Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 break any records?

DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

Comments

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I went on a 10 day cruise so I missed the "big" launch of GW2. Did it live up to the hype and break all the records, smash WoW, and all the other stuff people were saying it was going to do?

I tried searching for any big news on it and found nothing other than  decent pre-launch numbers. 

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It is a bit sold out atm.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

NO. is even behind swtor on sales,  and is B2P wich mean, for an overhyper game like gw2 should had sold more copies, i remember NCsoft talking about 3-5mill of copies at launch, is far behind that number. 

Originally posted by hikaru77

[mod edit]

You remember wrongly.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

MMORPG.com forum sentiment - GW2 has failed, OMG the false prophet!

Reality - GW2 sold so many copies that they had to halt sales.

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Well - unlike SWTOR, the game is actually good.  I think once marketing kicks in, the game will have an increase in active playerbase.  My assumption being that people tend to flock to and stick with good games (like WoW and EvE).

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

Not sure what predictions you mean, but the only statements that I've seen released are:

- there were 1 million prepurchases. (prepurchase is not the same as pre-order)

- there were 400k concurrent players during prelaunch.

- digital sales were suspended due to server load problems.

- "brick and mortar sales" appear to have done well in the charts.

To their credit NCsoft have not released their pre-order figures.  (these are *always* hopelessly inaccurate/misleading)

It's assumed that more details will appear over time (I assume for financial/trading reasons they'll need to release more figures).

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Creslin321

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomodate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term. The longer they get into release, the more people realize GW2 is just another generic fantasy themepark on a nice wrapper. The difference is GW2 is not getting any more sales, and the rose-coloured glasses are coming off.

Originally posted by Krytycal

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

[mod edit]

They never said that lol  In fact, they said the sales by launch had already exceeded their expectations.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

there have been no launch announcements yet

only this about prelaunch

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

During the headstart phase, NCsoft says demand for the game topped 400,000 simultaneous online players, calling it a “record-breaking” figure for an MMO pre-launch.

Originally posted by Eir_S

N

[mod edit]

They never said that lol  In fact, they said the sales by launch had already exceeded their expectations.

Some people will seriously do anything to paint this game as a failure, it's so ridiculous.  The reality is that right now, the game is sold out and is rated 93% on metacritic...currently tied with WoW in critic score.  I would hardly call that a failure.

I don't really understand sometimes...

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

well the game dude is prety fun.

I ve tried all other mmos till today and i have to say that gw2 is the most marvelous mmo ever played.

It has it bugs and some launch problems as every mmo has but i have to say that once those things get fixed this game will blow wow out of the water.

Not trying to hype the game i just finally found a game that is worth playing.

This year was full of crap games that i couldnt stand playing them.

I hoped for swtor then i hoped for tera then i said lets take a look at secret world but meh all those were jsut games to pass your time and not having actual fun.

Then when i tried gw2 i was jsut blow away.This game is amazing and it will become only a lot better.

I strongly encourage you to buy it as the game now stands as the only gem between all these craps hanging around trying to steal your money with all those monthly fees.

The game buy to play but becasue the game deserves the money im gonna spend more than a monthly sub and u know why because it deserves it.

Anyway good luck if u find a copy to play the game because it's currently sold out.

Originally posted by Eir_S

[mod edit]

Some people will seriously do anything to paint this game as a failure, it's so ridiculous.  The reality is that right now, the game is sold out and is rated 93% on metacritic...currently tied with WoW in critic score.  I would hardly call that a failure.

I don't really understand sometimes...

Do you guys remember when 1 million beta sign ups were meaningless?

And that translated to more than 1 million pre-purchases?

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Truth is, I don't know exactly how many they sold.  But the fact that they had to STOP sales means they obviously sold more than they expected.  I would hardly call that a failure ;).

Even if a mmo would launch now and it would get tripple the sales WoW ever did and they would all stay subbed the mmorpg.com crowd will say the game failed. Everything fails here.  

I think this forum is for people that just got bored of gaming and cant accept it because they have nothing else to do. whining whining whining is all that happens here.

