Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trade Prices... for real?

rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by rwyan

Maybe its just a case of the economy starting its initial adjustments to the recently opened trade house... but most everything seems to be selling for just a copper more than a vendor sell price.

You'd make more coin selling the resources needed to make a finished good than the finished good itself.  I was doing decent selling finished goods prior the opening of the market... but now, if this continues, it'll kill the gratification in gathering my own resources and selling finished goods to players.

I know what you mean - it will eventually balance out. This is just a new economy and a lot of people trying to sell the most necessary things. I'm also frustrated with the gems -> gold exchange rate and vice versa. 

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Economy needs time to stabilize, like this for most MMOs, but the problem was compounded by the Trading Post being down for so long. As players spread out, people actually get money, the market will find some sort of equilibrium eventually... so long as Trading Post stays up.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I'm crossing my fingers.  With limited storage space, I hope its a case of everyone unloading their hoarded items they've been wanting to sell since release.  
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's a mess because higher players are just vendoring their junk loot or stuff they usually wouldn't bother to auction on the TP instead of a vendor, so they don't have to run to a vendor. It brings the value of everything lower down to almost nothing. Being able to list items from anywhere was a mistake. The fact the TP has been down for so long just makes it even worse since the whole market is oversatutrated with the items people saved to sell. While all the backed up items are selling we are all still getting more items to sell and matching the prices of the backed up items. It won't get better anytime soon and it may never recover, especially if the game stays as popular as it is. The only way to make things the way they were intended to be would be to turn off getting/making loot for as long as the TP has been down.. and that isn't ever going to happen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Why is this bad?

When you get higher you don't need cash anyway
    Originally posted by Vannor

It's a mess because higher players are just vendoring their junk loot or stuff they usually wouldn't bother to auction on the TP instead of a vendor, so they don't have to run to a vendor. It brings the value of everything lower down to almost nothing. The fact the TP has been down for so long just makes it even worse since the whole market is oversatutrated. It may never recover, especially if the game stays as popular as it is.

Is that really an issue? With the instant deposit of collectables to the bank from any location, and a generous use of salavage kits while in the field (I plan on crafting eventually and its the only way to get hides/cloth) outside of a long Explorable run I always have a ton of free space.

Granted, I am using crafted 10/15 slot bags but even with spare sets of equipment I never really run into space issues. Even befpre I got high slot bags and was using 8 slotters I didn't have too many issues because there are so many vendors on the map.

If you complete a Heart quest it turns into a karma merchant, and all of them have sell tabs where you can sell junk items for silver. There are enough Heart quests/karma merchants on the map that unless you are finding A LOT of good stuff (stuff that you wouldn't want to vendor) you shouldn't run into inventory issues.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Why is this bad?

You obviously have not played at the higher levels the repairs and teleporting costs an insane amount of money nearly 4s to teleport and 1.5s every time you die. Weapons sell for 1.5s to the shop or in the AH to put it in perspective.

The only thing that may save it is the MMORPG economy inflation kicking in and in 6 months you will have so much more money that those costs wont matter, but as it is, you will need money unless you walk everywhere and never die. Cause they cost a small fortune over time.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I think it has a lot to do with the Trading Post being down since release most of the time. What you have now is everyone just throwing their stuff up and taking the minimum to make it easier for themselves, not realizing they can make more if they just vendor it. Then on top of that, the trading post is across all servers, further flooding it, and making everything even more worthless.

Hopefully, later on it will settle to where everything isn't just worth a few copper. Right now is the time to buy for crafting though I guess.

On a slightly different subject, the coin drop in this game is absolutely terrible. Events at 69 were giving me a little more than 2 silver/karma/xp. Others I know are already 80 and say the coin still sucks from mob drops and events. image I did happen to finally get some decent coin which was a little more than 32 silver for completing a zone, yeesh.

Why are they always so stingy with the coin, it was the same way in Guild Wars 1, ugh.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Ariolander

It's a mess because higher players are just vendoring their junk loot or stuff they usually wouldn't bother to auction on the TP instead of a vendor, so they don't have to run to a vendor. It brings the value of everything lower down to almost nothing. The fact the TP has been down for so long just makes it even worse since the whole market is oversatutrated. It may never recover, especially if the game stays as popular as it is.

Is that really an issue? With the instant deposit of collectables to the bank from any location, and a generous use of salavage kits while in the field (I plan on crafting eventually and its the only way to get hides/cloth) outside of a long Explorable run I always have a ton of free space.

