Overflows and no you can't move to theirs.

Other than that I don't think it really broke any records.

I have heard that a few people have experienced this issue...but I've honestly NEVER had a problem with it.

If I'm in an overflow server, and my friend is in the real server, he just leaves the zone, comes back and voila!  He's in my server.  He could even just log out and in.  It seriously isn't that big of a deal.

I feel for anyone that had real problems with this, but as I understand it, it's essentially resolved now, and I NEVER had an issue with it.  This is just one of those things that detractors keep harping on like it's the end of the world.  Just like the TP that is actually up and working for everyone now.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Did GW2 break any records? Not really sure it even needs to at this point. Over 1million pre-purchases, thats not counting pre-orders or sales after launch, over 400k concurrent users durring head start we are talking before launch, gaining some of the highest reviews given to an MMO by both critics and players, sold more than projected and even had to halt digital sales.

Did it break any records? I have no idea, but it certainly seems to be doing extremely well so far lol.  

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Did GW2 break any records? Not really sure it even needs to at this point. Over 1million pre-purchases, thats not counting pre-orders or sales after launch, over 400k concurrent users durring head start we are talking before launch, gaining some of the highest reviews given to an MMO by both critics and players, sold more than projected and even had to halt digital sales.

Did it break any records? I have no idea, but it certainly seems to be doing extremely well so far lol.  

I'm pretty sure it broke the record for irrational hate lol :).

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild0-wars-2-thanksgiving-in-tyria/

i really don't care about the game one way or another.  simple google search for ncsoft projected sales of gw2.  some might surprised.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm pretty sure it broke the record for irrational hate lol :).

Hate is always irration and i agree, this game has seen the brunt of the ugly in these forums alone. People who never played it, never will, never bought the thing have flocked to these forums since before prelaunch all in the name of throwing misinformation and purile lies out there to the public.

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156
    i am pretty sure it broke the record for irrational fanbois as well.  nether side seems to want to budge
  • ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Ponico

The sales were good and while not as high as SWTOR or WOW. They were good enough to be considered a success. Now about the love/hate thing. Why do some people think it is the generic crap? - Unless you're a big Hardcore EVE player, every mmos are pretty much similar to each other. GW2 is a good game and deserve the praises. It pushes the enveloppe far enough to open new doors to inovation. GW2 will greatly influence other MMOs and this is a good thing.

I don't think we can necessarily say it hasn't exceeded SW:TOR.  Looking around I see they stated sales of 2.04 million during the week of launch.  The only thing I can find on recent total sales says 2.42 million at http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/   I won't declare that as fact.    With ANet knowing in advance of last week that they had already had over one million prepurchased, yet when preorders and launch sales still added so much that it went above what they expected...  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

It broke the record for...

"number of adult players complaining a player in their group doesn't play correctly, when said player is under 12 years of age"

...previously held by Hello Kitty Online.

You've been having this go on?

I have to say this has been the most laid back I have ever seen group play. I have not run into a single dick blaming people for things or remarking on their gameplay.

Han't even seen a rage quit yet which considering I pug dungeons is pretty impressive.

Now if Icould only use the term "pretty impressive" to describe the dungeons themselves...but that is a different story.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

NO. is even behind swtor on sales,  and is B2P wich mean, for an overhyper game like gw2 should had sold more copies, i remember NCsoft talking about 3-5mill of copies at launch, is far behind that number. 

it is behind swtor in RETAIL sales IN THE UK.

The reporter didn't have numbers for digital sales and digital sales are becoming more and more common. GW2 may very well have sold more accounts than SWTOR, we simply don't know yet.

All die, so die well.