Just look at the forum history it is pathetic. You people have that much free time that you get this bored and feel like posting crap that is nothing but negativety. Gaming is suposed to be fun.. if you aint having fun please just gtfo and stop playing games.

O and im sure this post is waayy to aggresive because most likely some of the 12 year olds can not handle some average raging. So please mmorpg.com admins if you feel like that dont send me another warning and just give me a perma ban.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomadate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term.

When you sell more than you thought you would...that's called being successful.  No, it doesn't prove that the game is "TEH WoW KILLAH!" or anything like that, but it proves that the game is doing well.

Do you honestly believe that after years of development, ANet's server infrastructure was so crappy that it couldn't support enough sales for the game to be considered a success?

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Onigod

I think this forum is for people that just got bored of gaming and cant accept it because they have nothing else to do.

At least bored of MMOs.  A lot of them wait and wait and wait, and then when a new game comes out, they loudly proclaim how they're just going to keep waiting.  Good luck with that, there is nothing else on the horizon in MMOs that looks like it's going to be that different.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by krakra70

We are currently at the stage where we realize it's another TERA, TSW, SWTOR etc, just without a monthly fee.

I am not part of your "we" I think.

I played TERA beta, never bought the game.

I bought TSW knowing it will last me the free month.

I still play SWTOR and have fun with it. On top of that, I am enjoying the heck out of GW2.

Isnt it interesting how people like different things ?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Yes, we have already informed Guinness that all the records in their book now belong to GW2.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Right. And TOR hadding more servers lft and right because BW didn't expect it also meant it wasn't a failure.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

after 2 weeks of constant playing i finally tear myself away to check these forums expecting to see some discussion on how the game turned out to be great after all.

some people are just going to stick to their guns no matter how well a game does and how great it is, burying their head in the sand and shouting their doom, gloom, and labeling an obviously successful game a failure -- unabashedly and directly in the face of all evidence that they are wrong.

i don't think any records were broke though.  as someone else said it doesn't seem the game sold as many copies off the bat as SWTOR. 

what gw2 did well was manage to be competitive in sales with SWTOR such that they can be compared.  i would not have predicted such a thing would happen earlier this year and its really quite a feat considering the Star Wars IP.  it may not be the #1 best selling MMORPG of all time, but that isn't the metric that makes a game great and successful.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Lol ...

Let's start with some basic rules : 

Rule 1 - Hype is bullshit  , if you believe it , then your full of it.

Rule 2 - The only game able to smash WoW is WoW itself.

Rule 3 - Never believe wtf others say about a so called game , if you can't judge the game on your own , then you'll always end                up being a peon to society.

Not in the business world it isn't. There it's called failure to project sales. It can irreparably hurt companies and people get fired over it. Shutting down sales is not a success. Especially not for an MMO themepark, where they need to sell as many copies at launch before the drop-off hits them. It will be no different with GW2 and it's already showing. Only difference is they did not grab as many sales as they possibly could, which I guarantee you months from now we'll be looking back and listing that as a reason why GW2 didn't do as well as everyone expected.

LOL you seem very sure of yourself ;).  Do you really think that all the positive word of mouth and good reviews that GW2 is getting are just going to have to effect because the game is sold out for a few weeks?  Do you really think that all the people who get turned on by GW2 will decide not to buy it because ANet underestimated its popularity?

Keep dreaming, friend.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You realize that doesn't prove anything, right?  All it shows is that they weren't prepared to accomodate the sales they did get, which if anything, is a failure on their part and will hurt them long-term. The longer they get into release, the more people realize GW2 is just another generic fantasy themepark on a nice wrapper. The difference is GW2 is not getting any more sales, and the rose-coloured glasses are coming off.

And you do realize that setting up an extreme amount of servers to over compensate for initial playerbase is terrible. There is nothing worse than shutting down servers and then consildating them. 

Also, NCSoft has not had any large ad campaign pushed at all. Nothing on tv to speak of unlike other large AAA titles. My belief is that after the normal playerbase leveling you will see a huge ad campaign.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Remember to check the Alrite let's do this - Sales Predictions after two months Thread to see your pre-launch predictions.