Granted, I am using crafted 10/15 slot bags but even with spare sets of equipment I never really run into space issues. Even befpre I got high slot bags and was using 8 slotters I didn't have too many issues because there are so many vendors on the map.

If you complete a Heart quest it turns into a karma merchant, and all of them have sell tabs where you can sell junk items for silver. There are enough Heart quests/karma merchants on the map that unless you are finding A LOT of good stuff (stuff that you wouldn't want to vendor) you shouldn't run into inventory issues.

It isn't needed, no. Doesn't change the fact that people are still doing it though. No matter how big your inv is, it looks better when it's not full... people will continue to do it. Higher levels are often advising lower levels to start doing it to 'make life easier'.

It isn't needed, no. Doesn't change the fact that people are still doing it though. No matter how big your inv is, it looks better when it's not full... people will continue to do it. Higher levels are often advising lower levels to start doing it to 'make life easier'.

True, can't force people to play smart.

Pretty bad way of managing your inventory in my opinion.

You pay taxes on everything you list, whether it sells or not, so with such thin margins, I would rather keep my current copper, and get the isntant gratification from a vendor, than waiting that limbo period where I may or may-not get my initial copper investment back/hastle with picking my silver up when I am in town.

Quite the price to pay just so your inventory looks pretty =/

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Everything is indeed ridiculously cheap.

Blues and even greens often seem to be sold below the vendor price, especially when you take into account the -15% tax total. Even yellows can run as cheap as a couple of silver. When I hit 50, I bought a complete new set of green accessories for maybe 6-7 silver total.

I made some bags and a couple of yellow pieces through tailoring and checked the price: selling them wouldn't even get my production cost back due to the fees that need to be paid.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    I can honestly say this is the first MMO I've played were the AH was selling items at such a low cost. Usually, its at least 25% higher than the vendor price. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80

I worked so hard leveling up JC and Armorsmithing....I was like 375 by like day 4 and my whole guild was like dude wtf  how are you leveling it so fast? I saved up all my stuff to sell hoping to turn a profit from the nice stuff i made and was disgusted when it finally launched -.-" I dont know, is it that all the servers share was trading post instead of a per server trading post? If so thats going to crush the economy of the game.

Also, I feel that leveling to 80 is way to fast and unbalanced. It's like they are throwing xp at you. I got to 80 in about <90~ or so hours and I spent alot of time afk/sleeping while logged in. No real pacing to it and it feels like i missed out on a lot of content. I'm not about to go and redo all of that content because of the amount of crap that needs to be done to get your gear at lv80, I know i could but it feels like it's just a waste to me. I wanted to even out my leveling experience but with the amount of xp you get from crafting and your personal story alone, it just felt to wierd being max level just a few days after the game released.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

The problem is that most people are mouth-breathers (no offense to anyone who is actually dismayed by the current economy).

When you open up the sell interface and put an item up, it pre-populates the sell value with 1c more than the vendor price(the system will not accept blank or less than the vendor price, so that is the lowest value the system will allow). People don't realise that you actually need to set a price on an item in order to get money for it, so they just put it in the trade interface and hit post, over and over... Then once there is a certain mass of them, people see "462 for 12c" and just choose to match the bid, because with 462 ahead of you setting it at 50c is never going to sell...

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76

I'm happy with the TP prices. Made almost 10 gold by keeping ALL the mats since lvl1 then I sold EVERETYHING when the TP was finally stable. Stuff like blood, scales, fang, cotton, etc go for nice money. I had hundreds of those things just from events and quests. Sold some blood for 1s each last night! Hint: Refresh a couple of times before selling, the money people offer for mats change every second! ;) It's also a good idea to mine higher lvl ores while exploring and sell them on TP, at least 5-6s profit if you find a decent offer on TP. I don't even set my own price, just sell to people who want stuff...

However, I gave up crafting because making my own gear costs more than just buying them from TP... For example, I had to buy NPC stuff for 4s to make darksteel ingots or something... I can buy 5 or 6 armor pieces for 4s... -_- Crafting is getting expensive at higher lvls, I think I'll just max it whenever I have too much unwanted money after 80, lol. I have to save up for cultural armor now, that's like 20 gold for one piece, but I REALLY want the lvl80 set... (Sorry my English is bad).

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Ariolander

True, can't force people to play smart.

Pretty bad way of managing your inventory in my opinion.

You pay taxes on everything you list, whether it sells or not, so with such thin margins, I would rather keep my current copper, and get the isntant gratification from a vendor, than waiting that limbo period where I may or may-not get my initial copper investment back/hastle with picking my silver up when I am in town.

Quite the price to pay just so your inventory looks pretty =/

Yeah, at the price they are posting it, -listing fee and -sales tax, I would rather just vendor it...

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by maskmurda

I worked so hard leveling up JC and Armorsmithing....I was like 375 by like day 4 and my whole guild was like dude wtf  how are you leveling it so fast? I saved up all my stuff to sell hoping to turn a profit from the nice stuff i made and was disgusted when it finally launched -.-" I dont know, is it that all the servers share was trading post instead of a per server trading post? If so thats going to crush the economy of the game.

How is that going to mess up the economy? People are just selling things below cost to un load it. Thats the main issue.

Also, I feel that leveling to 80 is way to fast and unbalanced. It's like they are throwing xp at you. I got to 80 in about <90~ or so hours and I spent alot of time afk/sleeping while logged in. No real pacing to it and it feels like i missed out on a lot of content. I'm not about to go and redo all of that content because of the amount of crap that needs to be done to get your gear at lv80, I know i could but it feels like it's just a waste to me. I wanted to even out my leveling experience but with the amount of xp you get from crafting and your personal story alone, it just felt to wierd being max level just a few days after the game released.

You played the game 90 hrs in a few days. Thats insane. 

I honestly blame the people putting things on the AH and no one else. If you can get the same gold from vendoring, why not just vendor it? The whole point of selling it to other players is to make money. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by STDB

However, I gave up crafting because making my own gear costs more than just buying them from TP... For example, I had to buy NPC stuff for 4s to make darksteel ingots or something... I can buy 5 or 6 armor pieces for 4s... -_- Crafting is getting expensive at higher lvls, I think I'll just max it whenever I have too much unwanted money after 80, lol. I have to save up for cultural armor now, that's like 20 gold for one piece, but I REALLY want the lvl80 set... (Sorry my English is bad).

I've quit crafting for the same reasons.

Your english is excellent btw.

Hmm. This is rather interesting.

Tell me, is the Trading Post up atm? Sounds like I should take a look at the gear there.

Also, it sounds like I always know how to earn gold on... Hehe...

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

This isn't that surprising, people in an economy are not in average behaving rationally. In EVE, which has a well-established 350k player wide economy, some people are still building and selling products under the resource price. When asked why are they being stupid and doing that, they usually say they don't care that much for the profit and instead enjoy the building process itself. This issue gets more pronounced the more competitive a market is (the more people participate).

Nevertheless, this shouldn't happen for every product on the market and there should be some goods which are marginally profitable after market somewhat settles. 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Why is this bad?

This statement makes it blatantly obvious that you are not high level and have yet to experience that content.

Yes, you need cash at those levels, more than ever.

Well last time I checked, Vial of thin blood costed around 2 silver for one. I think thats a little expensive but may just be me
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by STDB

I'm happy with the TP prices. Made almost 10 gold by keeping ALL the mats since lvl1 then I sold EVERETYHING when the TP was finally stable. Stuff like blood, scales, fang, cotton, etc go for nice money. I had hundreds of those things just from events and quests. Sold some blood for 1s each last night! Hint: Refresh a couple of times before selling, the money people offer for mats change every second! ;) It's also a good idea to mine higher lvl ores while exploring and sell them on TP, at least 5-6s profit if you find a decent offer on TP. I don't even set my own price, just sell to people who want stuff...

I made 25g the first two hours it was stable selling hoarded mats.

At this time, I'm sitting on 76g.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

This is exactly why I stopped playing Wow (after a few weeks)

Crafting COSTS money instead of making it (in general)

BUT in GW2 atleast the crafted weapons/armor are as good as the dropped ones.

So hopefully there will be money to be made once the market settles down and on higher level items.

Edit.

I just used up a lot of items (scales, blood, etc.) and  bought logs etc. from the TP to get to level 50 in crafting. Only to find out the stuff I can craft is to low for my level.. Keeping up crafting level to make gear for your character level seems mighty expensie right now.

I think I'm gonna stop crafting and just buy the gear :(

Plus I have most of the gear I need anyway from drops and otherwise I could buy them with karma points. PLUS for example you can't craft a level 21 bow (only 20/25/30/35/etc.) but they do drop. (with higher stats  then a crafted lvl 20 bow)

Right now it seems like WOW unfortunatly and crafting is pointless.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

with just leftover mats and collectibles and other stuff I don't want to sell, my bank is almost full.

my inv gets full of actual usable items, mats, etc, even without junk items in it.  I salvage everything though, rather than vendor or try to put it on the market.